PDA

View Full Version : Finding tserver?

blusky
05-12-2004, 10:46 AM
I have not been able to find where tserver is on my HDVR2 using telnet. Is there a linux command that would tell me where it is or if it is installed? . Just trying to use tytools (thanks jdiner) to extract some shows and can't get beyond the first step.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JJBliss
05-12-2004, 10:49 AM
I have not been able to find where tserver is on my HDVR2 using telnet. Is there a linux command that would tell me where it is or if it is installed? . Just trying to use tytools (thanks jdiner) to extract some shows and can't get beyond the first step.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When you installed it, where did you put it ?

If you just used Sleeper's ISO, try /usr/tytools

Try the find or grep commands.

blusky
05-12-2004, 02:56 PM
Thanks JJBliss for your help. I have tried going from directory to directory then typing ls -1 to show all subfolders but have not found it. I have looked in the usr directory and all that is in there is tivo-web-tcl. I tried the find command as follows at bash typed find /tserver and also without the / it could not recognize the commandI will look into the grep commands. Appreciate the help.

captain_video
05-12-2004, 03:21 PM
If you used Sleeper's tivoscript it should be in the /usr/tytools directory like JJ said. If it isn't then it probably never got installed or was removed for some reason. You can always reinstall it using the latest S2 binaries. It doesn't run in the background by default so it's just a couple of files taking up minimal space on the Tivo drive. If it is running at bootup then you can check the rc.sysinit.author file for the command line that calls the program to see where it's located. Otherwise, simply transfer the NowShowing.tcl, tserver_mfs7_mips and mfs_stream files over to the DTivo and put them in the /usr/tytools directory or create one if it does not currently exist. Do a chmod 755 to all three files and then start the tserver file from bash when you want to extract some files as follows:

cd /usr/tytools
./tserver_mfs7_mips

I like to rename the file as "tserver" so I don't have to type in a long name every time I want to run it.

blusky
05-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Thanks captain_video for your help. I think it is just not installed. Will do as you say and install using telnet as soon as I get a chance and post back. I did not see any commands to start it in the rc.sysinit.author file .

eastwind
05-13-2004, 02:02 AM
Thanks JJBliss for your help. I have tried going from directory to directory then typing ls -1 to show all subfolders but have not found it. I have looked in the usr directory and all that is in there is tivo-web-tcl. I tried the find command as follows at bash typed find /tserver and also without the / it could not recognize the commandI will look into the grep commands. Appreciate the help.
If you don't have the 'find' command you could try something like this:
cd /
ls -R | grep tserver
And that would tell you if it is at least installed.

ew

Disclaimer: I am not well studied in Linux commands....there may be an easier way.

lgkahn
05-13-2004, 07:58 AM
not sure this is the best not really any different than your ls command but this is how I use find

tivo:/$ find . | grep -i tserver
./usr/tytools/tserver
./usr/tytools/tserver_mfs7_mips
tivo:/$

blusky
05-13-2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks eastwind and Igkahn for your responce. As ignorant as this may seem I cannot find the verticle symbol on the keyboard. cd /
ls -R | grep tserver, between -R and grep. Appreciate the help.

captain_video
05-13-2004, 12:56 PM
It's on your keyboard above the "\" symbol in the upper right-hand corner. It's called the pipe symbol.

blusky
05-13-2004, 01:54 PM
Thanks captain_video for clarifying that pipe symbol. When I typed eastwind's commands this is what I got:
tivo:/var/tmp$ cd /
tivo:/$ ls -R | grep tserver

When I tried lgkanh's command line this is what I got:
tivo:/var/tmp$ cd /tivo
bash: cd: /tivo: No such file or directory
tivo:/var/tmp$ find . grep -i tserver: Find command not found
tivo:/var/tmp$
Just want to make sure its not installed anywhere or running before I reinstall it using the latest S2 binaries. Thanks for the help.

eastwind
05-13-2004, 01:58 PM
Thanks captain_video for clarifying that pipe symbol. When I typed eastwind's commands this is what I got:
tivo:/var/tmp$ cd /
tivo:/$ ls -R | grep tserver

grep would find 'tserver' in the output of ls -R and printed any instance of it on the screen (stdout). To see what I mean, try it with something else: ls -R | grep bin. The fact that your TiVo merely returned to the bash prompt show that you don't have anything on your TiVo with that combination of letters.

ew

blusky
05-13-2004, 07:36 PM
Thanks eastwind, used it with bin,worked great! I will remember that command.
If I could ask one more question, please. I have had a bad experience with transfering files to and from my HDRV2, self induced of course. I was using flashFxp ftp program and needed to correct a line that was commented(#) that should not have been. So I used flashFxp to open rc.sysinit.author file and edited the #. Messed up my whole rc. sysinit sinse the editor was a windows editor. "Where did all those blue M's come from". After about three weeks waruwaru was kind enough to give me a hand to fix it. Thanks waruwaru. I am a little weak on the commands but working on it. Appreciate the help.

captain_video
05-13-2004, 09:05 PM
Try using TextPad for editing your Tivo files. It will save them in Unix format so you don't have the same problems later on.

blusky
05-13-2004, 09:36 PM
Thanks, captain_video. Just got a copy of textpad. What is the best way to transfer files to my tivo? tivoftpd or telnet? thanks.

eastwind
05-14-2004, 05:48 AM
Thanks, captain_video. Just got a copy of textpad. What is the best way to transfer files to my tivo? tivoftpd or telnet? thanks.
Transfer them with ftp protocols and make them go in binary for most files.
ew

captain_video
05-14-2004, 08:28 AM
FTP is best and fastest. You can't transfer via telnet if you have an ethernet connection which pretty much leaves you with FTP as your only choice anyway. Telnet only works for direct connection via serial port and I've only had success sending files to the Tivo and not to the PC.

TheWickedPriest
05-14-2004, 08:49 AM
You can't transfer via telnet if you have an ethernet connection
Yes you bloody well can.

captain_video
05-14-2004, 09:19 AM
Yes you bloody well can.

Perhaps, but not reliably from my personal experience. Perhaps you know of a method that I'm not emplying that will allow you to perform telnet file transfers via ethernet. FTP is far more reliable and simply works better for this application than telnet, IMO.

blusky
05-14-2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks captain_video, eastwind and TheWickedPriest for your help. That is exactly what I was looking for. So I can use FlashFxp or just regular Ftp and I will set it in binary mode. I know how to set flashFxp ftp program to binary. I connect to fmfs_ftp by going to start, run type ftp ip address of tivo then enter.Is there a way to set mfs_ftp to binary or do you just mean make sure the files are in Binary form before sending it? Thanks to all.