PDA

View Full Version : channel lineup

deverea9
04-27-2004, 01:52 PM
i have a tivo brand tivo series 2 and i am completly new at this i just installed all the hacks and booted up my tivo. when i try to watch live tv it says program information has run out. you must connect to the tivo service to get more program information. i don't know how to update it without a phone. i have an all in wonder with guide plus on my pc and it gets all it's updates through the coaxial cable (i think) i figured tivo could do the same. i have ethernet but i don't know how to go about downloding program guides with that either. i would greatly apreciate any help

Thanks

BTUx9
04-27-2004, 03:09 PM
i have a tivo brand tivo series 2 and i am completly new at this i just installed all the hacks and booted up my tivo. when i try to watch live tv it says program information has run out. you must connect to the tivo service to get more program information. i don't know how to update it without a phone. i have an all in wonder with guide plus on my pc and it gets all it's updates through the coaxial cable (i think) i figured tivo could do the same. i have ethernet but i don't know how to go about downloding program guides with that either. i would greatly apreciate any help

Thanks
Try changing the phone settings by putting in the dialing prefix ",#401"
That tells SA machines to use an ethernet connection (if available) for dialing home

deverea9
04-27-2004, 03:50 PM
will that send any info to tivo, i am worried that using ethernet will undo my hacks and ask me to register? i guess im confused on what part is the downloading channel info and what part is checking to make sure you activated it? if i use my ethernet will that do both or just download the channel lineup? thanks for your help

BTUx9
04-27-2004, 03:53 PM
will that send any info to tivo, i am worried that using ethernet will undo my hacks and ask me to register? i guess im confused on what part is the downloading channel info and what part is checking to make sure you activated it? if i use my ethernet will that do both or just download the channel lineup? thanks for your help
If you're trying to steal service, you've come to the wrong place.

deverea9
04-27-2004, 04:19 PM
dude it's not like that. i don't have a land line, phone line, that is why i "hacked" my Tivo, i really don't mind paying the $5 a month or whatever it is for the subscription, i just don't want to have to buy a land line phone to do it. also i am interested in using the TIVO FTP program to transfer shows to my computer to burn to DVD. i don't know if tivo likes the idea that i modified my tivo, and when i plug it in to the ethernet are they gonna be pissed that i modified there O.S.? thats what i don't understand, when i plug it into the ethernet am i sending info to them or are they just sending info to me (Channel lineup, etc...) if im talking about something i shouldn't be talking about here i will stop, it just looked like a good place to get some info, sorry!

Waruwaru
04-27-2004, 05:11 PM
If you have a DTivo, then your programming should come off the satellite data, and you don't need the net/phone line. But you have to call DirecTV to enable your DirecTivo.

If you have a standalone Tivo, then here is what you need to do, subscribe to Tivo, plug your Tivo into an ethernet, change your dialing option to the one mentioned above. Now your Tivo should be able to get daily programming from Tivo themselves via the ethernet. Since you pay for subscription, then you don't care if they send your info to Tivo. I am not the authority on this, but as far as I know, no one who is paying for the service has been sued for having a hacked Tivo yet. Plus, if you don't let your SA Tivo connect via phone/network, it will not be able to get any programming info.

If you can't sleep because you hacked your Tivo, then I suggest that you retstore your Tivo to factory condition and live what what you have.