PDA

View Full Version : Transcode with mplayer/mencoder

blacstag
05-02-2004, 09:59 PM
I have had cronic problems with tystudio and tytool to transcode ty files into mpeg files for burning DVDs. Additionally, I would love to automate the process of getting files off the tivo and converted to mpegs to be "ready-to-burn".

I thought this would be easy to find, but googling for all of the buzz words, I could not find the answers I need. Currently I have the command:

mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp2:vcodec=mpeg2video source.ty -o target.mpg

This will get me from ty file to mpeg, but I would like to prep the mpeg for dvd on the way. I need to get the audio to 48000Hz and the video to 720x480. Can anyone point me in the direction of a document or even have mencoder option suggestion?

Thank you...

TheWickedPriest
05-03-2004, 12:12 AM
TyTool and TyStudio do not transcode (except, sometimes, audio); they merely remultiplex. What problems have you had?

Add "-vop scale=720:480" (or "-vf" instead of "-vop") to resize the video in mencoder. I dunno about the audio, offhand; I've always used toolame for that.

Since you mention changing the audio rate, I assume you're using a standalone, not a DirecTivo? If so, you might be better off setting your Tivo to record in 720x480 to begin with.

blacstag
05-03-2004, 08:59 AM
Yes, I am using a standalone system. I will go and tweak the tivo to record at 720x480, but I do have a pile recorded at 480x480 so the -vop scale=720: 480 will really help.

I will check out toolame to see if I can get the audio on-line from there.

As far as the other tools go, I have not spent much time with TyTool since I am looking for something to automate and I have only seen TyTool on Windows. With TyStudio, I just seem to get random crashing and I can not find any error out put. Sometimes I can rerun the process, sometimes it just keeps crashing.

I have been very happy with mplayer; it has been a project that has received a lot of attention. I know it can do everything I need it to do, just looking for a little guidance.

TheWickedPriest
05-03-2004, 12:12 PM
I do have a pile recorded at 480x480 so the -vop scale=720: 480 will really help.
Note, there should be no space after the colon.

blacstag
05-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Cool, I will close that gap...and thank you to the people over at http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25896&page=2&pp=15 for where and what to set to change the recording resolution to 720x480.

Thank you Priest