PDA

View Full Version : EtiVo: Automatic Re-encoding and catalogging of TiVo shows - 1.0.1924.0

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Masnark
04-21-2004, 02:40 PM
New version 1.0.1924.0

Main site is at http://prish.com/etivo - you can find installation guides there.

Forums can be found at http://active.prish.com/prishforum

Downloads are at http://prish.com/etivo/downloads.htm

Change lists can be found at http://prish.com/EtiVo/EtiVo_ChangeList.htm

New version post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44564)

jasch
04-21-2004, 03:59 PM
Great work. Not no be harsh or anything, but what advantages do I have over having my videos on WMV instead of the readily-available MPG's or TY's (using TyTool).

Masnark
04-21-2004, 04:07 PM
Well.. It all depends on what you need/want.

They main reason I wanned to hack my TIVO was to enable my sister over-seas to download shows she wants.

Things that might or might not be useful - these were the things I was interested in:
1. I can store 1000 hours / 100Gb of decent quality (to me) shows - I wont need to stream or download things I want to see from my TiVo.
2. The files are downloadable over a slow uplink connection (My DSL out is only about 128kbit - downloading 1GB over it would take forever).
3. You can have multi-bitrate WMVs - which basically means that if you want to stream movies from your house to some external target, it will be pretty easy to do by using Windows Encoding Server (or even Windows Media Encoder, which is free).
4. I got to write a multi-threaded communication layer. I haven't done that in a very long while.

jasch
04-21-2004, 04:16 PM
The only reason I can think off, is the smaller file size... What would be so great. I'll give your app a try, and see how much space can I gain over the extracted videos.

jasch
04-21-2004, 04:18 PM
What runtimes do I need? It says unable to locate mscoree.dll, so I guess I am missing some support libraries... :o

Masnark
04-21-2004, 04:25 PM
You need the .net runtime. I keep forgetting most people are not Mirosoftophiles like me.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/technologyinfo/howtoget/default.aspx

I am adding a "Requirements" section to my post.

The easiest way is just to download it from http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

jasch
04-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Yeah. I am not installing a 24mb framework, just for a couple of DLL's. I am very anti-MS as it is...

Sorry.

Masnark
04-21-2004, 04:36 PM
Most people are. :) (anti-MS)

Barrett
04-21-2004, 08:59 PM
This sounds like a cool tool, would be useful for pocketPC users, I may give it a shot when I move out and leave my DirecTivo at home

Masnark
04-22-2004, 05:03 AM
I have a new, much much much more stable version.

You can find it here:
http://prish.com/etivo/downloads.htm

And you can find much more usage info in http://prish.com/EtiVo.

sanderton
04-22-2004, 03:49 PM
Very tidy!

malfunct
04-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Yeah. I am not installing a 24mb framework, just for a couple of DLL's. I am very anti-MS as it is...

Sorry.

You don't need the entire framework, only the redistributable which is much smaller. Also you need more than a "couple dlls", think java VM.

Masnark
04-22-2004, 04:04 PM
Does anyone have any idea how I can see what my FTP Client is doing wrong by enabling logging on mfsFtp or something?

I am getting the following problems:
* Sometimes I will try opening connections and it will just downright fail.
* I sometimes have problems with MfsFtp crashing completely. It's probably something that my client is sending wrong.

Thanks

sanderton
04-22-2004, 04:41 PM
You can start mfs_ftp in the foreground and watch its activity via telnet, or change the info(dbl) varable to some high number to see more in the regular log.

Masnark
04-22-2004, 05:03 PM
You can start mfs_ftp in the foreground and watch its activity via telnet, or change the info(dbl) varable to some high number to see more in the regular log.

Hrrm...

How do I run it in the foreground? When I execute it from telnet (mfsftp.tcl) it automatically runs itself in the background. Is there any switch I can use?

Thanks.

Masnark
04-29-2004, 10:28 PM
I put out a new version. This one includes a web-interface and a lot of improvements.

Note that you may want to clear the directory that was created by previous versions.

http://www.prish.com/EtiVo

For downloads: http://www.prish.com/EtiVo/downloads.htm

cmylxgo
05-02-2004, 12:40 PM
I've been testing this app for almost a week now and IT ROCKS! This makes it very easy to share your recordings over broadband. I find this app especially useful when I am traveling. The hotels usually have broadband and a very limited TV channel line up so my tivo is a necessity. My home connection lets me stream the video in real-time with the default encoder settings. I have a 500k upstream connection.

Thanks for a great app!

Abone9
05-02-2004, 10:09 PM
This looks very promising. I am a Mac guy but this might give me an excuse to use my pc for something other than games. I will give this a shot and see how it works.

Aaron

Abone9
05-03-2004, 12:37 AM
Okay, I have all the requirments running on my WinXP pro machine IIS, WM9 Encoder, .net framework, etc... But I am having problems getting the etivoweb and service components working properly. I am new to IIS so I might be doing something wrong. I set a virtual directory called EtiVoWeb in the wwwroot folder and set that in the web installation on port 6969. I also installed the service part but needed to go to properties In IIS and set it to listen to port 6969 before it would let me install. My problem is that I can only rune the etivo server or the IIS server not both. I know I am making a simple mistake here. After I run the Etivo service I can telnet to it fine but the IIS server stops so then I can't reach the webpage. Actually I have never been ablet to access the etivoweb page at all in any configuration. Any help would be appreciated. Let me know if you need more from my side.

Aaron

Abone9
05-03-2004, 01:16 AM
Allright, I have been mucking around with a few things and the etivoservice seems to work just fine it connects to the Tivo and it is automatically pulling shows and re-encoding them. The problem now is whenever I try to access the etivoweb via http://localhost/etivoweb it just displays the etivostatus.aspx in text. Again I am probably overlooking something simple.

Thanks

cmylxgo
05-03-2004, 01:24 AM
Okay, I have all the requirments running on my WinXP pro machine IIS, WM9 Encoder, .net framework, etc... But I am having problems getting the etivoweb and service components working properly. I am new to IIS so I might be doing something wrong. I set a virtual directory called EtiVoWeb in the wwwroot folder and set that in the web installation on port 6969. I also installed the service part but needed to go to properties In IIS and set it to listen to port 6969 before it would let me install. My problem is that I can only rune the etivo server or the IIS server not both. I know I am making a simple mistake here. After I run the Etivo service I can telnet to it fine but the IIS server stops so then I can't reach the webpage. Actually I have never been ablet to access the etivoweb page at all in any configuration. Any help would be appreciated. Let me know if you need more from my side.

Aaron

Ok...sounds like you are mixing up what your real problem is...Lets try backing up to the begining...uninstall everything and follow my addational steps to the normal instructions.

1. Install the etivosrv.
2. For testing purposes I removed the authentication for the web page. To do this...
a. open 'Internet Information Services' under Control Panal/Administrative Tools
b. Expand to your Default Web Site and right click on EtiVoWeb and click on properties.
c. Select the Directory Security Tab and then click edit.
d. Place a check mark in Anonymous access and click OK and then click Apply and close.

Now would also be a good time to add the virtual directory for the download/encoded recordings. To do this...

1. Right click on Default Web Site and click New/Virtual Directory
2. Name it 'movies' and click next browse to where your data directory is going to be and click 'next' and then 'next' again and then finally click 'Finish'

Now make sure you have edited your EtivoSrv.exe.config file to reflect the above. You may have to change it from a read-only file. After you have confirmed your EtivoSrv.exe.config file is setup properly install the EtivoWeb. Once installed you will have to manually run EtivoSrv.exe the first time to intialize the service. That is in C:\Program Files\EtiVoServer. Once you have started the service you can open a browser and point to http://localhost/etivoweb that should pop up your web page.

By default EtivoSrv looks for IIS on port 80, which is the default http port. Hope this helps.

cmylxgo
05-03-2004, 01:25 AM
Allright, I have been mucking around with a few things and the etivoservice seems to work just fine it connects to the Tivo and it is automatically pulling shows and re-encoding them. The problem now is whenever I try to access the etivoweb via http://localhost/etivoweb it just displays the etivostatus.aspx in text. Again I am probably overlooking something simple.

Thanks

Restart the service. Wait a few seconds and reload the page. Make sure your EtivoSrv.exe.config file is setup properlly.

Abone9
05-03-2004, 01:56 AM
First off I want to thank you for all your help. I followed your instructions to a T and I am still just getting the etivostaus.aspx. I am starting to think I might have an ASP problem. I installed the ASP components via the technical article listed on the etivo site. One problem I am having is after I reboot the etivo service will start but IIS will hang, If I quit the etivo service I can sart IIS and then restart etivo and it connects and resumes download. Any Ideas?

Aaron

Update: I tried accessing the page from My mac and I get the Default.css source listed in text and not the etivostatus.

dogo
05-03-2004, 02:35 PM
Ok i was having this problem i was able to fix this by visting this page
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306005

hope it helps

dogo

Thanks

Masnark
05-03-2004, 03:59 PM
First off I want to thank you for all your help. I followed your instructions to a T and I am still just getting the etivostaus.aspx. I am starting to think I might have an ASP problem. I installed the ASP components via the technical article listed on the etivo site. One problem I am having is after I reboot the etivo service will start but IIS will hang, If I quit the etivo service I can sart IIS and then restart etivo and it connects and resumes download. Any Ideas?

Aaron

Update: I tried accessing the page from My mac and I get the Default.css source listed in text and not the etivostatus.

Abone9:
Hi,

You said that you set IIS to work on port 6969, is it still configured to work that way?

If it is, try resetting it back to 80.

If this and the link the previous guy posted do not help you, just post here again, and I will try to walk you through it.

dogo
05-03-2004, 05:34 PM
Hi after running this program for the first time. I have managed to retrieve the file successfully but I then got the following error whilst using the TiVo web interface

Any Ideas?

Dogo

DataBinder.Eval: 'EtiVo.Service.Api.ShowQueueItem' does not contain a property with the name Title.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: DataBinder.Eval: 'EtiVo.Service.Api.ShowQueueItem' does not contain a property with the name Title.

Source Error:

Line 13: <ItemTemplate>
Line 14: <tr>
Line 15: <td><%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "Title") %></td>
Line 16: <td>
Line 17: <%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "FailReason") %>

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\EtiVoWeb\FailedShows.ascx Line: 15

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): DataBinder.Eval: 'EtiVo.Service.Api.ShowQueueItem' does not contain a property with the name Title.]
System.Web.UI.DataBinder.GetPropertyValue(Object container, String propName) +143
System.Web.UI.DataBinder.Eval(Object container, String[] expressionParts) +71
System.Web.UI.DataBinder.Eval(Object container, String expression) +82
ASP.FailedShows_ascx.__DataBind__control4(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\EtiVoWeb\FailedShows.ascx:15
System.Web.UI.Control.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) +66
System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind() +26
System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind() +86
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.CreateItem(Int32 itemIndex, ListItemType itemType, Boolean dataBind, Object dataItem) +127
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.CreateControlHierarchy(Boolean useDataSource) +475
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) +49
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.DataBind() +23
EtiVo.Web.FailedShows.BindList(ArrayList list) in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\EtiVoWeb\FailedShows.ascx.cs:28
EtiVo.Web.EtiVoStatus.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\EtiVoWeb\EtiVoStatus.aspx.cs:89
System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +731

Abone9
05-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Allright I am making progress here. I tried Dogo's suggestion and that fixed the webpage problem and changing it back to port 80 fixed the problem of only having one of the services run at a time. I am assuming I can change the web address to any port other than 6969 so that I can access my tivo server from outside my firewall as my ISP blocks port 80. Now my problem is I don't get a list of shows that are queued. I have had 3 shows download but I don't see any encoded shows. If I browse to my data directory the ty's are there and they play but they have not been converted to wmv. If I go to status it lists my uptime and the other settings are blank. I noticed that the etivoservice is reporting EtiVo.Service.Queueserverlistener.ThreadStartListening() in C:\Documents and settings\Shahar\My Documents\visual studio projects\etivo\etivosrv\queueserverlistener.cs:line 24 This doesn't seem right as I assume this is a path on your machine.

Any Suggestions?

Aaron

Masnark
05-03-2004, 06:51 PM
DataBinder.Eval: 'EtiVo.Service.Api.ShowQueueItem' does not contain a property with the name Title.

Yeah.. Oh boy..

This is a bug. You can just edit the FailedShows.ascx file and change the following line:

<td><%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "Title") %></td>

To:

<td><%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "ShowName") %></td>

This should do the trick for that bug.

As for your second problem:

If you have the TY files, it means they have not been ecoded yet, so you will not see them in the Encoded Shows page. Look to see if you have a QueueItem.xml file in there. If you do, the files should be queued again next time you boot up the service, if you dont have that file, it means that EtiVo decided to fail the show and not enqueue it again. This should not happen. Just delete the directories, and let it go through the motions of downloading the show again.

You said your encoding failed. I need you to tell me two things:
1. Does the account under which you installed the service have administrative rights?
2. Can you quote here the contents of your EtiVoSrv.exe.config?

I am trying to get a (much) more stable version out. It's working flawlesly on my encoding machine (that's a different machine than my dev machine) for a while now, with the help of a lot of testing from cmylxgo. Hopefuly in the following few days the 0501 build will be ready to consume.

Abone9
05-03-2004, 07:11 PM
Looks like everything is working fine. I made that change and rebooted my system and it is working. One thing I noticed is that if you view the status page with the Mozilla firefox browser the highlighted percentage bleeds all the way down the page overshadowing anything in that area of the screen. It did it on both the Mac and Pc versions of firefox but Safari on the mac works fine as well as IE on the PC. Just thought I would give you a little feedback. If there is anything I can do to help support this project let me know.

Aaron

Masnark
05-03-2004, 07:21 PM
Looks like everything is working fine. I made that change and rebooted my system and it is working. One thing I noticed is that if you view the status page with the Mozilla firefox browser the highlighted percentage bleeds all the way down the page overshadowing anything in that area of the screen. It did it on both the Mac and Pc versions of firefox but Safari on the mac works fine as well as IE on the PC. Just thought I would give you a little feedback. If there is anything I can do to help support this project let me know.

Aaron

Glad it works for you.

Hmm.. Any such feedback is good. What's firefox? A version of Netscape? I would hate to write DHTML that will fit multiple browsers. I think I will just detect if it's IE I am connected to and not show advanced DHTML stuffs if it's not.

Any bugs you find, or ideas for improvements will be greatly appreciated. Just send them to me in an email, or post them here.

Abone9
05-03-2004, 07:25 PM
Here is the link to the firefox webpage. It is a pretty slimmed down browser that I use because of the tabbed browsing capabilities and it's speed. http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ I also noticed that the percentage status isn't highlighted at all in Safari for the Mac but that isn't an issue as much as it is just eyecandy. Thanks for all your help.

Aaron

dogo
05-03-2004, 07:33 PM
Hi,

1) Fixed the bug thing as you suggested :-)

2) The QueueItem.xml file was indeed in that directory, so i deleted the directory and starting again!

3) yes the account does indeed have administrative rights

here is a copy of my EtiVoSrv.exe.config file, the only thing i have changed is the TiVo host bit

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
<!-- For more information on these settings, go to http://www.prish.com/EtiVo -->
<appSettings>
<add key="listenPort" value="6969"/> <!-- What port the EtiVo service should listen on. -->
<add key="tivoHost" value="192.168.0.2"/> <!-- The name of the TiVo on the network. -->
<add key="mfsFtpPort" value="3105"/> <!-- The port on which EtiVo will try to connect to MfsFtp on.-->
<add key="dataDir" value="c:\data"/> <!-- The directory that is used to store the filles. -->
<add key="wmeFile" value="WmvLow.wme"/> <!-- The file that will be used to encode the show. This file can be created and edited easily by using Windows Media Encoder. -->
<add key="simulate" value="false"/> <!-- -->
<add key="autoTivo" value="false"/> <!-- This sets the default state of the auto tivo feature when the service boots up. -->
<add key="waitTime" value="20000"/> <!-- -->
<add key="encoderClass" value="EtiVo.Service.OutOfProcEncoder"/> <!-- -->
<add key="logToFile" value="true"/> <!-- This will cause EtiVo to create a log file. -->
</appSettings>
</configuration>

Yeah.. Oh boy..

This is a bug. You can just edit the FailedShows.ascx file and change the following line:

<td><%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "Title") %></td>

To:

<td><%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "ShowName") %></td>

This should do the trick for that bug.

As for your second problem:

If you have the TY files, it means they have not been ecoded yet, so you will not see them in the Encoded Shows page. Look to see if you have a QueueItem.xml file in there. If you do, the files should be queued again next time you boot up the service, if you dont have that file, it means that EtiVo decided to fail the show and not enqueue it again. This should not happen. Just delete the directories, and let it go through the motions of downloading the show again.

You said your encoding failed. I need you to tell me two things:
1. Does the account under which you installed the service have administrative rights?
2. Can you quote here the contents of your EtiVoSrv.exe.config?

I am trying to get a (much) more stable version out. It's working flawlesly on my encoding machine (that's a different machine than my dev machine) for a while now, with the help of a lot of testing from cmylxgo. Hopefuly in the following few days the 0501 build will be ready to consume.

FredThompson
05-03-2004, 07:44 PM
Here's a CSS compliance filter for IE.

dogo
05-03-2004, 08:13 PM
Masnark
I just tried running it all again and it failed on encoding again!

I have just shut the window down with the error message Damm!

It was somethink to do with no response from the encoder?

any help

Masnark
05-03-2004, 08:21 PM
dogo :

Edit: If it was something with no response from the slave encoder, try doing the thing I described below, with the WM9Encoder. Tell me if it works or not.

Edit2: Also, try checking if your encoder works properly - run it from the Start/Programs/Windows Media (I think) /Encoder.

Are all encoding failing all the time, or is it just a one time thing? If it just happened for one file, or only sporadically, can you find that in the log and send me a snippet of it?

Also, if you want, try this: See that place in the config file where it says encoderClass? Try changing it to:

<add key="encoderClass" value="EtiVo.Service.WM9Encoder"/>

This will run the encoder in the same process as the main EtiVoService. This has the bonus of not having to run another process, but has the disadvantage of hogging the CPU on a "Normal" priority process (basically, things will work slowly for no good reason).

If this works consistently and the OutOfProc one does not then.. Umm.. I will need to think about what's going on wrong there. :)

Abone9
05-03-2004, 10:43 PM
Okay my first few shows are encoded and available to stream or download :) It works nice in my own network for streaming but for obvious reasons external systems get a much slower transfer. I am curious how hard it would be to use a divx encoder instead of Windows Media. Is this something that would be as simple as changing the encoder and a few config remarks or a more detailed switch?

Aaron

Abone9
05-03-2004, 11:10 PM
After a few more of my shows were encoded I started getting parsing errors and the download links just lead to unavailable pages. The titles were very long so I am wondering if this has anything to do with it. Is there an easy way to change the title and have etivoweb still recognize the show for download?

