PDA

View Full Version : TyTool 9r14 - Extraction/Frame Accurate Editing/DVD output...

Pages : [1] 2 3

jdiner
04-24-2004, 03:01 AM
Alright. The rules in this thread are the same as the last one for my tools. A great many things have been updated recently. And there are some pretty sweet features coming in the near future. But as always it is best to start with a charter for this thread.

Just like before these are rules for this thread, not the forum. If you want to discuss things deemed off limits here make your own threads and set your own rules. But if you decide to participate here then please follow the guidelines.

So the rules for this thread are:

1- NO FLAMES AND NO ARGUMENTS... I am through trying to be nice on this as it just plain does not work. I will without reservation delete anything that shows up here that could be considered either of the above. Enough is enough.

2- It has become clear that we have 2 distinct camps with zealots in both. Fine. Use my stuff. Use Olaf's. I couldn't care less. Many of us got dragged into a war we didn't know we were supposed to be involved in... So a new rule. We discuss ONLY my own tools here... Leave the rest in their own threads! This is not intended to be an attack but rather to stop them. You don't like me. Fine. You don't like my tools fine. You don't like those that use them. You're an ***** but fine for hating people you have never ever met so just go somewhere else.

3- NO ADVERTISING FOR OTHER TOOLS. Again this thread is again about Vsplit/TyTool. If you have something cool to use in place of or even with them the take it to a different thread. Any post by anyone about "you really should use X instead..." is gone the moment I or some of other mods see it.

This is still an open forum. Create your own thread and have at it. But such posts are entirely unwelcome here.

4- Feel free to discuss various OS/wishes/desires/etc.... At some point we should support as much as is possible.

5- Feel free to ask for features but be aware that I am making no promises except to work on things in general... I mean it. Ask. But don't hound me or anyone else, that accomplishes nothing. If you think of something that would be cool let me know. I will add it to the list.

6- I suppose I should say it... I reserve the right to disappear at any time. Just like you do. When life interferes hobbies get put on hold. Having said that it will be obvious when you look at the new toolset that I have been putting in a great deal of time on it. Hope that it helps every do what they want to with their Tivos...

7- Keep DVDLab, tmpgenc et all to a dull roar in here please. It might be better say that we are now 3 camps. TyTool, TyStudio, and TyTool with the output being used elsewhere. I don't mind the occasional this works with DVDLab/Tmpgenc etc... in reference to a problem someone asks about. But in the last while it has felt like we had dropped to advertising again. Please don't do that. There are a number of very good DVDLab threads here on the forum to do that kind of thing etc...

An important note!

Several of these programs require the cygwin1.dll to run. Some of the tools in the TyTool release, mpeg2enc and dvdauthor most notably, were compiled with the cygwin cross compiler. To run these require the presence of the cygwin1,.dll file. This file is huge and seems to get larger all of the time. There is no need to download a new copy of this file everytime. While it does change it is not that frequent. So please download the zip for it from here in this post or else grab it from the homepage: www.cygwin.com (http://www.cygwin.com)

Again, if you try to use the Frame Accurate Editing or DVD features of TyTool this dll is required. If you see a major popup window when trying you are missing the dll. Please unpack the DLL into the same directory as the rest of the TyTool files and executables.

--jdiner

jdiner
04-24-2004, 03:06 AM
TyTool 9r14 with DVD Support. The attachment has the new versions of the tooset in it. All DVD extras and tserver versions are found within it. VSplit has not been updated to match this release. Although an update for it is planned in the near future.

Version 9 is a major upgrade from the earlier 8 series of TyTool. It adds Frame/Field Accurate Editing (FAE) to the mix.

Please check the included docs for information about it. The release notes for 9r1 up to the current as each contains detailed informtion about the FAE editing process and other changes.

Highlights of the Fixes and Features in this Release:

42- Added the Delete code into TyTool for cleaning up an existing DVD filesets.

164- Fix the start & end cut points to check to make sure the end is "after" the start. Just a simple fix to try and keep the editing working more smoothly.

206- Make the attach vob use a new dialog with a listbox, so we can have more than 1 at a time.

235- Force a check to make sure that none of the chapters are within a section where a cut has occured. Again just try to make editing a bit more smoothly.

281- Add a help popup to GopEditor for what keys do what. Just trying to make it easier for new users.

282- Added an about with a copyright notice to TyTool. An attempt to stop people from selling it on EBay etc...

283- Add a simple help page to TyTool. (Getting started info.) Not a network-based FAQ but something local.

285- Check the font setting in the template loading code. Some where having problems. Could not reduplicate any errors.

287- Fix the "missing" entries in NowShowing. We need to get good data so that people sorting and using a way out of date NowShowing.tcl will not get crashes etc...

298- Put in a check to see if there is something in the DVD output directory. Warn/erase if there is.

308- Make a simple network test and let's see if we can drive 2 sockets faster than one... Amazingly enough no. Just trying to use the networking with no extraction and we get exactly 1/2 of full speed on each one.

316- Add an overlap detector and don't allow it. Yet another editing check to make sure that 2 cuts can't overlap.

317- Added a jpeg decoder. You can now use BMPs or JPGs as the background image for the menu. Sadly the it adds 30k to the size of TyTool but it was something that many wanted so there you go.

319- Tested the Image quality of the JPGs. Looks great. Well probably good enough for everyone but FredThompson. :)

324- Fix the rendering of the GopEditor when the size is really really off. Forgot to put a few things into the resize code. So they never moved.

325- Tried to fix the "locked" dir when TyTool is making an IFO. Couldn't find anything that was being left locked. So for now considering it fixed...

330- Added the multiple attach vob feature to the menu dialog. Changed the old process. You now get a new window where you can add, remove, and order the vobs.

331- Finish adding the JPEG support to loading of menu images. Oooppps. Major memory leak going on there. Fixed and running smoothly now.

335- Added the Free Space/Total Space Used display to TyTool for the local dir in use to the main TyTool interface window.

336- Add a "total size" for the VOB-list in the picker for Making an IFO. Shows how big the selected VOB files are to be able to more easily guage how much will fit. For those using dvdshrink or rejig or whatever you are on your own to figure out what boundaries are best for you.

337- Threaded the download of the NowShowing data so that it does not lock the main TyTool GUI any longer.

338- Put in an "only for so long" wait in the tserver start code. This way it will time out and not lock forever waiting for the telnet prompt...

345- Fixed the label on the call for making the DVD. It said VOB-Mux.

346- Fixed the "multiple VOBs" chaptering issues. You now get a completely seperate chapter list "-c" statment for each VOB in the final output.

347- Added the "a DVD exists here" MessageBox to the menu generation code. You can now stop the process at that point or delete and just keep right on going.

349- Fix the bytes vs. kbytes issue in the NowShowing download report. This was just a bad label but it has still been fixed.

350- Put a text element on the TyTool GUI for the free drive space. Used to be a menu option, but now it is on the GUI all the time.

357- Fix the cleanup delete code to only delete certain files not wildcard everything "just in case". Really did not want to wipe out files that were wanted.

From the TyTool9r13 a-c releases:

The ability to start and stop the server from within TyTool. With better support for setting the prompt within TyTool.

I have not yet gotten around to looking at the currently bad TyStreams from a few users. That was next on the list but I wanted to get these new fixes released before it went on any longer.

--jdiner

jdiner
04-24-2004, 03:07 AM
These aren't here yet. Just a place hold for future releases.

--jdiner

FredThompson
04-24-2004, 03:34 AM
sez it all

319 - phfbfbfbfhththththtttt!!!!

jdiner
04-24-2004, 03:45 AM
One thought as people get ready to re-download things....

Most of the settings you make in TyTool that get kept are in the TyTool.ini file. If you keep this file from installation to installation rather than over-writing it you DO NOT have to keep reseting your settings each time.

If you install into the same directory then you have to manually have a copy elsewhere. If you put it into a new directory each time, i.e. one that reflects the version number, then just copy the file around.

TyTool is smart enough to fill in any missing config options and they will be present after the first run of the new version with whatever new settings you have selected.

--jdiner

bluedog68
04-24-2004, 09:48 AM
I really like the Extra VOB feature. This makes the "no menu" option unnecessary; for me at least. I did find that if there is a ";" in the VOB title, the IFO creation step will not include that item. I don't know if other special characters have that effect. Obviously the work around is quite simple.

Thanks for all the hard work!!!

jdiner
04-24-2004, 12:13 PM
I really like the Extra VOB feature. This makes the "no menu" option unnecessary; for me at least. I did find that if there is a ";" in the VOB title, the IFO creation step will not include that item. I don't know if other special characters have that effect. Obviously the work around is quite simple.
What part are you considering the VOB title? The ; character is no supposed to be a legal file name character. Oh man. It was a bit to late obviously is it the ":" character that should be used as the seperator and I used ";". I will have to fix that.

--jdiner

jdiner
04-24-2004, 12:20 PM
Alright that is fixed. I will wait on the release to see what else bubbles to the surface before making the next release.

--jdiner

bmm64
04-24-2004, 01:05 PM
I've only tried 9r13 and 9r14, but in both I get the dreaded

"Temporal References in GOP #0 are out of sequence"

error when importing into DVDMaestro. If I use 8r4 to download the same show, it'll work every time just fine.

Is this a known thing in 9 and I should just continue to use release 8???

tytool.ini was copied from release 8
ADDR:192.168.2.11
LOCALIP:192.168.2.51
LDIR:F:\tivo\ToProcess
DVDDIR:J:\VOUT
OUTDIR:F:\tivo\ToProcess\
MODE:VSPLIT
NET:NEW
MUX:STD
ULEAD:OFF
PATCHAUDIO:ON
GOPPOPUP:OFF
TRANSCODE:0

OutlawPro
04-24-2004, 01:54 PM
With 9r14 I'm getting "We need to do some rebuilding here!" when I multiplex (using both the old and the new method). The resulting mpg crashes Nero Showtime (not at a cut) and has no video in WMP9 (has audio and doesn't crash, just get a black screen though). Went back to 9r13a and everything works fine again.

jdiner
04-24-2004, 04:54 PM
I've only tried 9r13 and 9r14, but in both I get the dreaded

"Temporal References in GOP #0 are out of sequence"

error when importing into DVDMaestro. If I use 8r4 to download the same show, it'll work every time just fine.

Is this a known thing in 9 and I should just continue to use release 8???

tytool.ini was copied from release 8
ADDR:192.168.2.11
LOCALIP:192.168.2.51
LDIR:F:\tivo\ToProcess
DVDDIR:J:\VOUT
OUTDIR:F:\tivo\ToProcess\
MODE:VSPLIT
NET:NEW
MUX:STD
ULEAD:OFF
PATCHAUDIO:ON
GOPPOPUP:OFF
TRANSCODE:0

It isn't designed to work with Maestro. Never has been. If you had it working before you were just getting lucky. Continueing to use 8 might improve your chances and it might not.

Look at the menu creation stuff bundled into TyTool. It will always work without the need to mess around with changing resolutions and other things needed to get maestro to work.

--jdiner

jdiner
04-24-2004, 04:57 PM
With 9r14 I'm getting "We need to do some rebuilding here!" when I multiplex (using both the old and the new method). The resulting mpg crashes Nero Showtime (not at a cut) and has no video in WMP9 (has audio and doesn't crash, just get a black screen though). Went back to 9r13a and everything works fine again.
Oh crap!

That can only happen in the new muxer code as that is where the check is but will happen in both MPG and VOB modes.

It was a half done change/fix/alteration. I thought I had pulled it out but in looking at the code again just now the answer is no it isn't fixed.

Can you cut a small segment that shows that error? part of why it was not done is that I could not find a way to make it happen here. It is just how data lines up...

If I can get one that shows it then I can hopefully get things working better with some of the other players out there.

--jdiner

OutlawPro
04-24-2004, 09:00 PM
Sure, I'll try to get something for you to download tonight. Do you need something with just the errors in creating or something up to when it crashes Nero Showtime?

PS. You are right, only happens with the new muxer. I must have inadvertently selected it again when I thought I was picking the old way during my tests.

OutlawPro
04-24-2004, 10:52 PM
PS. You are right, only happens with the new muxer. I must have inadvertently selected it again when I thought I was picking the old way during my tests.

Hmm...actually. If you start muxing the file with the new muxer, hit "Abort", and then try to mux with the old muxer, you get the same errors. The only way for the old muxer to work is to restart TyTool and use the old muxer first. Maybe there is some flag that is not getting reset when you abort, so it tries to use the new muxer the second time even if you select the old muxer?

jdiner
04-25-2004, 01:40 AM
Hmm...actually. If you start muxing the file with the new muxer, hit "Abort", and then try to mux with the old muxer, you get the same errors. The only way for the old muxer to work is to restart TyTool and use the old muxer first. Maybe there is some flag that is not getting reset when you abort, so it tries to use the new muxer the second time even if you select the old muxer?
Quote probably. It was never designed to be used as it is in there now. It was supposed to be an option. My best guess is that I am not reseting the flag when you try to switch back. It should... I guess I just never got that far.

--jdiner

edy
04-25-2004, 02:45 AM
I'm curious, will TyTool ever have the ability to play at normal speed with sound, even if just for [FG]AE cuts? There's a few shows that I've edited where there is a black screen but there is still some audio that is leading out, I'd be nice to be able to hear it or have some sort of VU meter that says 'there's still sound here'.

malfunct
04-25-2004, 02:47 AM
I'm curious, will TyTool ever have the ability to play at normal speed with sound, even if just for [FG]AE cuts? There's a few shows that I've edited where there is a black screen but there is still some audio that is leading out, I'd be nice to be able to hear it or have some sort of VU meter that says 'there's still sound here'.

JDiner has mentioned this sort of thing but doesn't seem to have found a way that he likes to present the information. I'd say give it time, he wants some sort of feature like that for his personal use, so that makes it fairly likely it will happen.

edy
04-25-2004, 02:57 AM
That'd be awesome!

I guess I'll just have to stay tuned and see what happens. Great program though!

firemunky
04-25-2004, 09:27 AM
Just a question about subject option. Cool addition...would save me a few key strokes, but can't seem to get it to work.
my DTIVO has DNS name tivo and i have made an additional start file to get tyserver going.
When i tried from within tytool instead, the pop up says 'connecting to tivo....connected" but then times out saying it never got a telnet answer.

deeder
04-25-2004, 10:37 AM
I have just installed a 120 Gig HD in my Direct TV SD-DVR40 and used Sleepers ISO. I am using a Linksys g wireless Hub for my home network, and on the back of the Tivo a Linksys USB200M. All the light on the hub seem to be showing that the TiVo is connected, and when I go to my PC I can ping the IP address that I put into Sleepers ISO.
I seem to ping OK.

But at the Hub it does not show it under the DHCP Clients Table.

Then trying the Tytools9r14 I get the message.
Trancode Selected Mode: 0
Ready...
Reading list from the server...
Clear Now Showing List...
Connecting to '192.168.1.112'
ERROR: Failed to Connect!

Could some one help please.

malfunct
04-25-2004, 02:36 PM
Just a question about subject option. Cool addition...would save me a few key strokes, but can't seem to get it to work.
my DTIVO has DNS name tivo and i have made an additional start file to get tyserver going.
When i tried from within tytool instead, the pop up says 'connecting to tivo....connected" but then times out saying it never got a telnet answer.

What is your tivo prompt? It sounds like you haven't set your prompt (get at least 9r13c) and the procedure is stuck waiting for a default prompt that will never come.

malfunct
04-25-2004, 02:38 PM
I have just installed a 120 Gig HD in my Direct TV SD-DVR40 and used Sleepers ISO. I am using a Linksys g wireless Hub for my home network, and on the back of the Tivo a Linksys USB200M. All the light on the hub seem to be showing that the TiVo is connected, and when I go to my PC I can ping the IP address that I put into Sleepers ISO.
I seem to ping OK.

But at the Hub it does not show it under the DHCP Clients Table.

Then trying the Tytools9r14 I get the message.
Trancode Selected Mode: 0
Ready...
Reading list from the server...
Clear Now Showing List...
Connecting to '192.168.1.112'
ERROR: Failed to Connect!

Could some one help please.

You are mixing together two issues here. First its fine that the tivo isn't on the DHCP table because it shouldn't be since you assigned it a static IP.

Second you need to execute tserver on the tivo in order for TyTool to have anything to connect to. Refer to the FAQ on tytool.com for information on starting tserver.

malfunct
04-25-2004, 02:40 PM
That'd be awesome!

I guess I'll just have to stay tuned and see what happens. Great program though!

Just be patient (it looks like you are so no worries) because some things take a while. JDiner is a busy man and its amazing just how much he gets done on this hobby project in his free time.

malfunct
04-25-2004, 02:59 PM
Just looking into making updates to the FAQ for 9r14 and was wondering why someone would want to use Attach vob and what it does. I think I know but just want better information.

FredThompson
04-25-2004, 03:08 PM
Sometimes the entire "show" isn't in one vob. I've taken the intro from one recording and joined it to the body of another to make a complete segment. Wish it would support appending more than 1... This feeds 2 VOBs to the IFO creation process resulting in one com bined VOB.

malfunct
04-25-2004, 03:14 PM
Sometimes the entire "show" isn't in one vob. I've taken the intro from one recording and joined it to the body of another to make a complete segment. Wish it would support appending more than 1... This feeds 2 VOBs to the IFO creation process resulting in one com bined VOB.

Good, thats what I figured but you put it into words better than I was.

jdiner
04-25-2004, 03:17 PM
Look at the release notes for the latest version. It now supported an unlimited number of them for attachment. Well for all practical purposes anyway. Since the listbox is used to control the entries you get that as a limiting factor etc... For all practialy purposes I have had 20+ attachments in a single one now.

--jdiner

jdiner
04-25-2004, 03:24 PM
Just looking into making updates to the FAQ for 9r14 and was wondering why someone would want to use Attach vob and what it does. I think I know but just want better information.

For general information and for the FAQ in whatever way works best:

The key here is what the process is for TyTool.

TyTool is not a generic DVD system. It is really pretty focused. If you like that focus then you can do things quickly and with great ease for those that don't like a truly generic system like DVDLab is probably better.

