PDA

View Full Version : TY File from mfs_ftp crashes in GOPEditor

chaeberle
04-12-2004, 07:59 AM
If I pull ty files using tytools, generate a key and open in gopeditor, all is well. But if I pull a ty file using MFS_FTP, generate a key and open in gopeditor, gopeditor throws an exception and crashes.

Why? (Or what thread covers it?)

(Search on keywords gopeditor mfs_ftp ty crash generated two results, neither helpful. :( )

captain_video
04-12-2004, 09:33 AM
Try the TyTools thread. If it's a problem then why not just extract using TyTools?

chaeberle
04-12-2004, 11:08 AM
Try the TyTools thread. If it's a problem then why not just extract using TyTools?
Curiosity mainly.

Its not a priority, I was just hoping to compare file transfer speeds via Tytools vs. mfs_ftp, and was wondering if there was an obvious reason why the gopeditor wouldn't accept a ty file with keys which came from mfs...

malfunct
04-12-2004, 11:23 AM
The reason will be obvious as soon as someone gives JDiner the smallest chunk of a failing file that still causes the crash. Given the nature of the crashes and information I've read on the issue I'd use tyfilesplit to grab about 20 megs around the 512meg point in the file and see if that still crashes tytool. If it does then discuss with jdiner how best to transfer that file so he can see what exactly is causing the crash. Of course all of this will happen when he has time to deal with it, but he has expressed interest in getting clips of video that crash the tool, mainly to build his suite of test clips I'm sure.

Curiosity mainly.

Its not a priority, I was just hoping to compare file transfer speeds via Tytools vs. mfs_ftp, and was wondering if there was an obvious reason why the gopeditor wouldn't accept a ty file with keys which came from mfs...

captain_video
04-12-2004, 01:45 PM
Josh is very good at identifying problems with ty files that cause his programs to crash or hang up. Keep in mind that TyTools was developed as an all-in-one utility that works with ty files extracted using TyTools. That's not to say that it shouldn't work with ty files extracted using other methods (it's been said that a ty file is a ty file no matter how it gets to your PC). There used to be issues with ty files extracted with TyTools not working with TyStudio but that incompatibility has been rectified AFAIK and ty files extracted using any of the prescribed methods should all be the same. It could be that you just have a funky ty file (it happens).

Waruwaru
04-25-2004, 12:53 AM
The reason will be obvious as soon as someone gives JDiner the smallest chunk of a failing file that still causes the crash. Given the nature of the crashes and information I've read on the issue I'd use tyfilesplit to grab about 20 megs around the 512meg point in the file and see if that still crashes tytool. If it does then discuss with jdiner how best to transfer that file so he can see what exactly is causing the crash. Of course all of this will happen when he has time to deal with it, but he has expressed interest in getting clips of video that crash the tool, mainly to build his suite of test clips I'm sure.

Okay, I have isolated a piece of .ty from mfs_ftp that will crash GOPEditor. Unfortunately, TyFileSplit (9r13) seems to always copy over the first part no matter what "starting chunk" I specify, so the file is 832 megs. :o If anyone is interested in it, PM me with an location where I can upload it.