Aaron

Abone9
05-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Sorry about going nuts with the posts here but I noticed that etivoweb stalled on a show at 43% for over an hour so I restarted mfs_ftp and etivoserver and it started downloading the show from the beginning again. Now all my completed shows are gone from the list but are still in my Data share. What would cause all my status for encoded shows to disappear?

SteveJenkins
05-03-2004, 11:54 PM
I notice your requirements say Windows XP Pro or Windows Server 2003. Will it work on Win2K Server if the .NET libraries are properly installed?

Masnark
05-04-2004, 01:28 AM
Sorry about going nuts with the posts here but I noticed that etivoweb stalled on a show at 43% for over an hour so I restarted mfs_ftp and etivoserver and it started downloading the show from the beginning again. Now all my completed shows are gone from the list but are still in my Data share. What would cause all my status for encoded shows to disappear?

Quite alright. It's still very shaky, and it can be quite annoying. Surprisingly, it's working on my machine for over 3 days now and it's completely stable.

As for why they all disapeared - did you you try to restart your service? It SHOULD be able to reload them and know which ones are ok.

As for DivX, it all depends on what tools are available. At worst, if there's a DivX command-line encoder available, you should be able to use that with no progress bar. I made EtiVo in such a way that it would be easy for me to accomodate such requests. If you are a .net coder, I can write the hooks that will allow you to make it. Otherwise, I have a few other things I want to finish before I take extension requests. :)

I notice your requirements say Windows XP Pro or Windows Server 2003. Will it work on Win2K Server if the .NET libraries are properly installed?

It should work perfectly on 2k. Dunno why I forgot to list it.

Masnark
05-04-2004, 01:30 AM
Hey,

I am mainly working on stabilizing the next small update so that we have less of the problems you guys have been experiencing. I am working with cmylxgo, and he has been finding lots of bugs. :)

Hopefuly in a day or two, I will have a far more stable version for you guys to use.

Edit: I added some known issues at the top post.

Abone9
05-04-2004, 01:34 AM
I figured out the shows were just moved to the available shows section and no longer were on the front page, no problem there. I am not sure if you saw my question about the parsing errors. So far only the chappelle show is affected as they tend to have really long titles. Everytime I try to click on download it says page not available. I look at the xml file with the wmv and it says something about a parsing error. If there is a simple way to rename the wmv files to a shorter name and have them be available to download via etivoweb that would be really nice.

Masnark
05-04-2004, 01:36 AM
I figured out the shows were just moved to the available shows section and no longer were on the front page, no problem there. I am not sure if you saw my question about the parsing errors. So far only the chappelle show is affected as they tend to have really long titles. Everytime I try to click on download it says page not available. I look at the xml file with the wmv and it says something about a parsing error. If there is a simple way to rename the wmv files to a shorter name and have them be available to download via etivoweb that would be really nice.

Oh oh.. Now I get it.. Yeah. The completed shows are just for the current run of EtiVo.

As for parsing - yeah. I know about it. Pissed me off. Thought it was .net being a mean !#$#, but it was mostly my fault. The 0501 version (should) solve most if not all those problems. If you want to beta it, send me an email to shahar@prish.com, I will send you a PR.

dogo
05-04-2004, 04:03 AM
Hi,

The error message is: Remote encoder did not call back to us.

as for recordings all faill to encorde, i cant seem to be able to encode a thing even using the GUI on Windows Media encoder.

any ideas?

dogo :

Edit: If it was something with no response from the slave encoder, try doing the thing I described below, with the WM9Encoder. Tell me if it works or not.

Edit2: Also, try checking if your encoder works properly - run it from the Start/Programs/Windows Media (I think) /Encoder.

Are all encoding failing all the time, or is it just a one time thing? If it just happened for one file, or only sporadically, can you find that in the log and send me a snippet of it?

Also, if you want, try this: See that place in the config file where it says encoderClass? Try changing it to:

<add key="encoderClass" value="EtiVo.Service.WM9Encoder"/>

This will run the encoder in the same process as the main EtiVoService. This has the bonus of not having to run another process, but has the disadvantage of hogging the CPU on a "Normal" priority process (basically, things will work slowly for no good reason).

If this works consistently and the OutOfProc one does not then.. Umm.. I will need to think about what's going on wrong there. :)

Masnark
05-04-2004, 04:18 AM
Hi,

The error message is: Remote encoder did not call back to us.

as for recordings all faill to encorde, i cant seem to be able to encode a thing even using the GUI on Windows Media encoder.

any ideas?

Do you have TyShow installed and working on that machine?

It's one of the requirements.

dogo
05-04-2004, 04:31 AM
Masnark,

Yes TyShow is installed, and i am able to watch the files that end in ty.

Masnark
05-04-2004, 12:15 PM
Masnark,

Yes TyShow is installed, and i am able to watch the files that end in ty.

Hmmmmm...

That's incredibly strange. And you are saying Windows Media Encoder 9 fails to transform them? Does it do anything, or does it just choke from the get-go?

Can you post the time-stamp of your Windows Media Encoder 9 exe file? Should be named wmenc.exe under your Program Files/Windows Media Components/Encoder I think.

dogo
05-04-2004, 12:53 PM
Ok here goes

File Version: 9.0.02980
Created: 11 December 2002, 19:38:52
Modified: 11 December 2002, 19:38:52
Size: 599KB (613,88bytes)
Size on Disk 600KB (614,400bytes)

When i run the encoder on its own, it did the first pass ok then failed! once again i forgot the error message
Hope this helps track down the problem

here is the error message no for the media player

You've encountered error message 8004020A while using Windows Media Player. You might be able to find a solution for this error by using one of the following support resources:

Oh here's another thing :-) if i play the TY files in media player they do work, but i get the error "No sample buffer allocator is available" when i stop the playing Not sure if this is related or not! but i cant find what the error is

Dogo

Hmmmmm...

That's incredibly strange. And you are saying Windows Media Encoder 9 fails to transform them? Does it do anything, or does it just choke from the get-go?

Can you post the time-stamp of your Windows Media Encoder 9 exe file? Should be named wmenc.exe under your Program Files/Windows Media Components/Encoder I think.

Masnark
05-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Ah yes.

2 pass encoding.. Currently TyShow seems to be having a problem with that. It's on my list of things to check, but it's still in the future. Since the author of TyShow is pretty much not updating it anymore, I doubt he will have time to look into it.

I will be checking it once I have the time (it's open source I think) and see if I can fix it.

Try single-pass encoding and tell me if that works out better for you.

mavrcksd
05-04-2004, 02:06 PM
i have version 0428 installed, and it connects to mfs-ftp and goes into PASV mode, and then nothing.

I can see the web page, (after the microsoft .net fix) at their website.

What is the timeout to start downloading shows?

There are approx 8 shows on my tivo... and i have downloaded using mfsftp in the past..

Thanks

Masnark
05-04-2004, 02:10 PM
Hmm..

It usually takes it a minute or two to start downloading.

Did you set the config file to point to your TiVo? Does your MfsFtp work on a port other than 3105? Both these are configurable through the config file.

Also, try the following:

1. Make sure AutoTivo is off.
2. Connect to it via telnet (telnet localhost 6969). (Make sure you get "Welcome to EtiVo!")
3. Type in at the ">" prompt: list
4. Wait for a minute or two at most.
5. Tell me what you get back, if anything.

mavrcksd
05-04-2004, 03:04 PM
i get
<Queuelist>
</Queuelist>
>

Masnark
05-04-2004, 03:12 PM
i get
<Queuelist>
</Queuelist>
>

1. Just to make sure - you are getting:
<QueueList>
</QueueList>
right? Not <Queuelist>?

2. Do the following:
Same thing, type in:
resautotivo
list

Tell me what you get.

If you still get an empty list, tell me if using an FTP client from the same computer also fails.

If an FTP client works, please make sure that the port and host names are correct.

If it all still seems ok, please turn on file logging thru the config file (change it to true if it's false) and post a snippet of the log (it has an obvious entry each time the process loads) after doing the aforementioned "list".

mavrcksd
05-04-2004, 04:03 PM
Info: Session: Session created.
Info: FtpFetcher: Opening connection to mflo-tivo
Info: FtpFetcher: 220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p - {sock19} from "129.46.89.78:1287"
Info: FtpFetcher: USER anonymous
Info: FtpFetcher: 331 User name okay, need password.
Info: FtpFetcher: PASS anonymous@anonymous.net
Info: FtpFetcher: 230 Running in TiVo Mode.
Info: FtpFetcher: Connected to mflo-tivo
Info: FtpFetcher: CWD /ty
Info: FtpFetcher: 250 Directory change successful.
Info: FtpFetcher: PWD
Info: FtpFetcher: 257 "/ty" is current directory.
Info: FtpFetcher: Current directory is /ty
Info: FtpFetcher: PASV
Info: FtpFetcher: 227 Entering Passive Mode (129,46,89,190,12,32).
Info: FtpFetcher: LIST -aL
Info: FtpFetcher: 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
Info: FtpFetcher: 226 Transfer complete.
Info: FtpFetcher: Closing connection to mflo-tivo
Info: FtpFetcher: QUIT
Info: FtpFetcher: 221 Server Closing Control Connection by client request

mavrcksd
05-04-2004, 04:03 PM
i received the same empty queuelist - the previous post is my log

mavrcksd
05-04-2004, 04:04 PM
yes.. the L is cap.

mavrcksd
05-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Server Error in '/EtiVoWeb' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: DataBinder.Eval: 'EtiVo.Service.Api.ShowQueueItem' does not contain a property with the name Title.

Source Error:

Line 13: <ItemTemplate>
Line 14: <tr>
Line 15: <td><%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "Title") %></td>
Line 16: <td>
Line 17: <%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "FailReason") %>

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\EtivoWeb\FailedShows.ascx Line: 15

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): DataBinder.Eval: 'EtiVo.Service.Api.ShowQueueItem' does not contain a property with the name Title.]
System.Web.UI.DataBinder.GetPropertyValue(Object container, String propName) +144
System.Web.UI.DataBinder.Eval(Object container, String[] expressionParts) +71
System.Web.UI.DataBinder.Eval(Object container, String expression) +82
ASP.FailedShows_ascx.__DataBind__control4(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\EtivoWeb\FailedShows.ascx:15
System.Web.UI.Control.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) +66
System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind() +26
System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind() +86
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.CreateItem(Int32 itemIndex, ListItemType itemType, Boolean dataBind, Object dataItem) +127
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.CreateControlHierarchy(Boolean useDataSource) +475
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) +49
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.DataBind() +23
EtiVo.Web.FailedShows.BindList(ArrayList list) in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\EtiVoWeb\FailedShows.ascx.cs:28
EtiVo.Web.EtiVoStatus.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\EtiVoWeb\EtiVoStatus.aspx.cs:89

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

Masnark
05-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Info: Session: Session created.
Info: FtpFetcher: Opening connection to mflo-tivo
Info: FtpFetcher: 220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p - {sock19} from "129.46.89.78:1287"
Info: FtpFetcher: USER anonymous
[...]
Info: FtpFetcher: 221 Server Closing Control Connection by client request

I'm stumpped.

You didnt answer - did you try using a real ftp client with it?

Also, I (think) I am using the Q version of it. Maybe that's the problem?

I will take a look at it when I get home.

mavrcksd
05-04-2004, 04:09 PM
is this a configuration in MFS_FTP - to spawn a new control socket??

Masnark
05-04-2004, 04:18 PM

I updated the information at the first post, about Known Issues. There is one that solves this problem you are seeing.

d7o
05-04-2004, 04:52 PM
Ah yes.

2 pass encoding.. Currently TyShow seems to be having a problem with that. It's on my list of things to check, but it's still in the future. Since the author of TyShow is pretty much not updating it anymore, I doubt he will have time to look into it.

I will be checking it once I have the time (it's open source I think) and see if I can fix it.

Try single-pass encoding and tell me if that works out better for you.

Actually, I've begun work on TyShow again. I'm aware of this bug and I'll try and have it fixed in the next release.

d7o

Masnark
05-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Most excellent news!!!

d7o
05-05-2004, 03:21 PM
I haven't played with this a whole lot yet so excuse me if this feature is already there.

It would be really cool if you could download the Season Pass list from the tivo so that the end user could select which Season Passes to automatically transfer and transcode. That way, I can have it archive all of my shows and not the kid's shows.

Just a request though...

Masnark
05-05-2004, 04:03 PM
I haven't played with this a whole lot yet so excuse me if this feature is already there.

It would be really cool if you could download the Season Pass list from the tivo so that the end user could select which Season Passes to automatically transfer and transcode. That way, I can have it archive all of my shows and not the kid's shows.

Just a request though...

What I am working on now (except for stabalizing the next revision) is the scheduling and notification feature.

You (should) be able to select a show in the future (or that has already happened) and ask EtiVo to record whenever that show is encountered. As part of that, you will be able to choose a season pass to automatically record (kind'a like an on-going schedule request). Basically, TiVoing the TiVo.

Abone9
05-05-2004, 05:43 PM
you will be able to choose a season pass to automatically record (kind'a like an on-going schedule request). Basically, TiVoing the TiVo.

Very Nice!

Masnark
05-05-2004, 07:50 PM
I have gotten a few questions about using this program w/o IIS. So just to make it clear:

1. EtiVoServer, that's the heart of the system. It has zero need for IIS. It works (when bugs do not plague it) as a service or as a console application. It only needs a windows based system and .NET (which is free) installed.
2. EtiVoWeb - this is the web front-end - this guy needs an IIS Web server with ASP+ runtime installed (the ASP+ runtime is free).

Since EtiVoWeb just uses the protocol EtiVoServer defines, it should be no problem doing the same exact thing that it's doing in a non-IIS environment. I wrote it specifically not to use any special .NET protocols just so that people who want to write a non-IIS version of the web-interface, can.

If nobody writes one, at some point, I might add a very simple HTML generator that is executed by EtiVoServer and just writes the list of ready-shows. But I wont be writing any real non-IIS web-servers.

Also, if all you need is control over EtiVoServer and you dont care about security or it's in your internal network, I will be writing at some point a Win32 client that will interface with it.

I hope this answers these questions.

dogo
05-06-2004, 01:07 AM
Hi Masnark,

Just to keep you updated! I have reinstalled everythink, and things work much better but it is still a 50/50 rate of failure/Success, it still fails with
"Remote encoder did not call back to us.", It would seem to start to encoded the file then fail, but all my copies of the failed programs are 137kb, no more no less!

I can run the GUI of the encoder a produce a file with no problems!

cheers for any info

Dogo

Masnark
05-06-2004, 02:20 AM
Hi Masnark,

Just to keep you updated! I have reinstalled everythink, and things work much better but it is still a 50/50 rate of failure/Success, it still fails with
"Remote encoder did not call back to us.", It would seem to start to encoded the file then fail, but all my copies of the failed programs are 137kb, no more no less!

I can run the GUI of the encoder a produce a file with no problems!

cheers for any info

Dogo

Hey there,

Well... I am now making the final test on a virtual PC to make sure the 0501 version is ok and I will be putting it on the web site. This is a MUCH more stable version and I hope I solved most of the instabilities people have been experiencing. I will also post a change list and known issues (only minor ones).

I really hope I fixed those issues with the out of proc encoder.

Masnark
05-06-2004, 03:46 AM
I placed a new version of the EtiVo on the site - 0501.

I updated the top post.

The main changes are stabilization, and I hope I finally nailed the bug of Encoder did not come back to us. I hope.

Thanks to Corey for helping me test this, and for those of you who posted bugs on these pages!

Abone9
05-06-2004, 11:02 AM
This is a MUCH more stable version and I hope I solved most of the instabilities people have been experiencing. I will also post a change list and known issues (only minor ones).

I really hope I fixed those issues with the out of proc encoder.

Thats Great news! I am heading to Boston for a week but will take a look at this when I get back. I have been having problems with fetching stalling randomly. Sometimes It will fetch over 10 gigs before it crashes and other times it will fetch only 3 gigs. I caused it to freeze once by deleting a show on the Tivo while etivo was trying to fetch it. ;)

Aaron

cmylxgo
05-06-2004, 11:19 AM

I updated the top post.

The main changes are stabilization, and I hope I finally nailed the bug of Encoder did not come back to us. I hope.

Thanks to Corey for helping me test this, and for those of you who posted bugs on these pages!

NP..It was my pleasure. I have been manually encoding shows so I could watch them over broadband while I travel. This app makes it so damn easy its not even funny :D

So Far on one Tivo and one Server I have the following stats...
UpTime: 0 days, 22:59:36
Successful Encodings: 18
Failed Encodings: 1
Total fetched megabytes: 21325

The failed encoding --> Fetching failed:File retrieved from FTP - size is too small.

Second Tivo and Second Server...
UpTime: 1 days, 09:29:19
Successful Encodings: 27
Failed Encodings: 12
Total fetched megabytes: 34785

Title Failure Reason
{The Screen Savers}{2004-04-19}{}{TECH} Remote encoder encountered an error. 7:33 AM
{The Screen Savers}{2004-04-16}{}{TECH} Remote encoder encountered an error. 7:32 AM
{The Screen Savers}{2004-04-20}{}{TECH} Remote encoder encountered an error. 4:34 AM
{The Screen Savers}{2004-04-21}{}{TECH} Remote encoder encountered an error. 12:27 AM
{The Screen Savers}{2004-04-22}{}{TECH} Remote encoder encountered an error. Wed, 5:41 PM
{The Screen Savers}{1998-05-31}{}{TECH} Remote encoder encountered an error. Wed, 2:45 PM
{American Chopper}{2004-03-01}{Leno Bike 2}{DSC} Fetching failed:File retrieved from FTP - size is too small. Wed, 11:14 AM
{Queer Eye for the Straight Guy}{2004-02-24}{Kevin D_}{BRVO} Remote encoder did not call back to us. Wed, 10:59 AM
{Friends}{2004-04-29}{The One With Rachel's Going Away Party}{DT4} Remote encoder did not call back to us. Wed, 7:58 AM
{Star Trek Enterprise}{2004-04-28}{The Forgotten}{DT50} Remote encoder did not call back to us. Wed, 5:32 AM
{Delete Remote Now Playing items}{2032-04-30}{}{REMOTE_TIVO} Remote encoder encountered an error. Wed, 1:43 AM
{Refresh Remote Now Playing items}{2032-04-30}{}{REMOTE_TIVO} Remote encoder encountered an error. Wed, 1:43 AM

mavrcksd
05-06-2004, 11:33 AM
I have gotten a few questions about using this program w/o IIS. So just to make it clear:

1. EtiVoServer, that's the heart of the system. It has zero need for IIS. It works (when bugs do not plague it) as a service or as a console application. It only needs a windows based system and .NET (which is free) installed.
2. EtiVoWeb - this is the web front-end - this guy needs an IIS Web server with ASP+ runtime installed (the ASP+ runtime is free).

Since EtiVoWeb just uses the protocol EtiVoServer defines, it should be no problem doing the same exact thing that it's doing in a non-IIS environment. I wrote it specifically not to use any special .NET protocols just so that people who want to write a non-IIS version of the web-interface, can.

