PDA

View Full Version : Editing/Converting Ty Files

weezerfan9
04-03-2004, 05:43 PM
I've transfered my .TY files to my HD and when i open up TyStudio Editor to edit them it always crashes 49% into indexing them.

Is there any other program to convert/edit the .TY files to DVD besides TyStudio?

Thanks for the help.

jdiner
04-03-2004, 05:55 PM
I've transfered my .TY files to my HD and when i open up TyStudio Editor to edit them it always crashes 49% into indexing them.

Is there any other program to convert/edit the .TY files to DVD besides TyStudio?

Thanks for the help.
There is a better program which is still under development called TyTool. Look in the sticky threads at the top of this very forum for the most recent thread. There is a new FAQ for that program as well as references to help documents which should smooth the way found in that same thread. The FAQ can be access from the GUI via a web browser.

--jdiner

TheWickedPriest
04-04-2004, 12:46 AM
If you're going to call it "a better program", you ought to mention that you're the author. Bias and all that. :)

jdiner
04-04-2004, 12:49 AM
If you're going to call it "a better program", you ought to mention that you're the author. Bias and all that. :)
True. Very true.

For the public: I am the author.

By better I was thinking stability, although that is a work in progress again, but most specifically the FAE processing which is really pretty slick.

Anyway, not trying to stir up trouble.

EDIT: Oh. And just so there are no misunderstandings I do think it is the better program. But then as mentioned I wrote it, it does exactly the things I want, and does them well. I am sure those still using TyStudio feel the same about it.

--jdiner

hart316
04-04-2004, 02:48 AM
Oh. And just so there are no misunderstandings I do think it is the better program.
--jdiner

DAMN RIGHT it's a better program. KUDOS to you jdiner! It's people like you that make tivo hacking easier for people like us!!!

I agree, use tytools it is awesome for creating DVD's. Who cares about menus and all that fancy stuff...I could take too much time to create a DVD that tytools does VERY well...even with custom backgrounds, titles and all!!!

TheDoctor950
05-05-2004, 02:58 PM
I'm pretty much a total newbie, just got my unit (Philips DSR704) 120GB drive updated. I tired Tystudio and got the 49% crash error, then started to use TyTools, and wow, I'm converting and making Tivo videos in five minutes! DVD and SVCD this is very well done! Kudos!
---TheDoctor

captain_video
05-05-2004, 04:27 PM
There is a better program which is still under development called TyTool.

If you're going to call it "a better program", you ought to mention that you're the author. Bias and all that.

I don't call that bias but rather a statement of fact. TyStudio has long since been abandoned by its developers and was always problematic whereas jdiner has continually strived to improve TyTools from day 1 (and has done a marvelous job, IMHO). For all the work he's put into it I think Josh has earned the right to a little bit of shameless self-promotion. ;)

alldeadhomiez
05-05-2004, 05:20 PM
I don't call that bias but rather a statement of fact.

No, it's an opinion. But here's a fact: those of us who want to tinker with the source code or don't run Windows are far better served by tystudio, in spite of its flaws.

As they say, different strokes for different folks.

captain_video
05-05-2004, 09:38 PM
But here's a fact: those of us who want to tinker with the source code or don't run Windows are far better served by tystudio, in spite of its flaws.

I stand corrected. It was indeed an opinion but one I, and many others, strongly support. I have used both programs extensively and found TyTools to be better suited for my purposes, not to mention far less problematic. Newbies and Windows users will undoubtedly find this to be the case. I had high hopes for TyStudio when the 2nd version was released but got very frustrated with the constant crashes that occurred. This always resulted in the ty file having to be reindexed after each crash, even though I had tyindexer running on the Tivo side. I like the concept of generating a non-volatile key file much better since it will survive a crash which virtually never occurs with TyTools unless I'm stupid enough to be running a half dozen applications in the background.

TyStudio would crash on me in a heartbeat and did so almost every time I used it, no matter what steps I tried to correct any problems. The introduction of frame-accurate editing with TyTools leaves TyStudio in the dust, IMO. Once upon a time you could make a side by side comparison of the two programs but it's not even close anymore. Keep in mind that I am speaking from a user's standpoint and not from a developer's point of view so it's certain that our opinions will differ from that perspective.

lart2150
05-05-2004, 11:03 PM
I have never had the current TyStudio crash on me but i'm using a s1 standalone so I have simple ty files on ac3 and not s2

Will
05-06-2004, 02:28 AM
I have never had the current TyStudio crash on me but i'm using a s1 standalone so I have simple ty files

Nor does it ever crash for me with my s1 DTivo files. And there's certainly an elegance about it.

