PDA

View Full Version : NOT A Newbie FAQ - Newbies, DO NOT Read This FIRST!

ElvisIncognito
05-11-2004, 03:02 PM
As a newbie to this forum, I've browsed around quite a bit and picked up on some common themes that every DDB Forum newbie should know. I dunno, maybe this should be a sticky...

Q: This is probably a stupid question but...
A: THEN WHY THE F**CK ARE YOU ASKING IT A**HOLE? IF YOU THINK WE HAVE TIME TO HOLD YOUR PATHETIC LITTLE HAND, THEN YOU'RE SADLY MISTAKEN.

Q: Can someone tell me...
A: NO! USELESS PIECE OF SHIT NEWBIES AREN'T ALLOWED TO ASK QUESTIONS! IF YOU CAME HERE TO LEARN, THEN TRY READING, SHITHEAD!

Q: I know this has probably been asked, but I couldn't find...
A: USE THE F**KING SEARCH BUTTON, J**KOFF! WE'VE ALREADY ANSWERED THAT QUESTION!

Q: I tried using a search but...
A: GREAT, ANOTHER FU*KING NEWBIE GENIUS HAS JOINED OUR FORUM! IF YOU SEARCHED THEN YOU SHOULD'VE FOUND THE ANSWER AND IF YOU'RE TOO STUPID TO FIND ANSWERS USING THE SEARCH FUNCTION, THEN YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO BROWSE THROUGH EVERY F**KING POST OVER THE LAST 4 YEARS UNTIL YOU FIND IT!

Q: Is it possible to...
A: USE THE F**KING SEARCH BUTTON, GENIUS! DON'T YOU THINK THAT'S ALREADY BEEN ASKED? DID IT OCCUR TO YOU THAT MAYBE WE'VE ALREADY ANSWERED THAT QUESTION A THOUSAND FREAKING TIMES?! I DON'T GIVE A RAT'S ASS THAT IT WAS A SIMPLE YES OR NO QUESTION - WE'RE ALL TOO F**KING IMPORTANT AND BUSY TO TYPE THE 2 OR 3 LETTER ANSWER, AND WE SHOULDN'T EVEN HAVE TO CONSIDERING THAT THIS QUESTION HAS ALREADY BEEN ASKED AND ANSWERED!

Q: Is using mvchannels to get local channels considered...
A: STOP TRYING TO STEAL SERVICE, A**HOLE!

Q: I wasn't trying to steal serice...
A: YES YOU WERE, AND IF YOU MENTION IT ONE MORE TIME, YOU WILL BE BANNED! YOU ARE PUTTING THIS SITE IN JEOPARDY WHEN YOU ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT STEALING SERVICE!

Q: But I just wanted to know if...
A: SO YOU COULD STEAL SERVICE!!! GET THIS THROUGH YOUR BRAINLESS SKULL - THAT'S NOT ALLOWED HERE, YOU DICKLESS, SPINELESS, USELESS PIECE OF WHALE DUNG!

Q: I can't even ask if that's what...
A: NO! DON'T EVEN SAY THE WORDS "STEALING SERVICE" - YOU DON'T HEAR US TALKING ABOUT IT, DO YOU? (UNLESS IT'S TO FLAME THE SHIT OUT OF DUMBASS NEWBIES.)

Q: But I didn't...
A: DO YOU THINK YOU CAN LIE TO US?!?! WE'VE BEEN AROUND TOO LONG FOR YOU TO FOOL US THE ONLY REASON PEOPLE ASK ABOUT THAT IS FOR STEALING SERVICE, SHIT FOR BRAINS! WE'VE ALL BEEN THERE - THAT'S HOW WE KNOW, SO STOP TRYING TO LIE TO US, ASSWIPE!

Q: But I haven't even BOUGHT a DTivo yet...
A: YOU'RE LYING! WE KNOW YOU'RE LYING! THERE'S A F**KING POLYGRAPH ATTACHED TO THE SERVER THAT MONITORS EVERY POST, SO STOP LYING TO US AND STOP TRYING TO STEAL SERVICE!!!

