PDA

View Full Version : Beta : PC "Server" for MFS

AhoyMatey
04-13-2004, 12:05 AM
This change to sanderton's Tivo to Tivo transfer patch allows a PC to be used as an MFS "Server"

I didn't want to pollute his thread with this, so I started another one. In addition, my hack kills the Tivo to Tivo functionality. As Stuart has mentioned in his thread, the latest (next) version of mfs_ftp will probably run on a PC too. I just had a itch to try and provide this functionality for a PC now! Originally this was going to be the first and only version :) but I may extend it's functionality in the future. No way I could have come close to anything like this without Stuart and Riley's exceptional work.

The mfs_server.exe program is basically just an ftp client, with some additonal stuff thrown in to listen to commands from the tivo remote. It pushes files only. That means you have to get your tmf files in the regular way, with your usual ftp client.

It comes with a utility to extract xml files from the tmf files, so that you don't have to ftp the xml file as well. And that also takes care of previous extractions. You can run the utility in a scheduled job if you want. An xml file
is created for a tmf file only if the xml file does not exist.

You can read the readme_pc.txt in the zip for more info. And make sure to read Stuart's thread here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32184) to see how to use it. The readme.txt file in the zip is Stuart's original readme that has been (very) slightly modified.

I built mfs_server on WinXP, and am pretty sure it will work on W2k. It should work on other versions, but I haven't checked that.

When you play a remote recording, the "dummy recording" in the NP list is deleted. The real recording will show up in the list shortly...

The skipsuggestions parameter has no effect (removed this after I couldn't list a tmf that was a suggestion).

The bookmark juggle fix that sanderton created has been added to this version.

It won't be that difficult to renable the TiVo to TiVo functionality in the future. (Multiple TiVo's are relatively easy to implement too, but that will lead to long NowPlaying lists...)

CREDITS:
As I mentioned before, Stuart Anderton and Riley Cassell did all the work. My stuff was minimal (Well, at least compared to their's).

AhoyMatey

New version 4/28/04:V1.2
Added the ability to use either passive mode or port mode for the ftp client. No changes otherwise to the software. settings.txt has a new addition: "passive" or "port". If version 1.1 is working for you, no need to upgrade.

tivomaster
04-13-2004, 09:06 AM
This looks GREAT...I only have one TiVo (HDVR2) and a couple of hundred gigs of stuff archived off onto my Home system. Manually inserting them is a pain....

Question?
Does/Will this work with a S2 Directivo (HDVR2)? I looked at the original thread and get mixed feelings as to S2 compatibility.

PS: Thanks

AhoyMatey
04-13-2004, 10:28 AM
Question?
Does/Will this work with a S2 Directivo (HDVR2)? I looked at the original thread and get mixed feelings as to S2 compatibility.

My Tivo is an HDVR2, so you're good to go.

sanderton
04-13-2004, 05:23 PM
The bookmark juggle is that used by standard mfs_ftp.

Go on, write the code to do it "properly". :) That was one of the the things putting me off the PC route.

(If you're not familiar with it, when you watch a show copying with regular mfs_ftp, bjuggle bumps you out of the show for a moment at each Part boundary, every 512Mb.

One of tha things my patch does is remove that; you can watch a copying show uninterrrupted.

FF/RW/30 second skip all work properly too, which can be erratic with regular mfs_ftp transfers until they are complete.)

AhoyMatey
04-13-2004, 05:36 PM
Go on, write the code to do it "properly". :) That was one of the the things putting me off the PC route.

I do want to do that :D. I have to figure out what exactly what you've done, though. It may not be easy for me to extract the info you did directly from the tmf. I also cheated by using the CFtpConnection class of VC++ MFC. It handles all the ftp stuff automatically. I'll have to probably hack that too...

(If you're not familiar with it, when you watch a show copying with regular mfs_ftp, bjuggle bumps you out of the show for a moment at each Part boundary, every 512Mb.

Didn't know about this.

FF/RW/30 second skip all work properly too, which can be erratic with regular mfs_ftp transfers until they are complete.)
That I noticed!