If nobody writes one, at some point, I might add a very simple HTML generator that is executed by EtiVoServer and just writes the list of ready-shows. But I wont be writing any real non-IIS web-servers.

Also, if all you need is control over EtiVoServer and you dont care about security or it's in your internal network, I will be writing at some point a Win32 client that will interface with it.

I hope this answers these questions.

This would be great news, or if you need any help with PHP let me know.

I have finally gotten everything to run, I will however put in the .501 version as well to get the stability.

I run a LINUX web server at home, and none of my windoze clients are running when i'm not there. I think abstinance works well for microsoft products too!. You dont touch them and they run just fine :P hahah j/k.

Anyway. The ability to have the download / view / stream capability from a linux machine would be great...

Thanks.

Masnark
05-06-2004, 12:49 PM
This would be great news, or if you need any help with PHP let me know.

I have finally gotten everything to run, I will however put in the .501 version as well to get the stability.

I run a LINUX web server at home, and none of my windoze clients are running when i'm not there. I think abstinance works well for microsoft products too!. You dont touch them and they run just fine :P hahah j/k.

Anyway. The ability to have the download / view / stream capability from a linux machine would be great...

Thanks.

Well.. If you want to write the web server - I will help you out as much I can, with making the protocol run etc.

Remote encoder encountered an error. 7:33 AM
Fetching failed:File retrieved from FTP - size is too small. Wed, 11:14 AM
Remote encoder did not call back to us. Wed, 10:59 AM

Ok. I'll explain what each of those means.

Remote encoder encountered an error - This means that when trying to run the Windows encoder on the other process, an error has occurred. The error (should) be visible in the SlaveEncoder.log. I am very interested at what it is.

Fetching failed:File retrieved from FTP - size is too small - Currently EtiVo will fail a transcoding if the file size is smaller than 1 MB. I did this because it seemed to me that fetching such a small file must be an error. Am I wrong? Can you have shows that are that small?

Remote encoder did not call back to us. This should not happen anymore. But it used to happen if the computer was busy for more than 20sec and did not let the remote encoder run.

TheAvatar
05-06-2004, 08:09 PM
Okay, I'll state the obvious. But let me first say I'm no net newby! I've been Telneting, FTPing and even Gophering since I got my first bitnet account back in the 80s.
I think this a great tool, but what would make it remarkable is if the need for telneting and typing long strings of characters were replaced with a slick web inerface, maybe a tivoweb module too?
Click here to see a list of shows ijn NOW SHOWING, click on Show name to transcode to WMA and stream....
It could be a windows version of TyStreamer

Ah, If only I had gone into computers instead of Medicine..... :)
Anyone have the "Mad Sk1llz" to do this? :)

Masnark
05-06-2004, 08:13 PM
Okay, I'll state the obvious. But let me first say I'm no net newby! I've been Telneting, FTPing and even Gophering since I got my first bitnet account back in the 80s.
I think this a great tool, but what would make it remarkable is if the need for telneting and typing long strings of characters were replaced with a slick web inerface, maybe a tivoweb module too?
Click here to see a list of shows ijn NOW SHOWING, click on Show name to transcode to WMA and stream....
It could be a windows version of TyStreamer

Ah, If only I had gone into computers instead of Medicine..... :)
Anyone have the "Mad Sk1llz" to do this? :)

You dont need to telnet. If you have IIS installed, you can just use the EtiVo Web - it gives a web interface to most long strings the telnet client supports and then some. It will stream via HTTP the WMV to you and let you see it on your machine etc. Take a look on the site - it has examples of how it looks.

TheAvatar
05-06-2004, 08:39 PM
don't you still need to use telnet to cue the shows you want to transcode?

Masnark
05-06-2004, 08:47 PM
don't you still need to use telnet to cue the shows you want to transcode?

Nope.

You have a screen called "Manual Queuing" where you just click the show and it will enqueue the shows for you.

TheAvatar
05-07-2004, 12:37 AM
When I go to manual Queing I get the following error

An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 211, position 52.

Exception Details: System.Xml.XmlException: An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 211, position 52.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[XmlException: An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 211, position 52.]
System.Xml.XmlScanner.ScanNamedEntity() +617
System.Xml.XmlTextReader.ParseBeginTagExpandCharEntities() +714
System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read() +216
System.Xml.XmlValidatingReader.ReadNoCollectTextToken() +38
System.Xml.XmlValidatingReader.Read() +14
System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadChildren(XmlNode parent) +33
System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadElementNode() +144
System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadCurrentNode() +38
System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadCurrentNode() +192
System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadChildren(XmlNode parent) +47
System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadCurrentNode() +192
System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadChildren(XmlNode parent) +47
System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadDocSequence(XmlDocument parentDoc) +49
System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace) +102
System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader) +72
System.Xml.XmlDocument.LoadXml(String xml) +163
EtiVo.Service.Api.EtiVoServer.ReadXmlDomResponse() in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\EtiVoWeb0501\ApiEtivoServer.cs:106
EtiVo.Service.Api.EtiVoServer.ExecuteCommand(String cmd) in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\EtiVoWeb0501\ApiEtivoServer.cs:162
EtiVo.Service.Api.EtiVoServer.GetNotQueuedList() in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\EtiVoWeb0501\ApiEtivoServer.cs:122
EtiVo.Web.UnrecordedShows.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\EtiVoWeb0501\UnrecordedShows.aspx.cs:32

I have just installed the latest versions of etivoserver and web...

TheAvatar
05-07-2004, 01:06 AM
Well Auto Tivo seems to work, it's fetching right now.

Another thought, how about using requantizer which was mentioned on the TyStreamer Messages,
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62849

It uses an algorthem that VERY quickly will reduce the bitrate of a MPEG file
resulting in a smaller file. People have been using it to Shrink DVDs to fit on
DVD-R media.

This could be a quicker way to "re-encode" the files, Not sure shich would have the better quality, WMA or "re-encoded" MPEG, but the MPEG might re-encode fast enough to allow real time streaming while "re-encoding"

Masnark
05-07-2004, 03:00 AM
TheAvatar:

1. That is a very weird error. Can you telnet to your EtiVo (port 6969) and type in "list" and send me the log of the telnet session (all the output)? It basically means my EtiVo is spitting out malformed XML, which.. Well.. It shouldnt. I must've screwed up there.

2. About the MP2 Reencoding - yeah - but one needs a Linux machine for that. Plus, I dont necesserily want to stream the files, but change them to a managable size so that people can download them.

In my tries, reencoding MP2s to the level where 1hr takes ~120MB results in horrible results when you compare them to WMV (of course, WMV was designed for that, so not like it's surprising).

If you just need the streaming, I suggest you use that software - EtiVo is more for making a downloadable library and for people who do not have Linux. It would be infinitely more efficient to use the MP2 reencoder rather than my software.

TheAvatar
05-07-2004, 06:51 PM
I"ll send that log when I get a chance.
I still think requantizer (which has been ported to Windows) should be looked at, I played arround with it and was able to reduce a 600 MB 30 min show into a 140 MB very watchable MPEG file, the kicker is it only took 90 SECONDS to convert the 30 min program!!!

erhan
05-07-2004, 08:23 PM
1. That is a very weird error. Can you telnet to your EtiVo (port 6969) and type in "list" and send me the log of the telnet session (all the output)? It basically means my EtiVo is spitting out malformed XML, which.. Well.. It shouldnt. I must've screwed up there.

It chokes on the ampersand sign:

<ShowName>{House of Mouse}{Timon & Pumbaa}{DIS2}{No Info}</ShowName>

Masnark
05-08-2004, 01:35 AM
It chokes on the ampersand sign:

<ShowName>{House of Mouse}{Timon & Pumbaa}{DIS2}{No Info}</ShowName>

Hmm.. I just took another look at the code to make sure. This really should not be happening. I have multiple shows with a "&" and they all work fine, translating to &amp;.

2 questions:
1. What's the version are you using? Can you make sure it's 0501? Just right-click properties EtiVoSrv.exe in your program files\etivoserver directory, and go to version. It should say 0.01.0501.0

If that's not the case, try uninstalling and installing.

2. This Show Name seems very weird to me. I haven't seen one like it before. Can you post the name of the .ty file as MfsFtp reports it? The full name?

Thanks.

TheAvatar
05-08-2004, 02:18 AM
Okay, I tried typing list but there was no responce, so I rebooted my Tivo and restarted the service. Now I am able to open the page but akll I see it:

Available shows EtiVo Status Manual Queuing EtiVo home page

Click on a show name to queue it for recording. Notice that when you manually enqueue a show, it will take priority over AutoTivo shows.

No shows are listed!

[QUOTE=Masnark]TheAvatar:

TheAvatar
05-08-2004, 03:11 AM
Final got it to work!
HAd to uninstall and re-install etivoserver (Had the wrong version)
Take about 10 minutes to transfer a 650MB 30 min file from the Tivo to the PC and A LOT longer to re-encode it. Is there anyway to start re-encoding the stream while ther file is still transfering? That at least would save 10 minutes off of the proceses.
And then there's requantizer... ;)

TheAvatar:

2. About the MP2 Reencoding - yeah - but one needs a Linux machine for that. Plus, I dont necesserily want to stream the files, but change them to a managable size so that people can download them.

In my tries, reencoding MP2s to the level where 1hr takes ~120MB results in horrible results when you compare them to WMV (of course, WMV was designed for that, so not like it's surprising).

If you just need the streaming, I suggest you use that software - EtiVo is more for making a downloadable library and for people who do not have Linux. It would be infinitely more efficient to use the MP2 reencoder rather than my software.

Masnark
05-08-2004, 04:06 AM
Final got it to work!
HAd to uninstall and re-install etivoserver (Had the wrong version)
Take about 10 minutes to transfer a 650MB 30 min file from the Tivo to the PC and A LOT longer to re-encode it. Is there anyway to start re-encoding the stream while ther file is still transfering? That at least would save 10 minutes off of the proceses.
And then there's requantizer... ;)

:)

Glad it's working for you.

Re-encoding taked a very long time. Yeap. Very very long.

TheAvatar
05-08-2004, 09:29 AM
...but requantizer only takes 90 Seconds!

:)

Glad it's working for you.

Re-encoding taked a very long time. Yeap. Very very long.

Masnark
05-08-2004, 02:10 PM
...but requantizer only takes 90 Seconds!

Ok. Lets make a deal.

Lemme finish the current thing I am working on, then I will open up certain hooks in EtiVoSrv that will allow you to write your own encoder. Then you can write something that interfaces with requantizer.

I have enough space on my Web Server, so I can also host it for you once it's done.

Sounds like a deal?

TheAvatar
05-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Cool! Deal!

Ok. Lets make a deal.

Lemme finish the current thing I am working on, then I will open up certain hooks in EtiVoSrv that will allow you to write your own encoder. Then you can write something that interfaces with requantizer.

I have enough space on my Web Server, so I can also host it for you once it's done.

Sounds like a deal?

blaxer
05-08-2004, 03:42 PM
I am getting this error message under failed shows on the status page:

Fetching failed:File retrieved from FTP - size is too small.

Also I do not get the "show name" when I go to the manual queuing page, for example when I FTP I get:

{Futurama}{2000-02-27}{Raging Bender}{07.00 PM Sun May 02, 2004}{TOON}.ty

in the manual queue page I get:

{2000-02-27}{Raging Bender}{07_00 PM Sun May 02, 2004}{No Info}

Here is a snipet from the etivosrv log,

12:57:45 - Info: FtpFetcher: 226 Transfer complete.
12:57:46 - Info: FtpFetcher: TYPE I
12:57:46 - Info: FtpFetcher: 200 Type set to I
12:57:46 - Info: FtpFetcher: Downloading file South Park}{1999-04-21}{Succubus}{05.30 PM Tue May 04, 2004}{COM}.ty from tivo//ty
12:57:46 - Info: FtpFetcher: PASV
12:57:46 - Info: FtpFetcher: 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,109,12,32).
12:57:46 - Info: FtpFetcher: RETR South Park}{1999-04-21}{Succubus}{05.30 PM Tue May 04, 2004}{COM}.ty
12:57:46 - Info: FtpFetcher: 550 error, can't find "South Park}{1999-04-21}{Succubus}{05.30 PM Tue May 04, 2004}{COM}.ty"
12:57:46 - Info: FtpFetcher: Closing connection to tivo
12:57:46 - Info: FtpFetcher: QUIT
12:57:46 - Info: FtpFetcher: 221 Server Closing Control Connection by client request

And when I telnet to etivosrv and type list, I see the souce with no begining { in it

Any ideas? TIA

Masnark
05-08-2004, 04:40 PM
I am getting this error message under failed shows on the status page:

Fetching failed:File retrieved from FTP - size is too small.

Also I do not get the "show name" when I go to the manual queuing page, for example when I FTP I get:

in the manual queue page I get:

{2000-02-27}{Raging Bender}{07_00 PM Sun May 02, 2004}{No Info}

Here is a snipet from the etivosrv log,

12:57:45 - Info: FtpFetcher: 226 Transfer complete.
12:57:46 - Info: FtpFetcher: TYPE I
12:57:46 - Info: FtpFetcher: 200 Type set to I
12:57:46 - Info: FtpFetcher: Downloading file South Park}{1999-04-21}{Succubus}{05.30 PM Tue May 04, 2004}{COM}.ty from tivo//ty
12:57:46 - Info: FtpFetcher: PASV
12:57:46 - Info: FtpFetcher: 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,109,12,32).
12:57:46 - Info: FtpFetcher: RETR South Park}{1999-04-21}{Succubus}{05.30 PM Tue May 04, 2004}{COM}.ty
12:57:46 - Info: FtpFetcher: 550 error, can't find "South Park}{1999-04-21}{Succubus}{05.30 PM Tue May 04, 2004}{COM}.ty"
12:57:46 - Info: FtpFetcher: Closing connection to tivo
12:57:46 - Info: FtpFetcher: QUIT
12:57:46 - Info: FtpFetcher: 221 Server Closing Control Connection by client request

And when I telnet to etivosrv and type list, I see the souce with no begining { in it

Any ideas? TIA

Actually, I just had an idea. It might be that the output of the list command that your MfsFtp is spitting out is different than the one I have.

This is how my MfsFtp spits out the file list:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 000485490688 Apr 20 08:00 { Recording}{Gilmore Girls}{2004-04-20}{Tick, Tick, Tick Boom}{08.00 PM Tue Apr 20, 2004}{KTWB}.ty
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 000557842432 Apr 20 05:30 {The Simpsons}{2001-11-06}{Treehouse of Horror XII}{05.30 PM Tue Apr 20, 2004}{KCPQ}.ty

I have been working under the assumption that all MfsFtps spit out this format of list. Where the name of the show starts at char 56. This appears not to be the case with you (and some other people who emailed me/posted here).

Can you send me the exact format list that MfsFtp spits out for you so that I can compare it and see what adjustments I need to make?

In the worst case, I will just detect where the first "{" is. Maybe that's what I should have done in the first place anyway.

blaxer
05-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Here is the exact name I get from SmartFTP, is that what you want?

And here it is via command line FTP

-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 0486539264 May 02 07:00 {Futurama}{2000-02-27}{Raging Bender}{07.00 PM Sun May 02, 2004}{TOON}.ty

Masnark
05-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Here is the exact name I get from SmartFTP, is that what you want?

And here it is via command line FTP

-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 0486539264 May 02 07:00 {Futurama}{2000-02-27}{Raging Bender}{07.00 PM Sun May 02, 2004}{TOON}.ty

Yes. That's what I was looking for. It seems like there is more than one format for it.

Lemme make a patch that will fix that. I will post it here when I am done.

Edit:

Ok. This guy should solve this problem and also should ignore by default specially named recordings such as:

{Refresh Remote Now Playing items}{2032-05-01}{}{REMOTE_TIVO}
{Delete Remote Now Playing items}{2032-05-01}{}{REMOTE_TIVO}

Tell me if it works ok for you. I did minimal testing to it:

http://prish.com/etivo/downloads/0.01.0501.10/EtiVoServerSetup.msi

blaxer
05-08-2004, 08:44 PM
That worked great for me, thnx!!

brian_r_baker
05-08-2004, 11:41 PM
I've been trying out this version of EtiVo, but the EtiVo service doesn't seem to succesfully download the show from my TiVo. Here is the error as reported by EtiVoWeb:

Fetching failed:Could not download - FTP Error: Got null response from FTP Server

Any ideas? A snippet from the mfs_ftp log is below if that helps...

03:34:57:PM - 220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p - {sock26} from "10.0.10.100:3439"
03:34:57:PM - 331 User name okay, need password.
03:34:57:PM - 230 Running in TiVo Mode.
03:34:57:PM - 250 Directory change successful.
03:34:57:PM - 257 "/ty" is current directory.
03:34:57:PM - 227 Entering Passive Mode (10,0,10,102,12,32).
03:34:57:PM - 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
03:34:59:PM - updating cached recording info

03:35:07:PM - 226 Transfer complete.
03:35:09:PM - 221 Server Closing Control Connection by client request
03:35:09:PM - 502 Command not implemented ""
catch close lastsock val ""
03:38:53:PM - 220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p - {sock26} from "10.0.10.100:3445"
03:38:53:PM - 331 User name okay, need password.
03:38:53:PM - 230 Running in TiVo Mode.
03:38:55:PM - 250 Directory change successful.
03:38:55:PM - 257 "/ty" is current directory.
03:38:55:PM - 227 Entering Passive Mode (10,0,10,102,12,32).
03:38:55:PM - 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
03:38:57:PM - updating cached recording info

03:39:04:PM - 226 Transfer complete.
03:39:06:PM - 200 Type set to I
03:39:06:PM - 227 Entering Passive Mode (10,0,10,102,12,32).
03:39:06:PM - 150 About to open data connection.
08:39:13:PM - sourcing settings
08:39:13:PM - sourcing p1
03:39:21:PM - updating cached recording info

catch close lastsock val "can't read "info(lastsock)": no such element in array"
04:12:42:PM - 226 Transfer complete.
04:12:42:PM - 200 shutting down the server NOW from "ac_intv_bail"

Masnark
05-09-2004, 02:57 AM
I've been trying out this version of EtiVo, but the EtiVo service doesn't seem to succesfully download the show from my TiVo. Here is the error as reported by EtiVoWeb:

Fetching failed:Could not download - FTP Error: Got null response from FTP Server

Any ideas? A snippet from the mfs_ftp log is below if that helps...

03:34:57:PM - 220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p - {sock26} from "10.0.10.100:3439"
03:34:57:PM - 331 User name okay, need password.
[...]
04:12:42:PM - 226 Transfer complete.
04:12:42:PM - 200 shutting down the server NOW from "ac_intv_bail"

I have no idea.

I don't know if this makes any difference, but I am using the Q version rather than the P one and it seems to be working flawlessly about 99% of the time. Maybe you can run the log by rc3105 and see if he can figure out from it what I am doing wrong?

