PDA

View Full Version : mfs_tmfstream tool BETA release

jonbig
04-10-2004, 07:00 PM
Here is the source for my mfs_tmfstream tool for extracting TiVo recordings in .tmf format from a drive directly attached to your PC. It is based on tridge's vserver-1.2 source code, which I have included along with a few patches.

Please keep support & change requests here in this thread until the beta period is over.

contemplativo
04-25-2004, 04:03 AM
Thank you, jonbig, for providing this tool.

Can anyone help with this set-up issue: after setting up a linux environment on the WinXP box (Topologolinux?), jonbig's mfs_tmfstream will compile, but attempts to access the attached Tivo drive (e.g. with mfs_info) result in error reports of "Not a Tivo Superblock." Same error with the precompiled version. On the other hand, working from a linux boot cd (e.g. mfstools 2.0, turbonet install cd), the Tivo drive is recognized, but is missing elements of the library needed to compile or use commands in the toolset (glibc2.3).

I'm working with a T60.

jonbig
04-25-2004, 10:32 AM
Thank you, jonbig, for providing this tool.

Can anyone help with this set-up issue: after setting up a linux environment on the WinXP box (Topologolinux?), jonbig's mfs_tmfstream will compile, but attempts to access the attached Tivo drive (e.g. with mfs_info) result in error reports of "Not a Tivo Superblock." Same error with the precompiled version. On the other hand, working from a linux boot cd (e.g. mfstools 2.0, turbonet install cd), the Tivo drive is recognized, but is missing elements of the library needed to compile or use commands in the toolset (glibc2.3).

I'm working with a T60.

I'm not familiar with Series 1 TiVos, having done all my work with an HDVR2. Have you tried booting from Sleeper's Knoppix Tivo CD?

contemplativo
04-26-2004, 12:51 AM
Thanks, jonbig, for the quick reply and suggestion.

Trying Sleeper's Knoppix Tivo CD resolved the glibc problem. But attempts to recognize MFS partitions still lead to the "not a Tivo Superblock" errors. It seems likely that this error stems from using an S1 Tivo.

I wonder if anyone else has succeeded in using mfs_tmfstream with an S1 Tivo. If not, I wonder how difficult it would be for an S1 user to adapt the program.

jonbig
04-26-2004, 02:16 AM
Thanks, jonbig, for the quick reply and suggestion.

Trying Sleeper's Knoppix Tivo CD resolved the glibc problem. But attempts to recognize MFS partitions still lead to the "not a Tivo Superblock" errors. It seems likely that this error stems from using an S1 Tivo.

I wonder if anyone else has succeeded in using mfs_tmfstream with an S1 Tivo. If not, I wonder how difficult it would be for an S1 user to adapt the program.

I'm sure people have used the base underlying software from tridge that I used to create mfs_tmfstream on S1 TiVos. What version of the TiVo software was running on your T60? Why were you trying to extract data from the drive? Had the TiVo failed in some way?

I'm afraid that if you aren't a C programmer, you are probably not going to be able to easily diagnose this problem.

contemplativo
04-26-2004, 03:38 AM
Things seem to be working now after setting the MFS_DEVICE variable (to "/dev/hdc10" I think), as suggested in alpha's how-to for direct extraction. From your toolset, used mfs_stream to get a list of fsid's, then mfs_export to copy a file over. The transfer seemed to go much faster than one via internet. Very nice.

tmf2ty_cfg.exe choked on the file (some grammatical error was reported). Can't think of why, the file was the right size (about .5 gig for a half-hour show). So that (hopefully minor) kink remains.

You asked why I am extracting and whether my Tivo had failed. Although one of my 5 or 6 full 120 gig drives has lost its telnet/ftp access, the rest are undamaged, running 2.5.1 or 2.5.2. These drives are in removable drive trays that insert into drive bays in the Tivo and PC. So direct extraction seems to be more convenient than transfers via turbonet. Ultimately, I will be converting to mpeg and editing heavily.

jonbig
04-26-2004, 04:34 PM
tmf2ty_cfg.exe choked on the file (some grammatical error was reported). Can't think of why, the file was the right size (about .5 gig for a half-hour show). So that (hopefully minor) kink remains.

Can you give me more info on the error so I can see if I need to make a fix?

