PDA

View Full Version : .ty wont play

Joeryan
04-20-2004, 01:20 AM
I can't seem to play my .ty files once I have transfered them to my computer, os is xp. I tried to play using tivo mplayer.

malfunct
04-20-2004, 02:27 AM
I can't seem to play my .ty files once I have transfered them to my computer, os is xp. I tried to play using tivo mplayer.

Do you have an mpeg 2 decoder installed on your machine? I was under the impression that was necessary.

JohnSorTivo
04-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Specifically, have you installed TyShow?

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27399

Unless you use something like TyTools to convert the .ty file to an .mpg file, it won't play unless you have the proper codec / decoder installed.

Joeryan
04-20-2004, 11:45 AM
Yes I have tried tyshow. When I click to play the .ty file WMP opens then as soon as it pops up an error report pops up. "Window Media Player has encountered a problem and need to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I dislike Microsoft!
What does anyone think? Have I not set somthing up on my sat-t60?

BubbleLamp
04-20-2004, 11:46 AM
Yes I have tried tyshow. When I click to play the .ty file WMP opens then as soon as it pops up an error report pops up. "Window Media Player has encountered a problem and need to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I dislike Microsoft!
Dumb question, are you running noscramble.o?

malfunct
04-20-2004, 01:20 PM

You might have a damaged stream, I've had a few damaged streams crash tyshow on my machine.

Joeryan
04-20-2004, 11:52 PM
Yes I have noscramble.o in var/hack and it is exucutable. I also have unscramble don't know if this is good, bad, or indifrent. Tranfered another file to my computer to see if it would play just incase the other was a bad thread. When I clicked on the show in TCL it just dowloads and does not ask me where I want to save it, but b/f it did ask for location to trasfer. Once it was transfered WMA opened up and started to play automatically but then told me location of file was not located... I feel as if I am going in circles here...

BubbleLamp
04-21-2004, 12:07 AM
Yes I have noscramble.o in var/hack and it is exucutable. I also have unscramble don't know if this is good, bad, or indifrent. Tranfered another file to my computer to see if it would play just incase the other was a bad thread. When I clicked on the show in TCL it just dowloads and does not ask me where I want to save it, but b/f it did ask for location to trasfer. Once it was transfered WMA opened up and started to play automatically but then told me location of file was not located... I feel as if I am going in circles here...
Maybe you should take a step back and describe exactly what software you're running on the Tivo and what app(s) you are transferring the files to the PC with. Just because the noscramble is on the Tivo doesn't mean it's running.

Joeryan
04-21-2004, 12:42 AM
I started by adding two new 120g Seagate drives following weaknees interactive install. Then I followed silicondusts info for installing the cachecard. I also did all of Steve Jenkins hacks. I have also done some simple hacks from the book TiVo hacks by Raffi Krikorian.

Sat-t60 3.10b
tivoweb
tserver_mfs7_mips
tivoweb-tcl
mfs_stream
Tytools9r13

Everything has gone smoothly until now ???
appreciate any and all help :)

psxboy
04-21-2004, 02:01 PM
...Tranfered another file to my computer to see if it would play just incase the other was a bad thread. When I clicked on the show in TCL it just dowloads and does not ask me where I want to save it, but b/f it did ask for location to trasfer. Once it was transfered WMA opened up and started to play automatically but then told me location of file was not located...
Actually, this sounds more like a Windows/IE issue than a WMP/mplayer/Tivo issue. First, something has registered the .ty file extension as a WMP filetype so when you click on a link to that type of file in IE it automagically downloads the file to a temp directory and attempts to launch it with WMP. Second, you have a corrupted .dll or hosed registry entry that prevents IE from correctly locating the file it just downloaded when it tries to launch it.

I have a similar problem... every file I attempt to "Open from its current location" instead of saving it to disk fails to open. This bug has creeped into more than one of my IE installs, but I haven't had the time to ferret out the actual cause. (I also have a similar problem with animated GIFs... they are no longer "animated" on most of my IE installs, and its not because of the settings in IE... but that's another issue.)

In any case, if you right-click on the link instead and select "Save target as..." from the context menu, you can specify the location you want to save the file to and it won't attempt to auto-launch it after it downloads. This has no effect on whether you will ultimately be able to play the file after you download it, but it should help you get around the current problem.

-psxboy