Q: But why are these hacks available if...
A: JUST BECAUSE PEOPLE USE THESE HACKS TO STEAL SERVICE DOESN'T MEAN YOU'RE ALLOWED TO ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT STEALING SERVICE! WE DON'T DISCUSS THAT SHIT HERE AND IF YOU KEEP IT UP WE'LL PERMANENTLY BAN YOUR WORTHLESS ASS!

Q: I...
A: SHUT THE F**K UP!

Q: But...
A: I SAID SHUT THE F**K UP!

Q: But I...
A: WHAT PART OF SHUT THE F**K UP DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?

fixn278
05-11-2004, 03:13 PM
And you posted this because.....?

Lowcarb
05-11-2004, 03:21 PM
:( To the sewer I hope

ElvisIncognito
05-11-2004, 03:23 PM
Partly because of the warm welcome I've received here (and all the helpful answers I've gotten to my questions.) Also, I was inspired by many of the posts I came across while trying to find answers on my own.

Lowcarb
05-11-2004, 03:29 PM
Partly because of the warm welcome I've received here (and all the helpful answers I've gotten to my questions.) Also, I was inspired by many of the posts I came across while trying to find answers on my own.

:confused: Hmmmm! I'm finding it hard to reconcile this thread with the genuine warm and helpful replies you have received. My sarcastometer is on the fritz so I'll just sit on the side and watch others sort this out.

ElvisIncognito
05-11-2004, 03:40 PM
:confused: Hmmmm! I'm finding it hard to reconcile this thread with the genuine warm and helpful replies you have received. My sarcastometer is on the fritz so I'll just sit on the side and watch others sort this out.Please understand - I mean no disrespect to those who try to be helpful. I've read many helpful posts to many questions, but this board seems to have WAY more than its share of abrasive, flame-the-newbie types, and far more "Use the search" responses than I've seen on other boards with FAR more information that are FAR more difficult to search.

That, combined with my inability to find answers to questions like "What are the differences between a Series 1 and a Series 2 DTivo?" and "What are the differences between the various software versions?" (these questions are terribly difficult to find the answers to via the search function - and, for my part, they remain unanswered) led me to post this.

FWIW, if you knew me a bit better, you'd know that it was intended to be tongue-in-cheek/humorous, while at the same time a wake up call to those who are unable to be civil to newbies.

Sincere apologies to those in the helpful majority that may have been offended by this.

Lowcarb
05-11-2004, 04:09 PM
"What are the differences between a Series 1 and a Series 2 DTivo?"

Let me try.
Series 1. PowerPC processor (PPC). No RID chip. The prom chip could be flashed in circuit. Most units have a bracket that will accomodate 2 Hard Drives

Series 2. MIPS processor, processor is a little faster and there is more memory but performance is barely better. Has USB ports but not enabled with current DTivo software (but you can enable them with hacks). Early units did not have a RID chip, newer ones all do. RID chip means you can not run the S2 SA 4.0 software (that has folders) Just as hackable (so long as you aren't talking about theft of service) as the S1. More cost effective for networking then an S1 plus a turbonet card. Most units have a bracket that only accomodates 1 hard drive, aftermarkert brackets are available if you need two drives.

"What are the differences between the various software versions?" (these questions are terribly difficult to find the answers to via the search function - and, for my part, they remain unanswered) led me to post this.

Harder to answer as there are so many and most were minor fixes/updates.
Are you asking about the DTIVO software or about hacks?
For S1 DTV 2.x something only had 1 tuner support then we got 2 tuners. Current version is 3.1.0b I think.

For S2 DTV 3.1.1c is the current version which just fixes a guide data nag screen from 3.1.1b and I never used the versions prior to 3.1.1b for very long.
Non RID S2 DTV could run 4.x from the S2 SA models which has folders (and the drivers for the USB included also).

Does this help?

FWIW, if you knew me a bit better, you'd know ....
yea, but don't yet :p

Sincere apologies to those in the helpful majority that may have been offended by this.