AlphaWolf
04-26-2004, 05:10 PM
It's possible that theres an error associated with your sw version...many developers these days are abandoning all versions below 3.x.

contemplativo
04-27-2004, 02:52 AM
Here is the error message from tmf2ty:

C:\mpeg_editing\tmf2ty>tmf2ty_cfg.exe RPM_2Night.tmf
00:00 - entering init
00:00 - savepath.txt found, basepath is "c:/mpeg_editing/ty+/from_tmf/"
00:00 - filename is "RPM_2Night.tmf"
00:00 - file root is "RPM_2Night"
00:00 - file tail is "RPM_2Night.tmf"
00:00 - root tail is "RPM_2Night"
input filename is "RPM_2Night.tmf"
00:00 - entering getxml
Error sourcing /muxfol/tcldev/tmf2ty_cfg.tcl: syntax error in expression "?(ER
▲:`♠"
%

jonbig
04-27-2004, 02:33 PM
Here is the error message from tmf2ty:

C:\mpeg_editing\tmf2ty>tmf2ty_cfg.exe RPM_2Night.tmf
00:00 - entering init
00:00 - savepath.txt found, basepath is "c:/mpeg_editing/ty+/from_tmf/"
00:00 - filename is "RPM_2Night.tmf"
00:00 - file root is "RPM_2Night"
00:00 - file tail is "RPM_2Night.tmf"
00:00 - root tail is "RPM_2Night"
input filename is "RPM_2Night.tmf"
00:00 - entering getxml
Error sourcing /muxfol/tcldev/tmf2ty_cfg.tcl: syntax error in expression "?(ER
▲:`♠"
%

That doesn't look like mfs_tmfstream has anything to do with your problem.

bitst0rm
05-05-2004, 01:14 AM
Things seem to be working now after setting the MFS_DEVICE variable (to "/dev/hdc10" I think), as suggested in alpha's how-to for direct extraction. From your toolset, used mfs_stream to get a list of fsid's, then mfs_export to copy a file over. The transfer seemed to go much faster than one via internet. Very nice.

You asked why I am extracting and whether my Tivo had failed. Although one of my 5 or 6 full 120 gig drives has lost its telnet/ftp access, the rest are undamaged, running 2.5.1 or 2.5.2. These drives are in removable drive trays that insert into drive bays in the Tivo and PC. So direct extraction seems to be more convenient than transfers via turbonet. Ultimately, I will be converting to mpeg and editing heavily.

I'm still having trouble with these binaries. I'm using SLeepers Knoppix 3.3, in PC, Tivo Drive is hdc. I'm getting the superblock error (0x00000000). Any tips?

jonbig
05-05-2004, 07:48 PM
I'm still having trouble with these binaries. I'm using SLeepers Knoppix 3.3, in PC, Tivo Drive is hdc. I'm getting the superblock error (0x00000000). Any tips?

More info is necessary:

What type of TiVo did you pull the drive from? What the drive failing in the TiVo?

What does Knoppix report about the drive when you boot?

What are you setting the MFS_DEVICE or MFS_DEVLIST environment variables to?

bitst0rm
05-06-2004, 01:29 AM
More info is necessary:

What type of TiVo did you pull the drive from? What the drive failing in the TiVo?

What does Knoppix report about the drive when you boot?

What are you setting the MFS_DEVICE or MFS_DEVLIST environment variables to?

Okay, sorry for the Newbish questions, am NOT Linux Guru, but i'm using this project as an excuse to force myself to learn. :)

1) Original 40GB drive from DSR7000. Drive wasn't failing, just upgraded to bigger drive and want to extract and archive old shows off original

2) TiVo Drive mounted as Secondary Master

3) Booted Sleeper's Knoppix3.3 w/ "knoppix ide=nodma hdc=swapdata"

4) Using your i386 binaries

5) mfsinfo reports the following:
MFS volume set contains 4 partitions
/dev/hdc10
MFS partition size 512MiB
/dev/hdc11
MFS partition size 16162MiB
/dev/hdc12
MFS partition size 512MiB
/dev/hdc13
MFS partition size 21563MiB
Total MFS volume size 38749MiB

5) MFS_DEVICE="/dev/hdc"
MFS_DEVLIST="/dev/hdc10 /dev/hdc11 /dev/hdc12 /dev/hdc13"

6) I run ./mfs_streams or ./mfs_info
Not a TiVo super block! (magic=0x00000000)

Thanks in advance for any advice

contemplativo
05-06-2004, 05:17 AM
From your toolset, used mfs_stream to get a list of fsid's, then mfs_export to copy a file over...

tmf2ty_cfg.exe choked on the file (some grammatical error was reported).