Originally in TyTool the premise was take one or more vobs and make a Menu for it and then generate a DVD Fileset for it. So 1 vob meant 1 menu item and 4 VOBs meant 4 menu items. However over time it became clear that at times it is not a 1 to 1 relationship. At times it was necessary to put "pieces" together to make a full show. You can get these pieces for any number reasons: Lean-in part of another recording, several damaged streams being cut together to make 1, unrelated materials that you want put together under 1 menu entry (music videos, commercials, etc...).

So some time ago TyTool was expanded to support the idea of a "main" vob which comes first in the output, and then an attached VOB which was "added" to the end. But only 1 was allowed. I had never tried to make parts from more than 2 source VOB files.

Recently to increase the functionality of the whole thing this was changed and support was added for putting as many VOB pieces as desired into 1 entry and also for being able to order these pieces as desired in multiple passes. I.e. it is possible to add 2 pieces and then go back and add a 3rd and re-order the list to get them into the correct order.

--jdiner

OutlawPro
04-25-2004, 06:37 PM
Can you cut a small segment that shows that error? part of why it was not done is that I could not find a way to make it happen here. It is just how data lines up...

Check your PM's. I've sent you a link to download a segment. Let me know if there's anything else I can send you.

jdiner
04-25-2004, 06:43 PM
Check your PM's. I've sent you a link to download a segment. Let me know if there's anything else I can send you.
I downloaded it last night. I have just not had the desire to dig into this so far today.

--jdiner

jdiner
04-25-2004, 06:51 PM
Woah. I just downloaded the latest version of Media Player. What a pile of trash. Why does anyone try to use that thing?

I could not get it to get rid of the massive borders it wanted to put on the tool itself. No longer a way to go back to the old interface. It kept shrinking the display size of the AVI I was trying to play. And best of all while just playing a few straight WMA files I had it crash 3 times in 4 attempts to play the file.

More than anything this means that I am not going to persue fixing playback for the piece of trash. Even if I got everything perfected odds are it would still crash continuously.

--jdiner

jdiner
04-25-2004, 06:59 PM
Alright I just tried it. Not happening here. I am not surprised by that. That issue only arises when line up pretty much perfectly. Since you cut the first 800 chunks off things are now lining up differently. I am going through my TyStream files now looking for one that causes it to happen here.

Hang onto that file.

--jdiner

malfunct
04-25-2004, 07:05 PM
I could not get it to get rid of the massive borders it wanted to put on the tool itself. No longer a way to go back to the old interface. It kept shrinking the display size of the AVI I was trying to play. And best of all while just playing a few straight WMA files I had it crash 3 times in 4 attempts to play the file.

I find it incredibly useless for playback of video, but there are vast improvements in the playback of audio. Also there were big improvements in the organization of clips and stuff like that. Its also better integrated with the online things microsoft is pursing.

Unfortunately I think that you are not the target audience of the player, that may be a bad decision, I guess we will see. Like I said I don't use it to play video because it sucks so bad at it.

I have no argument with you not fixing your mpeg output to run in the player, though I have a feeling as you discover whats making codecs in general dislike your mpegs that WMP support will fall out of it. I say don't worry about it though.

OutlawPro
04-25-2004, 09:34 PM
Alright I just tried it. Not happening here. I am not surprised by that. That issue only arises when line up pretty much perfectly. Since you cut the first 800 chunks off things are now lining up differently. I am going through my TyStream files now looking for one that causes it to happen here.

Hang onto that file.

--jdiner

I had to delete the full file for space reasons. However, if you want, I can mail you a DVD with the next full file that has the problem. It should only take me a days worth of recording to come across another one since it seems like every show I pulled off with 9R14 experienced it.

OutlawPro
04-25-2004, 09:55 PM
Woah. I just downloaded the latest version of Media Player. What a pile of trash. Why does anyone try to use that thing?

More than anything this means that I am not going to persue fixing playback for the piece of trash. Even if I got everything perfected odds are it would still crash continuously.

--jdiner

Crashing aside (it definately happens more than it should) the other problems you are experiencing are just configuration issues. If you want it to look like the old WMP, go to "Skin Mode" and pick the "Classic" skin. I like "Coporate" myself. Also do View -> Video Size - 100%. I turn off "Fit Video To Player On Resize" and "Fit Player To Video On Start" in that same menu. I agree though, it's not one of the best players out there. The WMV9 encoder is probably the best encoder out there right now though. Nothing beats it for streaming over the Internet for sure. Quality wise per size, it beats mpeg2 hands down and runs a constant neck and neck race with Xvid and Divx. Add that to the fact it's part of the DVD-HD spec, there will be no getting away from it.

jdiner
04-26-2004, 12:40 AM
I just wish it was more stable. I looked at the time for the option you mentioned. But I have already uninstalled it. I have little patience for software that poorly written.

Having said that I have a number of AVIs from various sources that I play with the old version. The 6.X version of it I am using is simple but extremely robust. Proof that MS can do it right but for some reason isn't right now.

On one of my other machines I upgraded to 7.X and it worked for the install but only sort of and it smashed the files needed for upgrade/repair/removal. Crashes the uninstaller before anything is actually done.

Some will disagree, but I have little appriciation for that program in any of the new versions. That has nothing to do with the codecs themselves but rather with the tools usability.

--jdiner

jdiner
04-26-2004, 12:42 AM
I had to delete the full file for space reasons. However, if you want, I can mail you a DVD with the next full file that has the problem. It should only take me a days worth of recording to come across another one since it seems like every show I pulled off with 9R14 experienced it.
See that amazed me. Seriously amazes me. I just processed to VOBs 114 1-hour Tystreams. I did not have it happen once.

Honestly the reason I had thought it was pulled is that it has never once shown up here. The fact that is it for you is pure dumb luck. But I will take it. Because I need a file to test with. I was in the process of looking at making bad files manually to try and make it happen.

--jdiner

firemunky
04-26-2004, 08:20 AM
What is your tivo prompt? It sounds like you haven't set your prompt (get at least 9r13c) and the procedure is stuck waiting for a default prompt that will never come.

I wasn't sure what to put there.
When I telnet to the tivo the first prompt I get is: tivo:/var/tmp$

I put tivo: as the prompt and now it's communicating with it at least. I'll reboot the unit and try it now. This will be great for my brother who is let's say less than savy!
Thanks!

malfunct
04-26-2004, 09:20 AM
I wasn't sure what to put there.
When I telnet to the tivo the first prompt I get is: tivo:/var/tmp$

I put tivo: as the prompt and now it's communicating with it at least. I'll reboot the unit and try it now. This will be great for my brother who is let's say less than savy!
Thanks!

As the FAQ says you put in a substring of your prompt. I put $ (my prompt is the same as yours) but tivo: is equally valid as is any other substring of the prompt. Just make sure its something that comes up the same every time you boot, /var/tmp is not a good candidate because it may be very unlikey (near to impossible) but you might start up in a different path than tmp.

BubbleLamp
04-26-2004, 12:24 PM
The Free Space doesn't change if you switch to a different drive unless you stop and restart TyTool.

jdiner
04-26-2004, 12:54 PM
The Free Space doesn't change if you switch to a different drive unless you stop and restart TyTool.
No it is updated only when activity to the drive, most noteably, a download takes place. I din't tie it into the local dir selector or to the text field. I suppose I could but I was trying not to eat CPU cycles with a timer etc... but to only process when something has changed. But a change to the output directory really should be enough.

--jdiner

malfunct
04-26-2004, 01:29 PM
No it is updated only when activity to the drive, most noteably, a download takes place. I din't tie it into the local dir selector or to the text field. I suppose I could but I was trying not to eat CPU cycles with a timer etc... but to only process when something has changed. But a change to the output directory really should be enough.

--jdiner

You should be able to hook an OS event to see when that folder's free space changes shouldn't you? That shouldn't eat too many cycles.

BubbleLamp
04-26-2004, 03:44 PM
You should be able to hook an OS event to see when that folder's free space changes shouldn't you? That shouldn't eat too many cycles.
I'd worry that approach would eat more, since almost anything could trigger a change. Using the change dir to refresh seems like the simplest. Again, it's no big deal, I'd put it way down on the to-do list, far below the vsplit update. :D

(You knew I wouldn't let you forget that Josh.) ;)

malfunct
04-26-2004, 05:04 PM
I'd worry that approach would eat more, since almost anything could trigger a change. Using the change dir to refresh seems like the simplest. Again, it's no big deal, I'd put it way down on the to-do list, far below the vsplit update. :D

(You knew I wouldn't let you forget that Josh.) ;)

I figure its pretty cheap since the standard file dialog uses it as does any explorer window and I don't notice any appreciable lag due to the updates. Maybe they poll but I was sure it was event driven.

FredThompson
04-26-2004, 05:48 PM
The WMV9 encoder is probably the best encoder out there right now though.Not according to the tests of the A/V hackers. Look at doom9, everwicked, etc. People who get paid to carry M$ advertising like WMV9, though.
Nothing beats it for streaming over the Internet for sure. Quality wise per size, it beats mpeg2 hands down and runs a constant neck and neck race with Xvid and Divx.Depends on the nature of the video source...
Add that to the fact it's part of the DVD-HD spec, there will be no getting away from it.Not yet it isn't. M$ is trying to buy their way in to force the format. Don't forget the DRM lockdown and proprietary licensing which attempts to gain ownership of the content for M$...

BubbleLamp
04-26-2004, 06:00 PM
I figure its pretty cheap since the standard file dialog uses it as does any explorer window and I don't notice any appreciable lag due to the updates. Maybe they poll but I was sure it was event driven.
I'll defer to your superior knowledge, I'm not a programmer.

OutlawPro
04-26-2004, 06:09 PM
See that amazed me. Seriously amazes me. I just processed to VOBs 114 1-hour Tystreams. I did not have it happen once.

Honestly the reason I had thought it was pulled is that it has never once shown up here. The fact that is it for you is pure dumb luck. But I will take it. Because I need a file to test with. I was in the process of looking at making bad files manually to try and make it happen.

--jdiner

Told you it wouldn't take long. :) The first show of the day has the problem. Shoot me a PM of where to send to and I'll get it out to you tomorrow.

OutlawPro
04-26-2004, 06:31 PM
Nevermind. In the spirit of keeping the thread on topic and me remembering that I have nothing to prove and best of all nobody really cares, I've deleted what I had to say. Just remember that everything you think is your own opinion and that it might not agree with the person sitting next to you. But that diversity is what keeps the world going around.

BubbleLamp
04-26-2004, 06:52 PM
BTW... spelling Microsoft with the M$ just annoys me to all ends of the earth and back. We live in one of the only countries that don't applaud a company for starting from nothing and becoming successful. Instead we try to find ways to tear it down and make it not so successful. If it were a company in Japan or someplace else, they would be get a pat on the back and told nice job. Last time I checked, the goal of a company is to make money.
Even if that company used many quasi-legal or unethical means to get there? I'm all for good companies getting their rewards. I don't like companies that use the "anything we can get away with" mode to succeed. And yes, I do have first hand experience seeing that in action.

jdiner
04-26-2004, 07:58 PM
Actually in this case it is incredibly expensive. It is a COM based feature and it I am using neither COM nor MFC. The cost of adding those to the exe is prohibitive.

There are better ways to go about it. A standard Timer event would be far less costly.

--jdiner

modistru
04-26-2004, 08:39 PM
... or you could just refresh the static field upon return from the directory navigation dialog :)

But a timer would keep it refreshing during xfer/creation operations, indeed.

BubbleLamp
04-26-2004, 09:01 PM
... or you could just refresh the static field upon return from the directory navigation dialog :)

That was what I had in mind, no need for a timer. I'm all for avoiding loops/timers.

Perogi
04-26-2004, 09:14 PM
When encoding for DVD with the new mode, the command prompt window opens and stays open with the final line reading: "INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING EXTENDED MMX for PREDICTION". Then it just stays there. I cannout make any encoding progress until I close the command prompt window manually. I have to do this numberous times per encode. Is this normal behavior? Am I missing something?

jdiner
04-26-2004, 09:30 PM
Told you it wouldn't take long. :) The first show of the day has the problem. Shoot me a PM of where to send to and I'll get it out to you tomorrow.
Amazing. Alright. Check your PM box.

--jdiner

Perogi
04-26-2004, 09:41 PM
Sorry...***** points for me...I just needed to replace my cygwin1.dll with the newer version...sorry guys!

arthur
04-26-2004, 11:20 PM
This is the code that pulls in the list of fonts:

void menudlgController::ProcessFonts(HWND hwnd, long cb)
{
HDC hDC = GetDC( NULL );

{
LOGFONT lf = { 0, 0, 0, 0, FW_REGULAR, 0, 0, 0, ANSI_CHARSET, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 };
EnumFontFamiliesEx( hDC, &lf, (FONTENUMPROC)FontProc, (LPARAM)cb, 0 );
}

{
LOGFONT lf = { 0, 0, 0, 0, FW_REGULAR, 0, 0, 0, SYMBOL_CHARSET, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 };
EnumFontFamiliesEx( hDC, &lf, (FONTENUMPROC)FontProc, (LPARAM)cb, 0 );
}

ReleaseDC( NULL, hDC );
}

The first gets the standard fonts and the second gets things like wingdings etc... A scary proposition, but all of the actual work is done by the Win32 APIs.

hmmm,
strange, attached you will find a quickly written utility based on your posted code that enumerates all the Standard and Symbol Fonts as you coded.
and the following two images are snapshots of the TyTool and EnumFont
Notice how Tytool shows DS-Digital Bold, whereas EnumFont shows Ds-Digital
The strangest part is that, with the above code all bold fonts would be filtered out due to the use of FW_REGULAR constant

It is also worth noting that I loaded the font into Font creator and all the properties showed up correctly.

malfunct
04-27-2004, 12:05 AM
Actually in this case it is incredibly expensive. It is a COM based feature and it I am using neither COM nor MFC. The cost of adding those to the exe is prohibitive.

There are better ways to go about it. A standard Timer event would be far less costly.

--jdiner

I will give you that one, it very likely is COM. I never program in C so using COM objects is next to free for me from a code writing standpoint and I never think about that sort of thing one way or another. The only benefit I'd see for TyTool by implementing its interface using standard COM objects is that it would pick up OS style for "free". Of course you have listed all the tradoffs and I agree with them. I only mentioned the directory changed event because I thought it might be easier for you, turns out its not so what you are doing works fine.

jbc
04-27-2004, 01:41 AM
Josh, I've got a problem I'm clueless what to search on so I have to ask...

I've got ty files downloaded with 9r11, I've been editing the key file with 9r14. It sounds like tivo side tools got rev'd on r12 and I'm not ready to update those files yet (other problems....).

Here's the setup... 3 hour stanley cup playoff game. I indexed with r14 and attempted to cut the file up. I'd do one period of hockey and check my results. After muxing the file I'd reedit the file, loading the previously saved cut file. Strange thing happens at the start of the third period the index frames seem to be wrong. The first few times editing the file I got evey one of the key I frames. But I was now missing 2-3 of the key frames.

My method for editing was to cut the commercials from the first period, cut intermission crap, and then add a few minutes of the second period cutting from this point to the end of the file. I'd mux the file, check it. I'd choose to edit the key file, load the cut list, delete my last cut and continue to edit.

Reindexing the file I was able to view all the key frames. This latest check I created a new cut file from scratch, saved at the end and then went to mux the stream. (This is good cutfile in the zip)

I'm not sure if this is important, but I've attached the two key files because the end time on one is bad at 13 hours the good one ends at 2:something hours. Are there any known issues with loading cut files?

Any idea what's happening with the cuts?
Thanks!

Edit: looks like the 13h end mark might be ok. I reloaded the "good" edit and noticed the end cut wasn't at EOF. Once I corrrected this I got at time of 13h.

FredThompson
04-27-2004, 02:02 AM
with the latest tytool release, generate an IFO set then create a directory within the destination directory, point the destination field to that new directory and attempt to create the IFOs again. Does tytool claim there are existing files in that new, empty directory? It does for me.

BubbleLamp
04-27-2004, 02:22 AM
with the latest tytool release, generate an IFO set then create a directory within the destination directory, point the destination field to that new directory and attempt to create the IFOs again. Does tytool claim there are existing files in that new, empty directory? It does for me.
My guess would be that the changed output dir isn't getting registered in the code that checks if it's empty, so it sees your new sub-dir as content, and raises the warning flag. What happens if you close down TyTool and restart it with the new target sub-dir selected, does it then work correctly?

malfunct
04-27-2004, 02:26 AM
My guess would be that the changed output dir isn't getting registered in the code that checks if it's empty, so it sees your new sub-dir as content, and raises the warning flag. What happens if you close down TyTool and restart it with the new target sub-dir selected, does it then work correctly?

It works correctly if you exit out (at least when I tested it) I think there is something not getting cleared when you switch directories.

FredThompson
04-27-2004, 03:42 AM
Dunno. If this is happening for other people, it's a bug which crept in. Previous version didn't do this.

jdiner
04-27-2004, 11:51 AM
And what does this have to do with tivoweb?

The problem is that I set the "here is what everything is" when a change is made to a menu element. The very last thing you did was change the DVD directory. Change a single element in any way, even just select it and then press Set Item and it will work correctly.

That issue is a left over from when you had to manually type the DVD location.

I will add it to the todo list but there is the work around.

--jdiner

jdiner
04-27-2004, 11:53 AM
Dunno. If this is happening for other people, it's a bug which crept in. Previous version didn't do this.
Actually it has always been there. Previous versions didn't check things at all.

EDIT: See what happens when I am tired I don't type well... :) The previous versions didn't perform that check at all. It is only in the new ones that you get a popup. So before it would have appended with no notice...

The real problem is that the GUI has expanded beyond what was initially intended and there are a few things within it that are still at the earliest stages. The fixes are not terribly difficult but just kind of got lost in the morass of other issues.

--jdiner

bschwart
04-27-2004, 12:31 PM
I've just started using TyTools and love it. One question though, I created a DVD with 4 episodes of a show, everything worked great although on my Toshiba DVD player, the image is skewed off to the left (i.e. the left 1/4 of the frame is on the right side of the television). It works fine on many other DVD players I've tried it on. Any ideas on this.

