PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet enabled DVD players... Any advice?

jdiner
04-22-2004, 01:44 PM
A friend of mine is an old TyTool user and is looking at getting something like one of these. Several have posted here about the Gateway box working well etc...

He would also like one that is capable of playing Divx or other forms of mpg-4 media...

I was just wondering about this whole thing in general. Is this something anyone here has any experience with? The key at this point is playing output from TyTool but the more options the better...

--jdiner

eastwind
04-22-2004, 04:36 PM
Do you want an appliance or a computer? I've heard that a modded XBOX can handle all of that and more.
ew

cojonesdetoro
04-22-2004, 05:16 PM
I was looking at the modded XBOX approach. It's a bit expensive but might be well worth it.

Here's my breakdown of the costs:

Used Xbox $130 (+shipping)
Mod Chip installed
by someone that won't destroy it $80 (I don't solder)(+shipping)
Switch to allow eanble X-Box live $20
install supplied HD and install emulators and ROMS (10,000 games!) $20
Get wireless Mouse and Keyb for Xbox ??

The mod services are supplied by another forum member who seems honest and has some references but there is still the risk of a ripoff. Not sure how to quantify that in $.

goatboy22382
04-22-2004, 06:38 PM
I have a modded xbox, if you installed the chip yourself with pogo pins you could save 60 bucks and it is really much easier than hacking a tivo. check out www.xbox-scene.com

malfunct
04-22-2004, 07:08 PM
A friend of mine is an old TyTool user and is looking at getting something like one of these. Several have posted here about the Gateway box working well etc...

He would also like one that is capable of playing Divx or other forms of mpg-4 media...

I was just wondering about this whole thing in general. Is this something anyone here has any experience with? The key at this point is playing output from TyTool but the more options the better...

--jdiner

You could go homebrew for this project really easy. Get a micro-atx mobo (lots of them on the market now and most very good) with decent sound. Pop in a nice video card with TV-out, slap in dvd-rom drive. Most come with ethernet on the mobo for networking. I think you could get a basic one up and running for $300 and a super duper one for like $600 and since you know whats in it (software and hardware) it can do anything you choose.

jdiner
04-22-2004, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. But in this case what was desired was an appliance. The simplicity of a DVD player combined with just a few extra features.

But then again after just talking with him it sounds like an HTPC might be more what he was looking for. Will have to mention the XBOX option to him.

--jdiner

wkozun
04-22-2004, 11:18 PM
I have the Gateway and I am quite happy with it. It works with Divx as the transcoding is done on the PC side. It also works with MPEG, including files made from an excellent program you may have head of called TyTools. :)

Unfortunately I have not been successful in getting Ty files to play - theoretically you would think this should work as long as TyShow is running on your PC but the Server software won't index ty files for me.

StephenR
04-23-2004, 08:17 AM
Many people speak well of the Kiss players (DP-500 and DP 1500). I have been tempted but havn't got one yet so I can't say for sure how good they are.

One advantage they have over some of the competition is that they can decode DivX natively. They run a variant of Linux (uClinux I think) on the Sigma designs decoder chip which has an ARM core.

I think that there are about to be a whole raft of similar products by the likes of Linksys/DLink/ Sonic Blue using the newest version of the Sigma chip so it might be worth holding on for a few months.

If you just want to be able to play Mpegs (without AC3) from a central server (i.e. with no local DVD player) , you might want to have a look at the Hauppauge Media MVP?
Hauppauge's software is pants but the system is 'fairly?' open running Linux on a PPC core chip from IBM which also does all the MPEG decoding. I have been playing with one of these for a few months and like it alot. I have hacked up a few apps to allow streaming of data from the Tivo to the box and it works very well indead.

Advantages over the XBox:
Cheaper ($89 ish) all in.
Fanless (totally quiet)/small/very low power
No need for mods

Dis Advantages over the XBox:
Not nearly as powerful.
No posibility of local DVD eg
No local HD (remote boots over network)

By the way.
Thanks very much for all the work on your fantastic extraction tools etc.

Stephen

bato
04-23-2004, 09:18 AM
Dis Advantages over the XBox:
Not nearly as powerful.
No posibility of local DVD eg
No local HD (remote boots over network)

Can't play games :)