PDA

View Full Version : April 2004: 2.5.2 or 3.1 better for Extraction/Insertion?

rfc
04-25-2004, 07:28 AM
I have read a multitude of threads expresing opinions one way or another. I would love an opinion given current tools, ease, etc. Have 2.5.2xtreme currently. TIA.

captain_video
04-25-2004, 08:02 AM
I've never heard of any OS version allowing for faster extraction so it sounds like you're only reading opinions and not facts. It shouldn't make any difference which OS version you're using.

rfc
04-25-2004, 08:48 AM
I've never heard of any OS version allowing for faster extraction

Thanks. I wasn't concerned with speed; more with the state of the available tools. Many of the read mes and how tos seem to be written for one or the other, and while many tools work on both, some don't. The older threads do seem to be geared towards 2.5.2, the newer ones 3.1 (which would make sense).

I'm in the process of networking my T60, setting up for extraction and was wondering if there is any advantage to taking the time now (when I have the thing "in pieces", to upgrading to 3.1.

alldeadhomiez
04-25-2004, 10:32 AM
Thanks. I wasn't concerned with speed; more with the state of the available tools. Many of the read mes and how tos seem to be written for one or the other, and while many tools work on both, some don't. The older threads do seem to be geared towards 2.5.2, the newer ones 3.1 (which would make sense).

I'm in the process of networking my T60, setting up for extraction and was wondering if there is any advantage to taking the time now (when I have the thing "in pieces", to upgrading to 3.1.

In general, you will find that the popular hacks are kept current so that they run with the latest software versions, and new hacks typically won't have explicit 2.x support. I can't think of any compelling reasons to stay at 2.5.2.

With regard to extraction, the nocso patch is the smoothest way to handle the encryption issue (IMHO) and I do not believe it is available on 2.5.2.