Brian

eastwind
04-27-2004, 03:33 PM
I've just started using TyTools and love it. One question though, I created a DVD with 4 episodes of a show, everything worked great although on my Toshiba DVD player, the image is skewed off to the left (i.e. the left 1/4 of the frame is on the right side of the television). It works fine on many other DVD players I've tried it on. Any ideas on this.

Brian
Research will show you that some DVD players can't handle the resolutions offered by TiVo streams. If you have a SA Series 1, you can change those settings to be more compliant (352x480 or 720x480). If you have a DTiVo, you won't have any luck with it. Might as well replace the DVD player with one of the ones on the known good list (see STICKYs).
ew

jbc
04-28-2004, 05:02 AM
Josh, I've been trying to figure out what triggers the strange jump in key frames and here's one way that's worked for me, but... I've only tried twice and it's only worked 50% of the time....

Open key file for edit on its own will allow me to arrow through the frames in the following order
2:01:30.692
2:01:32.594
2:01:35.097
2:01:36.598
2:01:38.000
2:01:39.101
2:01:40.902
2:01:42.304
2:01:44.106

If I open a edit a key file and save cut file, multiplex the file, go back to edit again this time loading the previously saved cut file, go to the 2:01:30 minute mark and arrow through the key frames the frames are at the following markers:
2:01:11.573
2:01:29.291
2:01:45.607

I have also tried the same steps with a 172MB ty file and this worked fine on one test.

Am I doing something wrong or missing something obvious?

drnull
04-28-2004, 04:33 PM
Well, we were having an interesting discussion last time about the mpeg2enc blockiness issue before the last thread closed. I'd like to reopen it, if I could.

Part of the problem, I think, is that we have a bit of trouble classifying exactly what the blockiness looks like.

Now, maybe, we can figure this out. Download the attached clip.zip file into your current tytool directory (preferably 9r14, but whatever... Just make sure if you post about it, you specify which version you used.)

Unzip it to find two files:
clip.y4m - just a very small sample clip that will look blocky at q1 on my computer
run.bat - runs mpeg2enc twice, once at q1 and once at q2.

That will output 4 files: clip.q1.m2v, clip.q1.out, clip.q2.m2v, and clip.q2.out

Load those .m2v files into two copies of a program that lets you step frame by frame through a mpeg2 encoded file (I suggest virtualdub-MPEG2 http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/). Step to frame 3 in both copies and see if your frame 3 looks like this:
q1: http://genome.arizona.edu/~jamie/tivo/mpeg2enc/frame3.q1.jpg
OR
q2: http://genome.arizona.edu/~jamie/tivo/mpeg2enc/frame3.q2.jpg

Obviously, q1 here is the blocky one.

If your q1 is exactly like the blocky one, maybe post with your processor/os/tivo info?

Then, maybe we can compare the .out files and discover something?

Or, maybe we'll just wait for the -q[1,2] to be an option in tytool.

For the record, I'm P4, Win2k, S2 DTivo. (Also had the problem on a P3 & P-M)

malfunct
04-28-2004, 04:41 PM
Well, we were having an interesting discussion last time about the mpeg2enc blockiness issue before the last thread closed. I'd like to reopen it, if I could.

Part of the problem, I think, is that we have a bit of trouble classifying exactly what the blockiness looks like.

Now, maybe, we can figure this out. Download the attached clip.zip file into your current tytool directory (preferably 9r14, but whatever... Just make sure if you post about it, you specify which version you used.)

Unzip it to find two files:
clip.y4m - just a very small sample clip that will look blocky at q1 on my computer
run.bat - runs mpeg2enc twice, once at q1 and once at q2.

That will output 4 files: clip.q1.m2v, clip.q1.out, clip.q2.m2v, and clip.q2.out

Load those .m2v files into two copies of a program that lets you step frame by frame through a mpeg2 encoded file (I suggest virtualdub-MPEG2 http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/). Step to frame 3 in both copies and see if your frame 3 looks like this:
q1: http://genome.arizona.edu/~jamie/tivo/mpeg2enc/frame3.q1.jpg
OR
q2: http://genome.arizona.edu/~jamie/tivo/mpeg2enc/frame3.q2.jpg

Obviously, q1 here is the blocky one.

If your q1 is exactly like the blocky one, maybe post with your processor/os/tivo info?

Then, maybe we can compare the .out files and discover something?

Or, maybe we'll just wait for the -q[1,2] to be an option in tytool.

For the record, I'm P4, Win2k, S2 DTivo. (Also had the problem on a P3 & P-M)

It does look like some values aren't getting cleared when they are supposed to. Also based on the block layout it looks like the problem is in building the blocks and not in arranging them. I wonder if there is some rounding happening in the frequency domain before the conversion back to pixels. Wierd.

drnull
04-28-2004, 05:50 PM
It does look like some values aren't getting cleared when they are supposed to. Also based on the block layout it looks like the problem is in building the blocks and not in arranging them. I wonder if there is some rounding happening in the frequency domain before the conversion back to pixels. Wierd.

I was thinking more that for some reason, it was picking the wrong "representation pattern" to represent that block. Now, I'm probably seriously talking out of my rear here (as our beloved deceased janitor would say), as I don't really have a clue about mpeg2 encoding, but I'm pretty sure there's a set of patterns that are used to compress block structures. Course, I really thought those blocks would have been a little smaller (like 8x8, instead of the larger ones we see?)

Actually after looking at it, it does seem that those larger blocks are just made up of 4 8x8 blocks. Yeah, those are the blocks I was thinking about. DCT, somehow, right? (http://tangentsoft.net/video/mpeg/) Anyways, I don't guess that helps us. Just thinking out loud, that's all.

FredThompson
04-28-2004, 06:18 PM
Ah, yes, those are mis-behaving DCT. You'll see it on DirecTV transmissions when their encoders screw up during scene changes. FWIW, I've NEVER seen that on my systems, 1200 Durons, 2100 Athlons, Asus A7n8x deluxe and -x mobos, Win2K ('cause XP is WinDummies...)

drnull
04-28-2004, 06:30 PM
Ah, yes, those are mis-behaving DCT. You'll see it on DirecTV transmissions when their encoders screw up during scene changes.

True, I see the exact same thing on tv every single day on my local NBC. During the Today show, as they show the local weather, there's an animation where they zoom out to show today's forcast. Anyways, EVERY day, it gets that same blockiness.

Odd that it should occur so predictably, isn't it?

eastwind
04-28-2004, 06:49 PM
q1 - Blocky
q2 - Not Blocky
P4 system with WinXP Home

ew

OutlawPro
04-28-2004, 09:22 PM
q1 - Blocky
q2 - Not Blocky

P4 HT, WinXP Pro (because I know what I'm doing and know how to configure an OS and know that XP is better than 2K)

The weird thing is, I don't recall ever seeing it in any mpeg I've made. Maybe it's just flying by too quickly. Just to double-check, I tested them both in Nero Showtime using my quickdraw pausing and got the same results.

drnull
04-28-2004, 09:34 PM
The weird thing is, I don't recall ever seeing it in any mpeg I've made. Maybe it's just flying by too quickly. Just to double-check, I tested them both in Nero Showtime using my quickdraw pausing and got the same results.

Ahh, right, you're the one that ruined our theory last time!!! :-) Well, thank you very much for taking the time to retest and post results. That could very well settle it as an intel "problem" then.

jbc
04-28-2004, 09:40 PM
I was hoping to get a dusty old PC out to try the blocky stuff on, I installed a new 200GB drive and then ran the test with the same results. Q1 is block, then I decided to check the CPU and doh! it's another P3... but damn it's fast with the fast 200GB drive!

So my tests... All on win2k 2 P3s and 2 P4s all intel different mobos all with the same result blocky with q1. I'm really wishing I had a AMD box...

Josh, I'm always willing to try making builds for you. I'm sure there are other more qualified windows folks, but... if not, I can try. Would it be helpful to start grabbing random cygwin1.dll files and test those with mpeg2enc?

ronnythunder
04-28-2004, 10:31 PM
drnull, tried your test on my box, and both versions of the clip look exactly the same (no blockiness)

i'm running an amd athlon xp1700+ with windows 2000 sp3.

ronny

jdiner
04-29-2004, 12:07 AM
Ahh, right, you're the one that ruined our theory last time!!! :-) Well, thank you very much for taking the time to retest and post results. That could very well settle it as an intel "problem" then.
Welcome to the wonderful world of AMD... :)

I also just ran the test. Had to edit the .bat file to point to the right directory since I don't have TyTool or mpeg2enc in my path.

I get perfect compressions in both modes. At -q1 I get a file 204k in length. At -q2 I get 194. Visibly when looked at side by side there is an ever so slightly present change in the quality of the output.

I do believe that the key is the Intel CPU. I think we should bring it up with the cygwin people directly. As in taking a brief look at the code there is only 1 MMX file for the mpeg2enc people. I.e. not one for AMD and one for Intel. So my guess is that it is the underlying compiler architecture in use that is the culprit.

--jdiner

jdiner
04-29-2004, 12:09 AM
Look for a new Win32 and Linux port of VSplit caught up with the current fixes of TyTool in the next 24 hours or so. Going to try and fix something in the new muxer first and then get it out the door.

The core issue here is solving an error in the new muxer. If what I have in mind does not work I will just be making the release without that fix.

I would try and get it out tonight but I was just trying to test a process on something else and found that I was 0 bytes free on a 500gig raid array. Wow... 4 drives, 1 partition, 100% full.

Back in my Amiga days I would never have thought it possible. I used that A3000 with only 105meg HD space total. :)

--jdiner

malfunct
04-29-2004, 12:40 AM
I just ran the mpeg2enc test on my machine and I don't have blocks. Dual Athlon MP 1900+ here.

Waruwaru
04-29-2004, 01:18 AM
Back in my Amiga days I would never have thought it possible. I used that A3000 with only 105meg HD space total. :)

haha, I think I paid more than $200 for the 80 meg SCSI drive on my A1000. Those were the days... :)

drnull
04-29-2004, 02:10 AM
I do believe that the key is the Intel CPU. I think we should bring it up with the cygwin people directly.

--jdiner

Interesting: I just compiled mpeg2enc on a linux RH9 system also running a P4. Ran the same test at q1 and DO NOT get blocks. It seems, though, that you already knew it was related to cygwin directly and not related to the intel/amd chip itself.

Compiling mpeg2enc on my cygwin gave me fits, haven't got it working yet...

FredThompson
04-29-2004, 02:15 AM
haha, I think I paid more than $200 for the 80 meg SCSI drive on my A1000. Those were the days... :)Whipsersnapper! I remember magnetic cores. Didn't own one, mind you. The first I had was an Atari 800 with 3 16K modules and a tape drive.

Now someone will reply to this post and talk about their Altair...

BubbleLamp
04-29-2004, 03:15 AM

--jdiner

My 1000 had two floppies drives, and blank disks were $36/box!! Geez I never should have sold that machine, amazing hardware.

I have a $1000 500MB drive around here somewhere, VIC20 with tape drive too. Sold the C64 and C128 ages ago.

rung
04-29-2004, 07:14 AM
My 1000 had two floppies drives, and blank disks were $36/box!! Geez I never should have sold that machine, amazing hardware.

I have a $1000 500MB drive around here somewhere, VIC20 with tape drive too. Sold the C64 and C128 ages ago.

I had a 10 MB external Winchester harddrive for my TRS80. It was the same size as my Tivo! I was so happy to not have to boot off of floppies.

laserfan
04-29-2004, 09:37 AM

I have a $1000 500MB drive around here somewhere, VIC20 with tape drive too. Sold the C64 and C128 ages ago.Sorry, I think I have you all beat. The 16K RAM board (yes, 16,000!) cost $700 for my IMSAI 8080 (circa 1976), and the dual 8" floppy drive for the thing cost two grand. Still have it, maybe someday I will fire it up again and try to run TyTool on it. ;)

malfunct
04-29-2004, 11:29 AM

Ikes, why did you go and do that? I still have most of the computers I had when I was young and those that got lost along the way I have repurchased. My only hopes is that I can keep my wife from making me get rid of them, she doesn't understand why I want them around.

I do need to get all of my floppy disk software backed up to a more permanent media at some point though.

As for the price of my PC's, I was always about 4 or 5 years behind the curve so I don't think my parents paid more than $200 for any that they got me. It wasn't until I bought my own 486 that I had a computer that was purchased for more than that.

BubbleLamp
04-29-2004, 11:57 AM
Ikes, why did you go and do that? I still have most of the computers I had when I was young and those that got lost along the way I have repurchased.
Yea, well at the time I needed the $$. But I've thought about getting a C64 from time to time.

Note to Josh, maybe you can break off this severely off topic portion of the thread and move it to the Chit Chat section.

drnull
04-29-2004, 12:35 PM
Compiling mpeg2enc on my cygwin gave me fits, haven't got it working yet...

Well, tried the latest dvdauthor version of mpeg2enc.exe and got the same blockiness.

So, fought more with compiling it myself.

make fails in the mplex directory (no biggie, but I wanted to make it all work), so you can either change the makefile to include libmjpegutils.a (and your changes will be blown away if you configure again), or just go to the mplex directory and do
../libtool --mode=link g++ -mcpu=i686 -march=i686 -g -O2 -o mplex.exe main.o ../mplex/libmplex2.la -lm ../utils/libmjpegutils.a
yourself, then start the make up again and let it finish.

made two very small changes to mpeg2enc/motionest.cc (added (uint32_t*) twice on two lines) and got past compile errors, but got a seg fault from ld when linking (wha???)...

then read:
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/vcdimager-gui-devel/2002-01/msg00004.html
that simd extensions were error prone (as jdiner also pointed out) in cygwin. So, did a ./configure --disable-simd-accel. Guess this would also make my executables compatible with amd chips?

Anyways, the long and short of it is, generated a new mpeg2enc.exe, and it PASSED the q1 test (it also didn't matter which cygwin1.dll was used... mine from my cygwin install or jdiner's from the tytool install, just like with the other mpeg2enc, I got blockyness from both cygwin1.dll's)

Attached the mpeg2enc.exe I generated and my cygwin1.dll (anybody with amd wanna give this a shot and see if it's broken for you now?) One big question, though, is have I introduced any of the gridding effects that we were seeing back a while ago? (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=155265&postcount=459 et al). Does anybody still have clips where the gridding effects are KNOWN to occur when something isn't right?

ugh. Who knows. JDiner, if you want me to drop this as you are looking to move to something besides mpeg2enc (and cygwin), let me know and I will. Otherwise, if we're gonna be here awhile, it'd be nice to find something that works correctly for everyone at q1.

I've dropped it into my tytool directory, and it works fine being called directly from tytool also (at q1 still). Anybody else want to try? If you do, and it causes problems, just use your backups or redownload 9r14.

jdiner
04-29-2004, 02:45 PM
DrNull:

If you think you can fix the MMX/SSE portions of the Cygwin compiler then by all means do so. Many would thank you for it.

Getting it compiled is a serious pain. Took me a long long time as well.

However, if all you are really looking for is a non-MMX/SSE version then Pete Hatcher (I think I have that right) posted such a version awhile back. I have yet to see anyone post the recent tests with this version of mpeg2enc but hopefully someone will. It would be nice if people had that simple of an alternative.

--jdiner

jbc
04-29-2004, 03:09 PM
Thanks Dr. Null you got that done quicker than I did. =)

I can say it does work great on a P3. It is a lot slower, but it is correct.

drnull
04-29-2004, 03:37 PM
I can say it does work great on a P3. It is a lot slower, but it is correct.

Yeah, much slower, tragically. Wish we could pick and choose what parts were disabled. Maybe it's just one particular set that we could disable to fix it.

Just for the record, I was using the latest release of mjpegtools (1.6.2) and cygwin version (1.5.9)

JDiner:
Drat, I had forgotton about that post by Peter Hatch... Just tried it, and his version also passes the q1 test. No blocks.

So you mean I wasted all that time getting mjpegtools to compile for nothing?? Nah, I learned a little while I was at it I guess. :-)

bato
04-29-2004, 03:54 PM
JDiner:
Drat, I had forgotton about that post by Peter Hatch... Just tried it, and his version also passes the q1 test. No blocks.
IIRC (maybe I'm not) the Peter Hatch files created some gridding efect on jdiner's machine.

BTW no blocks in my AMD (if anyone cares at this poing :) ).

OutlawPro
04-29-2004, 06:38 PM
--jdiner

Yeah, no kidding. Funny thing too because I have an A2000 with monitor sitting in the floor behind me and I have been debating for a week whether to put it on ebay or just toss it in the dumpster. I just don't have the heart to do that since it still runs and works fine except for a mouse port issue.

I remember buying a 800MB HD that cost nearly $800. I also had one of those SCSI 10MB floppy drives. And..remember the little "legs" on that A3000 memory that would break off if you even looked at it sideways.

malfunct
04-29-2004, 09:04 PM
Yeah, no kidding. Funny thing too because I have an A2000 with monitor sitting in the floor behind me and I have been debating for a week whether to put it on ebay or just toss it in the dumpster. I just don't have the heart to do that since it still runs and works fine except for a mouse port issue.

I remember buying a 800MB HD that cost nearly $800. I also had one of those SCSI 10MB floppy drives. And..remember the little "legs" on that A3000 memory that would break off if you even looked at it sideways.

Send it to me :)

jdiner
04-30-2004, 12:21 AM
IIRC (maybe I'm not) the Peter Hatch files created some gridding efect on jdiner's machine.

BTW no blocks in my AMD (if anyone cares at this poing :) ).
That gridding was the latest version of the cygwin1.dll. If you rolled back to what is in use in the TyTool releases then the gridding was not present.

I didn't release with it because I was unaware until the last 24 hours that there really was that strong a tie between everything. And to be honest it is SOOoooOOOooo much slower it would drive most people nuts.

I think the key at this point is to put an option in TyTool that will allow users to pick Q1 and Q2 depending on the CPU. Might even be a good time to find some code for detecting what CPU it is and auto-setting that default based on where it is running. Anyone got any CPU maker detection code?

--jdiner

FredThompson
04-30-2004, 01:15 AM
Anyone got any CPU maker detection code?

Look at ProcessorNameString in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0 if the system is Win2K.

malfunct
04-30-2004, 02:44 AM
That gridding was the latest version of the cygwin1.dll. If you rolled back to what is in use in the TyTool releases then the gridding was not present.