I haven't actually tried tmf2ty again, but presumably the reason it choked on my file was because the file was .ty and not .tmf. That's because the file was generated using mfs_export rather than mfs_tmfstream. Oops, I only read the one README describing the use of mfs_export, vplay, etc., (with no mention of the mfs_tmfstream command) and I incorrectly assumed these were modified tmf-outputting versions of the originals.

Now mfs_tmfstream is producing tar files that look right. And the .ty-generating programs are right there if wanted. Thanks, jonbig.

contemplativo
05-06-2004, 05:50 AM
5) MFS_DEVICE="/dev/hdc"

6) I run ./mfs_streams or ./mfs_info
Not a TiVo super block! (magic=0x00000000)

bitst0rm, try setting MFS_DEVLIST to /dev/hdc. That works for me, whereas MFS_DEVLIST="/dev/hdc10 /dev/hdc11 /dev/hdc12 /dev/hdc13" causes the super block error.

I have successfully run mfs_tmfstream with MFS_DEVICE="/dev/hdc10", per alphawolf's how-to for direct extraction, although if it's like mfs_streams, it will also run with
MFS_DEVICE="/dev/hdc11"
MFS_DEVICE="/dev/hdc12"
MFS_DEVICE="/dev/hdc13"
MFS_DEVICE="/dev/hdc10 /dev/hdc11 /dev/hdc12 /dev/hdc13"
MFS_DEVICE="/dev/hdc"

Hope this helps.

bitst0rm
05-07-2004, 12:53 PM
bitst0rm, try setting MFS_DEVLIST to /dev/hdc. That works for me, whereas MFS_DEVLIST="/dev/hdc10 /dev/hdc11 /dev/hdc12 /dev/hdc13" causes the super block error.

I have successfully run mfs_tmfstream with MFS_DEVICE="/dev/hdc10", per alphawolf's how-to for direct extraction, although if it's like mfs_streams, it will also run with
MFS_DEVICE="/dev/hdc11"
MFS_DEVICE="/dev/hdc12"
MFS_DEVICE="/dev/hdc13"
MFS_DEVICE="/dev/hdc10 /dev/hdc11 /dev/hdc12 /dev/hdc13"
MFS_DEVICE="/dev/hdc"

Hope this helps.

Hmmm.....this results in:

4 MFS partions found
Failed to map sector XXXXXXXX

i'm beginning to wonder if someone (read: ME) was careless and accidentally booted into WindowsXP while the Tivo drive was attached. However, if i run MFSTOOLS it can read the drive and does recoginze all partitions on it

contemplativo
05-07-2004, 11:13 PM
3) Booted Sleeper's Knoppix3.3 w/ "knoppix ide=nodma hdc=swapdata"

I don't use these boot options, but I was unable to duplicate the "Failure to map sector" error when I tried it, so I doubt that's it.

bitst0rm
05-08-2004, 01:32 AM
Set MFS_DEVICE="/dev/hdc"

I now have a 1.2GB tmf file.

WARNING!!! newb question follows:

While i scour the boards...whats the least painful way to get this sucker converted and burned?

sanderton
05-08-2004, 05:57 AM
TyTool.....

Tiros
05-08-2004, 12:21 PM
Failure!
MFS_DEVLIST="/dev/hdc /dev/hdd"
MFS_DEVICE="/dev/hdc10 /dev/hdc11 /dev/hdc12 /dev/hdc13 /dev/hdd2 /dev/hdd3"

If I run anything like mfs_info i get:
"wrong magic 638a in partition 0"

The Knoppix lite CD with mfsinfo returns something like:

"This set contains 6 partitions
hdc10 512 MiB
hdc11 11403 MiB
hdc12 512 MiB
hdc13 15746 MiB
hdd2 4 MiB
hdd3 42497MiB"
and there is no error message.
Looking over the source for partition.c I see the magic number is hard coded. These are a pair of drives from an old DSR6000 something like 2.5 (pre dual tuner version).