I figured. Carry on.

alldeadhomiez
05-11-2004, 04:23 PM
Please understand - I mean no disrespect to those who try to be helpful. I've read many helpful posts to many questions, but this board seems to have WAY more than its share of abrasive, flame-the-newbie types, and far more "Use the search" responses than I've seen on other boards with FAR more information that are FAR more difficult to search.

That, combined with my inability to find answers to questions like "What are the differences between a Series 1 and a Series 2 DTivo?" and "What are the differences between the various software versions?" (these questions are terribly difficult to find the answers to via the search function - and, for my part, they remain unanswered) led me to post this.

FWIW, if you knew me a bit better, you'd know that it was intended to be tongue-in-cheek/humorous, while at the same time a wake up call to those who are unable to be civil to newbies.

By now I'm sure you've noticed that, for the most part, we see two different types of new users:

- newbies who write poor documentation
- newbies who write no documentation

Your "Newbie FAQ" post has placed you squarely into the first group.

The root of the problem is that writing well-researched, complete documentation is a difficult, time-consuming, thankless task that often requires input and effort from several parties. When you're done, your PM box will quickly fill up with questions from people who didn't bother reading the whole thing or looking up unfamiliar terms.

One thing we know for sure is that people love to complain and beg, so in most cases they'd rather spend their time ranting about how much the other users suck than documenting what they've learned after they've found an answer.

So, are you going to break the mold?

ElvisIncognito
05-11-2004, 04:51 PM
Let me try.THANK YOU!!!
Series 1. PowerPC processor (PPC). No RID chip. The prom chip could be flashed in circuit. Most units have a bracket that will accomodate 2 Hard Drives

Series 2. MIPS processor, processor is a little faster and there is more memory but performance is barely better. Has USB ports but not enabled with current DTivo software (but you can enable them with hacks). Early units did not have a RID chip, newer ones all do. RID chip means you can not run the S2 SA 4.0 software (that has folders) Just as hackable (so long as you aren't talking about theft of service) as the S1. More cost effective for networking then an S1 plus a turbonet card. Most units have a bracket that only accomodates 1 hard drive, aftermarkert brackets are available if you need two drives.OK, thanks you VERY much, but I'm asking more from the viewpoint of functionality... I have the opportunity to pay $49 (to DTV) and exchange my DSR6000 for a Series 2 DTivo (of DTV's choice/selection). I'm trying to ascertain whether that's a good move or not - I need to know what, if anything, I can do (stock AND hacks) on an S2 unit that I can't do on an S1. (And vice versa if there are things I can do on an S1 that I can't do on an S2. Someone on TCF told me that I'd lose all functionality that requires the back door to be enabled - not sure how true that is.)

Harder to answer as there are so many and most were minor fixes/updates.I can appreciate that. I'd be happy to assemble a reference post documenting the differences for each upgrade... if I knew where to find the answers.

Are you asking about the DTIVO software or about hacks?TiVo software - but as it relates to hacks. Essentially this is an extension of the situation I described above... Assuming that it's not really worth it to me to upgrade to an S2 unit, my next decision will be what to do with my existing S1. It won't upgrade past 2.5.2, so I could go with 2.5Xtreme, then use SuperZap's 3.1 upgrade, but maybe I'm better off with SZ's 252 upgrade... Again, what can I do with 3.1 that I can't do in 2.5.2? And vice versa?

Your response and your help are very much appreciated?

ElvisIncognito
05-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Your "Newbie FAQ" post has placed you squarely into the first group.Cut me some slack - my Newbie FAQ was tongue-in-cheek! :D
The root of the problem is that writing well-researched, complete documentation is a difficult, time-consuming, thankless taskI agree with the first 2, but I've generally found people to be pretty appreciative.
that often requires input and effort from several parties.Which seems to be like pulling teeth around here!
When you're done, your PM box will quickly fill up with questions from people who didn't bother reading the whole thing or looking up unfamiliar terms.That's avoidable - it requires a glossary for defining terms and TLAs.
One thing we know for sure is that people love to complain and beg, so in most cases they'd rather spend their time ranting about how much the other users suck than documenting what they've learned after they've found an answer.

