PDA

View Full Version : Hughes SD-DVR40 vs. HDVR2

LordRaziel
04-21-2004, 07:01 PM
I was just wanting to know what everybody thinks of these two dvr's. I was thinking I was getting the HDVR2 but ended up with a SD-DVR40. Will hacking them be the same or entirely diffrent? Any and all help would be greatly apreciated.

captain_video
04-21-2004, 07:39 PM
The HDVR2 is a non-RID unit while the SD-DVR40 is the newer RID model. The RID models have an RID (Receiver ID) chip that's been added as an extra security feature for DTV. Both models can be hacked in exactly the same way and any DTivo OS version later than 3.1.1 can be used on either model. You cannot use the 4.X OS from the S2 standalone models on an RID unit.

LordRaziel
04-21-2004, 07:47 PM
Ok keep in mind I am new to this but should I leave the phone line unhooked if I hack the tivo?

LordRaziel
04-23-2004, 10:51 AM
I got a backup file of a hacked hdvr2 from a buddy of mine and I was just wanting to know if it would be ok to write it to a drive and put it in my sd-dvr40? Also I read on some other threads that you don't wanna hook up the phone line so your mod won't get over wrote with one from tivo but I still wanna be able to buy ppv movies and stuff. One last thing. I read somewhere on a thread that you can give your tivo caller-id with a program. Is this true and if so where might I find it at?

PlainBill
04-23-2004, 11:19 AM
I got a backup file of a hacked hdvr2 from a buddy of mine and I was just wanting to know if it would be ok to write it to a drive and put it in my sd-dvr40? Also I read on some other threads that you don't wanna hook up the phone line so your mod won't get over wrote with one from tivo but I still wanna be able to buy ppv movies and stuff. One last thing. I read somewhere on a thread that you can give your tivo caller-id with a program. Is this true and if so where might I find it at?

You'd be better off using Sleeper's TiVoScripts to hack the drive.
For caller ID, search on 'elseed'.

PlainBill

jasch
04-23-2004, 11:41 AM
The problem with hooking up the phone line for caller id, is that at some point your receiver *might* want to call home, if the hacks are not properly installed...

You should make sure your dialing options are misconfigured, so a call does not go through....

If you still let your unit call in (for ordering PPVs for example), if you have an image that does not correspond to your unit (different serial or model number), your *might* flag their systems and your account could be closed.

If you still want to order PPV's, use their Internet site. It works just as well.

(please note I used *might* on all my comments) :)

LordRaziel
04-23-2004, 11:45 AM
If you still want to order PPV's, use their Internet site. It works just as well.

I had forgot about being able to order ppv on the net. I was thinking about the 5 buck fee they charge for calling it in.

Thanks for reminding me. :D

PlainBill
04-23-2004, 05:16 PM
The problem with hooking up the phone line for caller id, is that at some point your receiver *might* want to call home, if the hacks are not properly installed...

You should make sure your dialing options are misconfigured, so a call does not go through....

If you still let your unit call in (for ordering PPVs for example), if you have an image that does not correspond to your unit (different serial or model number), your *might* flag their systems and your account could be closed.

The serial number is not stored on the hard drive, so that's no problem. Model number not matching serial number MIGHT trigger something.

PlainBill

jasch
04-23-2004, 06:41 PM
My 3.1.1c image clearly shows a wrong make, model and serial number... (at least the serial number does not coincide with my units serial numer)

PlainBill
04-23-2004, 07:17 PM
My 3.1.1c image clearly shows a wrong make, model and serial number... (at least the serial number does not coincide with my units serial numer)

Perhaps I should have said Service number. The Serial number appears to be derived from the Service number. I have had several images on my system. The make and model number changes, depending on the source of the image. The Service number had never changed, matching the number on the back of the case. The last six digits of the service and serial number are identical, the serial number has never changed (but does not appear anywhere on the case).

PlainBill

malfunct
04-23-2004, 08:58 PM

A clear and delete everything may clear up the issue, though you know the disadvantages to that.

captain_video
04-23-2004, 08:59 PM
Do a Clear & Delete Everything and the Tivo Service Number info will get refreshed to where it matches what's on the Tivo.