I must be running some illegal command against the MfsFtp or something.

dogo
05-09-2004, 11:00 AM
Hi Masnark,

I'm glad to report i have no problems with your lastest version of your program :D

Just a quick question, can you tell me if it possible to encode the WMA files in a version compatible with Media player 7! note as i watch the files at work, on a machine that i have no admin rights, so i cant install the updated codecs!

cheers

Masnark
05-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Hi Masnark,

I'm glad to report i have no problems with your lastest version of your program :D

Just a quick question, can you tell me if it possible to encode the WMA files in a version compatible with Media player 7! note as i watch the files at work, on a machine that i have no admin rights, so i cant install the updated codecs!

cheers

That's a very good question. Play with Media Encoder - just open the WME that I supply in it and edit it and see if you can encode into different versions.

blaxer
05-09-2004, 02:46 PM
So how do you get the Etivoserver and the Etivoweb to run on different machines? I have tried everything I can think of but it will not work. WME dosen't like UNC's and neither does the web app. I dont' know about you, but I store all my archived tivo shows on networked drives...

Masnark
05-09-2004, 09:20 PM
So how do you get the Etivoserver and the Etivoweb to run on different machines? I have tried everything I can think of but it will not work. WME dosen't like UNC's and neither does the web app. I dont' know about you, but I store all my archived tivo shows on networked drives...

I just checked it. It seems to be working perfectly.

You must be having some security probkems. Make sure of the following:

1. The account under which the service is running has full access to the data share.
2. The account under which the web server is working has read access to the data directory.

If this is the case, and you still cannot make it work, some logs would have been helpful.

blaxer
05-09-2004, 10:16 PM
The web server account, meaning the identity of the applcation pool or the web service login? Do you use a UNC or a mapped drive?

Here is the relevant log entries from the etivosrv machine:

11:26:42 - Info: Queue: Dequeing from Fetching:{Beavis and Butt-head}{1997-05-28}{}{MTV2}
11:26:42 - Info: Queue: Enqueuing on Fetched:{Beavis and Butt-head}{1997-05-28}{}{MTV2}
11:26:42 - Info: Queue: Dequeing from Fetched:{Beavis and Butt-head}{1997-05-28}{}{MTV2}
11:26:42 - Info: Queue: Enqueuing on Encoding:{Beavis and Butt-head}{1997-05-28}{}{MTV2}
11:26:42 - Info: QueueItem: Running encoder on:{Beavis and Butt-head}{1997-05-28}{}{MTV2}
11:26:42 - Info: WM9Encoder: Starting to listen for OutOfProc encoder.
11:26:42 - Info: WM9Encoder: Listen call successful. Waiting for OutOfProc encoder to call.
11:26:42 - Info: WM9Encoder: Calling EtiVo Slave for encoding with commandline:-encoder -p1184
11:26:43 - Info: Session: Session created.
11:26:43 - Info: Session: Session closing down.
11:26:44 - Info: WM9Encoder: Slave encoder contacted us. Building communication stream.
11:26:44 - Info: WM9Encoder: Sending HelloSlave handshake to Slave encoder.
11:26:49 - Info: WM9Encoder: Waiting for slave encoder to exit.
11:26:51 - Error: WM9Encoder: Slave encoder did not exit. Killing it.
11:26:51 - Info: QueueItem: Setting Failure on:{Beavis and Butt-head}{1997-05-28}{}{MTV2}
11:26:51 - Info: Queue: Dequeing from Encoding:{Beavis and Butt-head}{1997-05-28}{}{MTV2}
11:26:51 - Info: Queue: Enqueuing on Completed:{Beavis and Butt-head}{1997-05-28}{}{MTV2}

The failure reason given in the web interface is:

This operation is not allowed while encoding.

Masnark
05-10-2004, 07:33 AM
I tried doing it with a UNC, not with a mapped drive. Which one are you using?

I mean 2 accounts:

1. The account which ASP.NET uses to grab the data. If you are using integrated or basic security, that's the account you are using to connect to the web server.
2. The account under which the service is running.

Can you also send relevant part of the slave encoder log please?

Hi8
05-10-2004, 09:22 AM
Sorry if this has been reported before, I browsed through most of this thread without finding anything on it...

All of my recorded auto-extracted shows only contain half of the recording, an example is Jay Leno's Tonight Show is only 28mins. an 1 /1/2hour movie only 48mins... has anyone else seen this?

(edit) I must add that the entire .ty file is transfered, it just the encoded file that is cut short.

Also I'm new to Media Player Encoder, and WMV files, and my first exposure to it is this application. I'm very happy with the quality of the results, however I'm NOT sure how to adjust the defaults of what seems to have been selected of 320x240 mono - I would like to go UP a level to 640x480 and stereo. Do I just edit the .wme file that is in the EtiVoServer folder? I tried that but it would let me save the files because the files within that file don't exist on my machine... was that just an example or is that file used as a template for all the encoder's settings?

GREAT program...

cmylxgo
05-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Sorry if this has been reported before, I browsed through most of this thread without finding anything on it...

All of my recorded auto-extracted shows only contain half of the recording, an example is Jay Leno's Tonight Show is only 28mins. an 1 /1/2hour movie only 48mins... has anyone else seen this?

(edit) I must add that the entire .ty file is transfered, it just the encoded file that is cut short.

Also I'm new to Media Player Encoder, and WMV files, and my first exposure to it is this application. I'm very happy with the quality of the results, however I'm NOT sure how to adjust the defaults of what seems to have been selected of 320x240 mono - I would like to go UP a level to 640x480 and stereo. Do I just edit the .wme file that is in the EtiVoServer folder? I tried that but it would let me save the files because the files within that file don't exist on my machine... was that just an example or is that file used as a template for all the encoder's settings?

GREAT program...

I had this same problem. Try watching the extracted .ty file while it is encoding. It most likely is only 28min long even though the file size is correct. This is a problem with mfs ftp. I had to play with different series2 bins to get mine to work. As of right now I can only download via mfs ftp.

What version of mfs ftp are you running?

Masnark
05-10-2004, 12:04 PM

You can either create a new one, or you can edit the existing one.

If you create a new one, do remember that 2-pass encoding does not work.

To edit the existing one, simply open it in WMEncoder - it will complain that the files do not exist, but it should still open the file. When it's time to save the file, make sure that you have a valid file for source. It doesn't really matter what file it is - it just needs to be valid.

Hi8
05-10-2004, 12:20 PM
I had this same problem. Try watching the extracted .ty file while it is encoding. It most likely is only 28min long even though the file size is correct. This is a problem with mfs ftp. I had to play with different series2 bins to get mine to work. As of right now I can only download via mfs ftp.

1.2.9p I think thats the version... It's what ever sanderson required for his application.

as far as editting the .wme I will give that a try, I didn't think to select one of my files -- duh...

another question, is there a way to prevent the original .ty file from being deleted after encoding? I would like to mux and burn to DVD-R from time to time, and this will be a great way to save me the trouble of extracting manually.

Masnark
05-10-2004, 01:14 PM
another question, is there a way to prevent the original .ty file from being deleted after encoding? I would like to mux and burn to DVD-R from time to time, and this will be a great way to save me the trouble of extracting manually.

Not right now.

I added it as a feature request.

erhan
05-10-2004, 01:36 PM

It's because of a "broken" mfs_stream. If the combine ty file becomes larger than 512MB you only see the first 512M. IIRC, ronnythunder had compiled and posted a different mfs_stream binary that worked.

Hi8
05-10-2004, 06:15 PM
It's because of a "broken" mfs_stream. If the combine ty file becomes larger than 512MB you only see the first 512M. IIRC, ronnythunder had compiled and posted a different mfs_stream binary that worked.

I've tried searching for that , without success. the file I have I believe is part of the S2 mfs_ftp.tar

-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 632092 Dec 17 23:00 mfs_stream

is there another one released outside that?

I searched for mfs_stream & ronnythunder and nothing...

erhan
05-10-2004, 06:46 PM
Yes, that one is the one with the problem. I was going to post the binary I had, but evidently my Tivo decided to build /var last night :mad: so I lost my mfs_ftp directory.

Use the one in this post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=115129&postcount=34)

blaxer
05-11-2004, 02:42 AM
I've now got it working on another machine using UNC's but it still dosen't work on the "original" machine. Kinda strange but hey, it's working so I am happy :)

Masnark
05-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Hey,

I have a new version coming out, but I want 2 more people to test it out before I put it on the site.

If anyone is interested, please send me an email to s h a h a r @ p r i s h . c o m (remove the spaces. :))

The new version supports email notifications, usage fixes for the web version (sorting etc) and other misc stuff.

desh
05-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Would it be possible to have EtiVo's Available Shows page display links for both the .ty files and the converted .wmv's? I'm unable to get the OutOfProcEncoder to work (even if I set the EtiVo service to be run by the machine's administrator) and the WM9Encoder is painfully slow! So slow in fact that I think it bails while encoding at times. If I could have links to just the .ty files I could at least reliably watch on my local network.

Masnark
05-12-2004, 09:28 PM
Would it be possible to have EtiVo's Available Shows page display links for both the .ty files and the converted .wmv's? I'm unable to get the OutOfProcEncoder to work (even if I set the EtiVo service to be run by the machine's administrator) and the WM9Encoder is painfully slow! So slow in fact that I think it bails while encoding at times. If I could have links to just the .ty files I could at least reliably watch on my local network.

WM9Encoder / OutOfProc encoder are one and the same. The only difference is that OutOfProcEncoder runs in a different process and allows your system to be more responsive. What version are you using by the way? OutOfProc encoder should be working well. Can you send snippets from both the EtiVo and the Slave Encoder logs in your program files\etivoserver directory please?

As for the other question... One of the feature requests was to have a setting leave TYs in the directory. Once that's done, you should be able to use the NULL encoder to get the effect you requested. I will not be supporting that in the web-server though for now. Only WMVs there for the mean time.

tards
05-14-2004, 06:42 AM
This is a very nice, very useful, ver well-thought out program! Worked perfect the first try for me EXCEPT the "available shows" link is blank. The encoded shows are in the data dir, but nothing shows up in the web server screen?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Masnark
05-14-2004, 12:41 PM
This is a very nice, very useful, ver well-thought out program! Worked perfect the first try for me EXCEPT the "available shows" link is blank. The encoded shows are in the data dir, but nothing shows up in the web server screen?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Glad you are finding it useful.

1. Did you make sure that your web.config points to the correct directory?
2. Did you make sure that your EtiVoWeb has access to the directory?

needo
05-14-2004, 02:33 PM
Is it possible to re-encode WM9 to MPEG2?

And what are the pros and cons of such?

Thanks!

Masnark
05-14-2004, 03:18 PM
Is it possible to re-encode WM9 to MPEG2?

And what are the pros and cons of such?

Thanks!

Is this a general question? Or do you want a TiVo file that was encoded into WMV to be encoded into MP2?

If so, why would you? The original can be turned into MP2 with much better results than WM9.

In any case, if you have a MP2 encoder, you should be able to do it.

needo
05-14-2004, 03:26 PM
Is this a general question? Or do you want a TiVo file that was encoded into WMV to be encoded into MP2?

If so, why would you? The original can be turned into MP2 with much better results than WM9.

In any case, if you have a MP2 encoder, you should be able to do it.

Kind of a general question. I was wondering about the quality in doing so. I haven't tested this out yet, so just doing homework.

tards
05-14-2004, 07:55 PM

1. Did you make sure that your web.config points to the correct directory?
2. Did you make sure that your EtiVoWeb has access to the directory?

I was confusing the 2 config files (one in localhost and one in programs). Now I am able to see the list of encoded programs. However, when I click the "download" link, I get "page not found" error.

Thanks for your help and for one of the most USEFUL tivo hacks I've found. I let etivo run on my media server in auto mode 24/7 so I always have a "copy" of everything my Tivo has recorded. I can copy these over to my laptop for travel, thumbdrive for transport, or on a CD/DVD in MASS!! When I need a perfect copy, I go another route. But for routine shows, this is a perfect solution!!

Masnark
05-14-2004, 08:08 PM
I was confusing the 2 config files (one in localhost and one in programs). Now I am able to see the list of encoded programs. However, when I click the "download" link, I get "page not found" error.

You have to set up, in the web.config, the URL location of your movies. And you need to open that up.

So..

If your movies are on c:\data, you need to define a virtual directory called, say, Movies which will point to c:\data. Then you need to configute web.config to point to /movies/ for the url.

Post your web.config and I will point you to the correct key that you need to set.

osetivo
05-15-2004, 02:31 AM
All went well with the EtiVo server installation, did a couple of manual encodings.

Ran into trouble with the EtiVoWeb/IIS stuff. Initially I was getting the text version of one of the "aspx" files. Now http://localhost/EtiVoWeb gives me a "Page not found" web error.

Data folder is at "e:\media\videos\EtiVo" in both the web.conf and the EtiVoserver.conf files (Telnet into server gives me listing of 2 "ready" files)
I created the alias "movies" pointing to "e:\media\videos\EtiVo" so I left the conf files as default /movies/
I tried the .NET/ASP fixes

suggestions.

TIA

Masnark
05-15-2004, 03:28 AM
All went well with the EtiVo server installation, did a couple of manual encodings.

Ran into trouble with the EtiVoWeb/IIS stuff. Initially I was getting the text version of one of the "aspx" files. Now http://localhost/EtiVoWeb gives me a "Page not found" web error.

suggestions.

TIA

Hrrm...

Sounds like a security problem to me. I dont know what to tell you, except that you try playing with the security a bit. Try doing integrated security etc. Check out to see if the settings in IIS console makes sense.

I havent run into that problem yet.

tweaky
05-15-2004, 03:47 PM
Somehow this thread slipped by me. What a great idea. I can now stream media files while I am out on the road (If I can get it to work).

I am running XP, w/ all the required programs installed. The service shows up in the services control panel, but when I run EtiVoServer.exe, I get a "Windows Services Start Failure: Cannot start service from the command line or a debugger. A Windows Service must first be installed ...." after about 20 seconds when I start the service manually. If the service is not running, I get the error right away. If I run it from the command prompt with the -c option, it appears the program hangs as the command prompt does not show up.

Now I am sitting in the Minneapolis Airport using remote desktop connection, and that may have something to do with it.

Masnark
05-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Somehow this thread slipped by me. What a great idea. I can now stream media files while I am out on the road (If I can get it to work).

I am running XP, w/ all the required programs installed. The service shows up in the services control panel, but when I run EtiVoServer.exe, I get a "Windows Services Start Failure: Cannot start service from the command line or a debugger. A Windows Service must first be installed ...." after about 20 seconds when I start the service manually. If the service is not running, I get the error right away. If I run it from the command prompt with the -c option, it appears the program hangs as the command prompt does not show up.

Now I am sitting in the Minneapolis Airport using remote desktop connection, and that may have something to do with it.

Nope. It should be working.

Does a log even get created when you use the -c option? If so, what does it say?

burriko
05-15-2004, 07:26 PM
Edit: ignore this next paragraph, it's actually mfs-ftp that's reporting the wrong file size and confusing etivo, i'll try updating to the latest version of mfs-ftp.

I've just started using etivo about an hour or so ago, and have noticed something strange when handling ty streams larger than 2GB. The percentage fetched reached 100% when etivo had fetched 2GB of the ty stream and then changed to N/A on the status page, even though the ty stream is a lot larger than 2GB and is still in the process of being fetched by etivo now. The first thing that comes to my mind is that you may be using a signed 32-bit int to store the file size of the ty stream?

Plus, any chance of making the EtiVoStatus.aspx page compatible with mozilla/firefox? at the moment the percentage bar doesn't show correctly.

Thanks a lot, etivo really does seem like a great tool. Not sure i actually have a use for it but it's still fun to play with. :D

tweaky
05-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Nope. It should be working.

Does a log even get created when you use the -c option? If so, what does it say?

Nope, no log file.. Things that make you go hmmmm :)

Masnark
05-15-2004, 09:20 PM
Nope, no log file.. Things that make you go hmmmm :)

Your Config File makes me think that you should have a log file. It should be in:

c:\program files\etivoserver and it's name should be Etivo.log I think.

Check again please.

burriko:
I just made sure that it's indeed a long (64bit value). But in any case - even if it was not - you should have seen an error in the log saying something about parsing the value.

osetivo
05-16-2004, 02:15 AM
Everything working now. Just took a clean re-install of WinXP :eek:

Now the requests, er, I mean thoughts :D

My laymans understanding of WME is that you have basically 2 types of WME inputs, live feed (capture card, web cam, etc) or an existing media file (mpeg), and 2 types of WME outputs, a live streaming broadcast or a converted file.

It seems that Etivo uses the Local File/conversion combination, whereby EtiVo passes the local TY file (downloaded to PC via mfs_ftp) to WME which then compresses the file.

Is there a way (.wme file setting) to tell WME to broadcast the TY, rather than convert it to a file?

Also, I also have approx. 400GB of local TY files on my PC. It would be nice to have the Manual Que be able to pull from the local TY files, as well.

thanks again for the great application and the help.

Masnark
05-16-2004, 05:07 AM
Is there a way (.wme file setting) to tell WME to broadcast the TY, rather than convert it to a file?

Also, I also have approx. 400GB of local TY files on my PC. It would be nice to have the Manual Que be able to pull from the local TY files, as well.

thanks again for the great application and the help.

As for your demands.. Err... Thoughts. ;)

Well..

RE: Broadcast
EtiVo just doesnt fit this profile imho. However.. I can see how it could be made to fit, but it would be like putting a square peg through a round hole - doable, but messy. I have been thinking of making a Poor Man's version of Windows Media Server that will use encoder to broadcast media, but it's just an idea still.

RE: Queuing TY files manually
Interesting idea. I will think about it. Do you know if a TY file contains the XML data within it?

gamejester
05-16-2004, 05:14 AM
First off let me say what a great program this is. I don't usually post, choosing instead to figure things out on my own but this is stumping me.

I got everything installed and working a few days ago, but now it will not show me a list of shows on the Manual Queuing page, I have already extracted and encoded 21 shows with no problems.

I am running both the server and the asp.net app on a windows 2003 server, and using version mfs_ftp[1].1.2.9p.tar.zip.

I can connect to mfs_ftp using IglooFTP PRO (FYI. do not use cute as it will not connect) and view the list of shows in the TY folder.

When I was trying it last night I simply got a series of
01:36:05 - Info: Session: Session created.
01:36:05 - Info: Session: Session closing down.
in the Etivo.log file.