I didn't release with it because I was unaware until the last 24 hours that there really was that strong a tie between everything. And to be honest it is SOOoooOOOooo much slower it would drive most people nuts.

I think the key at this point is to put an option in TyTool that will allow users to pick Q1 and Q2 depending on the CPU. Might even be a good time to find some code for detecting what CPU it is and auto-setting that default based on where it is running. Anyone got any CPU maker detection code?

--jdiner

Just need to get the CPUID and look it up in a table. Search the web, I bet the algorithm is out there like 50 times.

EDIT: A couple of useful links I just found -

http://faydoc.tripod.com/cpu/cpuid.htm

http://grafi.ii.pw.edu.pl/gbm/x86/cpuid.html

jdiner
04-30-2004, 11:23 AM
I found a proper explanation of how to do it on the web. It is just never something I have had to worry about before. So much for "all things being equal" when it comes to the various CPUs...

--jdiner

malfunct
04-30-2004, 11:52 AM
I found a proper explanation of how to do it on the web. It is just never something I have had to worry about before. So much for "all things being equal" when it comes to the various CPUs...

--jdiner

Whats worse is that often when a manufacturer releases a new cpu they don't exactly follow the old cpuid format.

FredThompson
05-01-2004, 03:37 PM
I've just used the expanded ability to append VOBs. WOW!!! It's fantastic.

One request: can color be added to Menu Elements list to indicate multiple-VOB entries?

tweaky
05-01-2004, 07:14 PM
Not sure if this belongs here, but does anybody know how to change the menu element colors?

malfunct
05-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Not sure if this belongs here, but does anybody know how to change the menu element colors?

Check FreeThopmson's thread on tytool enhancements. Changing the colors is not supported inside tytool but can easily be done using the applications provided with tytool.

FredThompson
05-02-2004, 01:03 AM
Why does the key file now enforce a hard path to the ty file?

jdiner
05-02-2004, 02:11 AM
Why does the key file now enforce a hard path to the ty file?
I have covered this in the past.

In GOP mode the Key file is completely independant.

In FAE mode the key is used with the source file to get the full data for a GOP. So you can see each frame/field.

Without putting the name in the key file you can't put things in different places. I.e. it defeats having the "set output directory" functionality.

Yes it limits movement after making the key file but 99% of the time this never happens. When it does just remake the key file.

--jdiner

FredThompson
05-02-2004, 04:40 AM
I have covered this. Why do we keep looping around to the same questions...Because I'm braindead.

jdiner
05-02-2004, 10:40 AM
Because I'm braindead.
No it isn't just you. I have gotten a ton of PMs lately asking to the things we covered as a group.

3 in the last week asking for TyTool to auto-start the server. We went around and around on that one just a few days ago as to what was best.

I also should not bother trying to read up on this stuff minute after getting home from a 2 day trip. Traveling like that is just a touch to frustrating all on it own.

--jdiner

FredThompson
05-02-2004, 03:28 PM
Josh,

I've got a bunch of GOP-edited MPEGs which were muxed with an old version of TyTool.

Is there any risk to running them through TyTool to remux using the new method to make VOBs? You've mentioned the MPEG input is weak and also made some comments about some upcoming improvements to the muxing.

--

You're gonna kill me for asking this again. I plead the memory retention of an old man ;)

What's the technical reason TyTool can't dump m2v and mpa if audio holes are patched?

jdiner
05-02-2004, 04:06 PM
I've got a bunch of GOP-edited MPEGs which were muxed with an old version of TyTool.

Is there any risk to running them through TyTool to remux using the new method to make VOBs? You've mentioned the MPEG input is weak and also made some comments about some upcoming improvements to the muxing.
Risk? No. Only that the process won't work. It not like it freaks and wipes the hard drive or anything. TyTool can just crash if things get confused enough. If it can process them, and it often will, then you are good to go.

The problem is that it is really no better than about 95%. Usable but the warning was primarily for those that were using MPEG as the download format. Doing so meant about 1 in 10 weren't going to work further and so it should be avoided.

You're gonna kill me for asking this again. I plead the memory retention of an old man ;)

What's the technical reason TyTool can't dump m2v and mpa if audio holes are patched?
You can patch the audio holes, and in fact you should. It just doesn't make much difference if you are editing. The problem is that the editing process creates holes that can not be filled correctly. So if you go to ES files and edit then you are going to get tiny holes in the audio at the cut points.

Since you get seperate output files under the split process, one between each cut, each one has a seperate alignment between the audio and video segments.

What you can't do is get 1 single Audio and 1 single Video file that has been edited.

--jdiner

FredThompson
05-02-2004, 05:44 PM
I should have chosen more appropriate words. IIUC, you say if TyTool doesn't crash, a VOB created from an MPEG should be fine, correct? My thought was more along the lines of corruption in the output which wouldn't be evident until the VOB is played.

wrt cuts and elemental streams, ok, I understand. Nuts. Was hoping there would be a way to do FAE then make elementals so sound can be cleaned up on old, noisy source.

jdiner
05-02-2004, 05:47 PM
I should have chosen more appropriate words. IIUC, you say if TyTool doesn't crash, a VOB created from an MPEG should be fine, correct? My thought was more along the lines of corruption in the output which wouldn't be evident until the VOB is played.

wrt cuts and elemental streams, ok, I understand. Nuts. Was hoping there would be a way to do FAE then make elementals so sound can be cleaned up on old, noisy source.
Unless TyTool crashes the output VOB will be just fine.

On the audio work. No. That is not really within the scope of the target for TyTool. Audio transcoding was originally unplanned and only the exceptional work from Rowan really made it possible in the first place.

--jdiner

FredThompson
05-02-2004, 06:00 PM
Gotcha. It's still a fantastic benefit to get those old MPEGs safely into VOB and burned. Woohoo!!

FredThompson
05-02-2004, 07:31 PM
Josh,

(This is a little wordy. I'm trying to ensure all the points are covered and I've thoroughly explained the idea.)

Am I correct in understanding your comment a few posts ago to mean as long as there are no cuts WITHIN a VOB it would be fine to break it into elementals, process the audio, then remux as long as audio holes are patched? Would that include FAE cuts on the front and tail ends?

To illustrate the idea, imagine an early film which has some intro and outro commentary. This starts as a ty and it then cut into 3 distinct VOBs using GOP or FAE cuts at the start and end of each section, as needed. Audio holes are filled. All segments are contiguous with no internal edits.

OK, the early film portion is split into elementals, the audio processed, then they are muxed. The three portions are combined again within TyTool's menu creation dialogs which allows concatenation of VOBs.

Will this work or is it subject to error if there are leading/trailing FAE cuts?

FredThompson
05-02-2004, 07:33 PM
Would someone please explain to me how to tell if a ty has a DD component? If this is something which can be determined during the key creation phase, perhaps it would be useful to store that status within the key and some form of indicator shown when the files are accessed by TyTool. IOW, when you're looking at a pick list and the keys are made, those which have DD are indicated by boldness or color, something like that.

malfunct
05-02-2004, 07:36 PM
Would someone please explain to me how to tell if a ty has a DD component? If this is something which can be determined during the key creation phase, perhaps it would be useful to store that status within the key and some form of indicator shown when the files are accessed by TyTool. IOW, when you're looking at a pick list and the keys are made, those which have DD are indicated by boldness or color, something like that.

JDiner put up a program that can do that. I think its called audiocheck or something to that effect.

Pendragn
05-02-2004, 09:10 PM
I apologize if this has been covered before.

I just put TyTool in C:\Program Files\TyTool and put that directory in my path statement. I copied all the relevant files there, I had been using them in a different directory. I moved to C:\temp\tivo fired up tytool. It didn't use the tytool.ini from c:\program files\tytool, but created its own, in C:\temp\tivo. Is that by design?

tk

larray
05-02-2004, 10:59 PM
Josh,

I'm going to try to keep this in the "dull roar" category :)

I've found a few issues with 9r13 and 9r14 that I wanted to bring up and see if there was any chance that they were being looked at. I'd previously been using 9r8, then recently noticed 9r13 and 14 come out. Dowloaded 9r13 noticed the problem, and then noticed 9r14 and did all of my testing there.

I'm extracting via mfs_ftp to TMF (quick dump to longer term storage until I have the time to mess with getting it on DVD). System is a Dell 530 Dual 1.5 running XP with 2 gig of RAM.

The TMF files I have I've used 9r8 on and do not have the issue.
1) FAE cuts bomb GOPEditor flat cold - the second I try to enter into FAE mode it comes up with Windows reporting error. (Yes, I do have the cygwin dll in my folder - I even tried putting it in my system path).
2) I can carry the process through without FAE and "old school" "Multiplex files" (like under 9r8) and audio option #7 (really like the concept of #8!). However the MPEG output can no longer be used under the relaxed multiplexer in DVDLab. The error I get is "The MPEG file has an encrypted video stream. The file cannot be demuxed". Under 9r8 it works great still. In one test, I could demux with TMPGEnc, but I never carried it to completion to see if I could generate a DVD.

I don't want this to sound like I'm whining or complaining, it's more of a question of if support for the older method could be added in without too much cost to the app. I know you have a direction for what you are doing and respect that. I just want to know if I'm now going to be stuck using 9r8 to keep my workflow flowing. :D

Other than that - great work, love the new features of 9r14, just wish that they worked for me!

Andy

jdiner
05-03-2004, 02:01 AM
Am I correct in understanding your comment a few posts ago to mean as long as there are no cuts WITHIN a VOB it would be fine to break it into elementals, process the audio, then remux as long as audio holes are patched? Would that include FAE cuts on the front and tail ends?
No. There are many sources of holes and most of them are not, or can not be, corrected perfectly. Damaged streams etc...

If you split things out, getting them back together is problematic. Hence the reason I put so much effort into the internal muxer.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-03-2004, 02:05 AM
This falls into the category of something you are going to have to monitor yourself.

You can use audiocheck to monitor a specific TyStream after downloading. Most of the time it is easy to tell from the name of the show itself. Episodes of TV usually NOT Dolby, movies usually there.

With the new audio conversion mode, #8, it is not that hard to deal with for people that prefer/want Dolby.

I will not be changing the requestor to colorize the lists in it based on audio type. I believe in using color sparingly as it becomes nothing but a distraction if used other than sparingly.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-03-2004, 02:09 AM
I just put TyTool in C:\Program Files\TyTool and put that directory in my path statement. I copied all the relevant files there, I had been using them in a different directory. I moved to C:\temp\tivo fired up tytool. It didn't use the tytool.ini from c:\program files\tytool, but created its own, in C:\temp\tivo. Is that by design?
The tytool.ini file is loaded from the same directory as the executable was run from. If it created a new one in c:\temp\tivo then that is where it thought it was run from. I can't tell you why...

My guess when you tried to create icons it was not a shortcut but rather an copy of the EXE.

My advice. Do a completely new and clean extraction into the new directory. Don't make icons or drag things around. Run the exectuable from there using a dos shell make sure the setting are correct in the GUI and exit. Check the .ini file to make sure the changes were kept. Then try making the icon and you should find whatever your problem was.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-03-2004, 02:12 AM
The TMF files I have I've used 9r8 on and do not have the issue.
1) FAE cuts bomb GOPEditor flat cold - the second I try to enter into FAE mode it comes up with Windows reporting error. (Yes, I do have the cygwin dll in my folder - I even tried putting it in my system path).

GopEditor DOES NOT SUPPORT TMF FILES IN ANY WAY. I have said this many many times. GopEditor supports .TY FILES ONLY.

If it ever worked you got lucky. The fact that it does not work now is not on purpose merely a side of effect the layout of the file, the layout of the editor, changes to the editor to add the new features, etc...

--jdiner

FredThompson
05-03-2004, 04:29 AM
I'm extracting via mfs_ftp to TMF (quick dump to longer term storage until I have the time to mess with getting it on DVD). If you're going to DVD/MPEG2 and want to use TyTool, use tserver and extract via TyTool.

FredThompson
05-03-2004, 04:44 AM
This falls into the category of something you are going to have to monitor yourself.

You can use audiocheck to monitor a specific TyStream after downloading. Most of the time it is easy to tell from the name of the show itself. Episodes of TV usually NOT Dolby, movies usually are.

With the new audio conversion mode, #8, it is not that hard to deal with for people that prefer/want Dolby.

I will not be changing the requestor to colorize the lists in it based on audio type. I believe in using color sparingly as it becomes nothing but a distraction if used other than sparingly.It's not always obvious with older movies, that's why I'm asking about this stuff. The old B&W may have multiple tracks besides a mono or stereo. There were all kinds of multi-channel tracks pre-Dolby and it's not always clear with films during that time what the content might have. IIRC, Disney's Fantasia had something like 11 channels. Yes, anything from the premium movie channels is probably DD.

So...there is no automated way to make a DD output if the input contains DD, stereo otherwise and I should probably run AudioCheck on a dir and pipe the output to a file for further processing to see if anything in the dir is DD. (yes, I'm going to write this up as a recursive script and post it when it's working...)

Will AudioCheck distinguish between mono, stereo, and DD or just stereo and DD. I don't get any of the premium movie channels and don't have DD equipment. My concern is losing any DD which is present because I don't know it's there. I get this at the top of one scan:

checkNumRecs: Number of Records: 18165 (f5 46 7a bd)
Main Pump: Bad Chunk! Skipping!

checkNumRecs: Number of Records: 204 (cc 0 2 80)
LayerII Audio segment starts at chunk #: 1
When DD is detected, what does the line look like? Is there a non-documented mode to do a compact display or is it always status per chunk? Is there a way to calculate the timeoffset within a file based on chunk number?

I don't really care how the status is shown, I'm just looking to develop a method to look at a batch of files and know what the content is. That's where the color idea came from. The idea was if someone wants DD and that's a valid option because it's in the source, it seemed a natural thing for the tools to enforce for them given they're going to scan each stream to make keyfiles. IOW, flag the status while the keyfile is being made, if the user sets the "DD if present" setting and the status was set, give them DD. OVerrides would still work but it helps dummyproof...uh...or maybe I-don't-want-to-always-have-to-remember-it-itis...

There's also a lack of knowledge/experience on my part about DD. If someone who works with this a lot would give me some pointers and explain, I'd sure appreciate it. Frankly, I'm confused as to why I would care when a stream changes to DD.

Another thing I'm wondering about is when there are multiple programs in a ty and, for example, #2 of a 3-program ty is DD and #1 and #3 aren't, how would you detect this?

larray
05-03-2004, 07:14 AM
GopEditor DOES NOT SUPPORT TMF FILES IN ANY WAY. I have said this many many times. GopEditor supports .TY FILES ONLY.

If it ever worked you got lucky. The fact that it does not work now is not on purpose merely a side of effect the layout of the file, the layout of the editor, changes to the editor to add the new features, etc...

--jdiner

I apologize, my bad. I went back and re-read this thread from the beginning and seem to have missed where the TMF files were not supported. I think I heard the rumor wayyyyyyyy back in the 8r(x) days that TMF was now supported, tried it and was pleasantly supprised when it worked till now. :D

I guess it bears repeating since I couldn't find reference in this thread or on the TyTools site.

I'll re-test with TY files. Is this TY files ONLY that are extracted with TyTool, or are the TY files that MFS_FTP produces kosher for TyTool?

Thanks!!

Pendragn
05-03-2004, 09:06 AM
The tytool.ini file is loaded from the same directory as the executable was run from. If it created a new one in c:\temp\tivo then that is where it thought it was run from. I can't tell you why...

My guess when you tried to create icons it was not a shortcut but rather an copy of the EXE.

My advice. Do a completely new and clean extraction into the new directory. Don't make icons or drag things around. Run the exectuable from there using a dos shell make sure the setting are correct in the GUI and exit. Check the .ini file to make sure the changes were kept. Then try making the icon and you should find whatever your problem was.

--jdiner
There were no icons or shortcuts involved. It was all done from cmd.exe. The only change I made was to copy tytool9r14.exe to tytool.exe in C:\program files\tytool. That was so I could just type "tytool" without having to remember which revision was latest. The directory where I typed "tytool.exe" was c:\temp\tivo. There are no .exe files there, the system is finding tytool.exe in the path statement, and running it out of c:\program files\tytool.

Does that shed some light on it? It's not a huge deal, and certainly not something I can't work around. It just smelled a bit like something you might want to look into. It's a pretty small thing though, I can see other issues being much higher on the priority list. :)

tk

malfunct
05-03-2004, 09:25 AM
There were no icons or shortcuts involved. It was all done from cmd.exe. The only change I made was to copy tytool9r14.exe to tytool.exe in C:\program files\tytool. That was so I could just type "tytool" without having to remember which revision was latest. The directory where I typed "tytool.exe" was c:\temp\tivo. There are no .exe files there, the system is finding tytool.exe in the path statement, and running it out of c:\program files\tytool.

Does that shed some light on it? It's not a huge deal, and certainly not something I can't work around. It just smelled a bit like something you might want to look into. It's a pretty small thing though, I can see other issues being much higher on the priority list. :)

tk

Its the same problem as the shortcut issue, you ran the program in the wrong working path and so it needed to create a new .ini file which is the correct default behavior. This is not a supported scenario (nor do many other program support you putting thier exe in a different directory than the support files and then trying to run them). Worse is that even if you have all the support files in the same directory as tytool.exe, because you are starting it from a different directory than the support files you have the same issue because your working directory will be set wrong.

Anyways, two ok ways to deal with this. First is create a shortcut to tytool in the correct directory and make sure its working path is set to the tytool directory and use that shortcut to start up tytool. Or, if you want to start up from the command line at an arbitrary path then you should make a .cmd (windows NT batch file) that calls tytool in the correct working directory and then put that batch file in the path.

Either way you must start tytool with the correct working path and have all of the tytool support files in that working path in order for it to run correctly.

bato
05-03-2004, 09:32 AM
How about default to Q2 but a way to change to Q1? This way all edits will work right, and only people that can see the difference between Q2 and Q1 and know they can use Q1 will change that? I think most people that have the Q1 problem were able to hexedit TyTool to change that to Q2 without problems.

