PDA

View Full Version : Streaming Live TV

PortlandPaw
04-29-2004, 06:55 PM
Is it possible to stream live TV (or, more precisely, the time-delayed live TV recorded and played back a couple of seconds later) from a TiVo?

I don't think I've ever seen this topic discussed before and I'm just curious if I could bring in the "live" shows as well as those already recorded.

If it is possible, how is it done?

TheWickedPriest
04-29-2004, 08:24 PM
It's possible, and it has been discussed. You can do it with vserver and mplayer-tivo (i.e., mplayer with the "tivo://" patch): Get the FSID of the live buffer via tivo://tivo/list, and connect to it. This will put you at the back end of the buffer (30 min. or so behind real time), but you can skip ahead in the normal way if you want to catch up to "live". (If you skip past the point of real time, it will act as though the program is over and close.)

PortlandPaw
04-29-2004, 09:00 PM
Priest, that is definitely cool. I got it going first time with mplayer-tivo. Then I tried it with WMP and MPC, both of which will work with other recordings (though WMP has a scrunched picture) and no go. I wonder why.

I thought it might be neat to add a control to TivoWebPlus that would play the current "live" TV to WMP or MPC.

Thanks for the quick response.

jasch
05-01-2004, 11:59 PM
Altough the vserver+mplayer combo works, if will stop when you reach the end of the buffer. And you have to re-start again... So the max I have been able to watch at a given time has been 30 minutes.

I haven't found a way for mplayer to stream live tv for hours and hours...

You can even change channels, and mplayer (at least in my case) started showing something from an 'old' channel I had before.