PDA

View Full Version : Re-encoding, deblocking, etc.

FredThompson
05-06-2004, 09:29 AM
Just a heads up. I've been a beta tester for the new DVD2SVCD. It was released a couple of days ago. Over the next couple of weeks I'll be doing more tests and will share the process I settle on if the results are good.

This filter looks very interesting: http://www.compression.ru/video/deblocking/index_en.html

At one time, the idea of a quality-scan inside TyTool was kicked around. The idea was to detect those horribly blocky sections where the DTV encoders mess up and re-encode them, similar to a FAE-FAE cut. Maybe something like that will be possible in the future. Guess it all depends on getting our hands on the source for this filter or something similar, huh?

It auto-senses blockiness and smooths those portions of the frame. Unfortunately, it's a VirtualDub filter which means it operates in RGB colorspace. MPEG2 ( or 1.5, as DirecTV called it...) is not RGB and there is no 1:1 relationship so there is some loss of color fidelity and accuracy during conversion. I've been chatting with the webmaster for that site. He said all the internal routines are YUV and said it shouldn't be too difficult for them to release AviSynth versions.

So, just a heads up to let folks know re-encoding isn't a dead issue.