AhoyMatey
04-15-2004, 01:12 PM
I fixed the export_xml program so that it actually works properly - had the harddrive letter hardcoded before....

It's actually pretty easy to parse the tmf. The xml info can also now be anywhere in the archive, not just as the first file (for export_xml). I've also managed to extract the partsizes and send them properly to the tivo, but have some other issues to sort out.

So almost there on fixing the bjuggle stuff (after all, who can resist a challenge). I'll probably re-enable the tivo to tivo functionality too, as everything should be able to work together.

Hi8
04-16-2004, 06:29 AM
I just want to say THANK YOU!

I have been hoping such a hack would surface. I'm just VERY surprised there hasn't been more activity in this thread. As far as I'm concerned this is the solution for my household setup.

I have multiple TiVos and have setup 2 so far to access the PC MFS_SERVER -- it has been working GREAT!

AhoyMatey
04-16-2004, 06:40 AM
I just want to say THANK YOU!

I have been hoping such a hack would surface. I'm just VERY surprised there hasn't been more activity in this thread. As far as I'm concerned this is the solution for my household setup.

I have multiple TiVos and have setup 2 so far to access the PC MFS_SERVER -- it has been working GREAT!
Excellent! I'm glad to hear that. I designed it to work with multiple TiVos, but couldn't really test that.

Getting closer on incorporating sanderton's bjuggle fix....

Hi8
04-16-2004, 09:44 AM
Excellent! I'm glad to hear that. I designed it to work with multiple TiVos, but couldn't really test that.

Getting closer on incorporating sanderton's bjuggle fix....

sounds great...

The ONLY thing I have added that I assume could be intergrated is scheduling a task to run export_xml.exe every hour just to keep the .xml created. It would be great if it could sense/discovery newly transferred .tmf files and auto create them.

Because I put the MFS_SERVER on my main file server I really don't sit in front of that machine very often. Prior to the scheduled task, I VNC'd in and ran it after my transfers. I have several computers around the house, and I can MFS_FTP files from any one of them to my main file server's drives.

I know this request is bordering on your announcement that this is only a temporary app, until MFS_FTP's next release. So take it for what it's worth, I'm not really asking for it, as my solution works fine. I thought of writing a small perl script to keep an eye on that folder and keep the .xml files uptodate/created.

Thanks again.

AhoyMatey
04-16-2004, 10:38 AM
The ONLY thing I have added that I assume could be intergrated is scheduling a task to run export_xml.exe every hour just to keep the .xml created. It would be great if it could sense/discovery newly transferred .tmf files and auto create them.
Thanks again.

It already only makes an xml file for a tmf if the xml doesn't exist. You should be able to schedule a run every hour using windows scheduler....

Does that work?

Hi8
04-16-2004, 06:50 PM
It already only makes an xml file for a tmf if the xml doesn't exist. You should be able to schedule a run every hour using windows scheduler....

Does that work?

YES.. works perfectly.

AhoyMatey
04-17-2004, 02:59 AM
So I finally incorporated the bjuggle fix.

I also added some decent icons to mfs_server.exe and cleaned up the messaging a bit. I got rid of any Windows error dialogs that were called. All messages go into the main window. The only MessageBox that still remains is one that comes up if the settings.txt file is not found.

There were some memory leaks on exit, and these have now been fixed.

You can't hit [ESC] or [ENTER] to exit the program anymore. You have to close it like a regular window. (But why would you want to terminate it anyway?)

Actually, if you do want to abort a recording, you can exit. That's once the tmf is actually being streamed and can be seen in the correct menu postion in NowPlaying. If you manage to exit while the preliminary partions are being loaded, you'll get a NowRecording icon in NowPlaying that can only be removed by rebooting the tivo. Went through this plenty times while debugging :rolleyes:.

Hi8
04-17-2004, 07:36 AM
If you manage to exit while the preliminary partions are being loaded, you'll get a NowRecording icon in NowPlaying that can only be removed by rebooting the tivo. Went through this plenty times while debugging :rolleyes:.

