PDA

View Full Version : Is my work blocking access to my TiVo?

brj8826
04-12-2004, 03:28 PM
I just got my HDVR2 functional with Sleeper's and have been able to access everything via my home network. I was also able to access it via a friends connection yesterday.

I am using a non-standard port and have it forwarded to my TiVo on my Linksys.

I am not able to access the TiVo from my work nor is my wife from hers. I had my friend try again just now from home and she is able to access it via her cable modem.

I have an FTP server setup and I can access it just fine too.

Any ideas? This is going to be a real bummer if I can't access TivoWeb from work. No scheduling shows at the last minute.

PlainBill
04-12-2004, 06:37 PM
I just got my HDVR2 functional with Sleeper's and have been able to access everything via my home network. I was also able to access it via a friends connection yesterday.

I am using a non-standard port and have it forwarded to my TiVo on my Linksys.

I am not able to access the TiVo from my work nor is my wife from hers. I had my friend try again just now from home and she is able to access it via her cable modem.

I have an FTP server setup and I can access it just fine too.

Any ideas? This is going to be a real bummer if I can't access TivoWeb from work. No scheduling shows at the last minute.

Horrors, you're going to have to WORK at work!!! :) It sounds like the IT department at work has some sort of blocking in place. Bummer.

PlainBill

eastwind
04-12-2004, 07:09 PM
You might be able to access it from work if you use the standard ports (assuming that you can surf from work at all). If you do this make sure you password protect your TiVoWeb or set up a computer program between the router and TiVo that can authorize access.

ew

Lowcarb
04-12-2004, 09:02 PM
You might be able to access it from work if you use the standard ports (assuming that you can surf from work at all). If you do this make sure you password protect your TiVoWeb or set up a computer program between the router and TiVo that can authorize access.

ew

Or he could program the firewall to only let in access from his IP at work

brj8826
04-12-2004, 09:09 PM
Work at work? :eek:

Yeah guys, it looks like mine along with everyone I know either blocks the port.

AVD
04-12-2004, 10:37 PM
It could be your ISP are you sure the port is "non standard"

eastwind
04-13-2004, 07:49 AM
Or he could program the firewall to only let in access from his IP at work
Yeah, but what if he wanted to schedule something from his friends house or while he's sitting at the ball game just before the first pitch and he realizes that he forgot to record the game in case he got on the air and wants to save it for bragging rights.
ew

Lowcarb
04-13-2004, 12:21 PM
Yeah, but what if he wanted to schedule something from his friends house or while he's sitting at the ball game just before the first pitch and he realizes that he forgot to record the game in case he got on the air and wants to save it for bragging rights.
ew

At the Friends house:
For that I use Remote Access (or you could use another program like PCAnywhere or Remote Administrator, ...) To remotely control the desktop of one of the PC's on my home LAN. From there I can either reprogram the firewall access filter to the IP of where I am OR I can just access tivowebplus vai the pc that I am remotely controlling.

Sitting in the stands at the ballgame:
I don't know how to access tivowebplus via a cell phone. :p
I don't take my laptop to the ballgame
My 802.11x doesn't work at the ballgame
If I have dialup access through a cell phone, I still wouldn't take the laptop to the ballgame.

malfunct
04-13-2004, 12:40 PM
At the Friends house:
For that I use Remote Access (or you could use another program like PCAnywhere or Remote Administrator, ...) To remotely control the desktop of one of the PC's on my home LAN. From there I can either reprogram the firewall access filter to the IP of where I am OR I can just access tivowebplus vai the pc that I am remotely controlling.

If I have dialup access through a cell phone, I still wouldn't take the laptop to the ballgame.

Ok, so who is up for implementing the WML module for tivoweb? lol :)

eastwind
04-13-2004, 03:30 PM
At the Friends house:

I use RealVNC (http://www.realvnc.com/) myself, and the ballgame story is one I read about (used a Palm Pilot) on someone's website. If I find it I'll link it. (http://www.keegan.org/jeff/tivo/tivokillerappstory.html) :)
ew