PDA

View Full Version : Converting a TY to MPEG issue

trooper2
05-02-2004, 11:32 AM
I have successfully extracted from my DSR-704 a .TY media file that plays fine (audio+video) using WMP. However would like to convert the .TY file to an .MPEG so that I may also load the mpeg into a video editing app to remove commercials, etc.

1.) Have tried to convert using TyTool9r14 but the mpeg produced has no audio
2.) have tried to open the .TY file in TyStudio, however the index process gets to about 60% +/- before it crashes the application in XP.

Am certain my source file is OK but was wondering if there are any FAQs outlining how to convert TY to MPG step-by-step as all I have been able to find are posts documenting the fixes in the TyTool and TyStudio software releases.

Any assistance someone could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

CrimsonBrian
05-10-2004, 04:37 PM
From the TyTool, you can select Make Key File, and the program will take the ty file and create this .key file. You can then select Edit Key File and this will allow you to cut out the commercials. When you are done, just hit the Multiplex File and you will be all set. Hope this helps!

captain_video
05-10-2004, 05:26 PM
1.) Have tried to convert using TyTool9r14 but the mpeg produced has no audio

What program were you using to play the mpeg file? If you were using TyTool you won't get any audio. You can play back the mpegs using most DVD codecs like WinDVD or PowerDVD. TyTools produces mpegs with udio just fine so try a different playback method to check it out. If you don't want to edit anything you can convert the ty file to an mpeg without having to create a key file first. The key file is only necessary if you want to make any cuts.

Plasdaq
05-18-2004, 06:06 PM
If you wanting to burn to DVD, here are my steps

1) Extract Ty file with Tytools
2) Make Key File
3) Edit Key File (take out commercials)
4) VOB-Mux Files
5) Check VOB in WinDVD to make sure of editing and audio
6) Creat IFO Files
7) Rinse and repeat :)
Now here was my problem...

I was recording Friends episodes from 3 different channels. One of the channels would play back fine on WinDVD, but the other 2 did not have audio.

So after tinkering with it I discoved that it was in my VOB-MUXing...

Before you Mux it, go to Options > Audio

Make sure "Patch Audio Holes" is check and change the other check from "None" to "#4 DVD - 48 @ 160"

Im not sure what all this means, but it worked for me when I went to burn it to DVD.

Also, test your VOB before you burn it...you dont have to create the entire VOB file to test it. I just let i create about a 20MB file so I can view it in WinDVD to make sure the audio is correct.

trooper2
05-23-2004, 08:47 AM
Thanks. Worked perfectly for me. Another question ... if I want to burn a series of .ty files to a DVD instead of a VHS taped, how can this be done? For instance if I have multiple 1 hour or 30 min episodes that I merely want to archive to a DVD. No need for fancy menu or anything. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

CrimsonBrian
05-23-2004, 10:20 AM
I am assuming you mean that you want them to still be playable on your DVD player... If this is the case, then you will still need to go thru the steps that were sucessful for you before. However, if you mean you literally just want to put the .ty files on a DVD, then that can be done in a matter of minutes. Just collect all the .ty files you want to save in some folder and then go into your DVD burning software and make a Data disc. Then select the files you want to archive and just burn the DVD. I'm afraid I cant be more specific than that since everyone's DVD software is a little different. The key, however, is to make sure that you are just making a data DVD, not something that will be playable on your home player. Hope this helps!

trooper2
05-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Sorry, I should've been more specific. Was hoping to make a DVD playable on my DVD player but the source being several .ty files I extracted from my Tivo unit. Any insight that can be provded would be great. thanks!

eastwind
05-23-2004, 01:58 PM
Sorry, I should've been more specific. Was hoping to make a DVD playable on my DVD player but the source being several .ty files I extracted from my Tivo unit. Any insight that can be provded would be great. thanks!
Have you checked the FAQ? There's a link to it under the Help menu.
ew