Pendragn
05-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Its the same problem as the shortcut issue, you ran the program in the wrong working path and so it needed to create a new .ini file which is the correct default behavior. This is not a supported scenario (nor do many other program support you putting thier exe in a different directory than the support files and then trying to run them). Worse is that even if you have all the support files in the same directory as tytool.exe, because you are starting it from a different directory than the support files you have the same issue because your working directory will be set wrong.
Maybe I'm being unclear. All the executables and support files are in C:\Program files\Tytool.
Only .TY files are in C:\temp\tivo.
C:\Program Files\TyTool is in my PATH environment variable. So I can type TyTool.exe in C:\Temp\Tivo and it will execuate the one in C:\Program Files\TyTool. TyTool.exe and TyTool.ini (as well as all the other support files) are in the same directory, C:\Program Files\TyTool.

Now, having said all that, this just might not work, which is fine. I just didn't know if Josh was aware of it. If he is, and he's comfortable with it, then so am I.

tk

malfunct
05-03-2004, 12:54 PM
Maybe I'm being unclear. All the executables and support files are in C:\Program files\Tytool.
Only .TY files are in C:\temp\tivo.
C:\Program Files\TyTool is in my PATH environment variable. So I can type TyTool.exe in C:\Temp\Tivo and it will execuate the one in C:\Program Files\TyTool. TyTool.exe and TyTool.ini (as well as all the other support files) are in the same directory, C:\Program Files\TyTool.

Now, having said all that, this just might not work, which is fine. I just didn't know if Josh was aware of it. If he is, and he's comfortable with it, then so am I.

tk

Still the same working directory issue. Let me see if I can explain.

your files are in c:\program files\tytool and thats in the path. You are at c:\ and type tytool and windows responds by searching the path and finding it. Windows then runs tytool.exe with the working path of c:\ but tytool (by design) needs to run under the working path c:\program files\tytool. Basically you are screwed. The fix is to make a batch file called tytool.cmd that changes directory to c:\program files\tytool and then calls tytool.exe in which case tytool is executed in the correct working directory and all is well. Just make sure that tytool.cmd is in the path and tytool.exe is not so that you force the batch file to run and not the executable directly.

EDIT: BTW its not whether or not JDiner is comfortable with the "problem", this is just how windows works and can't be helped. The only thing that JDiner could do is have a registry setting that specified the location of tytool support files and use that to find things regardless of the working directory. Its a bad solution to something thats not really a problem though. Just start tytool with the correct working directory (which is something most programs require you to do) and everything is fine.

Rowan
05-03-2004, 02:27 PM
BTW its not whether or not JDiner is comfortable with the "problem", this is just how windows works and can't be helped.

That is not true, it is very easy for the program to figure out were it is running from. I do it all the time, here is a small code snipit that show show to get the full path of were the exe is running from, you can then append the inf file name and open it. This would make it so the inf file has to be in the same directory as the exe.

TCHAR fileName[MAX_PATH];
::GetModuleFileName( 0, fileName, MAX_PATH );

// remove program name
while ( strlen( fileName ) && fileName[strlen( fileName ) - 1] != '\\' ) {
fileName[strlen( fileName ) - 1] = '\0';
}

At this point fileName has the complete path and you can just add say "tytool.ini" to the end of the string and you have it.

jdiner
05-03-2004, 02:29 PM
I apologize, my bad. I went back and re-read this thread from the beginning and seem to have missed where the TMF files were not supported. I think I heard the rumor wayyyyyyyy back in the 8r(x) days that TMF was now supported, tried it and was pleasantly supprised when it worked till now. :D

I guess it bears repeating since I couldn't find reference in this thread or on the TyTools site.

I'll re-test with TY files. Is this TY files ONLY that are extracted with TyTool, or are the TY files that MFS_FTP produces kosher for TyTool?

TyTool supports TMF files much better now. But those are 2 seperate tools.

You can use a tool someone else posted about that was in essence just an untar tool that extracted the data from the file and turned it into 1 single .TY style file. Thus no redownload is needed but more disk space is.

As where it was said:

Check the "What does this mean FAQ" for the entry entitled:

Why can't I FAE edit TMF files? - http://www.tytool.com/TyTemplates/FAQ/what/default.aspx#_-_Why_can't

I believe I made it pretty clear there...

--jdiner

jdiner
05-03-2004, 02:33 PM
How about default to Q2 but a way to change to Q1? This way all edits will work right, and only people that can see the difference between Q2 and Q1 and know they can use Q1 will change that? I think most people that have the Q1 problem were able to hexedit TyTool to change that to Q2 without problems.
Why is that we always seem to cater to the few with the problem? Rather than the many that have it working right?

Rather than defaulting to lower quality how about a default of Q1 and an option to go to Q2 if you feel you must?

What I am working on right now is an auto-selection system that detects the CPU type and goes on from there to pick Q2 if you are unlucky enough for this stuff to have an Intel CPU.

The best answer is for someone involved with Cygwin to fix things but from what I have read it isn't even on the horizon at the moment.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-03-2004, 02:41 PM
On the working directory stuff I was trying to keep things portable and as a free of millions of "#ifdef _WIN32" as I could. So I use the getcwd command.

It is support as is by the GCC compiler for linux versions etc...

--jdiner

Pendragn
05-03-2004, 02:43 PM
On the working directory stuff I was trying to keep things portable and as a free of millions of "#ifdef _WIN32" as I could. So I use the getcwd command.

It is support as is by the GCC compiler for linux versions etc...

--jdiner
That's good enough. As long as it's known behavior, I'm good with it.

Malfunct:
Thanks for your explanation, both times. :)

tk

FredThompson
05-03-2004, 03:17 PM
How about default to Q2 but a way to change to Q1? This way all edits will work right, and only people that can see the difference between Q2 and Q1 and know they can use Q1 will change that? I think most people that have the Q1 problem were able to hexedit TyTool to change that to Q2 without problems.Are you seriously advocating a default setting to produce lower quality because some people have problems? Early P4s were known to have bad FPU. It was a huge mess because spreadsheets were giving inconsistent results and the problem was traced to Intel's FPU on the P4. How that affects TyTool's performance, I don't really know. It sure seems a logical root cause because all the problem reports are coming from people with P4 CPUs, aren't they?

FredThompson
05-03-2004, 03:23 PM
@Rowan,

If you want a Windows shortcut, make it from a windows explorer window and right-click on tytool. That will set the proper paths which you can see/edit by right-clicking on the shortcut icon. You will see it has a path to the application as well as a path to the directory in which to run the application. That makes shortcuts more portable. Uh...they're pointer to pointers, essentially.

drnull
05-03-2004, 03:48 PM
It sure seems a logical root cause because all the problem reports are coming from people with P4 CPUs, aren't they?
No, actually, P3's and P-M's are also having the problem. And mine in particular is a NEW P4, I would sure hope they had that problem fixed by now. As jdiner said, it's probably just some cygwin idiocy.

FredThompson
05-03-2004, 03:54 PM
I stand corrected.

(Actually, I'm sitting down. fhfhfhfhfhfbfbfbfbfbffbtbtbtbtbttbtb!!!)

eastwind
05-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Are you seriously advocating a default setting to produce lower quality because some people have problems? Early P4s were known to have bad FPU. It was a huge mess because spreadsheets were giving inconsistent results and the problem was traced to Intel's FPU on the P4. How that affects TyTool's performance, I don't really know. It sure seems a logical root cause because all the problem reports are coming from people with P4 CPUs, aren't they?
Was that early P4s or early Pentiums? I seem to remember something about this back in the middle '90s, but that is way before P4s (I think it was the original Pentium or the Pentium Pro).

ew

malfunct
05-03-2004, 06:00 PM
That is not true, it is very easy for the program to figure out were it is running from. I do it all the time, here is a small code snipit that show show to get the full path of were the exe is running from, you can then append the inf file name and open it. This would make it so the inf file has to be in the same directory as the exe.

TCHAR fileName[MAX_PATH];
::GetModuleFileName( 0, fileName, MAX_PATH );

// remove program name
while ( strlen( fileName ) && fileName[strlen( fileName ) - 1] != '\\' ) {
fileName[strlen( fileName ) - 1] = '\0';
}

At this point fileName has the complete path and you can just add say "tytool.ini" to the end of the string and you have it.

It doesn't matter as far as tytool is concerned because present behavior won't be changed, but I'm curious, does that API return the working directory or the actual path to the exe?

Rowan
05-03-2004, 06:06 PM
It doesn't matter as far as tytool is concerned because present behavior won't be changed, but I'm curious, does that API return the working directory or the actual path to the exe?

It will return the full path (actual path) of the current exe you are running from. That way it does not matter were the exe is in the path you can always find out were it is when it gets started.

larray
05-03-2004, 07:28 PM
TyTool supports TMF files much better now. But those are 2 seperate tools.

You can use a tool someone else posted about that was in essence just an untar tool that extracted the data from the file and turned it into 1 single .TY style file. Thus no redownload is needed but more disk space is.

As where it was said:

Why can't I FAE edit TMF files? - http://www.tytool.com/TyTemplates/FAQ/what/default.aspx#_-_Why_can't

--jdiner

:o - (somewhat sheepish grin) - Ok I get it now:
TMF->TyTool = OK
TMF->TyTool->GOP Editor NOT = OK

Did I get this right? Because the two items I listed earlier were not mutually exclusive. Even without doing FAE in GOPEditor TMF->TyTool->GOP Editor no longer produces a "kosher" MPEG for DVDLab. I'm headed home shortly to test Ty->TyTool->GOP Editor = MPEG->DVDLab. Once again I fully admit that this isn't really your problem, it may be something that I need to take up with Oscar but he isn't really responsive these days to paying customers. It was more of a curiousity about the changes from 9r8 to 9r14 and if there was something "unhinged" or if this was the new & improved & here to stay method. I really do appreciate your work.

I never got to that part of the FAQ because I thought it was all about terminology - I know what TY, TMF, TyTool, GOPEditor, etc were, so I never looked there for what I thougth was a usage issue. Semantics. I now know that what I was trying to do was wrong and that I should have re-read all of the FAQ and not just the 3/4 of it that I thougth applied to me.

Andy

larray
05-03-2004, 11:33 PM
On the two issues I had:
1) FAE editing - my fault - TY edits just fine, just like the aforementioned FAQ states.

2) MPEG for use in 3rd party tools. I am still getting the error "The VOB file has an encrypted video stream. The file cannot be demuxed". This is with the first 'Multiplex file(s)' option. The second 'Multiplex (new format) 2'option creates a slew of: 'We need to do some rebuilding here!' statements, therefore I originally didn't even attempt to use it. Now in testing I get the same "error". TMPGEnc can do I simple demux just fine, but it's a pain to do this for every file when the 3rd party tool used to be able to rip the MPEG apart.

Just thougth folks might be interested in my findings. I can work around it or use the older revision, but in case anyone came here looking for an answer as I did, I thought it might be nice to have one.

Thanks again for a really good tool Josh!

Andy

malfunct
05-03-2004, 11:43 PM
I never got to that part of the FAQ because I thought it was all about terminology - I know what TY, TMF, TyTool, GOPEditor, etc were, so I never looked there for what I thougth was a usage issue. Semantics. I now know that what I was trying to do was wrong and that I should have re-read all of the FAQ and not just the 3/4 of it that I thougth applied to me.

Andy

I thought about suggesting a better name for that section but I just can't come up with anything.

BTW apologies to all for not having 9r14 updates to faq up yet. I am super slammed at work (worked from 6am this morning and its almost 9pm now heh) so I just haven't had the energy to do more documentation in my free time. Also I managed to delete all my extracted video so (stupid windows) and haven't had the desire to look at tytool lately. Its on my list of things to do unless Fred or one of the others get to it first. Again apologies.

Homer S
05-04-2004, 10:23 AM
The old issue with the original Pentium causing errors is discussed in http://www.maa.org/mathland/mathland_5_12.html from 1994. The less old issue with P4's performance, not errors, is discussed in http://www.cdmag.com/articles/031/019/pent4_feature.html from 2000.

It seems to indicate that SSE2 optimized code is the answer.

Pedantic moment over...

Homer Out

Are you seriously advocating a default setting to produce lower quality because some people have problems? Early P4s were known to have bad FPU. It was a huge mess because spreadsheets were giving inconsistent results and the problem was traced to Intel's FPU on the P4. How that affects TyTool's performance, I don't really know. It sure seems a logical root cause because all the problem reports are coming from people with P4 CPUs, aren't they?

tweaky
05-04-2004, 12:18 PM
I can't remember if this has been discussed before (I did search for it, and didn't find anything). One nice feature would be the ability to be able to save all the settings inside the Make Ifo screen. This would allow you to stop half way through making the IFO process and be able to pick it up at a later point. Like I said, it would be *nice*, but not necessary.

BTW, I am working on a Graphical Interface to setting up those template files. In theory, you would load a background and then draw your cell locations on the screen, which would then output the template file for you.

FredThompson
05-04-2004, 07:30 PM
Yeah, the idea was kicked around a bit and Josh had some technical reason for not saving the settings. Maybe some form of optional auto-population used with a template would be helpful for those times your starting list is sorted properly and you just want the titles associated with menu selections.

A graphical layout editor would be real cool. I've found a lot of time is spent trying to get things evenly spaced. The ability to snap fields into alignment/spacing would be really nice. drnull played with the idea of using PowerPoint for layout and translating its files into templates. Maybe there are freely-usable source packages for these types of operations you could build on.

FredThompson
05-04-2004, 07:31 PM
Just thought I'd pass on some feedback from a buddy who is very particular about his projects:

I used 9R14 to key and cut "She's My Weakness" I saved as VOB (new format1) with standard Demux (not vcd/svcd) and patch audio holes - no reencoding. I then demuxed and made as a quick and dirty DVD in DVDlab. Although the audio had to be advanced 200ms for overall correct sync, (as had to be done originally) the audio remained in sync throughout, better than the DVD I made with rerendering in fact. So the new muxing engine and other fixes has improved things. Incidently "NewFormat2 - mpeg" didn't work at all, it choked on the bad parts of the file.

So it looks like vobs created in 9R14 as straight rips, regardless of problems with the stream, will work just fine in DVDlab without audio issues. And doing the whole job was bloody fast..

jdiner
05-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Yeah, the idea was kicked around a bit and Josh had some technical reason for not saving the settings. Maybe some form of optional auto-population used with a template would be helpful for those times your starting list is sorted properly and you just want the titles associated with menu selections.
Saving and loading is in the as yet unreleased next version.

--jdiner

Fugg
05-05-2004, 09:22 AM
:o - (somewhat sheepish grin) - Ok I get it now:
TMF->TyTool = OK

Did I get this right? ...
Andy
Almost.;)

TMF->TyTool = OK
TMF->tmf2ty_cfg->TyTool->GOP Editor = OK

from the Mfs_Ftp thread: (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21915)
tmf2ty_cfg.exe (http://alt.org/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=96&rid=24) is a windows binary that extracts ty from tmf. these ty are insertable with mfs_ftp & compatable with all ty utilities. if savepath.txt is in the directory with tmf2ty_cfg.exe (or in the dir with the tmf under some versions of XP) the first line of the file is used as the output path. these are tcl paths so use forward slashes - "x:/extracts/" "d:/my_recordings/" "v:/video_files/" etc

I think that's it...
:)

jdiner
05-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Ah Interesting. That is precisely what I was looking at adding to TyTool. A stripper for the TMF files to get the output TyStream file. That way people could easily FAE on them without all of the crap I put together for TyTool. Random access in a non-linear file is something of a pain.

--jdiner

larray
05-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Thanks Fugg -

Yeah I've used that for awhile actually back when I first started trying TyTools and the other tool since neither supported TMF. Then it appeared that TMF was supported - at least through the TyTool process, and GOPEditor without FAE. Then I started trying FAE and noticed the change r8 to r14. I can go back to using it, it's pretty quick, if I ever need to do FAE, otherwise GOPEditor without FAE is quick and dirty for TMF's.

My other main concern was with the fact that the MPEG's that are turned out now seem to cause problems in other/3rd party tools that previously were happy with them. (Namely DVDLab). Just curious if it was intended to be that way was all.

Now I see that FredThompson has a different process that I'll have to give a whirl. Fred - what did you use for the second Demux?

Andy

jmhddbf
05-05-2004, 03:31 PM
Do I have to erase all the old TyTool files from my TiVo?

Also, when I make an mpeg video, the dimensions are wrong. looks like 3x3 rather than 4x3. Is there a way to get regular NTSC dimensions without using a 3rd party app to stretch it?

Waruwaru
05-05-2004, 04:00 PM
Do I have to erase all the old TyTool files from my TiVo?

Also, when I make an mpeg video, the dimensions are wrong. looks like 3x3 rather than 4x3. Is there a way to get regular NTSC dimensions without using a 3rd party app to stretch it?

If you have a stand-alone Tivo, I believe you can use TivoWeb to set the recording resolution. But if you have a DTivo, you are stuck at 480x480, and have to convert to a different resolution after extraction.

jmhddbf
05-05-2004, 04:19 PM
If you have a stand-alone Tivo, I believe you can use TivoWeb to set the recording resolution

I do have a SA TiVo... but there's no option in my TivoWeb for it... I have v1.9.4.

FredThompson
05-05-2004, 04:24 PM
But if you have a DTivo, you are stuck at 480x480, and have to convert to a different resolution after extraction.480x480 or 352x480. One of my locals does the lower res (yeah, it sucks)

FredThompson
05-05-2004, 04:26 PM
See the attached image. The sanity check worked properly, it prevented overlapping cuts. The error message isn't correct. Perhaps there should be one which explains when overlapping cuts are rejected.

Waruwaru
05-05-2004, 04:59 PM
I do have a SA TiVo... but there's no option in my TivoWeb for it... I have v1.9.4.

I found this thread (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12736&highlight=tivoweb+recording+resolution) using keywods tivoweb recording resolution, see if it's useful for you.

malfunct
05-05-2004, 06:29 PM
480x480 or 352x480. One of my locals does the lower res (yeah, it sucks)

I got a stream a bit ago that was like 502 or 526 by 320 or something really off the wall. I guess the thing to remember is on DTivo you get whatever DTV sends you and they have been messing with the resolution lately.

