PDA

View Full Version : Ty -> DIVX for Handhelds

johnny
05-07-2004, 11:22 PM
I have a Palm Tungsten T3 with the capacity to plan DIVX files. My goal is to convert my TY files to MPEG, and then to DIVX without any editing. Getting to the MPG file is easy and without problems. Perfect audio/video sync. However, going from MPG to DIVX is problematic. The audio is never sync'd with the video.

I've tried many different products (Virtualdubmod, drdivx, etc) and codec's and I just can't figure out a combination of steps that will produce a video with sync'd audio.

Basically I need something with about 300kb for video and 64kb for audio. Anyone manage to do something like with and is able to do it with some sort of consistancy?

Thank you,
John

lart2150
05-08-2004, 10:54 AM
I have converted a lot of my ty files to divx/xvid. I found that tystudio mades files that Virtualdub and drdivx like more (this is a while a go tytools might be better at this now). or if you use drdivx and tyshow you can transcode ty files right to divx no need to first convert to mpeg.

citivolus
05-08-2004, 11:39 PM
Try PocketDivXEncoder...it works great. http://divx.ppccool.com/

btw, ty files are already mpeg2. For now, just rename the .ty to .mpg. I'm told the next version of PocketDivXEncoder will not require this.

johnny
05-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Citivolus, thank you, thank you, thank you! This utility works great. Perfect AVI's with little fuss!

John :)

johnny
05-18-2004, 09:14 PM
Here are my setting in case anyone wants to do this:

Within TyTool I use:

* Mux VCD/SVCD
* Audio Fix Holes
* Audio Transcode #5

Within PocketDivxEncoder I use - everything unchecked except for this:

* b-frames enabled
* Xvid enabled
* Video Quality = 17
* Audio Quality = 1
* Frame Rate = 15
* create AVI with MP3 audio

You will have to lower the video quality if you have a handheld device with very little CPU power. But the above works just fine with a Palm Tungsten T3. You will have to run these created output through the tool's "sync video/audio" feature to line things up. If you have problems with it not finding a codec, then just install Gordian Knot and all the missing files will be found.

Roger Dylan
08-29-2005, 10:53 PM
Try PocketDivXEncoder...it works great.btw, ty files are already mpeg2. For now, just rename the .ty to .mpg. I'm told the next version of PocketDivXEncoder will not require this.

I have no trouble at all converting small .ty files (from a variety of sources, mostly .ty+ files from mfs_ftp+) via PocketDivXEncoder. No need now to rename source file (except to remove the "+"). Great video on my Palm Tungsten E2 with about 5-10 minutes of conversion time, faster and better than any other method I have tried.

But source .ty files larger than 1GB instantly fail the PocketDivXEncoder conversion process. Variety of error messages depending on the sequence of events.

Lathe 1.01 (same freeware source but costs a few dollars?) produces same results.

There are many ways of converting DTivo files to Palm (or similar low res video), with many steps and hours of transcoding. Anybody having success converting directly from DTivo files to Palm (et al), one step and quickly?

zymurgist
04-24-2006, 08:05 PM
I use Lathe and I love it. I have a Creative Zen Vision:M and I use TyTools to extract the shows and Lathe to convert them to custom AVI files for transfer to the Zen. Worth every penny (and more) of the $8 for Lathe (http://www.omniquiti.com/store.php).

ken

kernaltao
04-25-2006, 08:36 AM
I have no trouble at all converting small .ty files (from a variety of sources, mostly .ty+ files from mfs_ftp+) via PocketDivXEncoder. No need now to rename source file (except to remove the "+"). Great video on my Palm Tungsten E2 with about 5-10 minutes of conversion time, faster and better than any other method I have tried.

But source .ty files larger than 1GB instantly fail the PocketDivXEncoder conversion process. Variety of error messages depending on the sequence of events.

Lathe 1.01 (same freeware source but costs a few dollars?) produces same results.

There are many ways of converting DTivo files to Palm (or similar low res video), with many steps and hours of transcoding. Anybody having success converting directly from DTivo files to Palm (et al), one step and quickly?

Well, it's not a one-step process, and it's not converting from DTiVo ty files directly to divx, but it's quite simple:

1. Download show using TyTool in Multiplex Mode, or download ty and then multiplex it to mpeg. You will want to do the latter if you are going to use TyTool to edit out commercials.

2. Use PocketDivxEncoder to convert to divx avi. I use the Archos template and tweak the settings somewhat for my device (Treo 650).

This works great! I have never had a bad file or audio out of sync.

I always use the above process because I edit out the commercials using TyTool, so I need to multiplex the file anyway.

bhorstkotte
04-27-2006, 07:10 PM
I use PocketDivxEncoder occasionally, but I usually use mencoder - no problems with sync at all (my target device is a PocketPC, but that should not matter). I created a .vbs script that loops through command line arguments, and for each argument (source file), calls mencoder with appropriate parameters for video bitrate, audio bitrate, dimensions, codec, etc. - so I just grab one or more mpg files from Windows Explorer, and drag them onto a desktop shortcut icon for that script, and it cranks away until they're all processed. Works great, and I don't have to manually do all the settings like with PorkcetDivxEncoder.

The painful process for me is getting the bloody files over to my PPC - ActiveSync really sucks, and a USB 1.1 cradle doesn't help either - fails half the time with no error message, and when it does work, it takes 20 minutes or more to copy a single ~200MB avi file to the CF card in the PPC.

yagey
05-03-2006, 01:22 PM
I use etivo to automate this process, it's an excellent tool and will provide you with lots of shows to watch on your palm.

search for etivo and enjoy :)