But as a program still actively being developed and updated and capable of dealing with more complex needs than you or I have, clearly it's fair to call TYTools better.

n3talie
05-06-2004, 01:30 PM
I've the same results with tystudio at 49% and I thought it was just me, thank you for clearing everything up. The only tool that'll work for me is tytools9r13, but the only problem with it is that all my mpeg2 file is only reporting 3:37 mins instead of the actual time no matter which method I use to convert the ty file. I don't know if someone else has the same problem as me or not. Another thing I can see is that the quality is pretty bad when it comes to fast action scene, which I don't know is a tytools problem where the key isn't that well developed or it's just the tserver not giving us the best stream. I'm a noob and hope I haven't step on anyone's toes but just stating what problems I'm having with so that someone could shred some lights on me. Thank you all for giving me such a great time with my tivo.

captain_video
05-06-2004, 04:15 PM
but the only problem with it is that all my mpeg2 file is only reporting 3:37 mins instead of the actual time no matter which method I use to convert the ty file.

If you're referring to the time displayed for the end of the last cut in a ty file then this is normal for all ty files, no matter what the size. The quality issue is a DTV thing, probably a result of using too low a bit rate for the broadcast in question and has nothing to do with TyTools. There is no transcoding or conversion of any kind taking place so what you're seeing is in the recording itself. If you play back the show on the Tivo you'll see the same artifacts on your TV that you're seeing on your PC. A key file just registers the locations of each GOP header in the mpeg stream of the ty file.

n3talie
05-06-2004, 04:34 PM
I'm not sure what the key file is or does and I'm pretty sure you're correct on that. However, watching the show on the Tivo is perfectly fine, but after pulling it off the tivo with tytools or mfs_ftp to watch it on the PC or on my xbox isn't that great. When there's little or no motion the quality is great, but like I last posted, the fast action scene is horrible if not played on the tivo. This lead me to believe there's more to it then just a DTV problem. If I used my mpeg2 capture hardware and pulled the video/audio from tivo/receiver through the rca cable, then the quality is great even on the fast action scene, but this is such a slow process.

sanderton
05-07-2004, 05:17 AM
I'm not sure what the key file is or does and I'm pretty sure you're correct on that. However, watching the show on the Tivo is perfectly fine, but after pulling it off the tivo with tytools or mfs_ftp to watch it on the PC or on my xbox isn't that great. When there's little or no motion the quality is great, but like I last posted, the fast action scene is horrible if not played on the tivo. This lead me to believe there's more to it then just a DTV problem. If I used my mpeg2 capture hardware and pulled the video/audio from tivo/receiver through the rca cable, then the quality is great even on the fast action scene, but this is such a slow process.

Are you playing it full screen? Remember you are actually enlarging the image massively of you do that as the original is 480 x 480 pixels, not the likely 1024 x 768 of the screen. Some PC video cards can't keep up with playing MPEGs and enlarging them to full screen in real time.

TyTool does not touch the content of the MPEG2 data at all.

n3talie
05-07-2004, 06:22 AM
Are you playing it full screen? Remember you are actually enlarging the image massively of you do that as the original is 480 x 480 pixels, not the likely 1024 x 768 of the screen. Some PC video cards can't keep up with playing MPEGs and enlarging them to full screen in real time.

TyTool does not touch the content of the MPEG2 data at all.

As I have stated that everything is keep constant except for the process of tytools/tserver/mfs_ftp compared to pulling it in with my capture card with the rca cable. I play both the same way either on PC/Xbox, whether it's full screen or not, the quality of my capture card from the tivo is better then the quality of tserver/tytools/mfs_ftp. I'm pretty sure tytools does nothing with the mpeg file now that so many people has noted it, but then maybe it's the tserver, as I have previously stated, be the cause of the problem. Another idea that pops in my mind is that maybe because my unit has RID on it that it could also be the cause of it, but I highly doubt it.