FredThompson
05-05-2004, 06:40 PM
One of my PBS locals went to 352 almost all the time about 2 months ago. Josh mentioned some really odd stuff one of his locals, 478 or something like that, I don't really remember.

A tech buddy of mine explained that you need 480 or greater to properly reflect VHS-level. That surprised me. I thought 352 (1/2 D1) would be enough. He said you need greater to represent the edges. Long story short, 352 stinks. It's too soft. I've compared the same show from 352 and 480 with comparable bitrates. 352 is really only useful for desperation fills given the quality of 480.

BustedSony
05-06-2004, 05:34 AM
One of my PBS locals went to 352 almost all the time about 2 months ago. Josh mentioned some really odd stuff one of his locals, 478 or something like that, I don't really remember.

A tech buddy of mine explained that you need 480 or greater to properly reflect VHS-level. That surprised me. I thought 352 (1/2 D1) would be enough. He said you need greater to represent the edges. Long story short, 352 stinks. It's too soft. I've compared the same show from 352 and 480 with comparable bitrates. 352 is really only useful for desperation fills given the quality of 480.

It's the two-thirds rule. Take a vertical line one pixel wide, it uses one pixel on the leading edge, one on the trailing edge, thus three pixels = the two edges used to define an object. Actually you can add about 5 % to the figures..

With 480 pixels being the NTSC standard vertical count.. ..

352 X 480 = 234 lines. VHS = 230 lines.
480 X 480 = 320 lines. Laserdisc = 390 lines with a rollof after 320 or so. SVHS = 320 to 360 lines.
720 X 480 = 480 lines, the rated resolution for D1 DVD.

It's noteworth that 352 X 480 is a standard for low bitrate, long-playing VHS- resolution DVDs, whereas 480 X 480 is NOT a standard and will not scale properly on some players, particularly Toshibas. Setting aside issues of GOP length and muxing issues the normal 480 X 480 size of Dtivo streams is the main incompatibility issue with DVD players. A 352 X 480 stream is actually more likely to work properly.

FredThompson
05-06-2004, 06:17 AM
In theory, yes, 352 would be ok for VHS. Try to get a perfect analog capture from VHS...

There's a huge debate/investigation about this going on behind the scenes at doom9. They're working on a big guide about video cqapture/processing which will provide some useful stuff to help people understand digital video. Don't have a release date on it, though.

jdiner
05-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Yes there is. Do a search for it. Many many here use it.

It is not an option on the recording. But rather you have to alter one of your recording settings (Basic thru Best) to do it and then use that recording setting on new shows.

But that has nothing to do with TyTool...

--jdiner

jdiner
05-06-2004, 03:56 PM
See the attached image. The sanity check worked properly, it prevented overlapping cuts. The error message isn't correct. Perhaps there should be one which explains when overlapping cuts are rejected.
Alright. I was cutting and pasting. I guess I just forgot to change the reason text string.

--jdiner

jmhddbf
05-07-2004, 07:58 AM
Yes there is. Do a search for it... But that has nothing to do with TyTool...

Where in TivoWeb? I did a search and couldn't find it. I'm talking about the resolution... "aspect ratio." Not the quality of the video (bitrate). That, I know you can use TiVoWeb to change.

Someone else said the tivo records in the standard 4x3 format... Coudl there be a problem with the TyTool settings that's making it extract video squared at 3x3?

sanderton
05-07-2004, 08:23 AM
Where in TivoWeb? I did a search and couldn't find it. I'm talking about the resolution... "aspect ratio." Not the quality of the video (bitrate). That, I know you can use TiVoWeb to change.

Someone else said the tivo records in the standard 4x3 format... Coudl there be a problem with the TyTool settings that's making it extract video squared at 3x3?

The same TW screen which lets you change bitrate also lets you change resolution, but it's not supported by all TiVos and all software versions. Res 0 is the highest.

TyTool extracts the video Tivo has recorded; it does not change the video data in any way. 480 x 480 is 4:3. It's also 16:9. :) It's the shape of the pixels which changes on output - nothing to do with the recorded video data.

mike0151
05-08-2004, 12:42 PM
Josh

I have seen this mentioned before but not an answer. TyTool 9r13c works fine for me but using the same procedure (get, make key file, edit key file, Multiplex (New type 2)) causes loads of "We need to do some rebuilding here!" messages and the resulting mpg is corrupted. The same messages and corruption occur for the old Multiplex option as well in 9r14. This happens on all programs I try, on both my TiVos.

UK TiVo 2.5.5
Win2k Pro on AMD Thunderbird 1400 or WinXP Pro on AMD XP3200+

I have tried both 9r13c and 9r14 on the same file from the same TiVo, works fine in 13c but corruptions in 14.

If I can provide any more info, please let me know.

FredThompson
05-08-2004, 01:18 PM
I have seen this mentioned before but not an answer.

Multiplex (New type 2))

That's output form is busted. Use Vob-MUX.

russell
05-09-2004, 02:07 AM
Hi, I'm having trouble with the frame editor.

If I use the FAE to set frame cut points, then one of two things happens:

- If I use the old VOB-muxer, it uses an enormous amount of memory and never actually writes anything to the .VOB file. When I watch Task Manager, the memory usage goes continually upwards while it's mux'ing, and the extra memory isn't released until the program is closed.

- If I use the new VOB-muxer, there's no memory problem, and it creates the .VOB file, but there's no sound in the file. If I use "movieidw.exe" to show the details of the .VOB file, it says it's "video only". If I try to play the VOB file with PowerDVD, there's no audio and it shows "Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 - 0 Kbps".

If I use only the GOP editor, everything works perfectly. The problem only occurs if I set one or more frame cut points.

I'm using TyTool 9r14 with cygwin1.dll (dated Feb. 18, 2004).

One thing to note about my usage is that this is a series 1 SA Tivo from the US, but I'm using it in Australia with PAL video. I'm not using the original NTSC tuner, only the AV input.

I'd be happy to post samples of anything you'd like to see. Thanks!

Russell

mike0151
05-09-2004, 05:52 AM
That's output form is busted. Use Vob-MUX.

Thanks for that - I didn't think of trying it as I don't use TyTool for DVDs.

jmcclain
05-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Yup, and worse, once you pick the new format, it seems like it gets "stuck", so that you have to restart the TyTool to pick the original mux operation. But just stick with that and you are fine.

BTW, JDINER, any chance you could make a template entry/config on the ISO/Menu creation to change the FONT color? White is invisible on a lot of BMP's that I'm using.

I also noticed that if you change the directory output option in the "create ISO", it doesn't seem to pick up/recognize the change unless you do another "set item". Basically, if I set everything up, and the output directory was pointing to an already existing location, I get the "already exist" error/dialog. Just changing the directory at that point, you keep getting the error until you click on one of the set items, and then the new output directory seems to get picked up. No big deal.

Thanks for all your work on this,

-JM

jdiner
05-09-2004, 03:35 PM
Yup, and worse, once you pick the new format, it seems like it gets "stuck", so that you have to restart the TyTool to pick the original mux operation. But just stick with that and you are fine.
It's called a bug. Believe it or not I don't always have as much time for working on things as I would like.

--jdiner

A.C.
05-10-2004, 01:05 PM
I want to preface this by saying the only type of cut program I've used is tystudio, so everything I assume I should be seeing is because I see it in tystudio.

I'm having trouble cutting with GOPEditor. There's what happens. I load the key file and it seems to load just fine. I see the show that I want to cut. Now the first part of what comes up, I want to cut, because at this point the movie hasn't started. So I click "Add". But nothing happens. I would assume I should see something in the cut list, but don't. All I get it a computer beep, like it's telling me I'm doing an illegal operation. Is there a good step by step on how to use this program? Thanks

OutlawPro
05-10-2004, 01:13 PM
Because you haven't defined a start or end point to your cut if all you are doing is loading a key file and then clicking the "Add" button.

A.C.
05-10-2004, 01:34 PM
Ahhhh....Got it. Thanks....

MacJunkie
05-10-2004, 07:00 PM
I am having trouble getting Tytool 9r14 to pickup the .chp file for my chapters.

I choose chapters in the creation process, but the DVD comes out with only one chapter.

I have tried various naming formats for the .chp file-- the default name of name.ty.vob.chp, which tytool creates, name.vob.chp, name.chp, but none of them seem to work. I always make sure that the name matches the .vob file.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for all of the wonderful development on this program!

eastwind
05-10-2004, 07:12 PM
I am having trouble getting Tytool 9r14 to pickup the .chp file for my chapters.

I choose chapters in the creation process, but the DVD comes out with only one chapter.

I have tried various naming formats for the .chp file-- the default name of name.ty.vob.chp, which tytool creates, name.vob.chp, name.chp, but none of them seem to work. I always make sure that the name matches the .vob file.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for all of the wonderful development on this program!
Most likely has something to do with changing the "Output Directory" at the wrong time. YMMV, but I would say put everything (including executables and .TYs) in the same directory and make that your Output Directory as well. Then try it to see if it works properly. I think, but I am having trouble remembering for sure, that you need to set the Output Directory at the start of the session before Editing the KEY file. But the way I outlined first should work for a start until you can track it down for sure.

ew

jdiner
05-10-2004, 10:47 PM

Why are you renaming it at all. It is created by TyTool with the 1 name that is needed and that is then used later in the automated processed with TyTool.

It should be, and has for some time been, made in the proper destination. I have found 1 recent problem. With all of the recent changes for the key files people were not removing old key files and were making new key files. They stepped up in names like everything else -1, -2, -3, and so on. When you make a cut file you get it with that name: -1.ty.cut, -2.ty.cut and so on.

However since the name of the .cut file has to start the same as the name of the .ty file and it does not in this way people were running into problems.

But this has nothing to do with the .chp file. Nothing in there is manually editable. It will be created by TyTool and then later used. You should leave it alone.

--jdiner

electrocit
05-10-2004, 11:09 PM
Hi I've been using the tytools set on my pc and love it! My girl friend wants to be able to use tytools too, but she is on a Mac running OSX is there a version new or old that she could use? or is she just out of luck?. Thanks for the help

zodiacal
05-11-2004, 12:10 AM
Where can i download just vsplit.exe?

Hamsterman
05-11-2004, 01:33 AM
Thanks, jdiner, for this great utility. 9r14 came out just in time to make Clone Wars. It took 4 ty/VOBs & 20 chapters, and it came out really nice. Still, I hope Clone Wars is included in the final DVD set when it comes out.

I did notice a couple oddities about chaptering. If I chose 'chapter at cuts', it worked great the first time I did it, but after that (I left out a cut) I re-vobmuxed one of the tys and re-did the IFO. The result was weird-the chapters weren't anywhere near the cuts, even in the vobs I didn't change. I restarted TyTool, built the IFO again, and it worked fine.

Earlier, I had tried chaptering by creating the chapter points when editing. The chapter points were in the 1st GOP after the cuts. That didn't work at all, the chapters only happened at the beginning of the VOBs. Perhaps the chapter points were too close or were 'cut out'.

Hamsterman
SAT-T60 WinXP Home

MacJunkie
05-11-2004, 07:10 AM
I have read the docs, but I can't find which files I would need to keep if I want to make chapters at the cuts. I can get chapters at the cuts if I keep the cut files, but my problem is that I thought it work if I had only the chp and vob files, so now I have lots of vobs with chps, but no cut files because I deleted them after I made the vobs...(yeah I know...that was a dumb newbie mistake).

Can I get chapters at the chapter points listed in the chp file if I have only the chp and vob files?

Forgive me for being a newbie..I'm almost there...still learning.

Thanks!

jatf
05-11-2004, 10:16 AM
As where it was said:

--jdiner

I had not read this FAQ and so when I saw this link I went to follow it. My connection was refused to both the link and to www.tytool.com. Do I need to apply for access? or is it no longer publicly available?

--JATF

rob2k1
05-11-2004, 10:44 AM
I had not read this FAQ and so when I saw this link I went to follow it. My connection was refused to both the link and to www.tytool.com. Do I need to apply for access? or is it no longer publicly available?

--JATF

It's the server not responding. I'm going to have it rebooted asap.

Robbie

eastwind
05-11-2004, 01:46 PM
I have read the docs, but I can't find which files I would need to keep if I want to make chapters at the cuts. I can get chapters at the cuts if I keep the cut files, but my problem is that I thought it work if I had only the chp and vob files, so now I have lots of vobs with chps, but no cut files because I deleted them after I made the vobs...(yeah I know...that was a dumb newbie mistake).

Can I get chapters at the chapter points listed in the chp file if I have only the chp and vob files?

Forgive me for being a newbie..I'm almost there...still learning.

Thanks!
Open the CHP files in a text editor and see what's there. If you only have a STOP entry, then using that CHP file will be next to worthless. If there's a list of CHAP entries, it should work just fine.

ew

MacJunkie
05-11-2004, 01:50 PM
The chp file has time code entries in it.

I am unable to get a dvd with chapters by using just a vob and a chp file.

I have tried having the tytool stuff in the same dir as the vob files...also tried different output dirs..but still no luck.

Should I be able to create a dvd with chapters with only vob/chp files?

Thanks!

jdiner
05-11-2004, 01:58 PM
Where can i download just vsplit.exe?
The only versions of it are quite old at this point. Going to make some changes and get it released soon. I had planned to do so by now, but work and other requirements on my time have me totally swamped...

--jdiner

jdiner
05-11-2004, 02:04 PM
Hi I've been using the tytools set on my pc and love it! My girl friend wants to be able to use tytools too, but she is on a Mac running OSX is there a version new or old that she could use? or is she just out of luck?. Thanks for the help
She is out of luck. There is no mac version at the moment. There are mac bins for the older vsplit releases but that is the console app. No editing features (I.e. no GopEditor) etc...

I have been looking at a way to get better mac support. But at the moment it is still just in the planning stage. At least part of the reason why is that I have no access to the console of a mac. I was using remote access before to compile and test the shell process.

I know nothing of native GUI programming on the mac. Which would mean a more generic system, something like wxWindows/java/or ??? would be required, but I have no idea what is "commonly" in use on the mac to try and get such things built.

--jdiner

stealthdave
05-11-2004, 03:02 PM
I know nothing of native GUI programming on the mac. Which would mean a more generic system, something like wxWindows/java/or ??? would be required, but I have no idea what is "commonly" in use on the mac to try and get such things built.

--jdiner

One option that's becoming more popular is the Qt library from Trolltech (http://www.trolltech.com). It's available in Free (GPL) and non-Free flavors, although the non-Free version is a bit pricy ($3320 for an OS X/X11/Win32 license). I've heard very good things from developers who have used it, saying that it's quite easy to pick up and very well organized as toolkits go. I would guess that $3320 is a bit much for developing a free tool, though.

There's also FLTK (http://www.fltk.org/), which is LGPL and cross platform for OS X/X11/Win32. wxWidgets (http://wxwindows.org/) (the new name for wxWindows) is basically LGPL. I've heard that GTK2 (http://gtk.org) is nice, but there's no native Mac OS X port (although it can be used with X11).

Java would be great as it would allow many platforms to use it without recompiling, etc, but I'm not aware of any java mpeg2 libraries. Perhaps a Java front-end to a natively compiled console app?

Just my marginally informed $0.02. :)

- Stealth Dave

Rowan
05-11-2004, 03:29 PM
Java would be great as it would allow many platforms to use it without recompiling, etc, but I'm not aware of any java mpeg2 libraries. Perhaps a Java front-end to a natively compiled console app?
- Stealth Dave

Good idea.

The UI could use Java and the rest could be in native code that is called via JNI. This would allow the UI to work on all kinds of platforms but the native underlying code would need to be compiled for each platform.

jdiner
05-11-2004, 04:20 PM
One option that's becoming more popular is the Qt library from Trolltech (http://www.trolltech.com). It's available in Free (GPL) and non-Free flavors...
That is the big problem for me. Without getting into it yet again I am not going to change the licensing on my code to get YAG for a machine I don't even own. But I have also heard good things about it.

Just my marginally informed $0.02. :)
Of all of the above this is my own choice. I have worked with it off and on for years and so there is no learning curve when it comes to that. Standard support is easy to get for unix/linux/freebsd. But what about the MAC? I have no idea how accessible Java is for it.

--jdiner

MacJunkie
05-11-2004, 05:24 PM
I'm having problems making dvd chapters using a chp file. The chapters work if I just choose every x minutes.

Tytool doesn't appear to be using the chp file. Any ideas?

The chp file has the proper timecodes in it and it is named the same as the ty file.

Thanks for your help!

Scott326
05-11-2004, 05:33 PM
I am unable to get a dvd with chapters by using just a vob and a chp file.
I've had some trouble too when adding chapter points in 9r14. The chapter points show up in the .cut file, but when I use the new format VOB-Mux they don't make it into my .chp file and therefore not onto the DVD.

If I use the old VOB-Mux, then my .chp file does have all the chapter points.

jdiner, thanks for the fantastic tool and all the work you've put into this!!!!

Scott

Scott326
05-11-2004, 05:36 PM
The chp file has the proper timecodes in it and it is named the same as the ty file.
I guess you're seeing something different from me if you see them listed in the .chp file. I don't think I've had any trouble if they make it that far.

Scott

stealthdave
05-11-2004, 05:40 PM
Of all of the above [java] is my own choice. I have worked with it off and on for years and so there is no learning curve when it comes to that. Standard support is easy to get for unix/linux/freebsd. But what about the MAC? I have no idea how accessible Java is for it.

--jdiner

OS X has excellent Java support, better than almost any other OS, IMO. Java apps look and feel just like any other Aqua app, and integrate seemlessly into the ui. If you're comfortable making a Java front-end, that's probably your best option for Mac compatibility. All of the open source tools that TyTools uses will compile quite nicely on OS X using Fink (http://fink.sf.net) or other tools, so that shouldn't be a problem. Java also has the added advantage of supporting Linux, FreeBSD, etc. :) If you need help creating packages or testing, let me know. I'd be happy to help.

- Stealth Dave

malfunct
05-11-2004, 06:04 PM
Good idea.

The UI could use Java and the rest could be in native code that is called via JNI. This would allow the UI to work on all kinds of platforms but the native underlying code would need to be compiled for each platform.