So, are you going to break the mold?Yup.

mrblack51
05-11-2004, 05:09 PM
So, are you going to break the mold?

Yup.

well, you already did with that first post of this thread. that post is the most disrespectful post i have seen in most of the time i have been a mod. the last time i saw stuff that despicable was from people like wolkowh and orangejaylove. stop complaining about poor responses, do some research, and then act differently then those who you feel wronged you. so long as its within the bounds of the board rules, its fair enough. as ADH has pointed out, its easy to complain about how things arent perfect, but few ever take reasonable steps to correct that.

alldeadhomiez
05-11-2004, 05:59 PM
I agree with the first 2, but I've generally found people to be pretty appreciative.

Actually, what people appreciate most are silly "guides" that don't teach them anything. There are dozens of these; please write something of substance instead.

Which seems to be like pulling teeth around here!

Considering how rudely you've asked and how little you've done on your own, what did you expect?

ElvisIncognito
05-11-2004, 07:01 PM
that post is the most disrespectful post i have seen in most of the time i have been a mod.You have seen (and responded) to many posts like that from "David Bought" (who was one of the principal inspirations for my post.) When searching, trying to find answers to my questions, I was, quite frankly, shocked at the number of such posts (and the amount of time that he and others like him were allowed to be so disrespectful)!
stop complaining about poor responses, do some researchI've BEEN doing research! I've searched using every combination of keywords I could find, and when that failed, I've gone through - one by one - the posts of those who appear to be very knowledgeable. So far I've searched through your posts for the past several months, as well as those from Captain Video - and I've still come up empty!
then act differently then those who you feel wronged you.If it was just about "those who wronged me" it would be different - but it's about the treatment of newbies in general. I'll say it again - shocking! There are questions I THOUGHT about asking, but didn't want to deal with the flames which seemed inevitable!

Think about what that means to the board at large - if newbies are to be flamed and discouraged from asking questions, pretty soon you'll have nothing but a small group of elitists.

Having gone through many of your posts, I have great respect for you, so, although I have already apologized, I will do so again:

I am sincerely sorry if I offended those of you who are helpful. I meant no disrespect to any of you. I was merely making a bit of a joke, while at the same time calling attention to something that seemed highly inappropriate for a public knowledge-sharing forum.
its easy to complain about how things arent perfect, but few ever take reasonable steps to correct that.Well, I will happily do so if I can just manage to acquire the knowledge.

ElvisIncognito
05-11-2004, 07:04 PM
please write something of substance instead.Gladly. Once I have something to share, I will make it as substantial as possible.
Considering how rudely you've asked and how little you've done on your own, what did you expect?You have NO IDEA how much I've done on my own... YOU try doing a search and see if YOU can come up with the answers to those particular questions!

mrblack51
05-11-2004, 07:08 PM
Gladly. Once I have something to share, I will make it as substantial as possible.You have NO IDEA how much I've done on my own... YOU try doing a search and see if YOU can come up with the answers to those particular questions!

i have, and, in fact, i found a great number of threads on the topic. in the other thread you posted to, there was a link provided by rpl to a thread with the answers you sought.

did you try searching for "differences series"? that pulled up lots of threads.

JJBliss
05-11-2004, 09:02 PM
In case it comes up in any of your casual conversations in this thread, I renamed this thread lest it cause any confusion for the bright newbies who might look to it for help, since it actually provides no such thing.

Since there are many tens of thousands of members of Dealdatabase, and only a select few who find it inhospitable, nasty and unhelpful, I tend not to care too much about ElvisInognito (and the likes of him) and his silly rant. I just don't want folks to be mislead when they are searching for answers.

More then you can imagine, Dealdatabase has helped, nurtured and developed more then ElvisIncognito ever will here, as is evidenced by this uninformed, ridiculous, and demeaning piece of satire.

The reason David Bought was allowed to continue here, is the same reason your post and this thread have not been deleted. Also, the reason you have not been banned. Continue to speak your mind, but remember you are doing so at our will.

