PDA

View Full Version : My Workflow

needo
05-14-2004, 02:38 PM
This is my current workflow. I was wondering what you guys thought and if any one have found any thing better.

1. Download episode with TyTool
2. Make / Edit Key Files to remove comercials
3. Multiplex Episode
4. Re-encode Episode to SVCD spec using TMPGEnc for storage.
5. Once I have enough to burn a DVD re-encode episodes using TMPGEnc for DVD.

I think in using this process I am degrading the quality of my rips by quite a bit.

I've been looking at ETivo to use for the temporary storage since the space is so much less. But is it possible to re-encode a WM9 file to an MPEG-2 DVD quality episode?

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to what you have to say.

drnull
05-14-2004, 02:52 PM
4. Re-encode Episode to SVCD spec using TMPGEnc for storage.
Why?

I've been looking at ETivo to use for the temporary storage since the space is so much less. But is it possible to re-encode a WM9 file to an MPEG-2 DVD quality episode?

Any time you encode an encoded file, you're losing a degree of quality. I'm guessing here, but I think that going from mpeg to wmf then back to mpeg would be worse than staying in the mpeg only realm.

So, three questions:

1) why do you reencode to svcd spec?
2) why do you reencode to dvd spec? Does your player not support 480x480? (I assume you're dtivo, since otherwise you could just change the resolution and record at pseudo-dvd spec.)
3) why can't you just store it on the computer until you need to make the dvd? Not enough storage space? Space is cheap. Get more/bigger drives.

Homer S
05-14-2004, 03:20 PM
I am curious why you reencode for SVCD.

From dvdrhelp.com, SVCD standards are

NTSC (NTSC Film)

Video:
max 2600 kbit/sec MPEG-2 (Audio + Video bitrate max bitrate is 2778 kbit/s).
480 x 480 pixels (CVD 352x480)
29,97 frames/second
23,976 frames/second with 3:2 pulldown (NTSC Film)
with up to 4 Selectable CVD or SVCD Subtitles

Audio:
44100 Hz
32 - 384 kbit/sec MPEG-1 Layer2 or MPEG2 Audio
with up to 2 Audio Tracks

Extra :
Menus and chapters.
Still pictures 704x480,352x240

I believe DTivo meets these (with audio reprocessing via TyTool) and SATivo can be made to do this.

With my DTivo, the only issue I had is a little glitch from VCDEasy (last free version) which you could ignore.

Homer Out

needo
05-14-2004, 03:23 PM
Why?
1) why do you reencode to svcd spec?

To take up less space on the hard drive

2) why do you reencode to dvd spec? Does your player not support 480x480? (I assume you're dtivo, since otherwise you could just change the resolution and record at pseudo-dvd spec.)

Because I encoded to SVCD spec so I need to take it back up to DVD spec.

3) why can't you just store it on the computer until you need to make the dvd? Not enough storage space? Space is cheap. Get more/bigger drives.
Because I store so much stuff I've already filled up a 120GB RAID-5 Array without even thinking about it. 1GB an hour vs. 700MB an hour. I guess your right. Im not saving that much by re-encoding.

needo
05-14-2004, 03:24 PM
I am curious why you reencode for SVCD.

I re-encode to save space.

What workflow do you follow?

Waruwaru
05-14-2004, 03:37 PM
How about just not be such a media-pack-rat, and only archive to dvd? :) What is your purpose for archiving? If you are archiving so you can re-edit them later, archive to DVD in .TY/.TY+/.TMF format. If just to be able to watch on DVD player, then just burn DVD whenever you get 4 gigs worth?

Encoding is not same as compression (such as PKZip). Since mpg is already compressed, PKZip doesn't really compress much, I just tried it on a VOB, and I only got a 7% space saving on a 30 mins/498 meg show.

needo
05-14-2004, 03:47 PM
How about just not be such a media-pack-rat, and only archive to dvd? :) What is your purpose for archiving? If you are archiving so you can re-edit them later, archive to DVD in .TY/.TY+/.TMF format. If just to be able to watch on DVD player, then just burn DVD whenever you get 4 gigs worth?

Encoding is not same as compression (such as PKZip). Since mpg is already compressed, PKZip doesn't really compress much, I just tried it on a VOB, and I only got a 7% space saving on a 30 mins/498 meg show.

With the encoding options I use I can fit 4 1 hour television shows on a DVD. Or 8 30 minute television shows.

Such as using one DVD for a one hour show sounds like a waste.

(Im not defending my workflow. I know it has flaws and just plain sucks.)

What workflows do you guys use and how many shows do you put on a DVD?

Waruwaru
05-14-2004, 04:06 PM
Well, if you want small size, then you have to figure out what is an acceptable quality. I havn't done much yet, so far, I have been able to cram about 2 movies onto each DVD. The 30 mins show I was looking at was only 500 megs, so I can fit about 8 of those on a DVD without encoding as well.

Sounds like we are getting about the same amount of shows/movies onto DVDs, but I don't need to waste time for re-encoding. I just do the TyTools->GOPEditor to remove commercial->Vob mux->DVD Lab. As far as I can tell, the quality is just as good as on my Tivo. Oh yeah, I have a DTivo (HDVR2).

eastwind
05-14-2004, 05:41 PM
Sounds like you need some more online/near-line storage. If you already have a DVD burner and don't want to add more hard-drive space you might want to think about some DVD R/Ws for temporary storage (until you get the right files to make it more permanent. For my workflow I just buy hard drives on sale for less that 50 cents / GB and store files until I have the ones I want (in a series I try to put them in air-date order). Then I use TyTool to cut and process, then make the IFO set, DVD-Shrink if the fileset is too big, and burn with Record Now. I have a stand alone series 1 and put 5-6 hour long shows on a disk. Usually I only drop one movie and burn it without a menu per disk.

ew

needo
05-17-2004, 01:08 PM
I got my Direct Tivo setup today. These mpeg's take up a lot less space. No more re-encoding to SVCD for me.

Thank you all for your help.