PDA

View Full Version : Linksys USB200M - Dropped & Erroneous Packets

drewski
04-13-2004, 08:53 PM
Hi all,
I recently have learned a bit about tivo hacking. Over the weekend, I used sleepers ISO to open it up a bit. Here is my setup:

--> SA S2
--> Sleepers ISO installed, using the FTP on port 3105 to xfer movies
--> TivoWeb Plus installed
--> ax8817x ethernet drivers in rc.sysinit.author being loaded (4 .o files)
--> Linksys USB200M NIC
--> Current transfer rate from tivo to pc(s): steady 6.37-6.39Mbit/s

The problem that I am having is that when I do an ifconfig, I get the following results:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet
inet addr:192.168.10.28 Bcast:192.168.10.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:20369 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:60926353 dropped:40449 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0
------------------------------------
Anyone have any ideas why I have so many errors / dropped packets? I am using a 3com 3C905C-TX NIC (non integrated), with it forced to full duplex and 100mbit. I get the same result from both of my pc's when trying to download. The errors rapidly increase, and the result is exactly the same for both machines. Between the two computers, I have a Nokia IP30 4-port firewall/router that is 10/100Mbit, set at 100. On normal transmission between my two computers, I rarely see a dropped packet. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Drewski

SR712
04-13-2004, 09:57 PM
I believe this was an incorrect report from ifconfig when using the USB2 drivers. There was a replacement ifconfig around somewhere here that reports correctly. I could be wrong though if you see errors reported on both sides of the connection?

drewski
04-13-2004, 11:04 PM
I believe this was an incorrect report from ifconfig when using the USB2 drivers. There was a replacement ifconfig around somewhere here that reports correctly. I could be wrong though if you see errors reported on both sides of the connection?

After checking the diagnostics on my NIC (with 3com software) it shows a few CRC errors and some Frame alignment errors. The difference is that, for every 1 crc/alignment error, there are several hundred if not thousands of packets being dropped and errors being flagged in ifconfig. So you may be right, I will search around for a thread about ifconfig. If there really exists a problem, I wont worry about it too much, from what I have read, the transfer rate that I am receiving is quite good compared to others.

Thanks for the input,
Drewski

ronnythunder
04-13-2004, 11:54 PM
it is indeed a ifconfig display problem. search for ifconfig and my username to find the updated ifconfig binary.

ronny

drewski
04-14-2004, 08:56 AM
it is indeed a ifconfig display problem. search for ifconfig and my username to find the updated ifconfig binary.

ronny
----------------------
Thanks for your ifconfig, it works like a champ!

Andrew