PDA

View Full Version : telnet & ftp won't connect....help!

insomniac
04-10-2004, 07:07 PM
I recently installed CacheCard 2.2 with 512MB in my in Hughes GXCEBOT DirecTivo box (software version 3.10b) with 120GB drive using the nic_install CD and followed the PC install instructions. I use a Linksys DSL router with a direct connection to the CacheCard. Everything seemed to work correctly. I could ping, telnet and ftp. I also installed (ftped)TivoWeb and a few other hacks and software . I even used TyTool to extract some video. Everything worked like it was supposed to. After a restart I could no longer telnet of ftp. When I type telnet 192.168.1.100 the telnet window opens, says connecting to 192.168.1.100 and then closes. When I type ftp 192.168.1.100 the ftp window opens and says "ftp: connect :Unknown error number."

After hours of reading on the DealDatabase and tivocommunity forums it sounded similar to some other peoples problems with the TyTool tserver or TyStudio tyserver (which I also installed but never got to work). I tried various remedies including editing my rc.systinit file. Still no change.

After a couple days of frustration I figured I trashed something and decided to completely restore my Tivo hard drive from my original back up drive. I reinstalled the CacheCard drivers using the nic_install CD again. The CacheCard cached the Tivo database like it should. Unfortunately, the telnet and ftp still do not work and do the exact same thing as before I restored the hardrive. The telnet starts to connect and then the window closes and I get the same "connect :unknown error number" when I try to ftp.

At first I thought maybe my network part of the CacheCard went bad after its initial use, but I can still make a test call or my daily call over the network. I have it set to ,#401 and have no phone line connected for right now. And it connects just fine. Think link light on the CacheCard is also lit as well the light on my router for the port that I have the Tivo connected to.

Everything functions normally on the DTivo. So why can't I telnet or ftp anymore? Any ideas? I do not have a serial cable so anything I do I will have to put the Tivo harddrive back in the PC.

Some possibilities I have thought of:
1. Router problem, but I have two PC connected and they can read each other, but apparently not the DTivo anymore
2. Some PC or XP problem with with the telnet setup, or tlntsvr.exe, or a permission problem? especially since after restoring the DTivo hard drive the same problem still exists.
3. Still maybe a bad CacheCard (not likely as mentioned above).
4. Something else I'm missing completely.

I've read everything I could find and am at a loss as to what to try next. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

insomniac
04-10-2004, 11:38 PM
I assumed this had to be a router problem. I went to http://192.168.1.1 to check on the DHCP Active IP table for my Lynksis DSL router and my Tivo was no longer listed. I tried a few things to find the Tivo on the network with no luck. So I uninstalled all my network cards in the device manager on my PCs and rebooted. I reran the network wizard and rebuilt my bridges. I then went back the DHCP Active table and my Tivo is now listed again with a different IP address. I am now able to Telnet and ftp once again. I still have no idea why my network stopped recognizing the Tivo or how to keep it from happening again. But at least I know what may help fix it.

eastwind
04-11-2004, 03:16 AM
Sounds like a DHCP thing. If the TiVo isn't listed in you're router's address table you might find it with a port scanner (http://www.angryziber.com/ipscan/) . Assuming that the TiVo has actually been assigned an address.

ew

PortlandPaw
04-11-2004, 01:02 PM
I have a LinkSys DSL router and had similar problems before I went ahead and assigned an IP address to the TiVo. It's worked fine for months now. I still have DHCP for the other machines on my network, but I have my primary computer and the TiVo pre-identified with the IPs in the host files on both machines. Seems to work OK.