PDA

View Full Version : Universal Slice Upgrade Tool

Sleeper
04-03-2004, 06:43 PM
I am starting this thread for discussion of the Universal Slice Upgrade Tool that was born in these two threads:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31952

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32780

Mods, please spin off the relavent posts from those threads and merge into this one.

DO NOT ASK STUPID OR SUPPORT QUESTIONS IN THIS THREAD like "when will it be released" or "will it work for my version" or "I did this and now ...", etc... This thread is for development discussion only!

SPECIFICATIONS/GOALS/REQUIREMENTS

a) Work on monte'd and prom modded Series 2 units. Series 1 will only be included if a developer with a S1 unit is able to test and debug.

b) Not software version specific.

c) Work on system that has the slices already loaded but upgrade has been prevented.

d) User can specify the location of the slices. Slices will not be packaged wit this tool.

e) Keeps all existing hacks/utilities in tact while upgrading.

AlphaWolf
04-03-2004, 07:23 PM
Maybe the script could allow to jump from 3.1c to 4.0? and vice versa?

If the methods I described in both of said threads are used, then yes, you can do this, and all it requires is a 20 meg download. So far as downgrading, I have zero reason to believe that you can't do it across most software versions. (the only downgrade that you absolutely can't/shouldn't do is go below 1.3 due to differences in the MFS structure)

04-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Sleeper--I don't see any (public) site hosting slice files or image files. I think the easiest way is to let the tivo D/L the software and then have a script file finish the install and hack it. Might be nice if there was a way to get the sofware via the satellite (people were able to do this in the past) or at least via ethernet.

Not sure if it's easier to figure out what hacks are presently installed or just ask what hacks the user wants installed. For that matter if you leave the user with a working bash prompt and network drivers additional hacks can be installed the old fashioned way.

At some time I may just follow AW's suggestions (if a script isn't available first). I monted before you came out with your script but I'm not sure I'll succeed in upgrading without having to pull the drive. If I do it on my own I'll have to wait until I have a day to spend if it doesn't work the easy way.

Sleeper
04-14-2004, 05:52 PM
Sleeper--I don't see any (public) site hosting slice files or image files. I think the easiest way is to let the tivo D/L the software and then have a script file finish the install and hack it.

Yes, the current code allows you to specify the location of the slice files. So if you have them great. They are also floating around on p2p.

Might be nice if there was a way to get the sofware via the satellite (people were able to do this in the past) or at least via ethernet.

Vertex claimed he got it over the sat. I wonder why everone did not get it then. If you investigate and figure it out, great. That is currently not in my scope.

Not sure if it's easier to figure out what hacks are presently installed or just ask what hacks the user wants installed. For that matter if you leave the user with a working bash prompt and network drivers additional hacks can be installed the old fashioned way.

All hacks will be copied and will work.

At some time I may just follow AW's suggestions (if a script isn't available first). I monted before you came out with your script but I'm not sure I'll succeed in upgrading without having to pull the drive. If I do it on my own I'll have to wait until I have a day to spend if it doesn't work the easy way.

Go for it! The script will be out soon.

04-14-2004, 10:26 PM
Sleeper--
Thanks for the reply.

Suggestion--Have your script force an ethernet call to D/L the software from tivo/directv. Should be quick and a lot easier than hunting for slice files on p2p. If that's a problem at least let your script start with someone who got the software via phone or ethernet. Slice files would probably already have been loaded.

PGM posted (a year ago?) that sometimes (maybe beta) the slice files were available from the satellite. You could see the availability in the log files and coul edit the sc.tcl file to grab them.

Sleeper
04-14-2004, 11:21 PM
PGM posted (a year ago?) that sometimes (maybe beta) the slice files were available from the satellite. You could see the availability in the log files and coul edit the sc.tcl file to grab them.

I checked into this. Great idea. Could just install a modified sc.tcl. Once the slices are downloaded, the script could detect them and automatically run. Is the name of the token SW_released or SW_rollout_********?

I don't have any "SW_" groups in my kernel log.

04-15-2004, 09:11 AM
I checked into this. Great idea. Could just install a modified sc.tcl. Once the slices are downloaded, the script could detect them and automatically run. Is the name of the token SW_released or SW_rollout_********?

I don't have any "SW_" groups in my kernel log.

I don't think they're currently using the satellite for slice files. It may have only been a beta test. I check my logs every so often for slices that my system isn't accepting. Something to look at for the future. Here's a link to the thread
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=72870#post72870

I favor using the ethernet to make a real phone call to grab the software.

malfunct
04-24-2004, 08:01 PM
I favor using the ethernet to make a real phone call to grab the software.

Can this be done for DTivo machines? If so I'm going to get searching on how to set it up.