PDA

View Full Version : Tivo won't accept changed rc.sysinit.author file.

chadbrandt
05-01-2004, 03:19 PM
I have extracted my rc.sysinit.author file using a TeraTerm Pro and a serial connection. I changed the file using EditPad Pro to have the correct IP address changed in the file. I try to use the Z-modem option to send it back to the /etc/rc.d directory and it looks like it does transfer the file. I then chmod 777 the file and reboot. When Tivo comes back up, and I look at the rc.sysinit.author file it does not have the changes I made to it. What am I doing wrong here. Trying to get network options functional on HDVR2. Any suggestions.

Sleeper
05-01-2004, 03:58 PM
The Tivo does not change the rc.sysinit.author file. If your box were not hacked, which it obviously is because you are running bash, the linuxrc would delete the file if it were altered.

Sounds like you are not getting the changed file over to the Tivo. Try typing "cat rc.sysinit.author" after transferring it and before rebooting.

chadbrandt
05-01-2004, 04:27 PM
Yep- I cat the file and the changes I make aren't there. Any recommendations for a better way to transfer files to Tivo other than Z-modem? It seems I'm not getting them transferred correctly using this method.

drnull
05-01-2004, 05:35 PM
/etc/rc.d is on a read only file system, so you cannot replace the file without remounting the filesystem as read/write. Your client probably gave you the error, but maybe it scrolled by too fast.

mount -o remount,rw /

will remount the / filesystem as read/write

mount -o remount,ro /

will remount the / filesystem as read only

type mount by itself, and you will see the filesystems and the mode they are mounted in.

Better reccommendation for transferring files: FTP, smartFTP is the client I use. Nice drag & drop interface. Before asking questions about how to connect using ftp, search ddb for info.

RKone
05-01-2004, 07:03 PM
The file could have been saved with incorrect carriage return codes. I'm not familiar with Editpad Pro, but most windows utils will cause this problem. Run dos2unix on your .author file before sending it back

Waruwaru
05-01-2004, 07:20 PM
With ws_ftp-le, you could specify the file to be transfered in ASCII mode, then ftp client will translate the carriage returns for you. But you have to use ASCII mode for both GET and PUT.

captain_video
05-01-2004, 08:41 PM
It's probably like drnull indicated. Your Tivo filesystem is set up as read only by default, especially if you installed Sleeper's iso. Unless you make it read-write it will look like the files transferred but they just won't stick.

jasch
05-01-2004, 09:56 PM
I have a similar problem. I can edit my rc.sysinit.author file, the changes are there, but some things do not start.

For example, I have:

/var/log/tivoweb-tcl/tivoweb
/var/hack/endpadplus.tcl 1 1 -auto

They don't start automatically.

I have to telnet into the TiVo, and type the exact same command manually, ,so they will start...

I tried in the rc.sysinit file also, with no luck...

malfunct
05-01-2004, 10:13 PM
I have a similar problem. I can edit my rc.sysinit.author file, the changes are there, but some things do not start.

For example, I have:

/var/hack/endpadplus.tcl 1 1 -auto

They don't start automatically.

I have to telnet into the TiVo, and type the exact same command manually, ,so they will start...

I tried in the rc.sysinit file also, with no luck...

It looks like you are running them in the foreground, in which case the first will execute and then the rest won't be reached. Put a space and an & at the end of each call to a script to make it run in background mode and see if that helps.

jasch
05-01-2004, 10:18 PM
I'll give them a try right away. BTW, how does TivowebPlus start automatically? Not sure, why on my other S2 DTIVO it does start automatically every time I restart the unit. I haven't found any entry in the rc.sysinit or the rc.sysinit.author file, so I guess it's somewhere else.

Also, how can I have my tivo on Read/Write mode all the time? Do I have to issue the mount -o remount,rw / on the rc.sysinit?

Thanks again.

malfunct
05-01-2004, 10:29 PM
I'll give them a try right away. BTW, how does TivowebPlus start automatically? Not sure, why on my other S2 DTIVO it does start automatically every time I restart the unit. I haven't found any entry in the rc.sysinit or the rc.sysinit.author file, so I guess it's somewhere else.

Also, how can I have my tivo on Read/Write mode all the time? Do I have to issue the mount -o remount,rw / on the rc.sysinit?

Thanks again.

You call tivoweb from your rc.sysinit.author, that would load it "automatically".

jasch
05-01-2004, 10:34 PM
That would be my obvious choice. I installed TivowebPlus (the tpm), and while it starts aumatically, I found no entry for it on the .author file.

malfunct
05-01-2004, 10:35 PM
That would be my obvious choice. I installed TivowebPlus (the tpm), and while it starts aumatically, I found no entry for it on the .author file.

You listed the call to tivoweb in the sample you posted:

JohnSorTivo
05-02-2004, 12:48 AM
Also, if you elected to start tivowebplus at startup when installing TWP via the tpm installer, you won't see a direct call in your .author file, but rather, a call to:

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.tpm

Which then executes a 'FOR' loop to startup each package you installed when using the .tpm installer.