Only problem with using Java would be rendering the video fast enough. I know there have been improvements in this arena but I think its still too slow (especially on Mac as I have seen in a java based animated game I like to play). I think supporting multiple platforms would be nice and all but it seems like a large cost and there are features that are still on JDiners to do list that seem more important to him.

Waruwaru
05-11-2004, 07:02 PM

I am curious as to which aspect of TyTool does Mac crowd need? If mfs_ftp offered direct .vob/.mpg download, would that be good enough for the Mac folks? Mac users can just use other tools to cut/remove/merge using other tools, right? Maybe we can get rid of a bottleneck to ease some pain. Or is it because of the price tag+single suite combo that is attractive?

Only problem with using Java would be rendering the video fast enough. I know there have been improvements in this arena but I think its still too slow (especially on Mac as I have seen in a java based animated game I like to play).

Hmmm, is TyTools really graphics intensive? Maybe I am missing something obvious, but I think when I used TyTool, the most intensive part is calculation (converting from one format to another, generate key..etc). The most graphics intensive thing I see, is the slider preview on GOPEditor... Even Java should be able to handle that. :)

Rowan
05-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Only problem with using Java would be rendering the video fast enough. I know there have been improvements in this arena but I think its still too slow (especially on Mac as I have seen in a java based animated game I like to play). I think supporting multiple platforms would be nice and all but it seems like a large cost and there are features that are still on JDiners to do list that seem more important to him.

I totaly agree about the video side of things and speed issues. There have been some improvments on the Java side that would help things out but it would proably take a lot of tunning.

It would take a lot of work so I would rather see other work done first. I also don't own a Mac.

BigBoris
05-12-2004, 12:56 AM
First off, I'm sorry I haven't taken the time to say this yet, but: "Great tool! Woohoo!"

That said, I've run into two problems:

1. #9r14 doesn't seem to want to work with my template (attached) like #9r12 did. When I try to load the template I get the attached error messages one right after another. I've reverted to #9r12 and that seems to take this same template file just fine.

2. In #9r12 and previous, the text in the menus looks much worse than what is shown on the preview screen. I've included a screen shot of the preview screen and the menu as rendered by PowerDVD. The same degradation happens on both my Sony and Apex players. Could this be some sort of 704 vs 720 scaling thing?

Finally, I've put together an Excel spreadsheet for myself to help calculate button coordinates for use in template files. I'll post it here as soon as I iron out a few kinks.

Thanks again for the great tool!

Boris.

FredThompson
05-12-2004, 01:33 AM
1) The BITMAP command in the template appears to be busted

2) TyTool highlights are 2 colors, white and red. You're source text is antisaliased and has very small gaps. That's not a good font for video, especially MPEG2. Look at stuff in my tytool techniques thread to find methods which might help.

dlang
05-12-2004, 01:36 AM
She is out of luck. There is no mac version at the moment. There are mac bins for the older vsplit releases but that is the console app. No editing features (I.e. no GopEditor) etc...

I have been looking at a way to get better mac support. But at the moment it is still just in the planning stage. At least part of the reason why is that I have no access to the console of a mac. I was using remote access before to compile and test the shell process.

--jdiner
Mac OS-X is *nix with X-windows so if/when you do something for one *nix you should be able to just re-compile it on a Mac system (assuming the libraries you choose to use are supported)

David Lang

BigBoris
05-12-2004, 02:40 AM
1) The BITMAP command in the template appears to be bustedDo you mean in my template or in the template handling in #9r14. If it's in my file what do you think is wrong? I've looked at it for a long time, tried a couple of different tweaks, and even read the docs again...

2) TyTool highlights are 2 colors, white and red. You're source text is antisaliased and has very small gaps. That's not a good font for video, especially MPEG2. Look at stuff in my tytool techniques thread to find methods which might help.Your note about the antialiasing got me thinking and I think I've found the problem. It looks like there is an issue with how the "overlay.bmp" file is created interacting with the user's Windows (system-wide) "font smoothing" setting. If font smoothing is turned off the problem doesn't occur. If it is set to "standard" the problem is there but isn't too bad. If the setting is on "ClearType" then the overlay is very bad. I'm guessing that Windows wants to antialias the text and how it does it doesn't play well with the fact that the result has to be a 1-bit bitmap. I've attached "overlay.bmp" files generated from the same menu with only the font smoothing setting changing.

Even without the ClearType overlay.bmp problem, the MPEG artifacts on the menu are still fairly harsh in my opinion. This may be overcome by raising (if possible) the quality settings used by mpeg2enc when converting the menu to MPEG.

LordJohnWhorfin
05-12-2004, 02:56 AM
Looks like the MIPS binary for tserver is still broken in this package. I get the dreaded:

Failed to open []
Not a TiVo super block! (magic=0x00000000)

I replaced it with MuscleNerd's build (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/attachment.php/attachmentid=1905) which seems to work fine.

FredThompson
05-12-2004, 02:59 AM
It looks to me like a bug in TyTool. Josh will have to determine that. Remove that line and the template works.

Anti-aliasing does not affect the overlay at all. If you compare closely, you should see every pixel which is white in the overlay will be white or a "blended" pixel if anti-aliasing is turned on. ClearType is designed for LCDs and typical usage like high contrast text/background.

Josh is happy with solid red plain text in his menus. I don't like it and my use of screen space is different than his. That's why I modify the overlay when TyTool is done as described in the techniques thread.

Overlay is a lossless bitmap. The background is a single-frame MPEG. Your font choice gives poor results because the gaps inside the letters are so small. Additionally, high-contrast between colors can cause problems. MPEG uses a pixel's neighbors to influence what it should look like. It works pretty well for natural subjects but not CGI.

I assume the corruption you mention is that junk around the text. Yes, that's an unfortunate result of the encoder and your source. The edges of your characters are really goofy. light blue is not halfway between white and your background. Josh has mentioned looking for a better encoder to help with those problems.

FredThompson
05-12-2004, 03:00 AM
mips works for me. It does sometimes report errors upon starting but does take the commands from TyTool just fine.

Pete Ruttman
05-12-2004, 10:44 AM
Looks like the MIPS binary for tserver is still broken in this package. I get the dreaded:

Failed to open []
Not a TiVo super block! (magic=0x00000000)

I replaced it with MuscleNerd's build (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/attachment.php/attachmentid=1905) which seems to work fine.

Isn't MuscleNerd's version out of date now?

Pete

bfisher
05-12-2004, 01:31 PM
I have a problem video that I have tried to get working twice and can't. It's not a big deal to me, I'll just watch the race (it was the F1 race from the weekend) when I'm home on my TiVo, but wondered if you wanted to take a look at it to fix whatever is causing it.

The VOB works fine for about the first hour or so. Then it starts having sound issues (plays very short 1/2 second 'blips'). Video seems fine, but sometimes '****s'. Program plays fine on the DTiVo.

First time, I downloaded it in multiplex mode. Second time, I downloaded in tystream mode and then Vob-Muxed it. Same results both ways.

Reading through the log file, everything looks normal except the following:

Found an OOB packet... The Video Diff is: 01:07:07.590
BBB the PTS was bad, but the new SEQ check lines up|!?
Found an OOB packet... The Audio Diff is: 00:00:00.024
It is in sequence... Everything is fine...

WARNING: Found a video skip that is > 3 @ 526

let me know if you want me to send you some of the file (or whatever).

BigBoris
05-12-2004, 04:22 PM
Anti-aliasing does not affect the overlay at all. If you compare closely, you should see every pixel which is white in the overlay will be white or a "blended" pixel if anti-aliasing is turned on. ClearType is designed for LCDs and typical usage like high contrast text/backgroundAs per my "experiments" the font-smoothing (antialiasing) setting you have selected on your machine when you build the menu with TyTool most certainly does affect the look of the overlay.bmp file. If you examine the overlay.bmp files I attached previously you'll note that they differ. They should be identical as they were created using the same TyTool settings. The font-smoothing setting on the system is the only thing that changed between the pictures. I would guess that the white text output to the overlay file is antialiased (or not) based on the system's settings at the time before it is converted to a 1-bit bitmap. I'm guessing that the code that generates the overlay.bmp file converts any pixel that is not 100% black into white. This should either be a 50% threshold or (preferably) the text should not be antialiased by Windows in the first place.

Compared to the antialising issue, the MPEG artifacts are fairly minor. I'm just curious if they could be reduced by upping the quality or max bandwidth setting on the encoder when doing the menus.

FredThompson
05-12-2004, 07:04 PM
There is no requirement to use anti-aliasing. It is a technique used to reduce visual jagginess on curves. Some people like it, some people don't. The only reason it becomes a challenge with ty-tool is a 4-color palette limitation of DVD bitmap overlays.

Thinking about it some more, yes, it's possible to hint a font such that rendering it with anti-aliasing enabled would yield a different set of used pixels. These fonts are defined as curves, not absolute pixels. It's possible that a pixel would be chosen for partial shading because of the influence of it's neighbors given how curves work.

The font you've chosen is a particularly nasty one at the size you're rendering. There are large 2-pixel gaps. It sure looks to me as if the problem is coming about because the font definition has borderline values in ALL those gaps. You've also got some really horrible chroma results on the edges of the fonts.

You have a choice, use it as is, render without anti-aliasing, or manually modify the results.

Read the thread about tytool techniques to learn some of the basics of manual modification. Manually tweaking the results, even if just to create a different overlay, is probably going to give you the best results. After many trials, I settled on a manual method which works with all backgrounds and doesn't limit how the text is used. It takes me about a minute after an IFO/VOB set is generated to do the tweaks, sometimes less.

I can tell you from experience, trimming an overlay so it is thinner than the "source" letters looks lousy most of the time.

Selecting a background with enough complexity will help to visually hide the mosquito noise around harsh edges like the white fonts. IIRC, I asked Josh about a higher datarate to help remove those. He said it's not the amount of data used for the image, it's how the data is compressed.

There must be some "tricks" used to make commercial menus look nicer. I suspect one of them is to render the font with off-color tints to reduce mosquito noise then non-highlight overlays with pure color on the non-aliased pixels. There's no easy way to test this theory within TyTool as your background text can be any color you want as long as it's white.

BigBoris
05-12-2004, 07:22 PM
You have a choice, use it as is, render without anti-aliasing, or manually modify the results.I guess I'm not effectively communicating the problem I'm seeing.

I understand that, should I want to, there are ways to tweak the overlays, etc. However, it is a bug that the behavior of TyTool when creating the menu and associated overlay.bmp file differs depending on whether font smoothing is turned on for the system as a whole. If antialiasing is turned on for the system then TyTool seems to try to antialias text on the overlay.bmp. This is a not a choice that is presented to the user.

I use ClearType as I think that this results in more readable text when using my computer. However, it is obvious to me that, in this case, antialiasing text when creating the overlay.bmp is wrong. TyTool should render the text on the overlay.bmp as non antialiased regardless of the setting of the user's computer overall. In my opinion, forcing the user to go to the Display control panel and turn off antialiasing in order to create a DVD menu isn't really a "choice".

FredThompson
05-12-2004, 07:44 PM
I'm not sure it's really a "bug", as such, or more of an issue of how DirectShow works with fonts. I've never seen a case where the overlay didn't fully match the background text but I'm using anti-aliasing and Win2K. ClearType isn't an available option.

You're comparing the source lossless bitmap and the overlay, correct? You're not using the encoded background in your comparison, right?

The last time this came up there was some mention of selectively enabling anti-aliasing. Frankly, I don't remember if it was discussed due to results in the overlay. We did look at ways to tell if it's enabled or not and how to turn it on/off. The only reason to do so would sure seem to be what you describe.

IIRC, snoopy (?) looked at ClearType and there was some confusion initially because that's technically a method for anti-aliasing and not everyone uses WinXP.

It's been a few weeks and I really don't remember all the details. I use a modified character or outlines as pointers, not the text itself.

BigBoris
05-12-2004, 08:52 PM
I'm not sure it's really a "bug", as such, or more of an issue of how DirectShow works with fonts. I've never seen a case where the overlay didn't fully match the background text but I'm using anti-aliasing and Win2K. ClearType isn't an available option.I think that the problem also exists on Win2K with the anti-aliasing turned on. It's just that with ClearType it is much worse. The Windows default is that if a user has anti-aliasing turned on then fonts are rendered anti-aliased unless the program specifies otherwise.

You're comparing the source lossless bitmap and the overlay, correct?Yes, I am looking at the lossless bitmaps before they are MPEG encoded.

The last time this came up there was some mention of selectively enabling anti-aliasing. Frankly, I don't remember if it was discussed due to results in the overlay. We did look at ways to tell if it's enabled or not and how to turn it on/off. The only reason to do so would sure seem to be what you describe.Until now I have been blissfully unaware of how TyTool is implemented. I just looked it up and if the app is calling Win32 functions directly then the fdwQuality parameter of the CreateFont (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/gdi/fontext_8fp0.asp) function is the key and should be set to NONANTIALIASED_QUALITY. This should disable anti-aliasing (both standard and ClearType) for the logical font.

FredThompson
05-12-2004, 09:36 PM
If you search the old threads for discussions of anti-aliasing you'll se there is a registry setting. Clear it before rendering the overlay then reset to the original setting afterwards.

DVD overlay has 4 possible sets of 4 color values. Look at the IfoEdit screengrab in the tytool techniques thread and you'll see this. Theoretically, it should be possible to render a 3-color anti-alised font with the null value and use those.

Another option, which is rarely used for commercial DVDs but you can see it if you have a copy of "On the Town" is semi-transparent selection markers with alpha blending. That's my personal preference because the effect of interference with the background is minimal. It might be possible to do an inverted selection marker where everything NOT selected is darkened by an overlaying mask. Dunno if that can be done but it would be cool.

Other things I've thought about are picutres of people and their cheeks or eyes are the red highlight, etc.

BigBoris
05-12-2004, 09:55 PM
If you search the old threads for discussions of anti-aliasing you'll se there is a registry setting. Clear it before rendering the overlay then reset to the original setting afterwards.Assuming you mean that the TyTool app should modify this setting, this is a bad idea. It would probably work but would also impact any other applications running at the same time. Furthermore, since the registry setting you're talking about is presumably system-wide, if TyTool were to crash while rendering the overlay.bmp (unlikely but possible) it would leave the user's system in a bad state and force them to re-enable font smoothing manually. Regardless, if TyTool is calling Win32 APIs then chaning one parameter in the CreateFont call would be the easier fix.

DVD overlay has 4 possible sets of 4 color values. Look at the IfoEdit screengrab in the tytool techniques thread and you'll see this. Theoretically, it should be possible to render a 3-color anti-alised font with the null value and use those.

Another option, which is rarely used for commercial DVDs but you can see it if you have a copy of "On the Town" is semi-transparent selection markers with alpha blending. That's my personal preference because the effect of interference with the background is minimal. It might be possible to do an inverted selection marker where everything NOT selected is darkened by an overlaying mask. Dunno if that can be done but it would be cool.

Other things I've thought about are picutres of people and their cheeks or eyes are the red highlight, etc.
This is interesting stuff I will have to look into it further just for my own education.

FredThompson
05-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Assuming you mean that the TyTool app should modify this setting, this is a bad idea. It would probably work but would also impact any other applications running at the same time. Furthermore, since the registry setting you're talking about is presumably system-wide, if TyTool were to crash while rendering the overlay.bmp (unlikely but possible) it would leave the user's system in a bad state and force them to re-enable font smoothing manually. Regardless, if TyTool is calling Win32 APIs then chaning one parameter in the CreateFont call would be the easier fix.
Ah, you're absolutely correct.

malfunct
05-14-2004, 12:46 PM
I think that the problem also exists on Win2K with the anti-aliasing turned on. It's just that with ClearType it is much worse. The Windows default is that if a user has anti-aliasing turned on then fonts are rendered anti-aliased unless the program specifies otherwise.

Yes, I am looking at the lossless bitmaps before they are MPEG encoded.

Until now I have been blissfully unaware of how TyTool is implemented. I just looked it up and if the app is calling Win32 functions directly then the fdwQuality parameter of the CreateFont (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/gdi/fontext_8fp0.asp) function is the key and should be set to NONANTIALIASED_QUALITY. This should disable anti-aliasing (both standard and ClearType) for the logical font.

Sounds like we have enough info here for a FAQ item regarding the affect of the font anti-aliasing on the quality of the overlay. I will add it. (no time to get to 9r14 yet but this should be quick and generated a TON of discussion earlier)

jdiner
05-17-2004, 01:50 AM
Alright. I think I have my head above water again. I haven't had a chance to look at anything for some time now. I have some plans and things that I want to see get into the mix. But I have to have a bit of time to get it them into place.

So this is mainly a heads up that there is more to come. The next big thing will be getting vsplit up to date. I want to get both a DOS and Linux version out the door.

--jdiner

zqfmbg
05-17-2004, 03:59 AM
I'm running 9r14 against a really large TY file (6.5 GB). 9r14 will take it and generate a keyfile, but then when I try to edit it I get a crash in GopEditor. If I mux it straight, I end up with something that's only about half as big. It so happens that the mux output contains everything I want... except for the overtime period. :eek:

Is this a known issue?

Meklos
05-17-2004, 03:15 PM
Quick bug report / feature request...

Have the default directory for the "Pick Key Files to Edit" menu dialog be the same as the "Output Directory" setting, since this is where the key files are generated to.

The stuff just keep getting better and better, Josh... Thanks again!

jdiner
05-17-2004, 04:29 PM
I'm running 9r14 against a really large TY file (6.5 GB). 9r14 will take it and generate a keyfile, but then when I try to edit it I get a crash in GopEditor. If I mux it straight, I end up with something that's only about half as big. It so happens that the mux output contains everything I want... except for the overtime period. :eek:

Is this a known issue?
You have a problem in your stream from something in the DTV stream. To test that jump past it. See what happens then. I expect you encountered a second PTS reset and that is what screwed things up.

Many here work with files 12+ gig in size. Simply having a 6.5gig file is not the cause the problem.

--jdiner

zqfmbg
05-17-2004, 05:05 PM
You have a problem in your stream from something in the DTV stream. To test that jump past it. See what happens then. I expect you encountered a second PTS reset and that is what screwed things up.