This morning I get:
09:37:49 - Info: Session: Session created.
09:37:49 - Info: FtpFetcher: Opening connection to 10.1.1.5
09:37:54 - Info: FtpFetcher: 220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p - {sock22} from "10.1.1.10:5958"
09:37:54 - Info: FtpFetcher: USER anonymous
09:37:54 - Info: FtpFetcher: 331 User name okay, need password.
09:37:54 - Info: FtpFetcher: PASS anonymous@anonymous.net
09:37:54 - Info: FtpFetcher: 230 Running in TiVo Mode.
09:37:54 - Info: FtpFetcher: Connected to 10.1.1.5
09:37:54 - Info: FtpFetcher: CWD /ty
09:37:54 - Info: FtpFetcher: 250 Directory change successful.
09:37:54 - Info: FtpFetcher: PWD
09:37:54 - Info: FtpFetcher: 257 "/ty" is current directory.
09:37:54 - Info: FtpFetcher: Current directory is /ty
09:37:54 - Info: FtpFetcher: PASV
09:37:54 - Info: FtpFetcher: Closing connection to 10.1.1.5
09:37:54 - Info: FtpFetcher: QUIT
09:37:54 - Info: Session: Session closing down.
09:38:07 - Info: Session: Session created.
09:38:07 - Info: Session: Session closing down.
09:38:10 - Info: Session: Session created.
09:38:10 - Info: Session: Session closing down.

and no shows are seen.

Any ideas?

gamejester
05-16-2004, 05:23 AM
I have just noticed that in the successful connection in the log it issues a list command after a successful PASV call
22:36:40 - Info: FtpFetcher: 227 Entering Passive Mode (10,1,1,5,12,32).
22:36:44 - Info: FtpFetcher: LIST -aL
I am guessing that mfs_ftp is dumping out at the PASV request, but is working OK from IGLO in none PASV mode, will try it in PASV mode and see what happens. This is not the case, I have just tested with IGLO using PASV and connect ok

Question: Why are you using PASV when you connect, will people need to use this via a layer of nat? I am guessing not, so it would be more stable to connect normal FTP connection as I believe this is the recommended method for mfs_ftp?

Question2: How do I stop and restart mfs_ftp on Tivo via Telent?

tweaky
05-16-2004, 08:05 AM
Your Config File makes me think that you should have a log file. It should be in:

c:\program files\etivoserver and it's name should be Etivo.log I think.

Check again please.

Nope, no log file. I am using the default config file except the file path. I am using my Hosts file and have the word "Tivo" mapped to that IP.

I am going to try a different pc real quick.. I'll report back.

burriko
05-16-2004, 08:05 AM
burriko:
I just made sure that it's indeed a long (64bit value). But in any case - even if it was not - you should have seen an error in the log saying something about parsing the value.

thanks, it was mfs-ftp causing it, upgrading to the latest version of it has fixed the problem.

tweaky
05-16-2004, 08:07 AM
As for your demands.. Err... Thoughts. ;)
Interesting idea. I will think about it. Do you know if a TY file contains the XML data within it?

Ty files from Jdiner's TyTool does not contain the xml info that a TMF or T+ file normally has. There was a discussion about TyTool being able to support those files, but I don't know what the exact status is..
hth

tivomaster
05-16-2004, 08:41 AM
Ty files from Jdiner's TyTool does not contain the xml info that a TMF or T+ file normally has. There was a discussion about TyTool being able to support those files, but I don't know what the exact status is..
hth

Yea, straight ty files do not contain xml info.
However, With the right interface the web client could prompt for the missing/important info such as show name etc. While this would not be as good a solution as having it get the info directly from the show it would allow for processing.

gamejester
05-16-2004, 09:00 AM
My available shows to download page has now started populating again!
Weird, I did nothing on Tivo or the win2003 server to resolve the issue, it just started working again, I now see a PASV conntection in the log and the list command issued.

osetivo
05-16-2004, 09:25 AM
If the TY or TY+ was downloaded with any recent version MFS_FTP, it has the XML at the end of the file. (I forget the first version that included the xml, but it's been a while.)

This fits in my semi-on-demand way of thinking. I tested a 1 hour TY file which took approx 10 minutes to download and then the encoding was just a bit longer than 1 hour, so it's almost a 1:1 for me. I've got a faster machine that would probably get it under 1:1. As you mentioned WME doesn't lock the file, but I've yet to test playing the WMV while it's still being encoded.

I have been thinking of making a Poor Man's version of Windows Media Server that will use encoder to broadcast media, but it's just an idea still.Ah, glad to see your thinking about it.

Thanks

tivomaster
05-16-2004, 09:42 AM
If the TY or TY+ was downloaded with any recent version MFS_FTP, it has the XML at the end of the file. (I forget the first version that included the xml, but it's been a while.)

Do you know if ty's downloaded with the latest versio of tytool have the xml also?

osetivo
05-16-2004, 10:00 AM
Do you know if ty's downloaded with the latest versio of tytool have the xml also?

I don't think, but I haven't been keeping a close eye on TyTools.

gamejester
05-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Still having intermitant problems performing list from eTivo and downloading shows, fails to fetch.

Can someone tell on Tivo how to:
1. See what processes are running
2. kill msf_ftp so I can restart it (wihout a reboot)

tweaky
05-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Anything downloaded using Jdiner's TyTool DOES NOT contain any xml information (as of version 9r14).

gamejester
05-16-2004, 04:06 PM
I have now encoded more than 30 shows using ETivoWeb, GREAT.
...but, occasionally it has failed for whatever reason, be it a reboot mid encode or whatever. So i end up with 30 mins of a 1 hour show in .wme format and the ty file deleted with no way to re-que the file to download again from Tivo.

Anyone know where ETivoWeb stores its que information?
I want to edit the list of shows EtivoWeb is aware that it has downloaded so that I can re-download the shows that have failed.

tweaky
05-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Still having intermitant problems performing list from eTivo and downloading shows, fails to fetch.

Can someone tell on Tivo how to:
1. See what processes are running
2. kill msf_ftp so I can restart it (wihout a reboot)

1. "ps -ax" -> will list all processes
2. Per the mfs_ftp instructions, telnet to your tivo on port 3105 and type exit.

tweaky
05-16-2004, 07:23 PM
I've tried 2 different machines, and I have the same problem w/ the program not starting and not leaving a log file behind. I have tried the all versions also. I have the newest version of .net installed so I can't think of what would be preventing the application from running..
The service shows up in the services menu, and I can start it there and with the "net start etivoserver", so I don't know why it is complaining that it can't start if from the command line?

Any ideas? Maybe if you could compile a version for me that doesn't attempt to start the service, I can start it manually and see what happens?

Masnark
05-16-2004, 08:55 PM
...but, occasionally it has failed for whatever reason, be it a reboot mid encode or whatever. So i end up with 30 mins of a 1 hour show in .wme format and the ty file deleted with no way to re-que the file to download again from Tivo.

Anyone know where ETivoWeb stores its que information?
I want to edit the list of shows EtivoWeb is aware that it has downloaded so that I can re-download the shows that have failed.

I know, I know!! ;) EtiVo simply looks at your directories. Just delete the directory with the 1/2 WMV in it, and it should work. Though I dont understand how that can happen. EtiVo is supposed to delete the TY file only if it thinks the encoding was successful.

I've tried 2 different machines, and I have the same problem w/ the program not starting and not leaving a log file behind. I have tried the all versions also. I have the newest version of .net installed so I can't think of what would be preventing the application from running..
The service shows up in the services menu, and I can start it there and with the "net start etivoserver", so I don't know why it is complaining that it can't start if from the command line?

Any ideas? Maybe if you could compile a version for me that doesn't attempt to start the service, I can start it manually and see what happens?

When you start it manually (-c) it does not start the service. It runs in console mode.

Just to clarify some things..
1. What happens when you try to run from the cmd line with -c? How does it fail?
2. Does it leave a log when you try to run it as a service?
3. Can you make sure you have write permissions to the Program Files directory?

tweaky
05-17-2004, 10:26 AM
When you start it manually (-c) it does not start the service. It runs in console mode.

Just to clarify some things..
1. What happens when you try to run from the cmd line with -c? How does it fail?
2. Does it leave a log when you try to run it as a service?
3. Can you make sure you have write permissions to the Program Files directory?

1. Service not running (verified thru the services control panel & net start).. Attempting to run thru the console & watching the services control panel, nothing happens. It appears the program just hangs. No cursor, no nothing. Hitting ctrl-C brings back the command prompt.

2. No log file is ever created. Neither console or thru the .exe

3. I definetely have write permissions..

Like I said before, the "net start etivoserver" will work from the command line, just not thru the console or the .exe.

<edit> I just re-read your post & now understand that the console won't start the service... <sorry>

Masnark
05-17-2004, 12:16 PM
1. Service not running (verified thru the services control panel & net start).. Attempting to run thru the console & watching the services control panel, nothing happens. It appears the program just hangs. No cursor, no nothing. Hitting ctrl-C brings back the command prompt.

2. No log file is ever created. Neither console or thru the .exe

3. I definetely have write permissions..

Like I said before, the "net start etivoserver" will work from the command line, just not thru the console or the .exe.

<edit> I just re-read your post & now understand that the console won't start the service... <sorry>

Ok..

I will try and make you a version that logs directly to the screen when it boots up. You will have to run it with -c and see what's going on there and why it freezes.

osetivo
05-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Feature Suggestion (stolen from Riley)

A filter/setting that would Auto EtiVo to Automatically download only those shows that have a certain "thumbs up" rating.

Masnark
05-18-2004, 12:51 PM
Feature Suggestion (stolen from Riley)

A filter/setting that would Auto EtiVo to Automatically download only those shows that have a certain "thumbs up" rating.

Well...

The next version already has both an "includeList" and an "excludeList" feature - these will let you add strings that will either force a file out of the list or into the list (so autotivo will not be able to archive it).

It does mean that *all* shows are filtered. You will not be able to EtiVo any show that does not fit the includeList/excludeList filter.

Do you think there is need for an autotivo-only include/exclude list?

osetivo
05-18-2004, 02:14 PM
Well...

The next version already has both an "includeList" and an "excludeList" feature - these will let you add strings that will either force a file out of the list or into the list (so autotivo will not be able to archive it).

It does mean that *all* shows are filtered. You will not be able to EtiVo any show that does not fit the includeList/excludeList filter.

Do you think there is need for an autotivo-only include/exclude list?

Yes, there is definitely a need for something to keep everything from being encoded. I'm specifically thinking of the shows my wife and kids record. Would "excluded" shows still show up in the Manual Que list?

The Thumbs Up list is more flexible and certainly more user friendly that editing a config file. I'll ask over in the mfs_ftp thread if it gives you access to the Thumbs Up rating.

DOWN THE ROAD:

I want to voice my support for making the WMV encoding as well as TY deletion optional. I like to keep my TYs for archival/reinsertion as well as LAN streaming. Maybe the "shows" page could have separate links to "HIGH" "LOW" media files, ie TY and WMV.

Masnark
05-18-2004, 06:30 PM
Yes, there is definitely a need for something to keep everything from being encoded. I'm specifically thinking of the shows my wife and kids record. Would "excluded" shows still show up in the Manual Que list?

The Thumbs Up list is more flexible and certainly more user friendly that editing a config file. I'll ask over in the mfs_ftp thread if it gives you access to the Thumbs Up rating.

DOWN THE ROAD:

I want to voice my support for making the WMV encoding as well as TY deletion optional. I like to keep my TYs for archival/reinsertion as well as LAN streaming. Maybe the "shows" page could have separate links to "HIGH" "LOW" media files, ie TY and WMV.

RE: Excluded shows
As it's coded today, no. They will not show up. I can add an auto-tivo specific filter later on.

RE: TY Deletion optional
That's already coded into the next version. Though the web interface will not show it.

osetivo
05-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Riley:

Does mfs_ftp have access to the Thumbs Up rating for a particular show? Assuming it doesn't, can it be added?

TIA

currently? no - added? sure

take a look at the source for any of the tivoweb modules that access thumbs data

edit: ah, I see what you're thinking from the discussion in the etivo thread. how's something like this sound, new virtual directories populated based on thumbs data?

/tmf
/ty
/txt
/thumbs/up_one
/thumbs/up_two
/thumbs/up_three
/thumbs/neutral
/thumbs/down_one
/thumbs/down_two
/thumbs/down_three

(actually, a more general purpose filter might be usefull. custom folders, etc. hrm...)

EtiVo could have a different option for each setting, Exclude, Download only, and/or Download & Encode.

Completely OT, IMO "eTiVo" looks better than "EtiVo".:)

Masnark
05-18-2004, 11:11 PM
EtiVo could have a different option for each setting, Exclude, Download only, and/or Download & Encode.

Completely OT, IMO "eTiVo" looks better than "EtiVo".:)

Once that option is up, I will see how I can work with it to give that functionality. Sounds interesting.

As for eTiVo or EtiVo.. EtiVo was originally written for my sister, Eti. She lives overseas, and I wanted her to have the ability of downloading TV shows from here. Thus the name is EtiVo. :D

osetivo
05-19-2004, 12:28 AM
Once that option is up, I will see how I can work with it to give that functionality. Sounds interesting.

As for eTiVo or EtiVo.. EtiVo was originally written for my sister, Eti. She lives overseas, and I wanted her to have the ability of downloading TV shows from here. Thus the name is EtiVo. :D

Ah that's cool.

dogo
05-20-2004, 11:40 AM
Hi Strange this one!

If I encode a episode of a show this works fine, but when I try to encode a film it always failed, I have tried using the old version, as well as the new beta version and both fail! I donít know where the problem is? As it will encode all my favourite TV shows and never fail any ideas?

dogo

Masnark
05-20-2004, 11:52 AM
Hi Strange this one!

If I encode a episode of a show this works fine, but when I try to encode a film it always failed, I have tried using the old version, as well as the new beta version and both fail! I donít know where the problem is? As it will encode all my favourite TV shows and never fail any ideas?

dogo

Download the TY file by using MFSFTP and some client. Then try playing it.

Some people experience problems with TY files being truncated to only 30 min or so. I am not sure what the problem is, but it's discussed in this thread.

gamejester
05-20-2004, 12:13 PM
Manual Queueing problem:
Sometimes will not connect, this follows some sort of mfs_ftp hick-up.

Example:
Today I tried to use eTivoWeb to que some shows, but the screen was blank.
Log showed:
opening connection to 10.x.x.x
closing connection to 10.x.x.x
I realised this was because mfs_ftp was not running following a power cut so I started it.
now log shows Session created, followed by session closing down.
Still nothing displayed in EtivoWeb

I have tried re-starting the Etivo website + WWW service.

None of these helped, still nothing in Manual Queuing.

Any ideas??????
this is happening a lot.

gamejester
05-20-2004, 12:38 PM
I have now restarted the Etivo service and log shows:

--------------------------------------------
-- Log started: 20/05/2004 17:03:56
--------------------------------------------
17:03:56 - info: QueueItem: setting success on: {Alias}..........
17:03:56 - info: Queue: Enqueuing on Ready: {Alias}..........
etc..................

but now when using eTvio web I get an asp.net error

Object not set to an instance of an object
Stack trace ends on
system.web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +731

Not sure what could have caused this problem as no configs have changed, re-started www service but still the same.

Do you want any more debug info?
I work in QA and testing within the vs.net arena so can assist with bug tracing if you provide me with some more info (currently running several other asp.net apps on the same server)

gamejester
05-20-2004, 12:56 PM
FAULT:
Ok have tracked down the problem and resolution:

If you manually remove a directory from your Data folder for a show that has failed to encode correctly (you now the 30 min problem) then when you restart Etivo service and www service you get the:
Object not set to an instance of an object error:

Copy the removed dir back, Stop WWW service, restart Etivo service then start WWW service and all is well again.

So the 3 faults I need to log are:
1. Manual removal of an encoded show directory causes an 'Object not set to an instance of an object' asp.net error.
3. There is no way to re-queue a failed show for re-extraction and encoding.
3. Etivo service either gets locked, or is caching for a period of time status/response from mfs_ftp, so when you get a failed communicaiton Etivo will not act upon hte changed state once the comm problem is rectified, thus requiring a restart of the service.

Masnark
05-20-2004, 02:35 PM
FAULT:
Ok have tracked down the problem and resolution:

If you manually remove a directory from your Data folder for a show that has failed to encode correctly (you now the 30 min problem) then when you restart Etivo service and www service you get the:
Object not set to an instance of an object error:

Copy the removed dir back, Stop WWW service, restart Etivo service then start WWW service and all is well again.

So the 3 faults I need to log are:
1. Manual removal of an encoded show directory causes an 'Object not set to an instance of an object' asp.net error.
3. There is no way to re-queue a failed show for re-extraction and encoding.
3. Etivo service either gets locked, or is caching for a period of time status/response from mfs_ftp, so when you get a failed communicaiton Etivo will not act upon hte changed state once the comm problem is rectified, thus requiring a restart of the service.

Ok. So this is how it works:

EtiVo starts up, it looks at the directory -- nothing else -- and goes over all the shows there and sees what it can understand about the current state of the system. If a directory does not exist there, it has no way of knowing the show has been recorded. Are you sure that you removed the whole directory and not only files from it?

If you can, remove a whole directory and see how EtiVo behaves - also, please send me the log for that run if EtiVo does not behave correctly.

Thanks.

Masnark
05-20-2004, 08:47 PM
This one has a lot of new things - most importantly Email Notifications and a Grouped view of your recorded shows.

See the initial post on this thread for more information.

osetivo
05-20-2004, 09:40 PM
Instructions, I had to uninstall the previous version, install, and restart EtiVo server service. I think you also need to delete the existing config files, otherwise the new ones don't install

I like the Grouping for the encoded shows, is it possible to do the same for the shows on the TiVo?

Masnark
05-20-2004, 10:03 PM
Instructions, I had to uninstall the previous version, install, and restart EtiVo server service. I think you also need to delete the existing config files, otherwise the new ones don't install

I like the Grouping for the encoded shows, is it possible to do the same for the shows on the TiVo?

Did it require you to uninstall the prev version? It's not supposed to do that.

You can also retain your old settings - and add the new ones manually - they are illustrated in the web-site.

What do you mean for the shows on the TiVo exactly?

osetivo
05-20-2004, 10:15 PM
Yes, the initial installation failed because of the previous install. Although now that I think about it, the service was "probably" running. DOH!

Group the "Now showing" files on the "Manual Que" page. Again I manually select the files instead of turning the Autotivo feature on.

As far as the configs, it was easier to delete them and have the new install put the new ones. The only change I have is the data directory.

Masnark
05-20-2004, 10:17 PM
Yes, the initial installation failed because of the previous install. Although now that I think about it, the service was "probably" running. DOH!

Group the "Now showing" files on the "Manual Que" page. Again I manually select the files instead of turning the Autotivo feature on.

Ok. Gotcha now. Thought you meant the actual TiVo machine, so I didnt understand what it was you were asking.

Yeah. I will add that as a feature request, though it's currently low priority.

hdvr_too
05-21-2004, 07:58 AM
Masnark-
I love this solution! Props to you for your hard work. I am trying to figure out how to add remove recordings from the que though. I have recently encoded some recordings with your WME file and realized the bitrate is too high for my cable I-net. How can I remove them from Encoded Shows and re-que them with my new WME settings?
I also have many recordings already stored on my HDD but moving them to the web folder doesn't make the showup on the webpage. Is there a manual way to do these things? I tried to find a source file that the web page uses to load the recordings but couldn't follow the code...

hdvr_too
05-21-2004, 09:44 AM
Hey there...I recently got this running after juming through some hoops. One of the things I did was update to the latest MFS_FTP with s2dtivo files. When I did this it was great for the Etivo but bad for TivoWeb. My NOWSHOWING is now broke. Not sure what to do. How can it work with one and not the other?Any ideas?

sanderton
05-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Hey there...I recently got this running after juming through some hoops. One of the things I did was update to the latest MFS_FTP with s2dtivo files. When I did this it was great for the Etivo but bad for TivoWeb. My NOWSHOWING is now broke. Not sure what to do. How can it work with one and not the other?Any ideas?

