PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking 802.11g config for extraction

sanderton
04-29-2004, 05:41 PM
I'm in the process of going wireless with one of my TiVos.

It has a Cachecard connected to a US Robotics 5450 multifunction access point. The access point on my LAN is another USR 5450. The two are configured as a wireless bridge, which seemed slightly faster than as access point/access client.

Aside from being more than a little disappointed that the two USRs won't talk to each other in their much-vaunted "100 Mbps turbo" mode when one is a client or they are in wireless bridge mode, I was surprised how much slowdown there is.

With a wired connection I was getting 1,700 to 1,900KBps. Through the wireless adapter that falls to 1,500KBps. 1,900KBps is nowhere near the speed rating of 802.11g though, so it looks as though it is not optimal.

There are many paramters in the advanced setup options - Beacon Interval, RTS Threshold, Fragmentation Threshold, DTIM Interval - is it worth playing with those? Are there any utlities out there to help tune the connection?

Or is the slowdown an inveitable part of the overhead of wireless?

malfunct
04-29-2004, 06:04 PM
I'm in the process of going wireless with one of my TiVos.

It has a Cachecard connected to a US Robotics 5450 multifunction access point. The access point on my LAN is another USR 5450. The two are configured as a wireless bridge, which seemed slightly faster than as access point/access client.

Aside from being more than a little disappointed that the two USRs won't talk to each other in their much-vaunted "100 Mbps turbo" mode when one is a client or they are in wireless bridge mode, I was surprised how much slowdown there is.

With a wired connection I was getting 1,700 to 1,900KBps. Through the wireless adapter that falls to 1,500KBps. 1,900KBps is nowhere near the speed rating of 802.11g though, so it looks as though it is not optimal.

There are many paramters in the advanced setup options - Beacon Interval, RTS Threshold, Fragmentation Threshold, DTIM Interval - is it worth playing with those? Are there any utlities out there to help tune the connection?

Or is the slowdown an inveitable part of the overhead of wireless?

Is it falling back to b mode for some reason? Also is how is your signal strength on the devices, they might be falling back in speed to to signal issues. Of course these are total stabs in the dark because I've never tried to set up anything other than an 802.11b network and it just worked by default.

sanderton
04-30-2004, 06:07 AM
It's set not to fall back to b (and I don't think you can get 1,500KB/s out of b anyway?), and the two access points are in the same room right now for testing.

Insert speeds also seems to be about 200KB/s down, so I'm wondering if that's just the overhead of the wireless packets.

Are there any tools I can use to check on packet errors and fragmentation?

JohnSorTivo
04-30-2004, 12:40 PM
Not that I have an answer, but FWIW, I've got a setup very similar to yours, and have tested virtually all modes, wireless B, wireless G, and wired, and after as much optimization as I could get, my numbers were similar to yours:

802.11b (Linksys wusb11 v2.6) --> .5 - .8MB/s
802.11g (Netgear FA120 to wireless g bridge) --> 1 - 1.5 MB/s
Ethernet (Netgear FA120) --> 1.5 - 2.0 MB/s

chef
05-11-2004, 04:28 PM
Any tips on how you got 802.11G to work? I'm stuck around that .5 MB/s barrier, can't really stream video with that...

C

AVD
05-11-2004, 09:47 PM
my experience is that the TiVo is the bottleneck in a "G" wireless, that is a wired to a WRT54G and over the air to a WPC54G 800mhz laptop.

[edit] actually a wired connection is only slightly faster..... but then again I'm not getting 2.5MB/sec either.

lgkahn
05-11-2004, 10:46 PM
I get about 1.6 to 1.8 meg/sec extraction and about 600-700K/sec insertion with my wireless in G mode...

most of it has to do with signal strength and link quality.. I recommend you play with the channels and look at what other people around you are using and use a different channel I find that channel 1 works best for me.. but some manuf. 11g equip only works on channel 6 so your experience will vary.. I found that buffalo works best..

when I had us robotics and used the phone or my kids wireless camera that was on the router froze up.. returned it immediately.. my dlink 2100ap that they assured me worked in bridging mode.. didn't so I couldn't put multiple devices behind them and conserve my real ip addresses so I also resold those and am now using the bufalo equip....

I also got a honking big 12db antenna upstairs to help things out....

AVD
05-12-2004, 09:56 PM
I get about 1.6 to 1.8 meg/sec extraction and about 600-700K/sec insertion with my wireless in G mode...

Thats what I get on my G system, on wired it get up to about 1.9-2.1 MB/sec.

Dunkwho
05-13-2004, 05:27 AM
Not that I have an answer, but FWIW, I've got a setup very similar to yours, and have tested virtually all modes, wireless B, wireless G, and wired, and after as much optimization as I could get, my numbers were similar to yours:

did you do anything special for your 802.11b setup? I'm getting 0.26Mb\s throught my turbonet->dlink 900 client mode access point->dlink 604+ wireless adsl router->dlink 520+ PCI card.

