PDA

View Full Version : .ty playback on Mac. Is it possible?

tivoKlr
04-23-2004, 01:23 PM
I am looking for an app/codec/whatever to playback .ty files on my mac without reencoding them or muxing them into mpg2 files.

I can stream them to my xbox and play them in the xbox media center, which is awesome, but I'd love to be able to just open up a show in OS X and just watch it back here on the computer without having to mess with it first.

Any ideas? I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for.

eobiont
04-23-2004, 11:04 PM
I think I have done this with a mplayer version that had the ty codec compiled in. In fact I'm sure of it but I don't think it was from the .ty file, but rather it played as it was streaming off the tivo. If it could play the streaming file as it downloaded though it ought to be able to play the .ty file as well. You gotta have OS X though. No OS 9 that I know of. Search back through the threads for mplayer and ty

Totally unrelated to any of this... I was over at avsforum and read that currently the only way to record HDTV from a cable box (so like HBO) is either with a d-VHS or a - wait for it.... Macintosh. No was to do that with a PC (you can record over the air signals with a PC, but not from a set top box) So suck on that.

AlphaWolf
04-24-2004, 12:12 AM
You can record analog HDTV on a PC, theres an ATI card that does it, can't remember the name though. Its one of the newest all in wonder series.

EDIT: ah, here it is: http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=331&catid=2

tivoKlr
04-25-2004, 02:52 AM
Subject says it all. mplayer plays them perfectly.

Thanks!

eobiont
04-25-2004, 12:02 PM
I know. That ATI all-in-wonder HDTV add-on card (it must be coupled with a Radeon 9500 or better) looks awsome, but it will only record over-the-air HD. You're not going to be recording the Sopranos with it.

I've done some more research, and found that MS has released a DDK for doing the needed things on the PC so that you can turn a PC into a D-VHS type device with a firewire cable and some very early beta (alpha?) software.