TW and mfs_ftp do not have any files in common; whatever your problem with TW is, it's not the files.

Masnark
05-21-2004, 12:25 PM
Masnark-
I love this solution! Props to you for your hard work. I am trying to figure out how to add remove recordings from the que though. I have recently encoded some recordings with your WME file and realized the bitrate is too high for my cable I-net. How can I remove them from Encoded Shows and re-que them with my new WME settings?
I also have many recordings already stored on my HDD but moving them to the web folder doesn't make the showup on the webpage. Is there a manual way to do these things? I tried to find a source file that the web page uses to load the recordings but couldn't follow the code...

Just making sure I understand, you have TY files you already downloaded, and you want to have EtiVo Re-encode these files, correct?

If so, it currently cannot do it. But it seems like I am hearing this request a lot. I will look into it and see what I can do to help there.

As for removing from the encoded shows and re-queuing them, you simply have to remove the directory from the data folder, restart EtiVo and it will go through the whole process again.

Masnark
05-21-2004, 04:38 PM
I just browsed through my site's logs, and it dawned on me that if someone is using the link at the top of EtiVoWeb to reach my site, I can see the address+port they are using as the referrer of the page.

If you are using EtiVoWeb in your internal network, that's not a big deal, but if you are using it over the internet, just know that I am getting log entries on that in my web-site.

Not like I am going to do anything about it, just a warning. I hate it when my private info gets inadvertantly sent over the net.

hdvr_too
05-22-2004, 12:30 PM
TW and mfs_ftp do not have any files in common; whatever your problem with TW is, it's not the files.

Thanks, a simple reload fixed my problems.

hdvr_too
05-22-2004, 12:35 PM

Just making sure I understand, you have TY files you already downloaded, and you want to have EtiVo Re-encode these files, correct?

If so, it currently cannot do it. But it seems like I am hearing this request a lot. I will look into it and see what I can do to help there.

As for removing from the encoded shows and re-queuing them, you simply have to remove the directory from the data folder, restart EtiVo and it will go through the whole process again.

You answered one of my questions. I was able to delete the file that were alreay encoded and get them to re-que fine so I could re-encode with my new settings. Thanks for the info.
The other half is that I have been encoding to WMV for quite some time now and have a bunch of shows I would like to add to the avail shows on tivo web without going through the etivo service. Can I manualy add shows to the Encoded Show list if they are already in WMV format?

hdvr_too
05-22-2004, 12:45 PM
I just noticed that every one of my recordings that has been encoded by etivo has cut the show sort. They are all 35-40 min when they should be 1 hour. Any ideas?

sanderton
05-22-2004, 02:17 PM
Are you sure that the complete show is mfs_ftping over? Sounds a lot like they symptoms of a duff binary on an S2.

Masnark
05-22-2004, 03:21 PM
I just noticed that every one of my recordings that has been encoded by etivo has cut the show sort. They are all 35-40 min when they should be 1 hour. Any ideas?

Other people have had the same symptoms. It seems like the TYs downloaded from MfsFtp are incorrect in the size they report, or something similar.

Look back in the thread, I remember atleast 3 people having that problem.

Edit: Oh, as for your other question.

Well.... If you can mimick the way EtiVo holds the directory structure, you should be able to do it.

1. Each directory/WMV is prefixed named just like the MfsFtp name, only w/o the recording date - so {24}{2004-04-18}{Day 3 600AM - 700AM}{KCPQ}
2. Each directory has the extension of show - so {24}{2004-04-18}{Day 3 600AM - 700AM}{KCPQ}.show
3. Each WMV inside the directory has a postfix of an underscore followed by the name of the encoder file - you dont really need this for now, but I suggest you add it - i.e. {24}{2004-04-18}{Day 3 600AM - 700AM}{KCPQ}_wmelow.wmv
4. You need a ShowInfo.XML in that directory, or you will get not-so-nice results in EtiVoWeb.

blaxer
05-22-2004, 04:14 PM
Love the new version, it works great, thanks for a great proggie. A little suggestion, it would be cool if etivo could delete the recording off of the Tivo when it is done encoding, that way it would save space all around...

Masnark
05-22-2004, 05:30 PM
Love the new version, it works great, thanks for a great proggie. A little suggestion, it would be cool if etivo could delete the recording off of the Tivo when it is done encoding, that way it would save space all around...

Hmm..

I am kind'a reluctant to do that. What if the encoding didnt work well? Didn't happen to me yet, but happened to a few people.

I will think about it though.

hdvr_too
05-22-2004, 11:46 PM
Other people have had the same symptoms. It seems like the TYs downloaded from MfsFtp are incorrect in the size they report, or something similar.

Look back in the thread, I remember atleast 3 people having that problem.

Thanks again. I want you to know that you have offered more help on this project than many others who choose to release stuff and not care weather. It works for people who use it.

P.S.- I was not able to use the mfstream that was linked to earlier in this thread either. I had to use one that I had saved for some reason. I don't know where I got it but it works with my s2 DTIVO.
If someone wants it I would be happy to post.

hdvr_too
05-22-2004, 11:48 PM
Well.... If you can mimick the way EtiVo holds the directory structure, you should be able to do it.

This advice worked beautifully. Thanks again.

Masnark
05-23-2004, 01:43 AM
Thanks again. I want you to know that you have offered more help on this project than many others who choose to release stuff and not care weather. It works for people who use it.

You have to understand that some of these people have, in reality, 1000s of users. And I bet they are getting a huge amount of emails and PMs. Some of them have been doing this stuff for over 2 years - it can get to anyone. :)

Lucky me, my project only adresses a very small niche of people. Not that many support requests. ;)

gobsmack
05-23-2004, 02:57 PM
This long-time tivo futzer was blown away with mfs_ftp, shell-shocked by tytool, and now has run out of descriptors for etiVo -- it is simply tremendous!!

I'm on the road all the time, so the autotivo function is just fantastic, as streaming is easy and I can always ftp the encoded files to batch 'em up.

Great work!

osetivo
05-23-2004, 04:09 PM
OT:
I currently connect to my TiVo/network via Linksys VPN routers at both ends Office-Home, so I can't be at a friends house or on the road and access the machines.

All of these guy connecting remotely to their machines has made me envious, so I guess I need to invest some time in a "secure" method of accessing my network from other than my home. Guess I'm off in search of those old "Access Tivo via the Internet" threads.

Keep up the good work Masnarck.

osetivo
05-23-2004, 04:11 PM
Lucky me, my project only adresses a very small niche of people. Not that many support requests. ;)

Oh, but it can be sooooo much more. How about the be all end all remote Tivo Internet Server. :)

Masnark
05-23-2004, 08:44 PM
Oh, but it can be sooooo much more. How about the be all end all remote Tivo Internet Server. :)

Dunno about end-all and all that, but one of the next versions will be integrated with TiMo (TiVoMobile) and allow you to schedule a show and get automatic notifications etc. Since it's calling into TiVoWeb, you dont need to actually open up TiVoWeb to the world - you can access it through IIS, if you choose the trust it that is.

But in any case - all ideas are welcome. ;)

gobsmack
05-24-2004, 11:09 PM
I recommend Orenosp highly. It is a little obscure and has become more complex, but I use an earlier version that just rocks. Https in with a password, then it forwards your packets directly to/from your TiVo.

WinXP remote web desktop works well, too, over IIS. I can now log into my main PC just to check etiVo or to do remote desktop -- same port.

OT:
I currently connect to my TiVo/network via Linksys VPN routers at both ends Office-Home, so I can't be at a friends house or on the road and access the machines.

All of these guy connecting remotely to their machines has made me envious, so I guess I need to invest some time in a "secure" method of accessing my network from other than my home. Guess I'm off in search of those old "Access Tivo via the Internet" threads.

osetivo
05-24-2004, 11:27 PM
you can access it through IIS, if you choose the trust it that is.

This is what I'm trying to understand at the moment. If I open/forward port 80 to my XPPro machine that has Etivo running what exactly can I do to button it down a bit, security wise.

Masnark
05-24-2004, 11:46 PM
This is what I'm trying to understand at the moment. If I open/forward port 80 to my XPPro machine that has Etivo running what exactly can I do to button it down a bit, security wise.

1. Open the IIS console (Control Panel/Administrative Tools),
2. Go to the root and say that you need Integrated Security there (and turn off Anonymous of course). This should basically lock-down all the virtual directories only for people who are users of that machine (I might be slightly wrong here, but you can play with it - it should at least be impossible to log on from another machine with any user that is passwordless).
3. Your IIS should now be locked down. You now have to create a user who has a password (dont make that guy admin - no need to).
4. Log on to the machine from another machine - you should get a popup asking for name/password.

Just as a sanity check - I suggest you go and try connecting via your passwordless users or whatever to see if you can.

5. (For advanced users) You can also remove the newly created user from all other files in the system and only allow it to access the EtiVoWeb directory. This can be an extra line of defense if I screwed up some URL attacks or something on EtiVo.

If you dont want the user to appear on the login screen, follow the instructions in http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak755.aspx

Hmm.. It seems like I am giving pretty good instructions on my TiMo site. Go to http://prish.com/timo/installation.htm for more information about how to make this work.

tweaky
05-25-2004, 01:20 PM
TIMO!!! I can't wait to get home and install this. (I promise I won't screw it up this time :) )

Masnark
05-25-2004, 06:32 PM
Hey..

Is anyone here willing to maintain a FAQ for EtiVo? Something that will list common problems, solutions and work-arounds?

I can host it on my site.

If you think you wanna do it, please send me an email.

tweaky
05-25-2004, 08:03 PM
I just upgraded to 0.01.0511 of both the server and the etivoweb. I have verified both my config files (same as default except Autotivo = False and the directory is c:\data), but I continue to get this error when trying to load the page.

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
EtiVo.Service.Api.EtiVoServer.ExecuteCommand(String cmd) in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\etivoweb\apietivoserver.cs:192
EtiVo.Service.Api.EtiVoServer.SendNoop() in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\etivoweb\apietivoserver.cs:187
EtiVo.Web.Utils.CreateEtiVoServer() in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\etivoweb\utils.cs:74
EtiVo.Web.EtiVoStatus.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\EtiVoWeb\EtiVoStatus.aspx.cs:39

I have done a complete uninstall of both applications, a purging of the iis directory, and a reinstall and I still get this error.

The good news is that Timo is working great. I'll definetely be using that one.

tweaky
05-25-2004, 08:12 PM
Also playing around with timo, and I am not sure this is a bug or not. I have a DSR6000 (Series 1) running tivoweb plus. If I do a search for "70's", it returns "*70s". Clicking on that, I get a whole list of "* No Episode Title (Free)". Clicking on any item gives this error

[ParseNotFoundException: Exception of type TivoExtractor.ParseNotFoundException was thrown.]
TivoExtractor.Extractor.ParseForInfo(String row, String tokenInitial, String tokenBegin, String tokenEnd, Int32& nCurrLocation, Boolean fIncludeBegin) +270
TivoExtractor.EpisodeExtractor.Extract(String tivoHostName, String episodeID) +209
TiMo.ShowEpisode.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +105
System.Web.UI.MobileControls.MobilePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +147

Can anyone else reproduce this? This is very easy to work around, just don't click on a "No Title" item.

Masnark
05-25-2004, 08:19 PM
I just upgraded to 0.01.0511 of both the server and the etivoweb. I have verified both my config files (same as default except Autotivo = False and the directory is c:\data), but I continue to get this error when trying to load the page.

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
EtiVo.Service.Api.EtiVoServer.ExecuteCommand(String cmd) in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\etivoweb\apietivoserver.cs:192
EtiVo.Service.Api.EtiVoServer.SendNoop() in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\etivoweb\apietivoserver.cs:187
EtiVo.Web.Utils.CreateEtiVoServer() in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\etivoweb\utils.cs:74
EtiVo.Web.EtiVoStatus.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\EtiVoWeb\EtiVoStatus.aspx.cs:39

I have done a complete uninstall of both applications, a purging of the iis directory, and a reinstall and I still get this error.

The good news is that Timo is working great. I'll definetely be using that one.

What you are seeing is a problem that happens when the server is not up and running. Make sure the service has been started *and* that you can connect to it via telnet (telnet localhost 6969).

Also playing around with timo, and I am not sure this is a bug or not. I have a DSR6000 (Series 1) running tivoweb plus. If I do a search for "70's", it returns "*70s". Clicking on that, I get a whole list of "* No Episode Title (Free)". Clicking on any item gives this error

[ParseNotFoundException: Exception of type TivoExtractor.ParseNotFoundException was thrown.]
TivoExtractor.Extractor.ParseForInfo(String row, String tokenInitial, String tokenBegin, String tokenEnd, Int32& nCurrLocation, Boolean fIncludeBegin) +270
TivoExtractor.EpisodeExtractor.Extract(String tivoHostName, String episodeID) +209
TiMo.ShowEpisode.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +105
System.Web.UI.MobileControls.MobilePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +147

Can anyone else reproduce this? This is very easy to work around, just don't click on a "No Title" item.

Hmmmm....

I havent tried using TiMo for a long while. The "No title" simply means that TiVo doesnt have an episode description. I will try and take a look at this in the following few days. Also, next time use the TiMo thread if you can find it or alternitavely, post a new thread. Dont wanna add things that are non-EtiVo here. Thanks!

tweaky
05-25-2004, 08:30 PM
Sorry, I didn't realize there was a timo thread... I'll hunt that one down..
<edit> here is the link for anyone else looking for it http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34250

You are correct in the fact that the etivoserver service is not running. dohhh.. It is always the simple things

Masnark
05-25-2004, 08:36 PM
Sorry, I didn't realize there was a timo thread... I'll hunt that one down..
<edit> here is the link for anyone else looking for it http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34250

You are correct in the fact that the etivoserver service is not running. dohhh.. It is always the simple things

As a side note, at some point, I am going to add a feature to TiMo where it will be able to automatically schedule a notification in EtiVo when scheduling a show in TiVo.

he24444
05-26-2004, 05:01 PM
Hello, I have the Etivoweb working almost 100%, except for one thing.

I can select files, process them, but they report as failed this way: Remote encoder encountered an error

When I check the directory of the wmv, it has been encoded fine, so it just seems to not be reporting back properly. Here's the log, saying codecs are missing. I have tyshow, and WM9 encoder and I think everything installed.

-------------------------------------------------------------
-- Log started: 5/26/2004 11:11:07 AM
11:11:07 - Info: WM9Encoder: Starting up Out Of Proc encoder.
11:11:07 - Info: WM9Encoder: Connecting to Master EtiVo on port 2443.
11:11:07 - Info: WM9Encoder: Sending HelloMaster handshake to master.
11:11:07 - Info: WM9Encoder: Read line from server: c:\data\{The 5th Wheel}{2004-01-23}{}{DT20}.show\{The 5th Wheel}{2004-01-23}{}{DT20}.ty
11:11:07 - Info: WM9Encoder: Read line from server: {The 5th Wheel}{2004-01-23}{}{DT20}
11:11:07 - Info: WM9Encoder: Read line from server: c:\data\{The 5th Wheel}{2004-01-23}{}{DT20}.show
11:11:08 - Info: WM9Encoder: Encoder state changed. It is now:WMENC_ENCODER_STARTING
11:11:10 - Info: WM9Encoder: Encoder state changed. It is now:WMENC_ENCODER_STOPPING
11:11:10 - Info: WM9Encoder: Encoder state changed. It is now:WMENC_ENCODER_STOPPED
11:11:10 - Error: WM9Encoder: One or more codecs required to open this content could not be found.

Masnark
05-26-2004, 05:28 PM
Hello, I have the Etivoweb working almost 100%, except for one thing.

I can select files, process them, but they report as failed this way: Remote encoder encountered an error

When I check the directory of the wmv, it has been encoded fine, so it just seems to not be reporting back properly. Here's the log, saying codecs are missing. I have tyshow, and WM9 encoder and I think everything installed.

-- Log started: 5/26/2004 11:11:07 AM
11:11:07 - Info: WM9Encoder: Starting up Out Of Proc encoder.
11:11:07 - Info: WM9Encoder: Connecting to Master EtiVo on port 2443.
11:11:07 - Info: WM9Encoder: Sending HelloMaster handshake to master.
11:11:07 - Info: WM9Encoder: Read line from server: c:\data\{The 5th Wheel}{2004-01-23}{}{DT20}.show\{The 5th Wheel}{2004-01-23}{}{DT20}.ty
11:11:07 - Info: WM9Encoder: Read line from server: {The 5th Wheel}{2004-01-23}{}{DT20}
11:11:07 - Info: WM9Encoder: Read line from server: c:\data\{The 5th Wheel}{2004-01-23}{}{DT20}.show
11:11:08 - Info: WM9Encoder: Encoder state changed. It is now:WMENC_ENCODER_STARTING
11:11:10 - Info: WM9Encoder: Encoder state changed. It is now:WMENC_ENCODER_STOPPING
11:11:10 - Info: WM9Encoder: Encoder state changed. It is now:WMENC_ENCODER_STOPPED
11:11:10 - Error: WM9Encoder: One or more codecs required to open this content could not be found.

Hurmph....

I havn't got a clue how the WMV got encoded fine - it seems like the whole thing is over in about 3 seconds. Did you check that the size of the WMV is valid and that it's actually playing?

Try to use the encoder exe to see if you can get it to encode - if you can't then you have to fix that problem first. For starters, download a TY file from MFSFTP and try playing it on Windows Media Player - see if that works.

hth

he24444
05-26-2004, 08:12 PM
Hurmph....

I havn't got a clue how the WMV got encoded fine - it seems like the whole thing is over in about 3 seconds. Did you check that the size of the WMV is valid and that it's actually playing?

Try to use the encoder exe to see if you can get it to encode - if you can't then you have to fix that problem first. For starters, download a TY file from MFSFTP and try playing it on Windows Media Player - see if that works.

hth

hth,

Yes, it's strange, the file is fully encoded and plays fine. They also encode if I run it manually. The only thing that doesn't complete is the .ty file still remains.

Masnark
05-26-2004, 09:28 PM
hth,

Yes, it's strange, the file is fully encoded and plays fine. They also encode if I run it manually. The only thing that doesn't complete is the .ty file still remains.

Just to make sure we are not being mislead, please do the following:

1. Delete/rename the logs.
2. Turn AutoTivo off by default.
3. Manually ask EtiVo to encode a show. Make sure (by looking in the physical data directory) that the show does not exist.
4. Send me the logs/post them here. You can remove any and all "progress reports" from them. But show everything in both logs - the EtiVo.log and the SlaveEncoder ones.

