PDA

View Full Version : How/Where can I extract 'yellow star' TiVo promo vids?

VideoJedi
04-20-2004, 03:33 AM
Just wondering where the 'yellow star' recordings are hidden on my series 1 standalone TiVo. Can I get to them with Tystream? What would I have to do to get a listings of these elusive recordings that TiVo uses for the yellow stars? There's one video that appeared on the series 2 DirecTiVos this week for a Walt Disney World sweepstakes, but the standalone series 1 only has text info on the contest (and to order a DVD kit). I was hoping my standalone series 1 also got this video, but never linked to it on the GUI. I figure it is worth a shot if someone knows where to poke around to get at these 'tivo protected recording area' recordings. I wanna see what else they may have put in there, but not used. Doesn't it record that stuff from Discovery Channel? I am browsing through the MFS system via TiVoweb-tcl, but I don't know what I am looking at/for.

TheWickedPriest
04-20-2004, 03:17 PM
See my answer in the Showcase Extraction (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28480) thread. There are probably other ways to approach it, but this has worked for me.

On a DirecTivo, there are a bunch of extra Tivo, Inc. recordings that don't get used. But if the Disney promo was recorded, it should be in the Showcase menu.

VideoJedi
04-20-2004, 07:33 PM
Backdoors are enabled and now I can see the reserved space recordings, but I don't have the info on my standalone TiVo that the DirecTiVo's have, so I don't know how to extract them. For some reason my TiVo has not recorded these Discovery Channel paid telepromo clips since November 2003. Did TiVo stop recording Discovery Channel for standalone series 1 TiVos? The Discovery Channel on Dish Network is still on the same channel, so I can't imagine why mine hasn't recorded anything since 2003. Any ideas? (no Disney recording BTW)

TheWickedPriest
04-20-2004, 09:50 PM
Perhaps Dish has been preempting late-night Discovery Channel programming (including Tivo's "Teleworld Paid Program") in favor of their own infomercials. :confused: I've heard of that with cable... Sorry.

Re "I don't have the info" -- All the same info is there; it's just the buttons that are labelled differently. It might be "Enter" on your remote instead of "Info"; I'm not sure.

VideoJedi
04-21-2004, 01:41 AM
Or possibly M*A*S*H is recording at 4am everyday when these things seem to record, so that's why I am missing them. Shoot!

I'll play around and see if I can find the info to extract the ones I like.

Waruwaru
02-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Is it possible to extract the yellow star using TivoWeb & TyTools? I don't have the backdoor enabled on my DTivo S2. I am not sure where I should look in the TivoWebPlus->MFS page. Thanks for any info.

EDIT: Found my answer, just in case you are interested.

First, find the FSID for the videos you want using TivoWebPlus:
- click on MFS to browse through the MFS file system
- click on Clips->FsID, and look for your Yellow Star clips, the IndexPath will probably give you clues on what it is
- when you find the clip you want, I think either the IndexUsedBy or the Recording field will give you the FSID you need to pull the video

Second, follow the above thread to use mplayer and vserver to pull down the video. Search for mplayer on how to get it to work. I had to pull down mplayer binary for Windows from http://mplayerhq.hu/ and overwrite a few files with the Tivo-mplayer binary from cwingert's sourceforge site (http://tivo-mplayer.sourceforge.net/).