PDA

View Full Version : What next???

Plasdaq
04-27-2004, 09:22 AM
OK, I just hacked my SD-DVR40 Direct Tivo using Sleepers ISO. Everything went great, I now have 105 hours.

I am now trying to use Tytools to extract video to my PC, however I cannot connect to my Tivo. Here is some info:

Tivo Model: SD-DVR40
Hack Info: monte'd w/ Sleepers ISO. Installed all hacks
Network: FA120 USB/Ethernet & M$ MN-500 Router
IP Info:Gateway-192.168.2.1, Local - 192.168.2.10, Tivo IP - 192.168.2.17

I can ping my Tivo and it even shows up on my Network info so there shouldnt be a problem with my network.

When I tried to run Tytools on the PC side (ver 7R7) I kept getting the 'Error-cannot connect' I then read that you have to start Tserver, and that Tytools 9r14 allowed you to do that. Sooo I downloaded that to my PC (didnt do anything else to my Tivo) and ran Start Tserver. It appears that I am connected to my tivo, it even says "connected..." but then I get the tivo error message stateing that it "couldnt telnet tivo"????

I have read something about a prompt or substring, but again, as a newbie not sure what that means.

I do not have a serial cable or know anything about a 'bash prompt' but am willing to learn if thats what I need to do.

My main objective is to extract video from my tivo to burn to DVD. If there is a easier way than this, any direction would be appreciated.

Please let me know if there is any more info I need to provide.

If this belongs in the newbie thread, I do apologize.

gNOMEintheRedHa
04-27-2004, 10:27 AM
The TyTools that is installed with Sleepers ISO is WAY out of date.

Download the latest version fron The TyTools thread.

FTP the files from the TSERVER_Series2_MIPS folder to the Tivos /var/hack directory.

tenet to the tivo.
cd /var/hack
chmod 777 tserver_mfs7_mips NowShowing.tcl

then on the PC side launch TyTool 9r13 or later.

Under the server menu click "Set TIVO Shell Prompt" in the box type $
Then click Server -> Set execute string
it will already have this string in there:
/var/hack/tserver_mfs7 -s /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl

edit it to look like this:
/var/hack/tserver_mfs7_mips -s /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl

then, whenever you want to download a show click:
Server -> Launch Server

When you see the waiting for connection message
Click the Refresh button.

Your OFF and Running

BioHazard
04-27-2004, 10:30 AM
Go to hyperterminal on windows(or any telnet program) and setup a connection to your tivo's ip, then run the tserver with:
"/usr/scripts/tytools/tserver"

And its going to tell you that it's waiting for an incoming connection, use tytools and refresh the list, get your files and close the server in the telnet program with Ctrl+C.

Plasdaq
04-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Go to hyperterminal on windows(or any telnet program) and setup a connection to your tivo's ip, then run the tserver with:
"/usr/scripts/tytools/tserver"

And its going to tell you that it's waiting for an incoming connection, use tytools and refresh the list, get your files and close the server in the telnet program with Ctrl+C.

Wow guys, thanks for all the info.

I read about using Hyperterminal, Unfortunately Im not at home right now with the Tivo so I am unable to connect to it (no internet at home right now). Once I connect will I be able to issue a command for "/usr/scripts...etc" or do I just type that in?? I looked on tivohelp.com and saw a list of commands, but none seemed to something I would use. I know these probably seem like basic questions to you, but again for a Noob...well, that says it all. Thanks again :o

Also, I just downloaded CRT which seems to be a better telnet program...fyi

Plasdaq
04-27-2004, 05:24 PM
Can I just go to a CMD prompt window and type "telnet 192.168.2.17"(Tivo IP)?

Is that when I get the infamous 'Bash Prompt' ?

Then I type "/usr/scripts/tytools/tserver" just like that or do I have to use a command?

I may be off base on some of this, but Ive been trying to do some reading... :eek:

Waruwaru
04-27-2004, 05:33 PM
Yes, if your Windows box is on the same network at the Tivo box, go to command prompt, and type telnet 192.168.x.x (use the correct IP address), should get you into a Tivo bash prompt. Make sure you read and understand all posts in this entire thread, gNOMEintheRedHa was real nice and gave you instructions on how to install and run the new tserver on your Tivo.

malfunct
04-27-2004, 05:52 PM
Yes, if your Windows box is on the same network at the Tivo box, go to command prompt, and type telnet 192.168.x.x (use the correct IP address), should get you into a Tivo bash prompt. Make sure you read and understand all posts in this entire thread, gNOMEintheRedHa was real nice and gave you instructions on how to install and run the new tserver on your Tivo.

Go to www.tytool.com and read the FAQ installation and execution of tserver is covered in detail there including the ability to start tserver from the menu of the newer versions of tytool.

Plasdaq
04-28-2004, 08:47 AM
....Make sure you read and understand all posts in this entire thread, gNOMEintheRedHa was real nice and gave you instructions on how to install and run the new tserver on your Tivo.

I meant to thank gNomeintheRedHa for his post, it was appreciated...I just didnt understand it very well. BUT after more reading...and then some more. I makes sense now.

I went to Tytools.com like malfunct suggested, followed the directions and....tada....it working!!!! Im almost finished with my web page that will list a step by step how to uing sleeper, and now Im going to add this as well.

Again thanks to all that gave me direction, all of it was appreciated....and needed :D

gNOMEintheRedHa
04-28-2004, 09:36 AM
I'm sorry that my post was kinda' confusing, i was trying to give some quick help from the office (SHHHH!!)

If you're not familiar with Linux and Telnet, and other things NOT-Windows, this is a great chance to realy learn.

I had not touched Unix or Linux in about six years and had totaly lost my skills, TiVo has given that back to me....

Have fun, if you truly get enthusiastic and want to wrap your mental powes around a tough cookie, take a look at DVDAUTHOR.

DVDAUTHOR is the opensource tool that TyTool uses to create the DVD files.

The Menus from TyTool are quite basic, but by learning how to use DVDAUTHOR you'll be able to create HIGH Quality DVD menus.

Then share the knowledge......
Because My mind hasn't "got" it yet...

Have Fun,
gNOMEintheRedHat

Plasdaq
04-28-2004, 04:31 PM
Yeah, I just burnt my first DVD last night, it was a breeze.

Im about 1/2 thru with my tutorial page, with pics and everything. I hope to have a link to it by weeks end.

Thanks to all who helped :0)