I suspect something is fundamentally wrong in what you think is happening -- there is no way a WMV will get encoded in 3 seconds. Even if it's just a couple of megabytes.

Unless..... What computer do you have? Does it happen to be a HAL? ;)

cmylxgo
05-27-2004, 11:06 AM
OT:

Using a non standard port for your HTTP access is a good start.

he24444
05-28-2004, 08:14 PM
hth,

You were right, ty files were not being encoded, but it was working when I did it manually by clicking on the wme. Anyway, I had installed the wm9 before tyshow and I think that was the problem. I reinstalled wm9 and everything working perfectly now. Great job !

One more question. Another nice option would be to end up with mpg files. How complicated would it be to add that and do you know what encoder might work?

sublimnl
05-28-2004, 11:03 PM
I just got this installed this morning with the latest versions, and I must say that is freakin ROCKS. However, I have noticed that the entire ty file is not being encoded to wm9. I have only tested this with two recording so far, but one only encoded 9:47 of a 48 minute recording and the other did a little over 10 minutes of a 30 minute recording. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

sanderton
05-29-2004, 07:05 AM
Is your mfs_ftp installetion working right? Partial copies are often due to bad binaries on the mfs_ftp install.

sublimnl
05-29-2004, 01:05 PM
yes, mfs_ftp is installed correctly AFAIK. The ty files are complete when they get pulled over.

Masnark
05-29-2004, 04:14 PM
One more question. Another nice option would be to end up with mpg files. How complicated would it be to add that and do you know what encoder might work?

I have said that before. If any of you want a different format, I am willing to work with you and open up EtiVo for addins - it's very little work on my part as I already have 3 types of encoders in there - the WM9Encoder, the OutOfProc encoder and a NullEncoder for testing. All you need is the ability to code in .net (hell, I will even write a wrapper for you if you wish to code this in COM). I will also host the binaries for you on my site. :)

As for what encoder - I really don't know. Do you want MPG files? If so, I would search for TiVo->VCD options and go from there. Another option is to see if TMPEGEnc works on TY files and go from there.

If you have any other specific questions, I would try to help, though my knowledge is pretty much limited to what EtiVo does. :)

I just got this installed this morning with the latest versions, and I must say that is freakin ROCKS. However, I have noticed that the entire ty file is not being encoded to wm9. I have only tested this with two recording so far, but one only encoded 9:47 of a 48 minute recording and the other did a little over 10 minutes of a 30 minute recording. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Like sanderton said -- this is most often caused by a mis-installation of MFSFTP. Please make positively sure the following is working:

1. Download a TY file from MFSFTP using whatever ftp client you like.
2. Play that TY file on the same machine where you expect EtiVo to work. Play the entire file - until after the 10 min mark.
3. If (2) worked, now try manually re-encoding the file via the WM9 encoder exe.
4. If (3) worked, please send me your logs and I will try to figure out what's going on there.

sublimnl
05-30-2004, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the help guys. It looks like I was running into the MFS_FTP 512MB barrier. I grabbed the latest version of MFS_FTP, grabbed the s2bins, and also grabbed the fixed mfs_stream. After this I started up MFS_FTP, and then Etivoweb gave an error saying that File was too small. I found a version of EtivoServer (0.1.501.10) posted earlier in this thread and that works with my new MFS_FTP setup. Any reason the latest version of EtivoServer would have given me the file too small error? Just curious. Crossing my fingers now, as I am pulling a 1 hour recording with Etivoweb...we'll see what happens. :)

Masnark
05-30-2004, 04:07 AM
Any reason the latest version of EtivoServer would have given me the file too small error?

<cough>

I used to read the file information from the Ftp by using a fixed location - so I would assume that the file name starts at location 56 (or whatever). Now I just look for the first "{" and use that to get the file name.

sublimnl
05-30-2004, 05:27 AM
The encoder stopped at 9:00 this time. Opened up the ty file and sure enough it will not play past the 9:00 mark either. :( Can some kind soul plz post the working versions of the mfs_ftp files? I've gone through 3 versions now and still have not got this working. I'm running HDVR2 with 4.0.1b in case that wasn't already said. Thanks!

Masnark
05-30-2004, 06:13 AM
The encoder stopped at 9:00 this time. Opened up the ty file and sure enough it will not play past the 9:00 mark either. :( Can some kind soul plz post the working versions of the mfs_ftp files? I've gone through 3 versions now and still have not got this working. I'm running HDVR2 with 4.0.1b in case that wasn't already said. Thanks!

Go through the thread - I saw about 2 or 3 people having similar problems. Try PMing them maybe.

poissony
05-30-2004, 02:28 PM
I installed etivoserver and etivoweb today but I can't get any files to show up on etivoweb and when I type list on etivoserver telnet session nothing happens except "connection to host lost". Here's my log file:

19:16:57 - Info: Session: Session created.
19:17:01 - Info: FtpFetcher: Opening connection to 10.0.0.7
19:17:06 - Info: FtpFetcher: 220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p - {sock20} from "10.0.0.9:1078"
19:17:06 - Info: FtpFetcher: USER anonymous
19:17:06 - Info: FtpFetcher: 331 User name okay, need password.
19:17:06 - Info: FtpFetcher: PASS anonymous@anonymous.net
19:17:06 - Info: FtpFetcher: 230 Running in TiVo Mode.
19:17:06 - Info: FtpFetcher: Connected to 10.0.0.7
19:17:06 - Info: FtpFetcher: CWD /ty
19:17:06 - Info: FtpFetcher: 250 Directory change successful.
19:17:06 - Info: FtpFetcher: PWD
19:17:06 - Info: FtpFetcher: 257 "/ty" is current directory.
19:17:06 - Info: FtpFetcher: Current directory is /ty
19:17:06 - Info: FtpFetcher: PASV
19:17:06 - Info: FtpFetcher: 227 Entering Passive Mode (10,0,0,7,12,32).
19:17:10 - Info: FtpFetcher: LIST -aL
19:17:10 - Info: FtpFetcher: 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
19:17:16 - Info: FtpFetcher: 226 Transfer complete.
19:17:16 - Info: FtpFetcher: Closing connection to 10.0.0.7
19:17:16 - Info: FtpFetcher: QUIT
19:17:16 - Info: FtpFetcher: 221 Server Closing Control Connection by client request
19:17:16 - Error: Session: Session caused exception System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
at EtiVo.Service.QueueItem.Init(String showFileName) in C:\Documents and Settings\Shahar\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\EtiVo\EtiVoSrv\QueueItem.cs:line 181
at EtiVo.Service.QueueManager.QueryFileList() in C:\Documents and Settings\Shahar\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\EtiVo\EtiVoSrv\QueueManager.cs:line 164
at EtiVo.Service.QueueManager.GetShowList() in C:\Documents and Settings\Shahar\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\EtiVo\EtiVoSrv\QueueManager.cs:line 221
at EtiVo.Service.Session.ProcessList(String args) in C:\Documents and Settings\Shahar\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\EtiVo\EtiVoSrv\Session.cs:line 365
at EtiVo.Service.Session.ProcessCommand(String commandLine) in C:\Documents and Settings\Shahar\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\EtiVo\EtiVoSrv\Session.cs:line 149
at EtiVo.Service.Session.ThreadStartWorking() in C:\Documents and Settings\Shahar\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\EtiVo\EtiVoSrv\Session.cs:line 68. Message is: Illegal characters in path.
19:17:16 - Info: Session: Session closing down.

Any ideas?

Masnark
05-30-2004, 03:01 PM
I installed etivoserver and etivoweb today but I can't get any files to show up on etivoweb and when I type list on etivoserver telnet session nothing happens except "connection to host lost". Here's my log file:

[...]
19:17:16 - Error: Session: Session caused exception System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
[...]
Any ideas?

It seems like your path is illegal. Can you show your EtiVoSrv.exe.config please?

poissony
05-30-2004, 03:51 PM
It seems like your path is illegal. Can you show your EtiVoSrv.exe.config please?

Yup, here you go:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
<!-- For more information on these settings, go to http://www.prish.com/EtiVo -->
<appSettings>
<add key="listenPort" value="6969"/> <!-- What port the EtiVo service should listen on. -->
<add key="tivoHost" value="10.0.0.7"/> <!-- The name of the TiVo on the network. -->
<add key="mfsFtpPort" value="3105"/> <!-- The port on which EtiVo will try to connect to MfsFtp on.-->
<add key="dataDir" value="c:\data"/> <!-- The directory that is used to store the filles. -->
<add key="wmeFile" value="WmvLow.wme"/> <!-- The file that will be used to encode the show. This file can be created and edited easily by using Windows Media Encoder. -->
<add key="simulate" value="false"/> <!-- -->
<add key="autoTivo" value="false"/> <!-- This sets the default state of the auto tivo feature when the service boots up. -->
<add key="waitTime" value="20000"/> <!-- -->
<add key="encoderClass" value="EtiVo.Service.OutOfProcEncoder"/> <!-- -->
<add key="logToFile" value="true"/> <!-- This will cause EtiVo to create a log file. -->
<add key="etiVoWebUrl" value="http://localhost/EtiVoWeb/"/> <!-- This will be used in notification emails as the base address. Remember to add that last '\'-->
<add key="includeList" value=""/> <!-- Only files that contain this string will be included in the list of available shows. Separate multiple strings to search for by ";".-->
<add key="excludeList" value=""/> <!-- Only files that do not contain this string will be included in the list of available shows. Separate multiple strings to search for by ";".-->
<add key="keepTYFiles" value="false"/> <!-- Keep TY Files after encoding. Careful with this. It will fill your HD in no time.-->
<add key="password" value=""/> <!-- If this is set to some value, that password will need to be entered before EtiVo can be accessed. Note that this is a FALSE sense of security. It will be incredibly easy to break in many and creative ways!!! You have been warned. -->
<add key="readyMailFile" value="ReadyMail.htm"/> <!-- This is the file used for the encoding. Any extension other than HTM will result in the file sent as text. -->
</appSettings>
</configuration>

Masnark
05-30-2004, 09:30 PM
Hmmm..

This means that the show name has illegal characters in it, and I am failing on it - guess I am not protecting against it as well as I thought.

Can you give a list of the shows that you think might have "illegal path" characters in them?

Thanks

poissony
05-31-2004, 10:25 AM
Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by illegal path names of shows. We do alter the names of programs via Tivoweb (i.e a * is put before programs for my girlfiend to watch and >> is put before programs to transfer to video :( and a @ is put before programs for me to watch, i.e "@ West Wing").

I'm not sure if this what you are referring to but I'll remove all instances of these in Now Playing and see what happens.

poissony
05-31-2004, 11:16 AM
I've removed all the characters I added to Program names but the problem remains, even after uninstalling and reinstalling.

Masnark
05-31-2004, 04:15 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by illegal path names of shows. We do alter the names of programs via Tivoweb (i.e a * is put before programs for my girlfiend to watch and >> is put before programs to transfer to video :( and a @ is put before programs for me to watch, i.e "@ West Wing").

I'm not sure if this what you are referring to but I'll remove all instances of these in Now Playing and see what happens.

These are indeed illegal characters. But the only ones I am not taking care of are ">" and "<" it seems.

Hmm... And you are sure you removed all of them? Can you PM me the entire list of shows, as MfsFtp reports them please?

gobsmack
05-31-2004, 05:02 PM
Ok i was having this problem i was able to fix this by visting this page
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306005

hope it helps

dogo

Had a totally different error message, as I just did a clean windows install (new PC) and could not get etivoserver working for the life of me.

Thought "what the hell" and sure 'nuff, this worked. If others are scratching heads, try it.

gobs

gobsmack
05-31-2004, 09:03 PM
Got all the .net and aspx working, installed windows media encoder, but now getting encoding failures.

Fetch works fine, but encoding fails with: Remote encoder encountered an error.

Isn't a clean install of Windows fun!?

Any help? thanks

edit: noticing now that WME is saying it doesn't have a codec that it needs. Didn't see a codec requirement on etivo site.... gents?

malfunct
05-31-2004, 10:30 PM
Got all the .net and aspx working, installed windows media encoder, but now getting encoding failures.

Fetch works fine, but encoding fails with: Remote encoder encountered an error.

Isn't a clean install of Windows fun!?

Any help? thanks

edit: noticing now that WME is saying it doesn't have a codec that it needs. Didn't see a codec requirement on etivo site.... gents?

That would either be an mpeg2 codec (install a software dvd player such as nvDvd, powerdvd or similar) or the tyshow codec (available in this forum on another post) or both.

SteveLoat
06-01-2004, 06:12 PM
I've got a problem with etivo at the moment. It correctly pulls the .ty file from the Tivo, and encodes it, but when I go to the "Available Shows" page, a lot of the shows display as:

D:\tivo\{American Hot Rod}{2004-05-11}{Alumatub 3}{DHL}.show

and in the "Episode" column, it says "[Error in parsing ShowInfo.xml for this show!!]". This seems to effect "American Hot Rod" episodes, as a few other programs work fine. I haven't used it a lot, so can't say if the problem will appear on other shows.

Any ideas why?

Steve

Masnark
06-01-2004, 07:49 PM
I've got a problem with etivo at the moment. It correctly pulls the .ty file from the Tivo, and encodes it, but when I go to the "Available Shows" page, a lot of the shows display as:

D:\tivo\{American Hot Rod}{2004-05-11}{Alumatub 3}{DHL}.show

and in the "Episode" column, it says "[Error in parsing ShowInfo.xml for this show!!]". This seems to effect "American Hot Rod" episodes, as a few other programs work fine. I haven't used it a lot, so can't say if the problem will appear on other shows.

Any ideas why?

Steve

Yes.

The XML files have illegal characters in them (usually "&").

The new version (out by the end of this week hopefuly) does the following:
1. Will fix those problems automatically for new shows that are encoded.
2. Has a command-line switch that will cause it to go over existing shows and fix them automatically.

In the meantime, if you want to fix this manually, look for "&" in the XML files and change them to "&amp;" (sans quotes). And do that only when the "&" is not in text that looks like this: &xxxx;

gobsmack
06-01-2004, 09:35 PM
That would either be an mpeg2 codec (install a software dvd player such as nvDvd, powerdvd or similar) or the tyshow codec (available in this forum on another post) or both.

tyshow did the trick

SteveLoat
06-02-2004, 06:50 AM
Yes.

The XML files have illegal characters in them (usually "&").

Thanks, I'll try that out tonight when I get back home.

Cheers

Steve

Masnark
06-03-2004, 03:01 AM
Hi guys.

At the first post (and on the site) you can see links and the changelist for the new version - 0.01.0529.

Two things though:

1. Uninstall the previous versions from Control Panel.
2. If you have shows that display [Error...] in EtiVo Web, run "EtiVoSrv.exe -m" from the command line - it will go through your shows and fix them. Note that you should NOT have EtiVo running when you run this command

gamejester
06-03-2004, 05:03 AM
New features look great, will upgrade as soon as my current batch of encoding has finished.

A request for the next version would aid the diagnostic of TyShow encoding failures. About 5% of my shows fail to encode the whole show, and re-downloading and re-encoding produces exactly the same short length file. These shows do not show as failed, so a new feature where you can flag an encoded show as failed and then the option to just re-extract the .TY would be great; saves the manual steps I am currently doing.

These failed shows then need to be played via tyShow to see if they report correct length and/or stop at the same point as the .wmv file and a work around emplyed whilst the fault, if found, reported in the TyShow thread.

osetivo
06-03-2004, 09:23 AM
Looking great!

EDIT: I'm still an *****

gobsmack
06-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Hi guys.

...Note that you should NOT have EtiVo running when you run this command

1. How do you stop Etivo from running? It runs at boot and won't die in process list.

2. Etivo show listings are only 90% correlated with my "Now Showing" -- recent episodes of The Screen Savers are clearly on my Tivo, but never listed in Etivo (under manual queuing or otherwise). What might be wrong?

Oh, make that one other thing:
3. There doesn't seem to be a way to "set affinity" for Etivosrv or the .msi for dual procs -- it simply won't let you change the attribute. Any thoughts? Also affects hyperthreading procs, so not just for the geeky few?...

THANKS

gobs

sublimnl
06-04-2004, 01:55 PM
I have also noticed a delay after stopping the service before Etivosrv.exe shuts down. I use wrkill.exe from the W2K recource kit to force my Etivo process to close. You will first need to install the Remote Process Killer service using the command "rkill /install \\computername" before you can use wrkill.exe.

On your question about dual procs, maybe you can try using the out of process encoder. WME probably will pick up the 2nd proc. (just a stab in the dark)

Masnark
06-04-2004, 01:59 PM
1. How do you stop Etivo from running? It runs at boot and won't die in process list.

2. Etivo show listings are only 90% correlated with my "Now Showing" -- recent episodes of The Screen Savers are clearly on my Tivo, but never listed in Etivo (under manual queuing or otherwise). What might be wrong?

Oh, make that one other thing:
3. There doesn't seem to be a way to "set affinity" for Etivosrv or the .msi for dual procs -- it simply won't let you change the attribute. Any thoughts? Also affects hyperthreading procs, so not just for the geeky few?...

THANKS

gobs

1. Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services. You can also do it (depending on your user rights) from one of the ASPX files. I think it's called ServiceDown.aspx

2. EtiVo listings should correlate with MfsFtp. If your MfsFtp listing does not correlate to TiVo, you have a different problem. But that rarely happens. Once you make sure that's not the case, it means that EtiVo is encountering some "dirtiness" in the data directory. For now, the easiest solution is to find those directories that are missing in the Data directory and simply delete them, and then restart EtiVo. In a future version, I will add maintainance options that will do that automatically.
If non of this applies, then you are in weird land, and we can talk further about might be the problem.

3. Set affinity you say... What exactly do you mean? You want to bind EtiVoServer to run all it's threads on a specific processor?! Why would you want to do that? As it stands, the encoder which takes the most processor power runs in a lower priority, so it doesnt overload regular operations of the system. The rest of the system is pretty easy on CPU resources, except for on startup. It's peak CPU usage on a decent machine should rarely exceed 3% with the default settings. Can you elaborate?

I have also noticed a delay after stopping the service before Etivosrv.exe shuts down.
How long a delay? On my machine it's only a few seconds. Are you talking about 0529?

stryugy
06-04-2004, 07:42 PM
Would a Pentium 550 with 256megs of ram work for this? If I manually que up a show, how long do you think it would take from queing the show to being able to view it?

Figure 100mbit network, 30 minute show recorded at high. If I haven't included enough variables here for you to guestimate just fill in the blanks.

Thanks for your hard work. This is exactly what I want! I just need to knw if a 550 is horsepower enough to run this and not wait 2 hours to que up and watch a 30 min show.

sublimnl
06-04-2004, 08:12 PM
How long a delay? On my machine it's only a few seconds. Are you talking about 0529?

About 1-2 minutes. Sorry, 0529?

I just need to knw if a 550 is horsepower enough to run this and not wait 2 hours to que up and watch a 30 min show.

