PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Server (Web based)

osetivo
05-16-2004, 04:06 PM
Didn't want to hijack Masnark's thread.

Masnark has a very nice setup, but with slightly different goals in mind. His EtivoServer automatically/maunally downloads TY files from the TiVo to a PC (via mfs_ftp) and re-encodes them via Windows Media Encoder into WMV files, so that the re-encoded files can be downloaded/streamed later from the PC. The EtiVo Web is the front end interface for processing, viewing and downloading of the media files. Very cool for his needs.

I'm looking for something more like Masnark's EtiVo Web interface that would list the media files (TY, MPEG, AVI, etc.) on the Media Server PC, maybe even files on the TiVo, via a mapped network drive to the TiVo, so that when a hypertext link is selected, a script (such as the one described below) launches Windows Media Encoder with the selected file, and then broadcast a real-time stream of the file over the internet. A script would also launch Media Player locally with the appropriate URL to the stream.

I did some tinkering with the Windows Media Encoder SDK (I'm not a programmer) and played with a couple of samples, including a web based WME Monitoring app, and more importantly a vb script that launches WME. "CScript.exe Wmcmd.vbs -input c:\test.avi -broadcast 8079" will launch WME and stream the AVI file via port 8079. (more settings can be controlled via the script)

Maybe I'm naive, but this doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. More a matter of finding a a capable person who's interested.

Masnark's indicated it's something he's thinking about it, but don't let that stand in the way. So, any takers?

NOTE: It sure would beat the hell out of my current process of using Windows Remote Desktop to connect to my "Media Server PC" and launch Windows Media Encoder, manually select a media file for streaming, and broadcast the encoded stream over internet. (for a LAN, I'll just use Explorer and double click) I then disconnect Remote Desktop and locally launch Windows Media Player, open the url to the Media Server PC's stream and watch the video remotely.

mavrcksd
05-16-2004, 11:33 PM
Didn't want to hijack Masnark's thread.

Masnark has a very nice setup, but with slightly different goals in mind. His EtivoServer automatically/maunally downloads TY files from the TiVo to a PC (via mfs_ftp) and re-encodes them via Windows Media Encoder into WMV files, so that the re-encoded files can be downloaded/streamed later from the PC. The EtiVo Web is the front end interface for processing, viewing and downloading of the media files. Very cool for his needs.

I'm looking for something more like Masnark's EtiVo Web interface that would list the media files (TY, MPEG, AVI, etc.) on the Media Server PC, maybe even files on the TiVo, via a mapped network drive to the TiVo, so that when a hypertext link is selected, a script (such as the one described below) launches Windows Media Encoder with the selected file, and then broadcast a real-time stream of the file over the internet. A script would also launch Media Player locally with the appropriate URL to the stream.

I did some tinkering with the Windows Media Encoder SDK (I'm not a programmer) and played with a couple of samples, including a web based WME Monitoring app, and more importantly a vb script that launches WME. "CScript.exe Wmcmd.vbs -input c:\test.avi -broadcast 8079" will launch WME and stream the AVI file via port 8079. (more settings can be controlled via the script)

Maybe I'm naive, but this doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. More a matter of finding a a capable person who's interested.

Masnark's indicated it's something he's thinking about it, but don't let that stand in the way. So, any takers?

NOTE: It sure would beat the hell out of my current process of using Windows Remote Desktop to connect to my "Media Server PC" and launch Windows Media Encoder, manually select a media file for streaming, and broadcast the encoded stream over internet. (for a LAN, I'll just use Explorer and double click) I then disconnect Remote Desktop and locally launch Windows Media Player, open the url to the Media Server PC's stream and watch the video remotely.

This sounds really interesting, ... basically I have done all of that at work. I have coded around the WM9 sdk and am able to control it and all the variables.

it's not hard to do at all.

FredThompson
05-17-2004, 12:51 AM
Somnabatch. This stupid-ass board software won't let you go backwards without it erasing the message you're working on.

long story short, see the attached list of programming helps.

I'm working on something similar to what you describe but to properly handle DTiVo streams as well as MP3, ogg, game emulators, etc.

d7o's TyShow could be the key to properly encoding DTiVo source if he provides a way to skip deinterlacing (which fuzzies the pictures and cuts the frame rate in half) and includes support for teh non-standard field usage. Without that, any re-encoding of DTiVo streams leads to problems.

look at videolan.org for streaming support of video.

should be possible to have a TiVo-side app which would retrieve a list of files from a server and let you pick for download into the TiVo. Should be possible to do the same with PCs, sort of like placing an order and it arrives in a few minutes. That would reduce strain on a video server. Not sure if videolan server can be configured to copy from a disc to its hard drive before serving. That would be really awesome.

Don't know if TyTool-edited VOBs could be fed back into a TiVo. Hope so, that would be really nice.

Would love to have disc carousels like Riley has shown but need Windows support and schematcis for the S-Link mechanism. Have asked him for details but he's not explained in depth.