I stopped mfs_ftp.tcl on (both)TiVo, replaced the p1.tcl file (overwrote via FTP) after editting my IP settings... restarted mfs_ftp.tcl

"QUIT" MFS_SERVER on my PC copied both mfs_server.exe & export_wml.exe over my old versions. Restarted MFS_SERVER on the PC.. and tried a few connections... three attempts result in the same thing. I'm connecting to my Sony SVR-2000 S1 (SA) TiVos... here is a dump of the process log:

MFS_Sever by AhoyMatey
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34085

Sending show list to 192.168.1.51
Streaming d:\_TiVo\{The Shield}{2004-04-06}{Mum}{09.00 PM Tue Apr 06, 2004}{FX}.tmf to 192.168.1.51
ERROR! The connection with the server was terminated abnormally

Finished streaming {The Shield}{2004-04-06}{Mum}{09.00 PM Tue Apr 06, 2004}{FX} to 192.168.1.51

I get the "stuck" recording ICON and will only disappear after a reboot. The Refresh and delete work fine, it's just when I try to transfer a recording.

AhoyMatey
04-17-2004, 10:25 AM
Sorry Hi8,

It was at 3 in the morning while I finished this (baby, wife, work...) and I overwrote the zipfile. Kicking myself isn't helping. Trying to devolve to the old version isn't doing much good. And I don't have time to look at this this weekend. (Note to self: Install a version control system)

Did you try again once the machines had been reset? You can also set $info(dbl) to 99 in mfs_ftp.tcl. You could then send the log from /var/log/mfs_ftp.log.

I've attached two files. The first is my attempt to devolve, but it works intermittently for me.

The second is my version of p1.tcl that I used when I actually got the new thing working. It prints out a whole lot of debug garbage. And I mean garbage! Try using this instead of the p1.tcl in the original zip. Send your /var/log/mfs_ftp.log

Maybe someone else will post the original.

Edit:Two someone's did. Thanks Hi8 and Stuart. I've replaced the v1 zipfile, because that definitely works.

Hi8
04-17-2004, 10:52 AM

not a problem ... I was just reporting what happened. I have the original, If you need a copy back - let me know PM and I'll get it to you.

I'm back to the previous rev. all is well.

Hi8
04-18-2004, 06:14 PM
Sorry Hi8,

It was at 3 in the morning while I finished this (baby, wife, work...) and I overwrote the zipfile. Kicking myself isn't helping. Trying to devolve to the old version isn't doing much good. And I don't have time to look at this this weekend. (Note to self: Install a version control system)

Did you try again once the machines had been reset? You can also set $info(dbl) to 99 in mfs_ftp.tcl. You could then send the log from /var/log/mfs_ftp.log.

I've attached two files. The first is my attempt to devolve, but it works intermittently for me.

The second is my version of p1.tcl that I used when I actually got the new thing working. It prints out a whole lot of debug garbage. And I mean garbage! Try using this instead of the p1.tcl in the original zip. Send your /var/log/mfs_ftp.log

Edit:Two someone's did. Thanks Hi8 and Stuart. I've replaced the v1 zipfile, because that definitely works.

Forget what I said... I reinstalled and everything is working GREAT!

transfered 3 recordings already, and watch 1 while streaming, worked like a champ!

Thanks for your hard work!

I think the root of my problem was that after I FTP'd p1.tcl over the previous version, I forgot to chmod +x ;

tweaky
04-22-2004, 10:46 AM
For some reason, when I use JOE to edit the p1.tcl file, there are all capital M's at the end of the file. I know, you might think that I opened this in a non-unix friendly program, but that is just it, I didn't..
I downloaded the file and opened w/ WinRar, extracted it to my desktop and then ftp'd it over to the tivo using both AceFTP (binary mode) and IE. I have followed the same procedure in the past for other files, and never had a problem. I even tried 3 other computers and with PowerArchiver.
HELP!?!?

sanderton
04-22-2004, 01:06 PM
Don't worry about it; the line endings only bother bash, not TCL.

tweaky
04-22-2004, 01:38 PM
Great.. It seemed liked it was still working, but it was really bothering me.. :D
Let me ask this question:

What exactly needs to be in the MFS_PC Server directory? the .tmf and .xml file?