Did the magic number ever change ?
Should i recompile the binaries with "638a" ?
Why would the knoppix disk mfs_info work?

BTUx9
05-25-2004, 03:38 PM
Possible fix for "Not a TiVo super block! (magic=0x00000000)" error

Anyone running into this problem, please try this binary to see if it fixes it.

I've also included a minor program that makes it much easier to select which recordings to pull, and automates the process.

Please let me know if this works, so I can have jonbig merge it into the main sources.

jonbig
05-25-2004, 04:11 PM
Anyone running into this problem

It might be a good idea to be specific about which problem you are referring to. :)

BTUx9
05-25-2004, 04:14 PM
It might be a good idea to be specific about which problem you are referring to. :)
It's in the Title of the post... super block problem, but I'll put it in the text, too, to make it more obvious

ronnythunder
05-25-2004, 11:49 PM
booting into windows 2000/xp will only clobber the bootparms (if that), not anything in the mfs partitions. as for the "bad magic" stuff, i had problems with a failing disk that i was trying to salvage shows on; the magic would be bad, but the extraction would work. this was all pre-mfs_tarstream; i just edited the source, commented out the magic checks and let it rip.

is it possible your disk is bad/dying?

ronny

Tang
06-04-2004, 10:55 AM
I have 2 160g hard drives that I pulled from my Dtivo that was hacked using the sleeper ISO. I have them hooked up as slave and master on the secondary IDE. I partitioned a 200g space on a 300g drive as an ext2 using Partition magic 8.0. I know have that drive as the Master on the the primary IDE with the CDrom as the slave. I boot up with Knoppix lite 3.3 and I have copied your files from the dos partition on the 300g drive to the ext2 partition. I do not no where to go from here, I am looking to copy all the shows to the 200g partition and then perform the sleeper ISO again on the 2 160g drives (I have my original drive to use) and then copy the shows back. I am having to do this because of the green screen error that woould not ever recover. Then like and idoit i performed the surgery and hack phase of the sleeper ISO without fliping the bootpage. Any help would be greatly apreciated because if I loose my wifes dallas episodes there will be hell to pay.

jonbig
06-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Any help would be greatly apreciated because if I loose my wifes dallas episodes there will be hell to pay.

You can use mfs_tmfstream to extract the recordings, but the only way to put them back on to a drive is by using mfs_ftp to connect to your TiVo.

Here's your basic strategy:

1. Read the README files that come with my mfs_tmfstream distribution.

2. Set your MFS_DEVLIST environment variable correctly, and verify with mfs_info and/or mfs_ls.

3. Use mfs_ls /Recording/NowShowingByTitle to get the list of recordings and their FSIDs

4. Use mfs_tmfstream to extract and save each recording you need.

5. Set up a new drive in your TiVO, hack it in the usual way to enable networking and install the mfs_ftp package.

6. If your previous TiVo wasn't hacked to record unscrambled, you will need to extract the scrambling key from the old drives using mfs_dumpobj and restore it to your new drive via the method described in the mfs_ftp package's scramble_utlities directory.

7. Use an ftp client to restore your recordings back to the new TiVo drive.

You should do plenty of reading on these forums to find answers that you may have about each specific step.

Tang
06-04-2004, 03:24 PM
You can use mfs_tmfstream to extract the recordings, but the only way to put them back on to a drive is by using mfs_ftp to connect to your TiVo.

2. Set your MFS_DEVLIST environment variable correctly, and verify with mfs_info and/or mfs_ls.

3. Use mfs_ls /Recording/NowShowingByTitle to get the list of recordings and their FSIDs

5. Set up a new drive in your TiVO, hack it in the usual way to enable networking and install the mfs_ftp package.

6. If your previous TiVo wasn't hacked to record unscrambled, you will need to extract the scrambling key from the old drives using mfs_dumpobj and restore it to your new drive via the method described in the mfs_ftp package's scramble_utlities directory.

You should do plenty of reading on these forums to find answers that you may have about each specific step.

Thank you for the information. Looks like my weekend is gong to be a busy one. I will make sure and research the steps before I begin. I am planning on putting the same drives back in the tivo that I took out(I don't think they are bad). Is there anyway to verify that the files I have retrieved are good before I fdisk these drives?