Jump past it how? GopEditor dies on startup. Or is there some means of splitting up the file without using it?

jdiner
05-17-2004, 07:45 PM
Jump past it how? GopEditor dies on startup. Or is there some means of splitting up the file without using it?
TyTool gives you the option to limit the sheer amount of the TyStream that is processed. Set the jump value in the options menu to the middle-end of the stream then make a new key file from there.

--jdiner

zqfmbg
05-19-2004, 12:46 AM
TyTool gives you the option to limit the sheer amount of the TyStream that is processed. Set the jump value in the options menu to the middle-end of the stream then make a new key file from there.

I went ahead and did this... had to do binary search to find the location. Turns out the whole second chunk of the TY was corrupt... no wonder the crash! Oh well.

Otherwise, all seems pretty well, so thanks again for a great piece of software!

FredThompson
05-19-2004, 01:44 AM
A while ago malfunct mentioned he would appreciate some help with the FAE portion fo the TyTool documentation. Well, bud, I haven't forgotten it. Sometime in the near future I'll post a technical explanation and guidelines for making good editing cuts using FAE.

I was trying to figure out how to explain the concepts of GOPs, frames, fields, etc. in a manner which won't be too confusing while still having enough information to be useful. This is a building block to understand FAE cuts.

Well, it's not been so easy to put into words the habits which come from familiarity. There will probably be a table to show a number of circumstances and which type of cut to use when. IOW, sometimes a GOP-GOP cut is not going to work so something else must be done.

That leads to my question. Suppose you have a situation in which a GOP-GOP is desired. The fields immediately inside the section to be removed are not wanted. How to make a GOP-GOP cut which is actually processed as FAE?

The FAE field counter shows values of -1 (unusable) and 0...n.

FAE cuts are inclusive. How, then, would the user cut a section of complete GOPs with the outer 2 GOPs being joined via the FAE process instead of GOP cuts?

FWIW, this is needed if the GOPs have no near-black at the ends to be joined. Since the streams are open-GOP, there is a possibility for unintended noise block at the GOP-GOP edit point.

Actually, this really isn't the optimal solution. It would be best if some kind of small filler could be put ebtween the 2 GOP points so re-encoding of "kept" source is not required.

FredThompson
05-20-2004, 08:24 AM
Is it possible for TyTool to detect if a GOP boundary is open and in which direction(s)?

If so, then it should be possible to indicate this status, right?

I ask because I'm working on some TLC streams again and the irregularities have changed. For a while, there would be some weird frames preceeding the actual program segements. Now, I'm seeing the almost completely red TLC logo frames right to the end of a GOP with the program resuming on the I-frame. Usually, the I-frame and preceding frame are so drastically different that there's probably no cross-GOP reference. But, how to know for sure? Guess wrong and you'll get the checkerboard noise which comes from improper open-GOP references. If you "play safe" and make an FAE cut, quality goes down while size and processing time increase.

If there was some kind of marker in the GOP and FAE marking windows, users could safely know if a GOP cut can be used or if they must use an FAE cut.

del4
05-21-2004, 12:25 AM
Josh,

9r14 is working great for me Thanks for all the new features you recently added.

Thought you might want to know about the following errors I came across while selecting a background image for a menu:

ERROR: The FOURCC code for the source (C:\Documents and
Settings\David.DEN\Desktop\DVD Creation Tools\DVD Menu Backgrounds\Beavis and
Butt-Head Do America - Big Trouble in Little China.jpg) is not a BMP file!

Clicking on OK, I then got the following error dialog:

Failed to read the Bitmap 'C:\Documents and Settings\David.DEN\Desktop\DVD
Creation Tools\DVD Menu Backgrounds\Beavis and Butt-Head Do America - Big
Trouble in Little China.jpg'

Now, I'm using 9r14, which supports JPGs, so it seems to be more of a problem with the filename. I confirmed this by shortening the name of the .jpg file itself, with the same path, and it worked fine.

Just thought you might want to know. Also, perhaps for the next release, the file selection dialog that comes up to pick the background image still has the title of 'BMP File to Load', plus the item on the Make Menu screen says Background Bitmap rather than Background Image (since we're no longer limited to just BMPs).

forgottonman
05-21-2004, 12:55 PM
FYI, the extension of .TMP is probably an unfortunate choice for the template files, since that's a standard for Windows temporary files. Many disk cleaning utilities select .TMP files by default for deletion. Just a suggestion for a future release, perhaps an extension that isn't as likely to cause the file to disappear. :)

jmcclain
05-23-2004, 09:44 AM
It's called a bug. Believe it or not I don't always have as much time for working on things as I would like.

--jdiner

:eek:

Oops. I meant no offense at all. I understand, JDINER. I was NOT trying to slam the program at all. I think my comment was taken the wrong way (or I probably worded it wrong). 1000 apologies.

-JM

Bantis
05-25-2004, 06:31 AM
Hey guys, a week ago I used Sleeper's ISO and monte'd my SA S2. Everything went well, loaded tivowebplus, mfs_ftp, etc.. and got TyTool running. My problem has been, I can connect fine, I can get the Now Showing list, and I can download programs. But thats the thing, sometimes I can download programs just fine, and other times it'll only get say 20% into it and stop. The program isn't unresponsive, and in the terminal, all thats listed is 21%. At this point, Telnet is unresponsive, and I can't telnet in until I reboot the Tivo. Anyone heard of this before?

jdiner
05-25-2004, 11:42 AM
:eek:

Oops. I meant no offense at all. I understand, JDINER. I was NOT trying to slam the program at all. I think my comment was taken the wrong way (or I probably worded it wrong). 1000 apologies.

It is what happens when I have a major migraine. It colors my perception of the world. The reason that the new muxer is not a standard option but an extra is that it is not perfected yet. There was more to do then and it was a test version to see if it solved certain problems for Sony DVD player users and others. I am trying to figure out through trial and error what other players, mplayer/zoom/etc..., expect the file format to be. Then using this format I want to try and find the most happy medium so that it will play in as many locations as possible. Something this is possible. Sometimes this is not. I.e. I have found things that work perfectly in MPlayer but don't work at all in ZoomPlayer and so on.

Right now whenever one of the "we must rebuild" messages comes around it means lost data in the output from the new muxer. I hadn't intended that but it was just the state it was in when things were released.

--jdiner

jdiner
05-25-2004, 11:46 AM
Hey guys, a week ago I used Sleeper's ISO and monte'd my SA S2. Everything went well, loaded tivowebplus, mfs_ftp, etc.. and got TyTool running. My problem has been, I can connect fine, I can get the Now Showing list, and I can download programs. But thats the thing, sometimes I can download programs just fine, and other times it'll only get say 20% into it and stop. The program isn't unresponsive, and in the terminal, all thats listed is 21%. At this point, Telnet is unresponsive, and I can't telnet in until I reboot the Tivo. Anyone heard of this before?
If you can't re-telnet in then it sounds like you crashed the tivo itself. Specfically the telnet server IS NOT PART of the tserver/tytool programs. It is used by them but only in the most basic way. Infact if you start tserver from the rc.sysinit file you don't even need telnet past the setup stage.

There have been a few others that mentioned this problem a long long time ago. One user could not even get a single show to extract ever with anything.

TyTool has been used by myself and others to extract tons of shows all in 1 session. I selected and ran this process 4 times all in 1 overall session. (After removing the shows from my HD.) The most I have ever done is 112 shows in a row in a single session, 4 downloads of the whole set. The tool is more than capable of doing this correctly time after time.

As for what would cause the crash. I have no idea. It doesn't seem related to TyTool but to other things running on the tivo.

--jdiner

Bantis
05-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Actually, what I meant is when I start the server from TyTool. After it freezes, I can't telnet into Tivo, but Tivo itself functions fine. Ah well, just my damn luck :)

malfunct
05-25-2004, 06:21 PM
Actually, what I meant is when I start the server from TyTool. After it freezes, I can't telnet into Tivo, but Tivo itself functions fine. Ah well, just my damn luck :)

Even after you exit tytool?

The telnetd on tivo is only single threaded and supports only a single connection to it at any one time. If you have one application connected to it (tytool which is probably waiting for a prompt that will never come because you failed to configure it to look for the right one) then no other telnet application can connect.

First thing to do is exit tytool and see if the connection opens up (may take up to 5 minutes if windows or the tivo has to clean up the socket due to restrictions in TCP) and you can telnet in.

2nd thing to do is go to the faq and look up all the information on starting tserver from tytool because its likely you are missing an important piece of configuration. If tytool is looking for the wrong prompt it will wait literally forever for a prompt that will never come.

del4
05-25-2004, 06:34 PM
Even after you exit tytool?

The telnetd on tivo is only single threaded and supports only a single connection to it at any one time. If you have one application connected to it (tytool which is probably waiting for a prompt that will never come because you failed to configure it to look for the right one) then no other telnet application can connect.

I've had several telnet sessions open at once, so I don't think this is true.

First thing to do is exit tytool and see if the connection opens up (may take up to 5 minutes if windows or the tivo has to clean up the socket due to restrictions in TCP) and you can telnet in.

2nd thing to do is go to the faq and look up all the information on starting tserver from tytool because its likely you are missing an important piece of configuration. If tytool is looking for the wrong prompt it will wait literally forever for a prompt that will never come.

Actually, didn't 9r14 fix this so that it times out after 30 seconds or so?

338- Put in an "only for so long" wait in the tserver start code. This way it will time out and not lock forever waiting for the telnet prompt...

Bantis
05-25-2004, 11:44 PM
I have all the settings right, becayse it does connect successfully, and I can download programs, its just that it tends to freeze while its downloading and never finishes. I close tytool, and I can't telnet, although I haven't waiting 5 minutes to try again. I just wish I knew why sometimes it works fine and can download a show, and sometimes it freezes on download.

jdiner
05-26-2004, 01:39 PM
Mine is multi-threaded. I didn't build this I just use the same one I got off of the net years ago. I have had 5 telnet windows onto the same tivo many times.

What I was trying to tell Bantis at the time was that tnlited, the telnet daemon on the tivo, is not part of the extraction. It is used to start the tserver exe but nothing more. Nothing in what it going on should be able to kill it. I.e. the tserver program could crash, but it is not "tied" to the telnet server itself.

--jdiner

malfunct
05-26-2004, 03:05 PM
I've had several telnet sessions open at once, so I don't think this is true.

I just have been thinking ftp then.

Actually, didn't 9r14 fix this so that it times out after 30 seconds or so?

Quite possible actually, I had fixed my prompt by the time that rolled out so I never tested the timeout :)

Thank you for the corrections. Looks like this is not at all his issue though, he has something happening thats making the whole tivo unstable, at least the network connection stuff, which is not the fault of tytool in any way as JDiner stated.

malfunct
05-26-2004, 03:06 PM
I have all the settings right, becayse it does connect successfully, and I can download programs, its just that it tends to freeze while its downloading and never finishes. I close tytool, and I can't telnet, although I haven't waiting 5 minutes to try again. I just wish I knew why sometimes it works fine and can download a show, and sometimes it freezes on download.

All I can think of is remove all unecessary hacks other than tserver and see if that works, and then add them back one by one until you hit the problem. Sort of hard to catch those "my system crashed" bugs because they are likely because a certain combination of apps is running on the box rather than a single app.

sstrell
05-26-2004, 10:57 PM
I'm trying to use Tytool to get my ty files to edited VOBs then use either Tytool or a Mac tool to create a DVD. Tytool works great in Virtual PC. The VOBs I generate play fine in Quicktime Player. However, I've tried creating a DVD in both Tytools and a freeware Mac authoring app called Sizzle and had terrible results when playing the VIDEO_TS back with the Mac OS X DVD Player. I get garbled and corrupted video. Playing the output with VLC seems to work fine. Any idea why the video is not playing back correctly? Sizzle did give me an interesting warning when I selected to use the VOB generated by Tytool: "Potential Video Problem: Video in <my VOB file> appears to be from an SVCD, PVR, or digital satellite TV. It is not a valid DVD stream. The stream will be added, but DVD players may be unable to play it." What is so unusual about VOBs generated by Tytools? I'm going to ask the author of Sizzle about this as well.

Steve

malfunct
05-26-2004, 11:53 PM
I'm trying to use Tytool to get my ty files to edited VOBs then use either Tytool or a Mac tool to create a DVD. Tytool works great in Virtual PC. The VOBs I generate play fine in Quicktime Player. However, I've tried creating a DVD in both Tytools and a freeware Mac authoring app called Sizzle and had terrible results when playing the VIDEO_TS back with the Mac OS X DVD Player. I get garbled and corrupted video. Playing the output with VLC seems to work fine. Any idea why the video is not playing back correctly? Sizzle did give me an interesting warning when I selected to use the VOB generated by Tytool: "Potential Video Problem: Video in <my VOB file> appears to be from an SVCD, PVR, or digital satellite TV. It is not a valid DVD stream. The stream will be added, but DVD players may be unable to play it." What is so unusual about VOBs generated by Tytools? I'm going to ask the author of Sizzle about this as well.

Steve

That message is caused by the fact that the video is 480x480 resolution.

eastwind
05-27-2004, 12:40 AM

SteveTyTool uses DVDAuthor to author the DVD fileset. You can probably run that on your MAX OSX. Should let you build without having to use the Virtual PC or Sizzle. Sizzle might not like non-standard MPEG-2s (DVD standard is 720x480 or 352x480) and is reporting the problem but trying to use the VOB anyway (without success). Try authoring with DVDAuthor and burning to DVD RW to test in your set top player. A lot of them can handle the 480x480 properly even though it is "out of spec".
You don't mention what TiVo you're extracting from, but I'm assuming it's a DTiVo or that if you have a SA TiVo you haven't altered your resources to the proper DVD resolutions. Is that correct?
ew

FredThompson
05-27-2004, 08:59 AM
Where were things left with the TyTool FAQ? The last I remember, there was discussion about adding an FAE section. Will whoever has taken over maintenance of the FAQ please drop me a PM?

sstrell
05-27-2004, 09:43 PM
TyTool uses DVDAuthor to author the DVD fileset. You can probably run that on your MAX OSX. Should let you build without having to use the Virtual PC or Sizzle. Sizzle might not like non-standard MPEG-2s (DVD standard is 720x480 or 352x480) and is reporting the problem but trying to use the VOB anyway (without success). Try authoring with DVDAuthor and burning to DVD RW to test in your set top player. A lot of them can handle the 480x480 properly even though it is "out of spec".
You don't mention what TiVo you're extracting from, but I'm assuming it's a DTiVo or that if you have a SA TiVo you haven't altered your resources to the proper DVD resolutions. Is that correct?
ew

I'm not at the point of burning the DVD yet. I'm simply playing the VIDEO_TS folder straight from my hard drive to check it using Mac OS X's DVD player software (simply, and obviously confusingly, called DVD Player). Sizzle itself makes use of dvdauthor. I am extracting from a DSR6000. Sizzle (and Tytools) do successfully create the whole DVD file structure. That's not the problem. It's just playing the created "DVD" back in the player produces a garbled and corrupted movie. If I burn that to a DVD, what assurance do I have that it will look good like it does in VLC but bad like it does in DVD Player?

Steve

eastwind
05-28-2004, 06:42 AM
I'm not at the point of burning the DVD yet. I'm simply playing the VIDEO_TS folder straight from my hard drive to check it using Mac OS X's DVD player software (simply, and obviously confusingly, called DVD Player). Sizzle itself makes use of dvdauthor. I am extracting from a DSR6000. Sizzle (and Tytools) do successfully create the whole DVD file structure. That's not the problem. It's just playing the created "DVD" back in the player produces a garbled and corrupted movie. If I burn that to a DVD, what assurance do I have that it will look good like it does in VLC but bad like it does in DVD Player?

SteveNo assurance, that's why I said to burn on DVD RW to test it. There are a lot of variables when using a software DVD player (the primary one is usually the codec). Different players have different features and allowances. Try it and see......
ew

warrenrb
05-28-2004, 07:21 AM
If it helps, I've had this problem also on the Mac. Interestingly, the DVD Player in Jaguar played 'em OK, but since Panther they are all messed up.

For the record, my burn's play OK on my Sony DVD player. Also possibly of note, the shows are 352x288 (half-res PAL), which might be what the DVD Player on the Mac doesn't like?

HTH,
Warren.

FredThompson
05-29-2004, 03:11 AM
Bug report:

TyTool will gladly make a keyfile for an extracted file which has the percent sign in its title. However, FAE isn't possible because of the special use of that character.

joeblough
05-29-2004, 04:48 AM
for what its worth, i am also using OSX and a dsr6000. my movies don't play right in apple's DVD player, but do play right on my Panasonic RP-56.

over the past 2 days i've pretty much done it all - tystudio under OSX, tytools under wine (x86 linux), mfs_ftp, womble under wine. with the exception of womble (i have not authored a dvd with the demuxed files that came from womble yet), the first few frames of each movie are corrupted when playing on the RP-56. VLC plays the VOBs with no problem whatsoever, and DVD player can't get past the initial corruption.

i'm using DVD studio pro 2 to author the discs, and it sometimes chokes on the edited movies from tytools (muxer errors.)

Steve

FredThompson
05-29-2004, 11:02 AM
Feature request:

"Raw" VOB concatentation to join a number of VOBs into one destination VOB and an appropriate chp file.

Useful for people who don't make TyTool menu or for piecing together a file to be used later. One file/one program reduces user error...

SAT-T60
05-29-2004, 07:03 PM
The following works in 9r8 but produces a crash in 9r14:
........ 5600.Found an OOB packet... The Audio Diff is: 00:00:06.720
Is it in sequence??? It is OFF by exactly 280.000000 frames.
Nope... Not in sequence... Skipping it...

Found an OOB packet... The Audio Diff is: 09:26:50.297
Is it in sequence??? It is OFF by exactly 1417095.708333 frames.
Nope... Not in sequence... Skipping it...

........ 5700......... 5800......... 5900......... 6000

......... 6100......... 6200......... 6300......... 6400......... 6500

DiffTime = 64.062003 (64062) == 1.067700 Minutes

total = 862846976 (822 MB)

I guess I got lucky because I went back to the previous version and it processed the file eventhough there was a problem with it.

FredThompson
05-30-2004, 02:18 PM
I've got quite a few samples like that. Josh seems to be on sabbatical right now. Hopefully, he'll look into these when he gets back.