AhoyMatey
04-22-2004, 09:38 PM
Great.. It seemed liked it was still working, but it was really bothering me.. :D
Let me ask this question:

What exactly needs to be in the MFS_PC Server directory? the .tmf and .xml file?

Yes. If you mean by "MFS_PC Server directory" the directory which is specified in settings.txt. This does not have to be the same directory as mfs_server.exe.

BTW, If you have busybox installed on your tivo, you can run dos2unix <filename> to get rid of the linefeeds. I normally do that to any file I've edited with vim on the PC. Must have edited on the PC before adding it to the zip....

AhoyMatey
04-22-2004, 09:40 PM
will this work on a S2 SA with 4.01 sw?
Doubt it. From the first post in Stuart's thread: "It will not work on 4.x as it uses SendKey."

tweaky
04-25-2004, 03:30 PM
I have been trying for several days now, and I can't seem to get it to work with my series 1 dtivo running version 3.1.0-01-1-001 software. Regular MFS_Ftp transfers work just fine, and it loads the menu correctly with the remote shows. But, when I try to play a show, the PC server is stating that a transfer is taking place and it does for a few minutes, but I never get the show completely transfered. Any Ideas?

Thanks

AhoyMatey
04-25-2004, 08:41 PM
I have been trying for several days now, and I can't seem to get it to work with my series 1 dtivo running version 3.1.0-01-1-001 software. Regular MFS_Ftp transfers work just fine, and it loads the menu correctly with the remote shows. But, when I try to play a show, the PC server is stating that a transfer is taking place and it does for a few minutes, but I never get the show completely transfered. Any Ideas?

Thanks
So you actually get some of the show to watch? A log file with info(dbl) set to 99 would be helpful... (That's in mfs_ftp.tcl)

Did you ever reboot your TiVo?

You could try and download the first version which doesn't fix the bjuggle. It's in the second last post on the first page in this thread.

tweaky
04-25-2004, 09:43 PM
So you actually get some of the show to watch? A log file with info(dbl) set to 99 would be helpful... (That's in mfs_ftp.tcl)

Did you ever reboot your TiVo?

You could try and download the first version which doesn't fix the bjuggle. It's in the second last post on the first page in this thread.
My tivo reboots every night to avoid the event switcher issue.
Just to run down my sequence of trying to make this work (it could be an id10T error)
1. Pick a show in the Now Playing list from the "Remote Tivo"
2. Hit play, and immediately asks if I want to delete the show. I answer "NO"
3. The show I picked to play now shows as recording in the Now Playing list.
4. (Using AceFTP, it takes about 12 minutes for this show to transfer using straight MFS_FTP.) I wait 5 minutes or so, and hit Play. (this is where weird things happen)
4a. Sometimes it jumps 2/3 of the way thru the show and doesn't play the correct show at all.
4b. It plays the first 2-3 minutes and then plays some other show.

It almost acts as if the xfer speed is too slow <edit> I think this is it!!!

Thanks for your help. (Log File Attatched, Not complete as it was still transfering 9 hours later and LogsNull wiped it out :) )
ps. The file was still transfering 20 minutes after I started..

AhoyMatey
04-26-2004, 07:46 PM
4. (Using AceFTP, it takes about 12 minutes for this show to transfer using straight MFS_FTP.) I wait 5 minutes or so, and hit Play. (this is where weird things happen)
4a. Sometimes it jumps 2/3 of the way thru the show and doesn't play the correct show at all.
4b. It plays the first 2-3 minutes and then plays some other show.

It almost acts as if the xfer speed is too slow <edit> I think this is it!!!

I've seen the 4a and 4b stuff for shows that I've interrupted while transferring to TiVo. It's because all the real stuff isn't downloaded yet - the headers created by mfs_ftp are just dummy place-holders after all. So it's consistent with the slow transfer speed that you've been seeing.

I wish I could help more - Stuart or Riley might be able to shed some light on why this is happening. Nine hours to transfer while not completing is ridiculous. I can't think of any reason why anything I've done with the pc software should affect anything. After all, it's just using the built-in ftp client that microsoft supplies (that just might explain it :))

You could try the older version of the software and live with the bjuggle skip, but frankly I still don't see how that should change anything...