BTUx9
06-04-2004, 06:49 PM
Thank you for the information. Looks like my weekend is gong to be a busy one. I will make sure and research the steps before I begin. I am planning on putting the same drives back in the tivo that I took out(I don't think they are bad). Is there anyway to verify that the files I have retrieved are good before I fdisk these drives?
If you have been using your 2 large drives for some time, then the backup of your original drive is proven good. I'd suggest monteing the original 40gb and trying to restore a show to it... if all is kosher, it should play fine.

Tang
06-04-2004, 10:13 PM
If you have been using your 2 large drives for some time, then the backup of your original drive is proven good. I'd suggest monteing the original 40gb and trying to restore a show to it... if all is kosher, it should play fine.
If I mount my original drive and transfer a show to it. How will it play if this drive has not beened hacked for no-scramble?

BTUx9
06-04-2004, 10:18 PM
If I mount my original drive and transfer a show to it. How will it play if this drive has not beened hacked for no-scramble?
That's why I suggested monte-ing it. I assume the streams on your existing drives are unscrambled.

Tang
06-04-2004, 10:27 PM
Sorry I misread. It thought you meant to mount it on the PC to transfer the file. I thought monte-ing your original drive is a big no-no. I have it in the Tivo now so my wife can watch TV. If I destroy that one I will have to pack my bags. I due have a couple of other drives around, I will try using one of those.

BTUx9
06-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Sorry I misread. It thought you meant to mount it on the PC to transfer the file. I thought monte-ing your original drive is a big no-no. I have it in the Tivo now so my wife can watch TV. If I destroy that one I will have to pack my bags. I due have a couple of other drives around, I will try using one of those.
While transferring a show to a drive mounted in a PC is certainly possible, there is no turnkey solution for this currently available, so it requires some knowledge and hacking ability. Transferring the recordings to a running tivo via mfs_ftp is a solution that requires much less hacking.

If you have a spare drive, that's great... I only suggested using the original because many don't have spare 40+ gb drives lying around.

Once the process is proven, and you are able to watch a show or 2 that came from the GSOD disks, then, after pulling off all the shows you want to keep, it'll be fairly safe to reimage them, so they can go back in your tivo. Before that, tho, you'll want to run disk diagnostics on them to be sure the GSOD wasn't from a disk on its last legs.

stew1165
07-05-2004, 12:51 AM

JonBig -
I have several S2 Dtivos, so my particular focus is concerning S2's.
In Step 6 as quoted above, what is the syntax for extracting fsids using mfs_dumpobj? And once a program has been extracted can it be inserted via mfs_ftp to any other S2 Dtivo? Does the whole S2 scramble/unscramble ever come into play with this type of extraction and insertion? Based on my study of the scramble thread as of July 4th 2004 there is still no util to unscramble S2. Does your utility by pass the S2 scramble issue...Am I barking up the wrong tree...I have read so many different threads... :confused: my goal is to move 'scrambled' S2 Dtivo programs to my newest S2 Dtivo after I have used the sleeper iso on the new Dtivo. Then I plan on installing the sleeper iso on the older S2 Dtivos and copying programs between them all. If I understand what I have read correctly this is do able with existing hacks, scripts, and patches. Comments and or advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

BTUx9
07-05-2004, 12:58 AM
JonBig -
I have several S2 Dtivos, so my particular focus is concerning S2's.
In Step 6 as quoted above, what is the syntax for extracting fsids using mfs_dumpobj? And once a program has been extracted can it be inserted via mfs_ftp to any other S2 Dtivo? Does the whole S2 scramble/unscramble ever come into play with this type of extraction and insertion? Based on my study of the scramble thread as of July 4th 2004 there is still no util to unscramble S2. Does your utility by pass the S2 scramble issue...Am I barking up the wrong tree...I have read so many different threads... :confused: my goal is to move 'scrambled' S2 Dtivo programs to my newest S2 Dtivo after I have used the sleeper iso on the new Dtivo. Then I plan on installing the sleeper iso on the older S2 Dtivos and copying programs between them all. If I understand what I have read correctly this is do able with existing hacks, scripts, and patches. Comments and or advice would be greatly appreciated. :)
Lotta questions.
1) If you use mfsbackup/mfsrestore or sleeper's, you won't need to make a backup of the DC key (it gets backed up/restored)

