PDA

View Full Version : Streaming to Tivo?

tronic
04-14-2004, 07:42 PM
Is there anyway to stream to the tivo? I have tons of tv shows and home movies on my computer that I would love to be able to stream over my network onto the tivo. I can't see it being that hard for people who come up with these tivo programs. Tivo is running linux and all you would have to do (I would imagine) is install a media player of some sort on the tivo and have it open media files on any shared network drive. Anything like that or anyone planning on making it?

sanderton
04-15-2004, 04:15 AM
Carry on and build it then. :)

But remember the TiVo has a feeble main processor, not capable of streaming the way that a PC CPU is.

You'd have to figure out how to use the MPEG hardware.

lart2150
04-15-2004, 12:05 PM
you need the files to be mpeg2 video and audio also you need to send the decoder some commands to tell it what to do.

cat show.mpv > /dev/mpeg0v
cat show.mpa > /dev/mpeg0a

StarTraveller
04-20-2004, 08:49 PM
I'm sort of in the same boat but all my videos (the old ones) are on VCR tapes, plus I have some home movies on the mini-camcorder tapes. I'd like to know if there was a way I could connect the vcr and camcorder to the cable pass through port and record through that into the tivo. Does anyone have any ideas on doing that?

wkozun
04-22-2004, 11:21 PM
I would think that what is needed here is basically a version of vserver for the PC.

cwingert's OHM software allows streaming of shows from one TiVo to another, so the only difference here is that the streamer is a PC rather than a TiVo.

dishman
04-23-2004, 12:16 AM
I'm sort of in the same boat but all my videos (the old ones) are on VCR tapes, plus I have some home movies on the mini-camcorder tapes. I'd like to know if there was a way I could connect the vcr and camcorder to the cable pass through port and record through that into the tivo. Does anyone have any ideas on doing that?

I'm trying that now. I setup the RCA input as Sat, deleted all except one channel, plugged the the VCR into the TiVo and recorded from VCR to TiVo. I then used TiViWebPlus to re-title the shows and HMO/MRV to share them. (I'm using a SA Series 2)

cojonesdetoro
04-23-2004, 01:05 AM
I'm trying that now. I setup the RCA input as Sat, deleted all except one channel, plugged the the VCR into the TiVo and recorded from VCR to TiVo. I then used TiViWebPlus to re-title the shows and HMO/MRV to share them. (I'm using a SA Series 2)

I use the same method. It works except when you have damaged VCR tapes. the tivo mpeg encoder can't keep up with the noise and you lose a lot.

I recently got my hands on a panasonic dmr-e80h (expensive toy). It's a dvd recorder with an 80GB drive. It has some Features like the Tivo but is more a complementary product than a competative one (if you can justify the cost, my wife is still nagging me about it :-/.... ). It has rudimentary editing and writes to dvd-ram and dvd-r. The best part is that it can record even the most polluted VHS tapes and actually improves the recording somewhat. I have a bunch of 10 yr old VHS-C tapes that were recorded on a crappy RCA camcorder (what a POS!). The Tivo was not able to deal with these tapes at all but the Panny never even blinked. I also no longer bother with Tytools. It's a great project but the occasional corrupt .ty file was just too frustrating for me. Going out analog through Svideo to the Panny is fine for me. I'm not that picky about recordings and they look fine to me.

BTW: The Tivo will record Macrovsion protected tapes and CDs but not the Panny. I had to buy something called 'the clarifier'(see google). Nice product. i don't consider it piracy when I copy VHS tapes that I purchased legally and keep the copies for myself. I sometimes copy rented DVDs but they (almost)never leave the Tivo except through the delete function.

bato
04-23-2004, 09:34 AM
I recently got my hands on a panasonic dmr-e80h (expensive toy).
I search for it and is around 500, so it is expensive, but I looked at the DMR-E100H around 850. I guess those units are the fastest way to transfer VHS to DVD right?

Maybe if I buy one and charge a little to transfer some tapes... mmm