Enjoy Dealdatabase

ElvisIncognito
05-12-2004, 05:37 PM
in the other thread you posted to, there was a link provided by rpl to a thread with the answers you sought.I'm not sure which post you're referring to, but if it's this one: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=159109&postcount=2 , I followed the posted link and read the thread... if the answers were there, they certainly weren't clear to me.
did you try searching for "differences series"? that pulled up lots of threads.I tried many different iterations of keywords. Perhaps part of my problem is not understanding what the search engine will accept in the way of phrases, booleans, etc. (Some sort of documentation on how to best use the Search function would be really helpful.) That combined with the fact that sometimes "Series 1" is written as "S2", etc. makes this a tough nut to crack, but I will follow your suggestion and give it another try.

ElvisIncognito
05-12-2004, 06:04 PM
I tend not to care too much about ElvisInognito (and the likes of him) and his silly rant.The likes of ME? You know next to nothing about me?! All you really have to go in is the rather poor initial impression I've made here. (Mea culpa.)

I've clearly made an error in judgment with a post that I thought would be construed as humorous. So be it. Everyone makes mistakes, and everyone draws their own line in the sand beyond which a mistake becomes unforgiveable. If I've crossed that, then ban me now - no point in going further.

Otherwise, I'll do what I can to redeem myself, though clearly it will be an uphill battle as many of those whose knowledge would be invaluable to me will now be even less inclined to help me than they apparently were before.
Dealdatabase has helped, nurtured and developed more then ElvisIncognito ever will here, as is evidenced by this uninformed, ridiculous, and demeaning piece of satire.To the extent that you wish to use the past as an indicator of the future, I respectfully submit the following links which document the extent to which I try to help others in the online communities in which I actively participate:

http://www.windowsshellscripting.com/forum/search.asp?search=ElvisIncognito&searchMode=allwords&searchIn=Author&forum=0&searchSort=dateDESC&Submit=Start+Search

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=353676

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=351900

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=235923

The reason David Bought was allowed to continue here, is the same reason your post and this thread have not been deleted. Also, the reason you have not been banned. Continue to speak your mind, but remember you are doing so at our will.At this point, I would have no problem with it if my thread DID get deleted, but I understand and respect what you're saying.

TheWickedPriest
05-12-2004, 07:15 PM
I've clearly made an error in judgment with a post that I thought would be construed as humorous.
Well, I thought it was funny.

almontebarnes
05-12-2004, 08:47 PM
I've clearly made an error in judgment with a post that I thought would be construed as humorous.

It was funny. The only mistake you made was in trying to justify yourself; there was no need. Every response since the original posting has been a waste of time. Everyone needs to get on with life. Including me.

Sleeper
05-12-2004, 10:35 PM
You have seen (and responded) to many posts like that from "David Bought" (who was one of the principal inspirations for my post.

Yes, you mimicked his style quite well. I found it quite humorous and don't really have a problem with it as long as it's in the Sewer.

And yes, that problem went on here for way too long before it was rectified.

As far as your frustration, there is much that could be done in terms of organizing this board. However, as pointed out, it is a thankless job. I suggest that if you really want to help that you work on the Wiki.

S.

ElvisIncognito
05-13-2004, 01:14 PM
Thanks to all who let me know that you appreciated the humor - it really helped to soften the blow - I was, quite frankly, concerned that I had no future on this board, and that would be a shame since I dig what you're doing here and think I can make a contribution. (Of course, you should probably be smacking me down instead of encouraging me, but, hey- it's your ass... :D)

if you really want to helpI do. I plan to start with a couple of (hopefully) comprehensive posts that answer the 3 questions that I, as a noob, wanted answered (but couldn't quickly find the answers to - at least not ones written in noob-ese):

1) Why would I want to hack my TiVo? (or What can I do with a hacked TiVo?)
2) What are the functional differences between Series 1 and Series 2 DTivos? (or Which should I buy/want if given the choice?)
3) What are the differences between the various software versions? (or Which software version should I install?)