2) At this point, there is no publicly available tool to unscramble scrambled s2 recordings. The only thing you can do is backup temporarily to PC, then insert back to the SAME s2 tivo they came from. (only exception to this is transplanting the crypto chip, but that's only used in extreme situations)

3) New recordings, once you've disabled encryption, should be sharable between tivos (only exception is playing s1 dtivo recordings on an s2 dtivo, but that's being worked on, and is actually POSSIBLE now, just not convenient)

stew1165
07-05-2004, 05:46 AM
Lotta questions.
1) If you use mfsbackup/mfsrestore or sleeper's, you won't need to make a backup of the DC key (it gets backed up/restored)

2) At this point, there is no publicly available tool to unscramble scrambled s2 recordings. The only thing you can do is backup temporarily to PC, then insert back to the SAME s2 tivo they came from. (only exception to this is transplanting the crypto chip, but that's only used in extreme situations)

3) New recordings, once you've disabled encryption, should be sharable between tivos (only exception is playing s1 dtivo recordings on an s2 dtivo, but that's being worked on, and is actually POSSIBLE now, just not convenient)

Thanks for the clarification BTUx9! If anyone has info about usage (syntax) of the mfs_dumpobj, I would greatly appreciate that as well.
The time and effort invested by all of you is nothing short of unbelievable!!
Thank you all, so very much!! :)

BTUx9
07-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the clarification BTUx9! If anyone has info about usage (syntax) of the mfs_dumpobj, I would greatly appreciate that as well.
The time and effort invested by all of you is nothing short of unbelievable!!
Thank you all, so very much!! :)
for grabbing the DC key, the command would be: mfs_dumpobj /State/Media >dckey.txt

reinserting it back onto the tivo is the issue... the tool from mfs_ftp works with xml files, but that's not what dumpobj creates.

The DC Key should be in the file (in text) as: (UNKNOWN= line), and the line could be cut/pasted into a valid DC_key.xml

remember that this key only works in conjunction with data in the crypto chip. (i.e. you can't just restore it to a different tivo)

stew1165
07-05-2004, 09:28 PM
for grabbing the DC key, the command would be: mfs_dumpobj /State/Media >dckey.txt

reinserting it back onto the tivo is the issue... the tool from mfs_ftp works with xml files, but that's not what dumpobj creates.

The DC Key should be in the file (in text) as: (UNKNOWN= line), and the line could be cut/pasted into a valid DC_key.xml

remember that this key only works in conjunction with data in the crypto chip. (i.e. you can't just restore it to a different tivo)

I may have misunderstood but I was of the impression that by using the mfs_dumpobj util, one could determine the fsids of programs on the drive you are running mfs_dumpobj on. Then one would be able to extract the programs wanted from that drvie an re-insert them back into the same S2 Dtivo. I have 2 120 GB drives with shows I would like to extract back to my Dtivo. (The one the drives came out of). Thanks again BTUx9!!

alldeadhomiez
07-05-2004, 10:47 PM
I may have misunderstood but I was of the impression that by using the mfs_dumpobj util, one could determine the fsids of programs on the drive you are running mfs_dumpobj on.

This was already covered; in fact you quoted the instructions that told you how to find them: look under /Recording. Use mfs_ls to examine a tyDir (directory/index), and mfs_dumpobj to examine a tyDb (database object). If you don't know which one to use, try both. Arguments to either utility may be either a path or an fsid.

Hint to BTUx9: your object types should not be showing up as UNKNOWN. If they are, you need to get a more recent copy of schema.txt and change your TIVO_SCHEMA environment variable to point to it.

Reminder: please keep this discussion technical in nature, as it is in the development forums. If you need to get up to speed on how to find things in MFS, post your questions in the Newbie forum.

contemplativo
07-20-2004, 09:14 PM
I've also included a minor program that makes it much easier to select which recordings to pull, and automates the process.

Please let me know if this works, so I can have jonbig merge it into the main sources.