Microsoft provides a free standard Visual Basic net here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/atthemovies/

Should be possible to have a PC as part of an entertainment center which would handle interactions with a remote server as well as controlling the A/V components for playback.

Imagine something which looks similar to this but also does ROMs for game emulators, MP3s, etc.: http://www.nikse.dk/mmc/

This is nice for recompression: http://www-win.compression.graphicon.ru/video/deblocking/index_en.html I've been chatting with the sysop and there should be an AviSynth version sometime in the future. It's not a big task given how the filter is written. VirtualDub and derivatives are a horrible option for re-encoding/processing video. They work in RGB colorspace which is has no 1:1 relationship with video. Any conversion loses a lot of the color information.

Realized the other day it should be possible to do this type of filtering on FAE cuts inside TyTool. Depends on Josh being interested and he and I getting some testing started.

Full mirror of the attached list of sites is available for anyone who PMs me for my address and provides 2 blandk DVDRs and a pre-paid, pre-addressed return mailer. The companion project for remote control (IR, S-Link, etc.) will be updated soon. The A/V links project at http://neuron2.net will be updated this week with about 170 additions/updates. A mirror of that is available only under special circumstances. It's about 45G and takes a full day to copy the files.

osetivo
05-20-2004, 10:26 AM
Continuing the general discussion here, as there are many threads discussing various pieces of the puzzle. mfs_ftp (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21915), TyShow (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27399), EtiVo (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34314), Internet Streaming (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=166445#post166445) and others.

I am not necessarily looking to replace the functions of TiVo with PC software or direct internet streaming from the TiVo. Of course it would be nice.

Best solution (for me) is something like this.

Have a utility to automatically download (via mfs_ftp) TY files with a 3 Thumbs UP rating to a local file server . The TYs would be placed in specific folders based upon file properties. Like Episode/Title. This would be in addition to being able to manually select files for downloading like in EtiVo)

A Home Theater Media frontend such as myHTPC/Meedio (http://myhtpc.net), Media Portal, etc. would regularly scan and catalog your local media files (or read the TY's xml data) to generate the necessary file data, title, episode, air date, rating in a format that would be served to a web page. (IIRC, myHTPC, stores this data in xml files, Meedio stores it in a sql database.) The frontend could also do a live scan of the Tivo's Now showing list via mfs_ftp.

The web page would use a similar interface as the media frontend, so that you would navigate through a familiar menu.

Live TV (Capture Card)
>Living Room PC
>Game Room PC

TiVo (a live scan of the TiVo would populate this menu's items)
>Bedroom TiVo
>>Coupling-Episode name 1
>>Coupling-Episode name 2
>Living Room TiVo

Title (local file server)
>Coupling-Episode name 3
>Coupling-Episode name 4

Genre
>Home Movies
>TV
>>Coupling
>>>Coupling-Episode name 1
>>>CouplingEpisode name 2
>>Deadwood
>>Seinfeld
>>Sopranos

Rating
>PG
>R

*Actually it would be best to "mesh" the files on the Tivo and local media files for transparency.

Selecting a file would offer 3 choices "High" "Medium" "Low"

High would stream the regular media without Windows Media Encoder (WME) encoding over a LAN. "Medium" would use WME to stream to a Pocket PC over a 802.11b connection, and "Low" could use WME to stream the media over the internet.

Selecting "High" for any of the TiVo files would stream using "ASX". If required, "Medium" and "Low" would download the TYs to the file server and then start streaming as soon as technically possible.

Controlling WME would be a big plus. (start, pause, forward, reverse)

I may be in the minority, but I gave up a long time ago trying to have TiVo be the all-in-one Media Center. (Heresy :)) Not enough power or storage. So, TiVo has (for me) essentially been relegated to being a capture card, with hundreds of GB of TYs stored on my file server, along with all of my other media files , photos, music, videos (home and other)

Admittedly, a web interface to control internet streaming is a very specific and limited part of the whole Media Center concept, but very cool and useful, IMO.

Last piece of my Media Center puzzle that I haven't tried yet is pulling video from the file server back into the TiVo using the Tivo interface and remote control.

So ya'll get started. :D

wkozun
05-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Admittedly, a web interface to control internet streaming is a very specific and limited part of the whole Media Center concept, but very cool and useful, IMO.
:D

A lot of this stuff is already available with BeyondTV - that is why I suggested it. It will automatically re-encode files to WMV or DiVx after the are recorded. It has the streaming over a web interface built in plus it's main tool for controlling the app is a web interface. It would be very easy to control everything from the other side of the world assuming that you had enough bandwidth.

FredThompson
05-20-2004, 04:00 PM
A lot of this stuff is already available with BeyondTV - that is why I suggested it. It will automatically re-encode files to WMV or DiVx after the are recorded.That will degrade quality and chew up time. Storage is quite cheap now with hard drives typically $0.50 USD/G and DVDR about $0.50 each. You'll have far higher quality if you stream the interlaced MPEG2 instead of changing its format. If bandwidth is a problem, use something like DVDShrink or ReJig to reduce it a little without re-encoding.