I'm STILL trying to figure out the rules on how/when to tiptoe around issues/hacks involving service theft... For some time now I've wanted to get clarification on the mvchannels hack - it seems like if I use this hack, I don't have to pay for locals, but it also seems like asking that is against the rules?

work on the Wiki.What Wiki? Where?

alldeadhomiez
05-13-2004, 02:08 PM
1) Why would I want to hack my TiVo? (or What can I do with a hacked TiVo?)

Did you search for "wiki"? Just keep reading and searching until all of your questions are answered.

http://www.alt.org/wiki/index.php/TivoHackingLinks

I'm STILL trying to figure out the rules on how/when to tiptoe around issues/hacks involving service theft... For some time now I've wanted to get clarification on the mvchannels hack - it seems like if I use this hack, I don't have to pay for locals, but it also seems like asking that is against the rules?

mvchannels was a script that reordered the guide and renumbered hidden channels. It is obsolete due to changes in local channel handling. It was not a service authorization hack, although it would probably be considered a gray area today because of the freetv crowd these things inevitably attract.

ElvisIncognito
05-13-2004, 05:54 PM
Did you search for "wiki"?Sorry, I was confused. I already had the alt.org wiki bookmarked - I thought Sleeper was referring to a wiki on DDB.

mvchannels was a script that reordered the guide and renumbered hidden channels. It is obsolete due to changes in local channel handling. It was not a service authorization hack, although it would probably be considered a gray area today because of the freetv crowd these things inevitably attract.Hmmmm. OK. But there IS a (non-obsolete) hack for this, right? At the risk of being flamed on this, the reason that I'm asking is that, although I currently pay for my locals (and have no plans to discontinue doing so), I frequently get screwed during football season when a really good game gets televised on the national feeds while the *****s at my local affiliates choose to run a crappy game (or worse yet, golf or bowling or whatever). I tried filing the standard appeal to be able to receive the national feeds, but of course I got denied. Seems like my only alternative is a hack.

MODS: If it's not OK to ask about this, then by all means, please delete or edit this post!

EDIT: Nevermind! Sorry! I'm sure the answer is here: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23360&highlight=local+channels :)

alldeadhomiez
05-13-2004, 06:26 PM
At the risk of being flamed on this, the reason that I'm asking is that, although I currently pay for my locals (and have no plans to discontinue doing so), I frequently get screwed during football season when a really good game gets televised on the national feeds while the *****s at my local affiliates choose to run a crappy game (or worse yet, golf or bowling or whatever). I tried filing the standard appeal to be able to receive the national feeds, but of course I got denied. Seems like my only alternative is a hack.

Nobody will flame you for asking about it, but it's not an appropriate topic unless you can do it in a way that isn't illegal.

Consider subscribing to NFL Sunday Ticket or to a Canadian provider through a broker.

m4mmut
05-13-2004, 09:12 PM
At the risk of being flamed on this, the reason that I'm asking is that, although I currently pay for my locals (and have no plans to discontinue doing so), I frequently get screwed during football season when a really good game gets televised on the national feeds while the *****s at my local affiliates choose to run a crappy game (or worse yet, golf or bowling or whatever). I tried filing the standard appeal to be able to receive the national feeds, but of course I got denied. Seems like my only alternative is a hack.

I was able to accomplish this by "moving" to a new address. You can change the service address on your account to an area that is elgible to receive distant networks. I was able to find a city that qualified for distant networks and also was able to get my own locals. The charge for the distants was $2.25 per channel.

Just look at a map and try to find a city far enough away that it would not receive OTA channels then go to the yellow pages and find a street address in that city. Plug in the address into the website below and see if you qualify for the distant nets. If you do call up direvctv and tell them you want to change your service address. After it is changesd ask them if distant networks are available. They will then add the networks you want to your account. After doing this you will still receive your bill at your home address.

http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/app/AddressEntry.asp

ElvisIncognito
05-14-2004, 11:08 AM
Cool! Thanks, m4mmut!

SLipNoT1995
07-30-2005, 03:16 AM
I thought it was funny and true!!
Think of it this way it's like asking a little old lady
if she needs help accross the street and helping by
carrying her groceries for her. Then when you get to
the other side hand her the groceries and then proceed
to beat the hell out of her with a baseball bat!!