Duncan

lgkahn
05-13-2004, 07:52 AM
here is a suggestion since most likely the wireless connected to the tivo doesn't have a signal meter.. I put a wireless card in a laptop put pcanywhere on it.. pull up the signal meter and place it where the tivo is..
then go upstairs to one of my pc's pcanywhere into the laptop and play around with moving the antennas and changing channels on the router/access points until I get optimum signal strenght... in this way you should have optimum signal strengh/length quality between you tivo also..

also beware signal strengh will go up when it drops the tx rate so also pay attention to that... in addition ftp from you lap top to your pc or somewhere on your net a pull down or up some big files an look at the rates ie do some tests.... this also tells you much about your performance..

this goes for G as well as B equip. no matter what the manufacturer...

also a good external antenna as I mentioned on the upstairs/downstairs router/access point helps...

I consider my performance good now since I am going through 3 walls and one floor ... I actually don't get any better performance on the wired tivo on a usb port.. but that is most likely because the wired one has a 100 foot wire... which also greatly lowers performance as does the usb port..

chef
05-13-2004, 11:34 AM

John,

What "wireless g bridge" are you using?

C

Flip2001
05-13-2004, 06:32 PM
Im having the same issues. My CURRENT setup is D-link 624 Wireless router connecting to a D-Link G800 Bridge that connects to a FA120 Netgear USB to Ethernet from Dtivo. I Never get speeds faster then 1.8(extreme max). But if I plug my laptop into the FA120 it goes 2.5 to 3.0

I used to have a D-link 614+ router (b series) and D-link Ap900 Access point also connected to FA120 but speeds then were 700-850k only. It's from TV room to a bedroom where computer is (not really more then 50-75 ft).

Ive tried different usb ethernet adapters but nothing worked better or worse (Dlink, Linksys, etc). The G series stuff worked better im wondering if anyone with Linksys and a simular config has any better sucess. Still the 1.8 is better then 700k so its not terrible but WAY below the 1004k advertised speed...

sanderton
05-14-2004, 04:44 AM
The wireless network adds an overhead of around 200k/s to transmission speeds in my experince to date, so your figures sound about right.

Faulty486
06-15-2004, 08:27 PM
John (or anyone that may know), I have a Hughes DirecTivo (Series 2 -- model HDVR2 and Software Version 3.1.1c-01-2-151)

I puchased the FA120 today and upon inserting the USB connector to the back of the DirecTivo, I receive no response from the LED indicator for power being received by the FA120. It's as if the USB ports on the back of my until aren't working.

I am planning to (hopefully) connect the USB --> Ethernet adapter to my previous wireless router (which is a linksys BEFW11S4 V.2 (802.11b .. and my Inet access router is a 802.11g in "b or g" mode). Will this configuration suffice (assuming I can get the FA120 to work)?

Thanks for any assistance provided!

Gary

Ethernet (Netgear FA120) --> 1.5 - 2.0 MB/s

JohnSorTivo
06-16-2004, 10:03 AM
John (or anyone that may know), I have a Hughes DirecTivo (Series 2 -- model HDVR2 and Software Version 3.1.1c-01-2-151)

I puchased the FA120 today and upon inserting the USB connector to the back of the DirecTivo, I receive no response from the LED indicator for power being received by the FA120. It's as if the USB ports on the back of my until aren't working.

I am planning to (hopefully) connect the USB --> Ethernet adapter to my previous wireless router (which is a linksys BEFW11S4 V.2 (802.11b .. and my Inet access router is a 802.11g in "b or g" mode). Will this configuration suffice (assuming I can get the FA120 to work)?

Thanks for any assistance provided!

Gary
I'm going to ask the obvious here, but have you hacked your Tivo yet? The necessary drivers to "activate" the USB port, followed by the network drivers, are not present by default on your HDVR2, until you first modify your unit.

If you haven't hacked your unit, you will need to do so, and using Sleeper's ISO (tivoscripts) (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28921) is the easiest method.

If you have hacked it, but are still not seeing power to the USB port, then post the contents of your rc.sysinit.author file for us to review.

JohnSorTivo
06-16-2004, 10:09 AM
John,

What "wireless g bridge" are you using?

C
Sorry for the dealy Chef. I somehow missed your post until another one came along. I have tested and used successfully both the Microsoft Xbox Wireless G Adapter (MN-740), which is nothing more than a bridge in disguise. The reason I chose this is that it is cheaper than most "real" bridges offered by the normal vendors. I caught it on sale at Amazon for $65. The downside is that the bridge MUST be first connected to an Xbox to configure, but it can then be subsequently moved to anywhere in your network after configuration. So, if you don't own an Xbox, or have a friend who does, this is probably not an option. Also, it must be setup using DHCP, which I'm not a fan of. No option to assign it a static IP.

I've also tested the Netgear WGE101 wireless bridge. The good it that it does allow for assignment of a static IP, but, the speeds I get off of it are a touch slower than that of the Xbox Adapter. I think mostly attributable to signal strength, which is not quite as strong as with the Xbox adapter.