PDA

View Full Version : Documentation on differences between software versions?

ElvisIncognito
05-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Is there a post somewhere that documents the differences between the various software versions? (Before anybody flames me, I *did* use the Search function, but I came up empty.)

Thanks in advance,

~EI~

ElvisIncognito
05-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Sure would make it easier on us poor noobz if there were stickies covering the differences between software versions, between Series 1 and Series 2, and a fairly basic post on "Things you can do with a hacked TiVo". I've managed to figure out the latter, but had to dig for it a bit. Still in the dark on the first 2...

Waruwaru
05-09-2004, 01:47 PM
Well, since you figured out the later, perhaps you should post your findings? Put a few keywords in your post, so other newbies can find it...

ElvisIncognito
05-09-2004, 01:50 PM
I ddin't figure it out via the search engine - just by browsing the various forums.

almontebarnes
05-09-2004, 06:58 PM
I ddin't figure it out via the search engine - just by browsing the various forums.

Well, since you figured out the later, perhaps you should post your findings? Put a few keywords in your post, so other newbies can find it...

cojonesdetoro
05-12-2004, 11:29 AM
(Before anybody flames me, I *did* use the Search function, but I came up empty.)

Don't take this as a flame, but using the search function is handy but it's just a small part of the equation. I lot of it is boring, time consuming reading and digging through threads and googled sites. It's nice to just type a keyword on the search bar and get instant answers but the reality is that it's difficult to create a search function that can 'figure out' what piece of data you want and only give only relevant posts.

The other problem is that no one has taken the time to write all this stuff down in a clear, concise manner for easy, light reading. It's a time consuming process to document things clearly and you'll probably then get people complaining In a way, I guess the tedious reading is part of an initiation.

From what I have heard, Jeff Keegan did a good job in his book but you gots to pay the man (not that he doesn't deserve it.)

So I guess the bottom line is YGWYPF. Complaints like this are usually not well received because we all know that it just takes some effort to even dig out the simplest answers but most of us have made the effort. There's just no way to phrase a complaint so that it doesn't come off as whiney.

ElvisIncognito
05-14-2004, 12:15 PM
no one has taken the time to write all this stuff down in a clear, concise manner for easy, light reading.Which is what I'll try to do (as my contribution) until I can get up to speed on tcl.
It's a time consuming process to document things clearlyTrue, but it's a process I enjoy, and one I'm good at.
From what I have heard, Jeff Keegan did a good job in his book but you gots to pay the man (not that he doesn't deserve it.) I have no problem w/that - I just ordered the book from Amazon - thanks for the recommendation!
Complaints like this are usually not well received because we all know that it just takes some effort to even dig out the simplest answers but most of us have made the effort. There's just no way to phrase a complaint so that it doesn't come off as whiney.Point taken. As I think you've surmised, I've probably been guilty of impatience/frustration and therefore whined for a quick fix. I'm done w/that now and will pay my dues, dig up the answers, and make what contributions I can. Thanks for the advice, and for the way you prefaced your post. :)