How's your network speed otherwise? How long does it take for a ping to return?

sanderton
04-27-2004, 06:36 AM
Your transfer spped must be real time (ie an hour to transfer an hour's show) or better for any of the view as you transfer stuff to work.

The code adds headers for the new show as if it had completely transferred but does not blank the hard disk; if you tell it to skip to 25 mins in and only 20 mins has transferred you'll see whatever happens to be on the hard disk at the address in the header for 25 mins.

tweaky
04-27-2004, 05:14 PM
That is just it. The speed is way to slow. Regular MFS_FTP transfer is fine on the speed. I know it was slow when I was transfering in passive mode originally, but I changed that and I have high speed transfers.

Is the PC Server sending it in passive mode?

AhoyMatey
04-27-2004, 09:20 PM
Is the PC Server sending it in passive mode?
Yes it is.

tweaky
04-27-2004, 11:10 PM
ahhh.. Is there anyway to easily change it? I believe this is the problem. What programming language did you use to write the app?

AhoyMatey
04-28-2004, 07:42 AM
ahhh.. Is there anyway to easily change it? I believe this is the problem. What programming language did you use to write the app?
I used Visual C++ V6.0. It is easy to change - I'll add an extra line to settings.txt. I'll do it tonight, shouldn't take long.

I'm not sure why passive mode should take any longer that port mode, but I just used smartftp to verify that port mode works. No speed difference for me. Passive mode just uses an already open port...

I'll make the change, but the only thing I'm not sure about is what will happen if the port numbers get into the 3105 or 3205 range. afaik, the port numbers for are incremented for every new file transfer, but I could be wrong about this.

tweaky
04-28-2004, 09:17 PM
I used Visual C++ V6.0. It is easy to change - I'll add an extra line to settings.txt. I'll do it tonight, shouldn't take long.

I'm not sure why passive mode should take any longer that port mode, but I just used smartftp to verify that port mode works. No speed difference for me. Passive mode just uses an already open port...

I'll make the change, but the only thing I'm not sure about is what will happen if the port numbers get into the 3105 or 3205 range. afaik, the port numbers for are incremented for every new file transfer, but I could be wrong about this.
Thanks for the willingness to make the change. I don't know VC++ just VB for me. I believe when it is not in Passive mode (not sure what the right name is) it always uses the same port, but I could be wrong..

AhoyMatey
04-28-2004, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the willingness to make the change.
No problem. Hope it works for you...

rc3105
04-29-2004, 05:05 AM
when a ftp client initiates a passive (PASV) transfer it connects to a server socket at control_portnum - 1. 3104 in this case

when a ftp client initiates an active (PORT) transfer the server initiates the data connection from whatever tcp port number is next in the pool to a server socket provided by the client & specified in the PORT command

AhoyMatey
04-29-2004, 05:14 PM
when a ftp client initiates an active (PORT) transfer the server initiates the data connection from whatever tcp port number is next in the pool to a server socket provided by the client & specified in the PORT command
Thanks for the clarification. So hopefully when the m$ ftp client sees that ports 3105, 3104 and 3205 are open, it would not have those in the pool that is sent to the server...

tweaky
04-30-2004, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the update. I was out of town, but I just got back in and the first thing I tried was this.
<edit>
Wasn't working at all, reinstalled everything, and now I am testing.. I'll let you know what I find out..
<edit>
The Active mode works great.. Although my transfer speeds are still slow (A half hour show took just over 1 hour to transfer). Thanks for making it work for me...

AhoyMatey
04-30-2004, 09:21 PM
At least it works a bit faster. Don't know what else I could do to speed it up for you - mfs_server is basically just using the WinInet classes.

ponto
05-01-2004, 07:09 AM
I have an screen come up on the TV that says: There was an error, An internal error occurred, Error loading the Now Playing List

I was trying the latest vesion using port mode (win2k) as I was getting very slow transfers:-

MFS_Sever by AhoyMatey
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34085

Using Port ftp mode
Sending show list to 192.168.1.200
Sending show list to 192.168.1.200
Streaming f:\mfs_files\{News at Noon}{2003-03-24}{}{12.00 PM Wed Apr 14, 2004}{C4}.tmf to 192.168.1.200
ERROR! The connection with the server was terminated abnormally