All I can say is that I have a dual AMD 1800 system with 512MB ram and I re-encode just a little bit faster than real-time.

Masnark
06-04-2004, 08:22 PM
Would a Pentium 550 with 256megs of ram work for this? If I manually que up a show, how long do you think it would take from queing the show to being able to view it?

Figure 100mbit network, 30 minute show recorded at high. If I haven't included enough variables here for you to guestimate just fill in the blanks.

Thanks for your hard work. This is exactly what I want! I just need to knw if a 550 is horsepower enough to run this and not wait 2 hours to que up and watch a 30 min show.

Hmmm... It will take a while.. I would guess about 2x or so. Maybe even 2.5x as long to encode. You can test it w/o installing EtiVo. Just take a TY file and use WM9 encoder to encode it.

About 1-2 minutes. Sorry, 0529?

0.01.0529 is the most-recent version. Had a fix specific for allowing the service to exit in an orderly (and only a couple of seconds) fashion.

gobsmack
06-08-2004, 11:54 PM
2. EtiVo listings should correlate with MfsFtp. If your MfsFtp listing does not correlate to TiVo, you have a different problem. But that rarely happens. Once you make sure that's not the case, it means that EtiVo is encountering some "dirtiness" in the data directory. For now, the easiest solution is to find those directories that are missing in the Data directory and simply delete them, and then restart EtiVo. In a future version, I will add maintainance options that will do that automatically.
If non of this applies, then you are in weird land, and we can talk further about might be the problem.

Ok, back after some traveling. Here's the deal:
1. 100% correlation b/t mfsftp and tivo
2. when you clean out the data directory, some improvement
3. Recurring shows appear to be troublesome -- and this appears to be a function of how the "originally aired date" is coded. For Screen Savers and The O'Reilly show, the originally aired date is the first date the show started on the network, not the date the particular episode actually aired. Note that for ScreenSavers, this was not the case originally, but when they moved to g4tv, the coding broke. Hence, that is why I saw the "it worked, now doesn't".

Since both are listed in the mfs_ftp headers, is it possible to key off the showing date and not the originally aired date? It would fix this problem, but would it screw anything else up?

Thanks,

gobs

gobsmack
06-09-2004, 09:53 AM
following up on my post above:
1. did a clean install of latest etivo
2. cleaned out the data directory
3. started etivo
4. grabbed the most recent episode of screen savers, o'reilly under manual queuing
5. once those episodes finished, no other episodes of those shows appeared in the manual queuing list.

If this problem is particular to manual queuing, then perhaps I can go "automatic" for these particular shows to avoid the problem?

THoughts? thanks,

gobs

Masnark
06-09-2004, 12:20 PM
following up on my post above:
1. did a clean install of latest etivo
2. cleaned out the data directory
3. started etivo
4. grabbed the most recent episode of screen savers, o'reilly under manual queuing
5. once those episodes finished, no other episodes of those shows appeared in the manual queuing list.

If this problem is particular to manual queuing, then perhaps I can go "automatic" for these particular shows to avoid the problem?

THoughts? thanks,

gobs

None really. Can you do that thing again, with one show (the whole cleaning thing) and then manually record one show, and then see that manual recording does not work, and then send me the entire log?

gobsmack
06-09-2004, 02:17 PM
can do -- just point me to the log?

Also, did you see my prev note: is it possible to key on the "showed on" date (that's what Tivoweb calls it) -- also part of the mfs_ftp filename, so potentially easy to change??? Would make this error a thing of the past, I believe.

Masnark
06-09-2004, 03:05 PM
can do -- just point me to the log?

Also, did you see my prev note: is it possible to key on the "showed on" date (that's what Tivoweb calls it) -- also part of the mfs_ftp filename, so potentially easy to change??? Would make this error a thing of the past, I believe.

Log should be in program files\etivoserver I think. It's called EtiVoServer or EtiVoSrv.log... I think.. :)

As for the other thing - I am not sure I understood WHY you want to key it off the showed date? What do you think that would solve? The fact that you might have duplicates?

I would hate to make this change.

gobsmack
06-09-2004, 06:58 PM
Log should be in program files\etivoserver I think. It's called EtiVoServer or EtiVoSrv.log... I think.. :)

As for the other thing - I am not sure I understood WHY you want to key it off the showed date? What do you think that would solve? The fact that you might have duplicates?

I would hate to make this change.

Chief, there is nothing that ends in .log (of course I looked before I posted), there are only etivolib.dll, etivosrv.exe, etivosrv.exe.config, etivosrv.installstate, etivosrv.pdb (is this it???), your new Eula, some interop.dll, wme encoder, and some readme files... Either I'm blind or my computer doesn't have a log!

As for keying off the showed date, these two shows (the only two shows I really watch) have a problem in that their (unique) episodes do not have distinct "originally aired on" dates. I'm not recording multiple copies of each; just one per night, and each is viewed by Tivo as unique. However, etivo doesn't view each one as unique.

I was simply offering another way to get at uniqueness -- hoping that since it might be as simple as parsing and tranforming a file name, that keying off the next set of brackets in the mfs_ftp filename might be an option. If, however, you are just grabbing data from the XML, then wouldn't it just be a difference in the field name of what you're grabbing?

As always, it is your gig, your development, your program. Perhaps these are the only two shows on television where the originally aired date is permanently fixed on the date the show started on TV, in which case, I'm just out of luck. But if other shows suffer the same problem (far beyond our control), then others will complain.

I wonder if, alternatively, Riley has some options for changing the output from mfs_ftp. I'll ping him on it.

Thanks!

gobs

Masnark
06-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Chief, there is nothing that ends in .log (of course I looked before I posted), there are only etivolib.dll, etivosrv.exe, etivosrv.exe.config, etivosrv.installstate, etivosrv.pdb (is this it???), your new Eula, some interop.dll, wme encoder, and some readme files... Either I'm blind or my computer doesn't have a log!

Things just become stranger and stranger.

Check your .config file - do you have a setting there saying "logToFile" that is set to true? If so... Ummm... Does the service account you are using have access rights to the directory where EtiVo resides?

As for keying off the showed date, these two shows (the only two shows I really watch) have a problem in that their (unique) episodes do not have distinct "originally aired on" dates. I'm not recording multiple copies of each; just one per night, and each is viewed by Tivo as unique. However, etivo doesn't view each one as unique.

I was simply offering another way to get at uniqueness -- hoping that since it might be as simple as parsing and tranforming a file name, that keying off the next set of brackets in the mfs_ftp filename might be an option. If, however, you are just grabbing data from the XML, then wouldn't it just be a difference in the field name of what you're grabbing?

That's what I thought I understood you wanted, but now I also understand why exactly.

I will give it some thought - it might be trivial to change it so that when I generate my (not-so-unique) id for a show, I can supply people with the option of leaving the record date in there. Since I am forcefully removing that piece of the data, it might be that it's a very small change..

Hmmm..

Ok, when I have a few spare hours in the next couple'a days, I will try to tailor you a 0529 revision and see if it solves your problem.

As always, it is your gig, your development, your program. Perhaps these are the only two shows on television where the originally aired date is permanently fixed on the date the show started on TV, in which case, I'm just out of luck. But if other shows suffer the same problem (far beyond our control), then others will complain.

:confused: I draw much pleasure from the fact that people are finding this little thing as useful as I do. I also like the quick "ship cycles" - something I dont get to do in my new job. Working for 3 years on a product ship cycle is... Long. :)

It's just that some changes are in the core and can either be very easy or very hard - but in any case, are very tricky.

gobsmack
06-09-2004, 08:17 PM
Hey, don't get me wrong: I've said it before -- this is the best tool on the Tivo platform in a very, very long time. It is easily my favorite and I'm in love.

The last part of what I said was meant to say: don't let me tell you what to write, this is your project. I value it as is. Sure I'd love for you to enhance it to suit me, but that is the selfish nature of users. If it could make coffee for me in the morning, too, that would be great! Seriously, my feedback is simply there for you to weigh and consider as you determine how best to rev the code.

Separately, where are you that has 3 year development cycles? PM me, as you may actually be at the same company :)

gobs

Masnark
06-10-2004, 02:10 PM
The last part of what I said was meant to say: don't let me tell you what to write, this is your project. I value it as is. Sure I'd love for you to enhance it to suit me, but that is the selfish nature of users. If it could make coffee for me in the morning, too, that would be great! Seriously, my feedback is simply there for you to weigh and consider as you determine how best to rev the code.
gobs

Well, I gave it some thought.

I think it's gonna be very very hard. You have to take into account various things.. I am not sure I will be able to get the connection between the water-heater and the computer right, and I sure as hell am not going to invest in making a RS232 connected engine that will stir your coffee. It's just not worth it man.

gamejester
06-11-2004, 10:43 AM
Love this app, it came at just the right time for me as I am currently working in Jersey so streaming my Tivo recorded shows from my house in the UK via eTivoWeb, nice.

I am getting more and more frustrated however with TyShow failing to recognise the correct length of a show and subsequently wm9 only encoding the first x minutes of it, this seems to be happening with greater frequency now.

As such I have had to set EtivoServer to keep all TY's and then I remotely connect to my server via RDP and check each show has encoded before I delete the TY manually.

2 Questions:
1. Any chance of a new feature that can roughly check the size of an encoded show before it is deleted. ie in config file set a ratio, currently for UK TY with standard wm9 settings, 1 hour = 2.6 gig TY = 140 meg wmv, so ratio = 18.6:1, therefore if after encode the size of file < 139meg the TY is not deleted.
2. You mentioned some weeks ago that you where thinking about looking at TyShow to determine why it is failing on some shows, are you still willing to do that? If so I can supply some sample TY's with the problem, obviously these are large so some sort of cutting would have to be done around the problem area.

Keep up the good work, we all appreciate it.

Masnark
06-11-2004, 12:32 PM
2 Questions:
1. Any chance of a new feature that can roughly check the size of an encoded show before it is deleted. ie in config file set a ratio, currently for UK TY with standard wm9 settings, 1 hour = 2.6 gig TY = 140 meg wmv, so ratio = 18.6:1, therefore if after encode the size of file < 139meg the TY is not deleted.
2. You mentioned some weeks ago that you where thinking about looking at TyShow to determine why it is failing on some shows, are you still willing to do that? If so I can supply some sample TY's with the problem, obviously these are large so some sort of cutting would have to be done around the problem area.

Keep up the good work, we all appreciate it.

1. That shouldn't be too hard... But I think you are kind'a going around the issue. Are you sure it's a TY issue? If you read back in the thread, you will see a lot of people encountered this and the fix seems to be new MFSFTP binaries.

2. The only problem I have with TY show is that 2pass encoding is not working - that was the thing I was meaning to look at. But d7o (I think that's his alias) said that he's going to start working on TYShow again, so I decided to let him do his magic - you can ask him about it in his TYShow thread.

desh
06-11-2004, 02:31 PM
Gamejester,
I was having the same problem. No matter how many different binaries of mfsftp I tried I ran into problems. With one binary I would only get a partial download of the .ty file. With my latest binary I'd get the entire file, but encoding would stop at random places. I also had the same type of problems with vserver using tivowebplus. Media player would just up and quit on me at a repeatable spot in a movie. If I seeked right past that spot it would play until the next bad spot was hit.

It appears this all stems from the mfsftp (and vserver) code putting text into the stream (see this post (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=148845&postcount=578<br />).) I tried to find the code to cross compile on my linux box but I could never get it (vserver in my case) to build. I finally just went into tyshow and fixed it there. This is actually nicer because updating tyshow fixes both vserver and mfsftp. The problem ended up being tyshow wasn't ignoring bogus chunks like it should have been while parsing. Changing a return code of S_OK into a E_FAIL while validating allows TySplitter to ignore the invalid chunk and continue with the next one (instead of attempting to parse it and then bailing.)

Try putting this file into your tyshow folder and registering it with the included batch file. Hopefully it works for you.

Edit: Updated TySplitter.zip with a version that fixes both my initial problem and GameJester's problem. He was getting an invalid header which TySplitter would not ignore. Once ignored, he was able to view and encode properly.

desh
06-11-2004, 02:56 PM
This is probably an IIS problem, but hopefully someone else on this thread has run into this issue.

I'm trying to host a few movies with etivo. They were successfully downloaded and encoded using the default WmvLow encoder profile. I'm hosting them on a Windows 2003 server. The etivo website appears normally, and my 2 remote users can start the movies up. Everything works great for about 10 - 20 minutes then all of a sudden they get an error in Media Player (C00D11C0 or C00D0029). I've had them try both Media Player 8 and 9 but in each case it fails after a certain amount of time. Is this a problem with a timeout setting that I need to increase? Are there IIS logs that I can look at to gather more information?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Masnark
06-11-2004, 04:25 PM
This is probably an IIS problem, but hopefully someone else on this thread has run into this issue.

I'm trying to host a few movies with etivo. They were successfully downloaded and encoded using the default WmvLow encoder profile. I'm hosting them on a Windows 2003 server. The etivo website appears normally, and my 2 remote users can start the movies up. Everything works great for about 10 - 20 minutes then all of a sudden they get an error in Media Player (C00D11C0 or C00D0029). I've had them try both Media Player 8 and 9 but in each case it fails after a certain amount of time. Is this a problem with a timeout setting that I need to increase? Are there IIS logs that I can look at to gather more information?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1. There shouldn't be a timeout problem.. When you try to connect to it in your internal network, do you have any problems?

2. I am sure you looked up these errors. One of them seems to be that the sound-card is giving MP a hard time. The other is indeed web-problems.

3. IIS has logs. Though I am not sure you will be able to infer too much from them for this problem. You can try. Turn them on in IIS manager by going to the properties of the Web Site (default - or wherever you installed it), you have a tab called "Web Site". The bottom combobox says what type of debugging you want.

neztik
06-11-2004, 04:57 PM
I posted in error.

desh
06-11-2004, 08:07 PM
1. There shouldn't be a timeout problem.. When you try to connect to it in your internal network, do you have any problems?

2. I am sure you looked up these errors. One of them seems to be that the sound-card is giving MP a hard time. The other is indeed web-problems.

3. IIS has logs. Though I am not sure you will be able to infer too much from them for this problem. You can try. Turn them on in IIS manager by going to the properties of the Web Site (default - or wherever you installed it), you have a tab called "Web Site". The bottom combobox says what type of debugging you want.

Internally everything seems to work just fine. As you stated, one of the errors wasn't really related. I think my user got it when they upgraded media player without restarting. However, the network error is the one I'm concerned with. I've gone and looked at the httperr1.log and my webserver log. Here's what I'm seeing in the http log:

2004-06-11 23:26:08 W3SVC1 RAPTOR 192.150.23.20 GET /movies/{Red+Dragon}{2001-12-31}{}{MYST}.show/{Red+Dragon}{2001-12-31}{}{MYST}_WmvLow.wmv - 80 - 24.69.4.xxx HTTP/1.1 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+NT+5.1) ASP.NET_SessionId=mnqvelvlwflodp45h1dtuc55 - www.mydomain.net 206 0 64 0 514 670
2004-06-11 23:28:09 W3SVC1 RAPTOR 192.150.23.20 GET /movies/{Red+Dragon}{2001-12-31}{}{MYST}.show/{Red+Dragon}{2001-12-31}{}{MYST}_WmvLow.wmv - 80 - 24.69.4.xxx HTTP/1.1 NSPlayer/9.0.0.2980+WMFSDK/9.0 ASP.NET_SessionId=mnqvelvlwflodp45h1dtuc55 - www.mydomain.net 206 0 1236 4915558 411 119658

then in the error log I get:

2004-06-11 23:28:09 24.69.4.xxx 2968 192.150.23.20 80 HTTP/1.1 GET /movies/{Red+Dragon}{2001-12-31}{}{MYST}.show/{Red+Dragon}{2001-12-31}{}{MYST}_WmvLow.wmv - 1 Timer_MinBytesPerSecond

I've looked up Timer_MinBytesPerSecond on google and it appears to be a new IIS 6 setting that isn't completely baked. Supposedly they have some bugs with it that will be addressed with SP1. The bugs I read about dealt with POST, and if I understand correctly, etivo is just doing a GET. I'm now trying to work around it by changing the minimum bytes from 240 to 1. Hopefully I can get something to work here. Is anyone else using Win2003?

On a side note, have you considered using Windows Media Services (streaming media server) to allow on demand streaming instead of http?

Masnark
06-11-2004, 08:49 PM
On a side note, have you considered using Windows Media Services (streaming media server) to allow on demand streaming instead of http?

I just make WMVs - can't you just point it to them? I have been meaning to install it for a while, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

If you try it, tell me how it goes.

desh
06-12-2004, 05:12 AM
I just make WMVs - can't you just point it to them? I have been meaning to install it for a while, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

If you try it, tell me how it goes.

Well, I played around with the media server tonight. It's actually very cool. Here are some of the reasons Microsoft recommends using it over the IIS webserver, my comments are in italics:

Web Servers send as much data as quickly as possible. Streaming Servers send data at predictable rates due to larger file sizes and concurrent demand for data. Media Server also regulates the data being sent based on feedback from the player - There's some cool caching/fast start techniques that you can do with the streaming server by modifying properties with the admin panel.

Web servers do not support MBR video - This might be nice if you want a seperate bitrate for your internal network and another bitrate for remote users. From what I understand, MBR allows you to have a single media file with up to 10 different bitrates.

Web servers are not designed to send data over UDP, which is the preferred method for media

Web servers do not provide the VCR type playback function a media server does - This is the killer feature for the streaming server imo. It allows you to seek to any spot in a video as if you had a local copy. Fast forward, rewind, pause. It all worked flawlessly for me. Very cool!

All I had to do to get this up and running was install the server, then add a publishing point which just points at my c:\tivodata\ directory. I told it to include all media files in all subdirectories. Finally, I turned on both the MMS and RTSP server control protocols and that was it. I was serving up media from the streaming server.

Only one little thing stops this from working with EtiVo, the protocol scheme used in the download link. Right now you have the protocol hard coded to "http://", to get this to work with the streaming server, this would need to be configurable. Would you mind adding in another param to web.config for the protocol? The EtiVoServer param would match up with your video server name, and the RemoteDataDir would convert over to being the name of the publishing point. Here's an example of the url for a streaming media server movie:

mms://video.myserver.net/Tivo/{American Chopper}{2004-06-07}{Mikey-Vinnie Bike 1}{DSC}.show/{American Chopper}{2004-06-07}{Mikey-Vinnie Bike 1}{DSC}_WmvLow.wmv

In my web.config I'd set the following parameters:

DownloadProtocol = "mms://"
EtiVoServer = "video.myserver.net"
RemoteDataDir = "/Tivo/"

The only misleading terminology would be RemoteDataDir, which is actually the Publishing point name that you created in the Wendows Media Services admin control panel. But, other than the name being slightly misleading, it accomplishes the same thing.

You can actually stream via HTTP in the media server, but I'd run into problems with the media server and IIS both grabbing port 80. MS actually recommends using mms and rtsp over http as the protocol of choice for streaming media.

Thanks,
Desh