Is the program referred to here (and in the direct extraction thread) still available? I don't see an attachment. Was it merged by jonbig into the main sources?

ibsleepn
08-02-2004, 12:58 PM
In the mfs.c file there is refrence to "BAD_SUPER_HACK" and advises you to "set" it if your superblock is damaged. How do you do that and are the binaries compiled to take atvantage of that? I did "export BAD_SUPER_HACK" and "export BAD_SUPER_HACK=1" with the same results. Telling me i had a bad superblock and mfs_info wouldn't run but did find mfs partitions. I am running this under the knoppix's 3.3 mini versions and was trying to run the Makefile after trying to edit the mfs.c to remove the check like someone else did but i guess you need the right complier and it is not a command line file. Any help out there Please.

Ib..

jonbig
08-02-2004, 02:10 PM
In the mfs.c file there is refrence to "BAD_SUPER_HACK" and advises you to "set" it if your superblock is damaged. How do you do that and are the binaries compiled to take atvantage of that? I did "export BAD_SUPER_HACK" and "export BAD_SUPER_HACK=1" with the same results. Telling me i had a bad superblock and mfs_info wouldn't run but did find mfs partitions. I am running this under the knoppix's 3.3 mini versions and was trying to run the Makefile after trying to edit the mfs.c to remove the check like someone else did but i guess you need the right complier and it is not a command line file. Any help out there Please.

The binaries I posted do not have this hack enabled.

If you've got an environment to rebuild the tools from scratch, you need to modify the Makefile and add "-DBAD_SUPER_HACK" to the HOST_CFLAGS line.

I made a note of this and may offer a switch that turns on the hack in future releases.

ibsleepn
08-02-2004, 04:34 PM
The binaries I posted do not have this hack enabled.

If you've got an environment to rebuild the tools from scratch, you need to modify the Makefile and add "-DBAD_SUPER_HACK" to the HOST_CFLAGS line.

I made a note of this and may offer a switch that turns on the hack in future releases.

Do they need to be c compiler in windows or do they need to be compiled on a linux box?

BTW thanks for the info.

Ib

jonbig
08-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Do they need to be c compiler in windows or do they need to be compiled on a linux box?

It must be compiled on Linux.

ibsleepn
08-15-2004, 05:54 PM
It must be compiled on Linux.

Okay. Done. Now here is the error it gives me.

./mfs_info
Found 6 MFS partitions
WARNING: total sectors doesn't match (total=233244672 sb=467685376)
Failed to map sector 234440769

Is it telling me my drive is really toast or what.

recompiled with the -DBAD_SUPER_HACK in the Makefile and had to edit line 105 in the mfs.c file. errored on "case default". I set it to
"case 0x34313537" which is what my superblock was reported to be.

Still a few days left before i need to rma this drive back.

thanks for any help..

NEVER MIND I was being stupid... forgot to tell it there where two drives in the device variable. Tis exporting as i type..

Great prog..

jonbig
08-15-2004, 09:31 PM
NEVER MIND I was being stupid... forgot to tell it there where two drives in the device variable. Tis exporting as i type..

Great prog..

Cool. Thanks. Most of the praise goes to those (like Tridge) who developed the programs and libraries that I reused.

DaveMan
11-15-2004, 05:08 AM
Can mfs_tmfstream run on a TiVo?

Here's my (crazy?) idea...

I have an unhacked (until yesterday) S1 SA SVR-2000 with a dying 30G hd, and a 60G replacement hd. (I also have handy an old diskless Dell and a Mac for burning CDs.) I want to save as many shows as possible from the old disk and re-insert them on the new disk.

I would like to put the old disk into the tivo as a slave B drive, and then rig up some clever system to run mfs_tmfstream on it and pipe the output straight to mfs_ftp over localhost. That way I don't need another temporary disk, or a whole linux installation, or a network card.

Could this work? Could someone cross-compile mfs_tmfstream for PPC for me?

My second best bet is to get another disk, and use mfs_tmfstream to salvage .tmf's to a new disk, mount it in the tivo, and use localhost ftp to mfs_ftp.

My third idea (actually my first) was to do it all on the PC since I only have 2 disks i need to worry about, but nobody has mentioned any insertion tools that don't need to run on the TiVo.