Finished streaming {News at Noon}{2003-03-24}{}{12.00 PM Wed Apr 14, 2004}{C4} to 192.168.1.200

I now have an entry in Now playing that has a red dot but doesn't play and I can't delete it, using tivoweb now showing it appears without any of the usual options:-

{News at Noon}{2003-03-24}{}{12.00 PM Wed Apr 14, 2004}{C4}.tmf
Description
Year
More Info Search IMDb for '{News at Noon}{2003-03-24}{}{12.00 PM Wed Apr 14, 2004}{C4}.tmf' --- Search provided by The Internet Movie Database.
Duration 0:01
Original Air Date 1st May 2004
Channel mfs_ftp
Showing Date Sat 1st May 11:22
Expiration Date
Deletion Date
Cancel Date
Cancel Reason
Error String mfs_ftp insert
Quality Best
Selection Type By Channel
State In Progress
Size 42 MB (estimated)

mfs_ftp log:-

11:21:08:AM - updating cached recording info

11:22:02:AM - 220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9Q - {sock31} from "192.168.1.1:1410"
11:22:02:AM - 331 User name okay, need password.
11:22:03:AM - 230 Running in TiVo Mode.
11:22:03:AM - 200 Type set to I
11:22:03:AM - 200 PORT command successful.
11:22:03:AM - rec_info_from_db done
11:22:03:AM - 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for "{{News at Noon}{2003-03-24}{}{12.00 PM Wed Apr 14, 2004}{C4}.tmf}"
bgerror invoked with error

" syntax error in expression "
?$"" "

re-initializing mfs_ftp

close the current ftp connection and simply open another

"core dump" :p

info(version): 1.2.9Q
info(tswv): 2.5.5-01-1-023
info(dbl): 0
info(ithrottle): 2
info(insert_priority): 10
info(multithreaded): 0
info(save_until): delete
info(name_detail): 5
info(bjuggle): 1
info(active): 0
info(ac_interval): 1800
info(gateway_ip): 127.0.0.1
info(gateway_port): 3105

catch close lastsock val ""
11:22:03:AM - bgerro_bail quiting mfs_ftp.tcl and forking a new one
11:22:04:AM - 200 shutting down the server NOW from "phoenix_mfs_ftp"
10:22:05:AM - sourcing settings
10:22:06:AM - Running SNP patch 1.0b9 (Q) (modified to work only with a pc)
11:22:06:AM - sourcing p1
11:22:06:AM - updating cached recording info

any ideas?

AhoyMatey
05-01-2004, 11:13 AM
If you restart your tivo, the recording will be removed. I had this a lot while debugging...

Try again once the tivo has restarted.

sanderton
05-01-2004, 04:19 PM
mfs_ftp is good for deleteing those 2recording" files.

sanderton
05-01-2004, 04:21 PM
In that log:

I don't recommend that on a UK TiVo - in my experience the TiVo crashed frequently.

ponto
05-05-2004, 12:13 AM
In that log:

I don't recommend that on a UK TiVo - in my experience the TiVo crashed frequently.

your absolutely right - I agree!

mfs_ftp is good for deleteing those 2recording" files..

unfortunately it didn't work for me :confused:

If you restart your tivo, the recording will be removed. I had this a lot while debugging...

Try again once the tivo has restarted.

that did it

Thanks for the help guys! (need a bigger drive now) This stuff is really great

SteveT
05-06-2004, 09:14 AM
This sounds like exactly the hack I've been waiting for!

Since I'm going to be waiting a while longer (for R), I've been trying to verify that the PC side is working for me. Shouldn't I be able to use an FTP client from another PC to verify that I can reach the mfs_server on my file server PC? I'm assuming I should get some sort of response in the mfs_server and on my client?

All I get is a timeout, what might be wrong? Any suggestions?

Both PCs are XP home. I can ping each PC from the other and copy files using windows explorer. I can run the extract_xml.exe and the .xml files are generated as expected. I can use MFS_FTP "manually" from the file server PC and upload and download .TMFs and .TY+s with no problem.

