PDA

View Full Version : Stable setup for use with Cachecard?

tesocks
04-27-2004, 04:58 PM
I'm about to install a Cachecard in my Philips Series 1 Tivo, along with a connection to an external 802.11g-to-Ethernet adapter to put it on my network.

I'd like to be able to extract shows so I can archive them to DVD or watch them on my laptop or Pocket PC. It'd also be cool if I could select shows to record via the web, like you can with Snapstream, but I'm not as fixated on that.

Anyway, I'm in mid-reading on the FAQ topics, but there's a question I'd like to run by you guys before I decide what to install:

What are the most useful and STABLE add-ons for Tivo?

IE: I want to add extraction, etc. but most important to me is that my Tivo remains as reliable as it has in the past. If it starts crashing while it's taping or playing shows, the spouse is not going to be pleased. :-)

So, given a desire for rock-solid stability, what would you add to enhance a Philips S1's capabilities?

nullman
04-27-2004, 05:56 PM
I was in much the same boat and I am using the TurboNet card for my S1 Sony SAT-T60.

I use Telnet, of course. Tnlited (IIRC) (Got instealled as part of nic_install/nic_install turbonet from the folks a 9thtee)

TyTools (tserver_mfs7 on my TiVo and the .exe on my Windows PC) to extract the programs from my TiVo.

I have TiVoWeb installed, but don't use it that often.

FTP - Tivoftpd (IIRC) (Got instealled as part of nic_install/nic_install turbonet from the folks a 9thtee)

Telnet, FTP, and TiVoWeb are all started upon booting. I start the tserver manually when I want to extract programs, but I read the latest TyTools can automate this. I haven't tried it yet.

I have used both unscramble.o (watch a few secs of program before extracting) and I have also disabled scrambling altogether on another TiVo following the directions in another thread.

lart2150
04-27-2004, 07:20 PM
tivoweb can add recordings to your todo list. for extracting you have 2 choices tystudio and TyTools they are booth really good. I like the ui for tystudio more others like TyTools try them both see what you like.

jasch
04-27-2004, 10:22 PM
I'm about to install a Cachecard in my Philips Series 1 Tivo, along with a connection to an external 802.11g-to-Ethernet adapter to put it on my network.

If possible, scratch your Wireless, and go with a hard wire. Extraction speeds on a wireless link suck compared to wired speeds.

If possible experiment yourself, and then make a decision based on the results.

sanderton
04-28-2004, 07:22 AM
Cachecard + 802.11g should be speed idential to a hard wired link. Max a cachecard on Ethernet does is about 2 megs a second out and 1 meg in - a "g" connection should be perfectly able to handle that.

kkmike
06-16-2004, 03:46 PM
I gave up on wireless. The signal, no matter where I put the access point, eventually drops out for a second, and that's all it takes to break the extraction stream and then have to start over.

sanderton
06-17-2004, 11:57 AM
I have it working with a 802.11g connection, and haven't had problems with that. In fact I can pull the network plug out of one of the switches and it resumes and carries on fine so long as i don't wait too long.

Extraction/Insertion speed is about 200KB/s less than you'd get with a wire - acceptable.

kkmike
06-17-2004, 12:02 PM
I played around with mine again last night and I think the problem is that new 108, xtremeG, burst, whatever the companies call it. Whatever software compression it uses to get the packet speed up, it screws up large file transfers. I disabled the xtreme support and transferred several 2 hour movies last night using regular 56k mode. Takes about 16 minutes for 2 hour movie. I can live with that.

mur
06-20-2004, 12:05 PM
I have it working with a 802.11g connection, and haven't had problems with that. In fact I can pull the network plug out of one of the switches and it resumes and carries on fine so long as i don't wait too long.

Extraction/Insertion speed is about 200KB/s less than you'd get with a wire - acceptable.

Yes that is Acceptable, What type of bridge do you have? I have a SA Series 1 (Sony 2000) w/Cachecard. Was looking into the Linksys Wet54g.
Do you suggest another? I was also looking at the Wga54g Game Adapter

rung
06-20-2004, 04:16 PM
Yes that is Acceptable, What type of bridge do you have? I have a SA Series 1 (Sony 2000) w/Cachecard. Was looking into the Linksys Wet54g.

I'd be very interested, too. I tried the Wet54g and was very unhappy with the performance and had to return it. My wet11 is slow but much more reliable the the wet54g.

sanderton
06-22-2004, 05:27 PM

A USR 5450 running in game adapter mode, connecting to another one as an access point. Unfortunately the "100mps turbo" mode doesn't operate in that setup.