:) :) :confused: :eek: :( :p

AlphaWolf
07-30-2005, 04:12 AM
I love playing wake the dead, can I join you?

PlainBill
07-30-2005, 08:25 AM
I thought it was funny and true!!
Think of it this way it's like asking a little old lady
if she needs help accross the street and helping by
carrying her groceries for her. Then when you get to
the other side hand her the groceries and then proceed
to beat the hell out of her with a baseball bat!!

:) :) :confused: :eek: :( :p
In your case, it's more like after helping the little old lady across the street, she tells you she wants you to take her home, mow the lawn, and paint the house. When you protest, she calls you a ****.

Note to Newbies: More than 90% of you are intelligent, eager to learn, and need only a few pointers. I really enjoy helping you. Then there is Noose (SLipNoT1995). What kind of a person never even looks under the Tools tab?

PlainBill

SLipNoT1995
07-30-2005, 02:56 PM
Come on plainbill you do help and it is appreciated so don't think that was aiming at you or anyone else in particular.So everyone that reads what i wrote and helps people you wouldn't get mad because it wasn't aimed at you.
I would think if people weren't guilty of treating others like the first post describes than people wouldn't get mad! THINK OF IT THIS WAY this is all in good fun if your not having fun then you should change hobbies!

Now i have been reading post for a while about local channels and have come up empty on what i was looking for i mite have read the answer and didn't now it where all human. People write thease post in there mind not yours it's kind of hard to figure out how a thousend people are thinking?

P.S Plainbill there is no big font that say's tools it;s actually a
little arrow - on the right at the top just to help you understand
i have 20/200 vision and thanks again! Oh the link dosn't take.

MOStyle
08-16-2005, 06:31 AM

FWIW, I thought this was funny.. The implied sarcasm with which you accuratly prtayed 80% of the responses was well aimed.. :)

To the mods.. I understand your psin too.. I'm an IT guy atwork that made the mistake of giving out my home number to a few 'friends...'

The phrase referencing inches and think them wanting a ruler comes to mind..
Seriously tho.. The original post WAS funny.. :)

PlainBill
08-16-2005, 06:29 PM
Glad you enjoyed it. Now you can go help gnezer - he wants to argue about mounting partitions in the Newbie Forum. It'll seem a lot less funny after a few dozen like him - or worse than him.

PlainBill

alldeadhomiez
08-19-2005, 01:40 AM
FWIW, I thought this was funny.. The implied sarcasm with which you accuratly prtayed 80% of the responses was well aimed.. :)

FWIW, he hasn't logged in for over a year. He got what he wanted, then vanished. Just like all of the other complainers.

So much for "breaking the mold." :rolleyes:

myself62
08-29-2005, 02:38 PM
Hi all. First let me thank all of the experts here who supply the information us Noobs need. Thanks to you I have a fixed and upgraded tivo ( I was close to just buying a new one to fix my problem). My problem started about 6 months ago when my tivo began stuttering. After doing a search for tivo troubleshooting i ended up here. I searched and found the info I needed quite easily. Installed a new, larger drive and was on my way. Kept searching the cool threads and got brave enough to try and enable HMO/Networking on my sd-dvr40. Everything (mostly) went smooth. A month later and the unit still works great (instantcake and boot disc definately worth the $25 IMHO). I am no linux pro (understatement), although I do have an A+ in computers. The point of this admittedly useless post is to push all other noobs to search, read and learn. It's all here. I came in here knowing nadda and now feel comfortable working on my tivo. I never posted a single question. I knew all my answers would be here. All told I spent maybe 8 hours on research, not much IMHO. If you don't want to learn or read, you are in the wrong place. There is no all-in-one answer to upgrading a tivo. Things change quickly. Although I did follow a "guide" for my 4.x hmo/networking upgrade, I found it on my own and I understand why "guides" can be impractical. yadda yadda, I really just wanted to say thanks! Many noobs are very happy with the info here and the way it is presented. If I ever discover something helpful to post, I will. Otherwise I will leave the postings to those who are qualified. :)