Any help appreciated.

AhoyMatey
05-06-2004, 11:29 AM
This sounds like exactly the hack I've been waiting for!

Since I'm going to be waiting a while longer (for R), I've been trying to verify that the PC side is working for me. Shouldn't I be able to use an FTP client from another PC to verify that I can reach the mfs_server on my file server PC? I'm assuming I should get some sort of response in the mfs_server and on my client?

All I get is a timeout, what might be wrong? Any suggestions?

Both PCs are XP home. I can ping each PC from the other and copy files using windows explorer. I can run the extract_xml.exe and the .xml files are generated as expected. I can use MFS_FTP "manually" from the file server PC and upload and download .TMFs and .TY+s with no problem.

Any help appreciated.
You can't use mfs_ftp to ftp to a pc running mfs_server.exe. mfs_server is an ftp client not a real server (mfs_ftp as a server on a pc is Riley's job ;)). mfs_server has is an open port that receives commands from a TiVo. These commands tell mfs_server to send Now Playing info or to ftp "put" a show to a TiVo.

SteveT
05-06-2004, 01:16 PM
You can't use mfs_ftp to ftp to a pc running mfs_server.exe. mfs_server is an ftp client not a real server (mfs_ftp as a server on a pc is Riley's job ;)). mfs_server has is an open port that receives commands from a TiVo. These commands tell mfs_server to send Now Playing info or to ftp "put" a show to a TiVo.OK, well that explains why it wasn't "working" for me. :) Thanks for the quick, informative reply. I look forward to trying this for real soon.

ChrisR
06-10-2004, 09:15 PM
Not sure if anyone is still supporting this. I will give it a try anyway.

I have installed everything as per directions in the readme. In my Now Playing menu I only get the "Delete...." and not the "Refresh...". I have tried to delete everything and start over including a tivo reboot and the "Refresh...." still will not come up.

Currently I am using the media server and it works great but having to go to the message screen can sometimes be to complicated for wife to stream movies off of the ftp server. It would be nice to have it in the Now Playing list.

Anyone have any ideas?

AhoyMatey
06-11-2004, 07:19 PM
Not sure if anyone is still supporting this. I will give it a try anyway.

I have installed everything as per directions in the readme. In my Now Playing menu I only get the "Delete...." and not the "Refresh...". I have tried to delete everything and start over including a tivo reboot and the "Refresh...." still will not come up.

Currently I am using the media server and it works great but having to go to the message screen can sometimes be to complicated for wife to stream movies off of the ftp server. It would be nice to have it in the Now Playing list.

Anyone have any ideas?
I've been sorta busy - been meaning to add support for mfs_ftp v 1.2.9P but at the moment only the Q version of Stuart's patch is supported. I don't know if you are running Q or P....

When you say "delete everything" I assume that includes the <mfs_ftp dir>/snp/snp.ini file?

BTW, for anyone who is interested, you can limit the amount of PC shows in the Now Showing list on the tivo by not having the corresponding .xml file for a .tmf file.

ChrisR
06-11-2004, 07:36 PM
I am running P currently but have tried Q. I get the same problem. Missing "Refresh..." but "Delete..." is there. I know the mfs_ftp server is running because I typed in "ps x" and it shows it running.

AhoyMatey
06-11-2004, 09:18 PM
Have you deleted the snp/snp.ini file before restarting mfs_ftp?

ChrisR
06-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Yes I have done that. I have even started out fresh as far as installing the complete mfs_ftp server. No go.

Sorry for the delay. Sometimes I get a notification on replies and sometimes I don't.

AhoyMatey
06-12-2004, 03:36 PM
Try and install the original version (tivo-to-tivo) and see what happens. Shouldn't make a difference though. If that doesn't work, you could ask the question in Stuart's thread.

I can't see if you get the one entry, why you shouldn't get the other. The code uses the same function.

ChrisR
06-12-2004, 05:31 PM
With Sandersons it worked fine. Both entries came up fine. I left the intries there in the Now Playing list. I deleted both mfs_ftp directories on both tivo's and reinstalled them. I put the p1.tcl files on tivo's and get the same problem. Now there is 2 "Delete..." and one "Refresh....".

