PDA

View Full Version : Disk Usage/ Big Problem

krashmanz
05-02-2004, 10:01 PM
So, I sleepered my tivo with a 200gig drive but for some reason I only got 118 hours shown on available disk space, Well that seemed really odd to me, Well I am at a full drive, Now I am wondering how to get rid of the yellow clips and bullshit I don't need.

Also I am asking if there is something that I could do now to make the tivo see the rest of that space or if I could start over again and use something that supports lba48.

Thanks
DK

PlainBill
05-03-2004, 10:30 AM
So, I sleepered my tivo with a 200gig drive but for some reason I only got 118 hours shown on available disk space, Well that seemed really odd to me, Well I am at a full drive, Now I am wondering how to get rid of the yellow clips and bullshit I don't need.

Also I am asking if there is something that I could do now to make the tivo see the rest of that space or if I could start over again and use something that supports lba48.

Thanks
DK

Search on LBA48 - you should find the explanation for what happened, and a solution. You MIGHT be able to 'tweak' your system so you can take advantage of the full capacity of the drive without starting over.

PlainBill

malfunct
05-03-2004, 11:06 AM
Search on LBA48 - you should find the explanation for what happened, and a solution. You MIGHT be able to 'tweak' your system so you can take advantage of the full capacity of the drive without starting over.

PlainBill

If he did the mfs expand on a PC that didn't recognize the full space on the drive (which is probably the case given that he only has 118 hours available and didn't crash his tivo when he filled the drive) then enabling the LBA48 hack could be without reformatting the drive. Basically the fear is that the kernel will decide to use the new addressing and won't be able to read the disk that was written when the old addressing. At the very least no new capacity will be found without a reformat by an LBA48 aware kernel.

krashmanz
05-03-2004, 11:31 AM
When I sleepered the drive it told me that there were 147 Hours of capacity. At the time I didn't think anything of it but now that still seems a little low for a 200 gig drive.

Could someone post a step by step deal on either how to get it now or what to do when I reformat.

Thanks
DK

krashmanz
05-04-2004, 02:08 AM
I have searched high and low for this bugger and I can't seem to find a sure fire way to do this. Is anyone aware of a method to do this without the risk of screwing things up ?

DK

PlainBill
05-04-2004, 10:44 AM
I have searched high and low for this bugger and I can't seem to find a sure fire way to do this. Is anyone aware of a method to do this without the risk of screwing things up ?

DK

"There ain't no such animal" :) Anything a human can do, another can screw up - from personal experience.

There are two obstacles I was aware of; Malfunct suggested a third.

First of all, your present kernel will have to be replaced - it only supports drives up to 137 Gig. Again, search for references to LBA48 kernel.

Second, Sleeper's TiVoScripts places the romfs in the Apple_Free partition at the end of the drive. This will get overwritten when you expand, AND it must be placed below the 137 Gig barrier. Suggestion - place it in either the Bootstrap 1 or Bootstrap 2 partition and adjust boot parameters.

Third Malfunct suggested the perceived geometry of the drive will change with the LBA48 kernel. If this is true, (and he IS smarter than I am), you must start over from scratch.

PlainBill

malfunct
05-04-2004, 10:55 AM
Third Malfunct suggested the perceived geometry of the drive will change with the LBA48 kernel. If this is true, (and he IS smarter than I am), you must start over from scratch.

PlainBill

No, not smarter, just thought of trying this and read and found out its a bad idea. If you want to make the switch you need to prepare the drive first and then NEVER EVER boot the switcher without the lba48 hack installed because if it attempts to access MFS in areas above the boundary it will corrupt mfs and your tivo will be unhappy.