PDA

View Full Version : updateProc v0.1: Binary diff for tivoapp

drnull
05-03-2004, 03:42 PM
Ok, well, this is my first attempt at releasing something I'm doing, so go easy, m'kay?

Basically, updateProc is a tool to update the address in the tivoapp.proc file when the tivoapp binary has changed. This is a collage of other tools with a little bit of my work thrown in. I in NO way want to take credit for tmesis's great work with his mips disassembler. This is meant to be used with that. Also, I am using bsdiff by Colin Percival to find similarites between two versions of tivoapp.

Included in the zip is tmesis's mips disassembler (v0.4 (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27553)), bsdiff (http://www.daemonology.net/bsdiff/), and a few programs that make this work.

I also included my cygwin compile of bsdiff. If it doesn't work for you, just compile it again.

my files:
patchaddr.c - direct rip of bspatch.c. Finds what old addresses are what new addresses.
patchaddr.pl - reads patchaddr.c's output (sorted) and patches tivoapp.proc.
updateProc - shell script (glue) to use the above programs.

End result:
Your tivoapp.proc file that worked fine with tivoapp version 3.1 wouldn't work (duh) with the new tivoapp version 3.1.1c file. Now it will. This could probably even be used to automatically find new patch locations for our hacks (going either way? So we can fill out that table for 3.1 and 3.1.1b?)

If some brave soul wants to give this a shot with 4.0 or 4.0.1b, I'd enjoy hearing the results. I don't have a v4 binary around right now. Have to do it later when I feel like restoring/knoppix booting/scp'ing it again.

drnull
05-03-2004, 08:20 PM
If some brave soul wants to give this a shot with 4.0 or 4.0.1b, I'd enjoy hearing the results.

Dang. Didn't work so well. Too much stuff changed, I guess. Ahh well. Still, it works for 3.1, 3.1.1b and 3.1.1c. Even calculates the addresses for the tivoapp patches. Cool.

NutKase
02-11-2005, 06:23 AM
I'm going to give this a try.

drnull, do you have ANY proc files for 4.x?

I have none. Also, did running this file corrupt your tivo? Just wondering what I'm up against.

I'm tired of sitting around not moving to the next level and now I want to superpatch-4all 7.1a... There's no way I'm going to T2G. :)

NutKase