AhoyMatey
06-13-2004, 08:04 AM
That doesn't make any sense to me. I didn't touch any of the code that is used in creating the menu items. The only hacks I did were pretty much to do with transferring of data.

You can delete the 3 menu items the way you would any normal show.

You could try this for yucks - After deleteing the menu items, delete snp/snp.ini. Run mfs_ftp with Stuart's version. When (if) that works, just replace his p1.tcl with my p1.tcl. Don't change/delete anything else. Restart mfs_ftp. The mfs_ftp version you use has to be Q...

blueman2
10-08-2004, 12:03 PM
This looks like a great program! Since this thread has been quiet for quite a while, I had a couple questions.

1. Does this work for MFS_FTP 1.2.9P?? Q does not seem to exist anymore (something about 'expired'?).

2. Does this work on 4.01b?

THanks!

darrin75
10-08-2004, 01:14 PM
try this one
also i am running xp with filezilla beta 0.89 works great..

blueman2
10-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Ah, there you are, darrin. Yes, I have installed mediaserverP and am close, but no cigar yet. ANy change you can take a look at this post

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=187718#post187718

and give my any advice you can?

darrin75
10-08-2004, 03:29 PM
Hit the thumbs up without going into the details of the message as such

list of emails

refresh movies 192.168.0.x
delete movies 192.168.0.x
reload server 192.168.0.x

from this list highlight refresh movies and hit thumbs up. let it process don't touch nothing else. But if when you hit thumbs up you should hear a bong sound then the select sound tivo makes when slecting something, It should do this automatically. If it just make the bong sound and won't process then make sure you have mfs_ftp.tcl running on your tivo...then look at your log, and get back to me..

blueman2
10-08-2004, 04:33 PM
My display is slightly different than what you listed. Mine says:

Reload Server Information File
Delete Movies (192.168.1.200)
Refresh Movies (192.168.1.200)

WHen I highlight any of them and press thumbs up, it just bongs (no select sound afterward). No change to my log file at all. Yes, MFS_FTP is running.

Also, I am running 4.01b, and I know their are some issues with sendkey which affect this version. But I have tried selecting the messages and hitting thumb up and going into the messages and hitting up. Both just bong.

darrin75
10-08-2004, 04:47 PM
what ftp server are you using.

blueman2
10-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Bullet Proof FTP v2.21

Oh, and here is my port3105 log after doing a delete of file then reboot:

08:35:52:PM - sourcing settings
08:35:52:PM - Running PC patch 1.0b8 (P)PC1.2
09:35:54:PM - Listeners set, done here, back to mfs_ftp
09:35:54:PM - syncing PC listing
09:35:54:PM - in parse servers file current file is /var/mfs_ftp/remoteservers
09:35:54:PM - in cleanup server mail
Deleted id 1171073
Deleted id 1171074
Deleted id 1171075
09:35:55:PM - set 192.168.1.200 Movies 21 .
09:35:55:PM - Done parsing
09:35:55:PM - got total servers = 1 now doing message loops
09:35:56:PM - sourcing p1
09:35:56:PM - sourcing p2
09:36:06:PM - updating cached recording info

pressing the thumbs up makes no additions to the file, so I do not think it even gets as far as trying to talk to my FTP server on pressing the button.

Oh, and we should probably be on the thread in the support section, as this area is for development only (and my issues are support, not development). How about we move back over to

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=187718#post187718

Thanks!!!

darrin75
10-08-2004, 04:53 PM
by looking at your file. it seems your when running the mfs_ftp.tcl and p1 patch your log tells me that your tivo is not listening..

darrin75
05-13-2005, 03:11 AM
Any new developments on the 1.29(p) version. Or are we just focusing on the mrv pc server now. Thanks, I would love to try this, but will not work at all with the p version..

AhoyMatey
05-13-2005, 03:10 PM
I originally did this just for the challenge. Never really even used it much - I'm not one to archive shows.

It's probably easy enough to diff the changes I made and add them to Stuart's p1.tcl for mfs_ftp version p. Once the MRV PC Server stuff is available though, who'd want to use it anyway?