PDA

View Full Version : Transponders In Hawaii?

Booski
05-13-2004, 07:50 PM
Aloha:

I set up my DSR704 Tivo and got an account with DTV and went throught the set-up procedure step by step. I am receiving a 85-90 strength signal on all of the transponders I get, but I get nothing from transponders, 4,6,8,12,14,16,18,20,22,24,26,28,29 and 31.

When I cliked to finish the set-up, the receiver says Sat101 not detected. I click go ahead anyway and it seems to work fine except I get absolutely no network or local stations. The locals are not available here, so I asked for the SF locals in the packaged deal DTV has now. I don't receive any locals or the East or West coast network stations.

Does anyone have an idea as to why I am missing those transponders but the stations seem to be coming in fine including the HBO I added to the package? I am using a multi-switch and bringing two satellite inputs in?

Thank You for Taking the Time to Read my questions and Hopefully lend some answers.

booski :)

TheWickedPriest
05-13-2004, 08:24 PM
I'm surprised they're even selling them in Hawaii. (Or did you get it mail order from somewhere else?) I'd heard that the footprint of the broadcast beams from DirecTV's satellites barely fell outside the contiguous 48.

Anyway, at least some of the transponders you listed are for spot beams (used for local channels), which are really narrow-focus. Even here in the 48, it's normal for some of them to be at 0. Not as many as you listed, though.

I don't know what deal you're referring to, but there's no earthly chance you'll pick up the San Francisco spot beam. If you can't get genuine local channels, you should (and can only) get the national feeds (which aren't on spot beams). DirecTV should know this, so I'm a bit puzzled.

Booski
05-13-2004, 08:54 PM
The deal that DTV has right now is on their web sits. First six months programming is $29.99 for the first six months and $39.99 the second on a one year commitment. Locals are included in the price.

DTV does not offer locals in Hawaii yet and I had them programm the SF locals on the card. I was pretty sure that I would not get the SF locals, but I don't get the East Coast or West Coast feeds either.

Direct just started offereing the same choices here as the mainland jus a three foot dish. I am told that if I want all three satellites, I will need thre seperate 1 Meter dishes.

booski :)

TheWickedPriest
05-14-2004, 08:55 AM
Interesting. (Both the meter dish, and the out-of-market locals... I never heard of them offering such a thing.) Anyway, you need to call them and get them to fix this. Since it's physically impossible for you to receive any of the spot beams, they must give you the national feeds.