-Dave

P.S. jonbig, thanks for making this tool -- it looks like it gives me 90% of what I need to save my shows.

brian_r_baker
12-10-2004, 03:45 PM
Okay. Done.
What distro of linux did you use to recompile with the BAD_SUPER_HACK modification? I'm assuming this can't be done with the Knoppix-Lite ISO?

brian_r_baker
12-10-2004, 05:06 PM
Possible fix for "Not a TiVo super block! (magic=0x00000000)" error

Anyone running into this problem, please try this binary to see if it fixes it.

Does anyone still have the utility referenced by BTUx9?

theUg
06-16-2006, 01:51 PM
4 MFS partions found
Failed to map sector XXXXXXXX
Did anybody figured out what could cause this error?

There is something weird while I try to pull FSIDs. When I use mfs_ls it shows me FSIDs in, say, NowShowingByFlatTitle, but wouldn’t show them in the NowShowingByTitle or NowShowingByClassic directories. /Recording/Complete/ also empty. But the recordings must be there, cause when I use full mfsbackup it says I have to have 35GB of space.

jonbig
06-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Sounds like your MFS partitions have been corrupted. :(

BTW, this thread is obsolete, mfs_tmfstream has been replaced by mfs_uberexport.

rkshack
07-28-2006, 10:01 AM
BTW, this thread is obsolete, mfs_tmfstream has been replaced by mfs_uberexport.

Is there a thread that focuses on mfs_uberexport. I can't find it. I have searched and read through multiple threads. I can find one post with mfs_uberexport.tar.gz or something like that by jamie. Is that where I should go?

skyboysea
07-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Search for mfs-utils. It should be in the files area.

ScanMan
07-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Check Jamie's thread here. (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39487&highlight=mfs_uberexport)

Jamie
07-28-2006, 11:07 AM
Usage info is a little scattered. This (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=201494&postcount=210) post describes how to use it with the tivo disk installed in your PC with linux booted. This (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=260536#post260536) post briefly describes how to use it for network extraction.

Riley has reported that win XP doesn't seem to clobber the bootpage on disks attached through usb. If that's true, then you could also use the cygwin build with a locally attached usb disk.

Series1 users doing PC side extraction may need to go get the beta snapshot at sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=138561). At some point I broke the byteswap code, and the beta version fixes that bug.

rkshack
08-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Riley has reported that win XP doesn't seem to clobber the bootpage on disks attached through usb. If that's true, then you could also use the cygwin build with a locally attached usb disk.

I have a 2 drive sa series 1. Will usb work with a 2 drive unit? If I am not going to boot with tivo again will xp clobbering the bootpage be an issue?

Jamie
08-01-2006, 10:57 AM
I have a 2 drive sa series 1. Will usb work with a 2 drive unit?I assume so, as long as you have two ata-usb adapters (http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA30031) and two usb ports to plug them into. Note that I haven't actually tried using the cygwin build in this way, so you'll be breaking new ground.
If I am not going to boot with tivo again will xp clobbering the bootpage be an issue?I don't think WinXP messes with anything other than the bootpage, and the bootpage isn't needed to pull files off on the PC side. Still, I wouldn't try it without a backup, if I was you.

mibloem
12-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Hi,

problem:
Bricked (non booting) Tivo Series 1 drive.

Proposed solution:
Cygwin on Windows box, running the Cygwin build of the MFS_Stream tools.

I have looked at the short summary of the process (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=201494&postcount=210). It referres to running the tools on a linux box.

I want to put the tivo disk in a usb enclose and copy the streams down before reimaging the drive. Who do I make the USB disk accessable in cygwin? Do I have to change any other steps in the linux procedure?

Thanks.

Jamie
12-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Hi,

problem:
Bricked (non booting) Tivo Series 1 drive.

Proposed solution:
Cygwin on Windows box, running the Cygwin build of the MFS_Stream tools.

I have looked at the short summary of the process (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=201494&postcount=210). It referres to running the tools on a linux box.

I want to put the tivo disk in a usb enclose and copy the streams down before reimaging the drive. Who do I make the USB disk accessable in cygwin? Do I have to change any other steps in the linux procedure?

Thanks.This (http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html) describes how devices names will appear in cygwin. Basically, all hard disks will show up as /dev/sdX for some X.

The released build had some problems with byte swapping for Series1 disks. There's a newer snapshot at sourceforge, though I may not have put up the cygwin build. You can compile from source on cygwin. PM me if you have trouble doing that.