PDA

View Full Version : mfs_ftp keeps quitting

rfc
05-19-2004, 08:53 PM
mfs_ftp running; connect with two different ftp clients. Still troubleshooting aborted transfers immediately upon connection (I'm searching on this part of the problem), but then if I try again, I can not connect.

I go back to telnet, restart mfs_ftp, back to ftp client and it connects again.

It seems like as soon as I do anything once with it, it stops running.

Have searced but can not find anything on this. :confused:

tweaky
05-19-2004, 09:02 PM
If you are using version Q, that is your problem. Downgrade to version P from the mfs_Ftp thread. Riley put a time limit on Q to stop the sleazes from selling his app.

cojonesdetoro
05-19-2004, 10:18 PM
have you looked at the logs? usually in /var/mfs_ftp/port3105.log

Pendragn
05-19-2004, 10:37 PM
If you are using version Q, that is your problem. Downgrade to version P from the mfs_Ftp thread. Riley put a time limit on Q to stop the sleazes from selling his app.
Serious question, how does this keep people from selling his software? Can't they still sell P?

tk

rfc
05-20-2004, 08:23 AM

How do you tell what version you are running?

Pendragn
05-20-2004, 09:12 AM
How do you tell what version you are running?
When you connect with a client, the banner tells you which version you are running. When I connect to one of my TiVos, I get this:

connecting to 192.168.100.10:3105
Connected to 192.168.100.10 port 3105
[212] from 192.168.100.65 port 3999
220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p - {sock22} from "192.168.100.65:3999"

Emphasis mine on the "p."

tk

sanderton
05-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Serious question, how does this keep people from selling his software? Can't they still sell P?

tk

Was nothing to do with that. It was an attempt to make support easier by making sure everyone was on the latest version.

Pendragn
05-20-2004, 10:36 AM
Was nothing to do with that. It was an attempt to make support easier by making sure everyone was on the latest version.
Okay, that makes a lot more sense. I'm not sure I like the idea of forced upgrades, but it's his program.

Thanks,

tk

rc3105
05-20-2004, 08:59 PM
most of the q&a in the thread relates to p, so it's still available

q had it's own quirks, as r probably will (most notably many of the front-end utils/patches rely on p, some break with every update) the idea is to try and avoid supporting p, q, r, s... all at the same time

once ALL the quirks/features are ironed out (second tuesday of never probably) old versions will be withdrawn & the threads re-organized to best support the final release

rfc
05-21-2004, 05:53 AM
OK. It's q. I'll try p. Do I remove the entire directory (rm /mfs_ftpJ) before reinstalling the p version (which I haven't found yet, but am still looking)?

rc3105
05-21-2004, 11:51 AM
best way is

mv /var/mfs_ftp /var/mfs_ftpl_q

then install p from scratch

Pendragn
05-21-2004, 02:25 PM
OK. It's q. I'll try p. Do I remove the entire directory (rm /mfs_ftpJ) before reinstalling the p version (which I haven't found yet, but am still looking)?
Check the second sticky from the top of this forum.

To reinstall I would follow RC's advice. If you want to live on the edge, simply replace the files in the download with the ones in your mfs_ftp directory. You'll want to delete all the files in your cache directory too. That'll save you some headaches. If you have an S2 box, make sure you have (or keep) the S2 versions of the binaries.

tk

rfc
05-21-2004, 07:42 PM
Back up and running. Doesn't quit either! Now Tystudios "failed to load ty file", but that's the subject of another two hours of reading and perhaps another thread.

Thanks again. :)

Pendragn
05-21-2004, 08:19 PM
Glad to hear it's working. MFS_FTP is a tremendous tool. Riley has done us a great service by writing this.

Can't help with the TyStudio problem. I'm a TyTool man myself.

tk

rfc
05-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Glad to hear it's working. MFS_FTP is a tremendous tool. Riley has done us a great service by writing this.

Can't help with the TyStudio problem. I'm a TyTool man myself.

tk

I'm an agnostic newbie when it comes to this stuff, but I chose tystudio because I read the entire tytool thread and couldn't find a readme that even shows how to install and use the thing, lol.

I've got a total elapsed time of about 3 minutes 20 seconds of experience with tystudio. Should I try again with tytools?

rc3105
05-21-2004, 10:30 PM
depends on what you want to do

tytool is a further along in some features - the tystudio source is available if you want to add your own

eastwind
05-21-2004, 10:31 PM
I'm an agnostic newbie when it comes to this stuff, but I chose tystudio because I read the entire tytool thread and couldn't find a readme that even shows how to install and use the thing, lol.

I've got a total elapsed time of about 3 minutes 20 seconds of experience with tystudio. Should I try again with tytools?
Yes, try it again.
To install....D/L the file and unzip it on your Windows PC. Start the TyTool exe file and click on Help....Tytool FAQ...You will find explanations of how to install the TiVo side files and make the connection. Note: The first time you start TyTool the .INI file will have the settings from the authors computer. You need to change the address for your TiVo, Local Dir and working directory to reflect your own system. Once you exit normally these settings will 'stick' (be save in the .INI file).
ew

Pendragn
05-22-2004, 02:04 AM

TyTool vs. TyStudio is almost a religious discussion in some parts of this forum. Myself, I've never used or seen TyStudio, so I can't comment on it. I've been using TyTool for six to nine months and I'm very happy with it. My goal is to get MPGs of recordings on my TiVo, or to archive recordings to DVD. That's the two things TyTool does well. If you fire up TyTool and have some questions, read through the sticky at the top, or open up another thread. I'll pitch it where I can.

tk

Waruwaru
05-22-2004, 03:06 AM

Try this link (http://themurrays.homeip.net/downloads/tivo/extraction_articles/tivo_dvd.html)

rfc
05-22-2004, 06:16 AM
depends on what you want to do.
the tystudio source is available if you want to add your own

That's a scary thought! I don't think so. I always feel like I am on the edge of making my Tivo a boat anchor at any moment. I am however very impressed with the work of you and some others here. Just seeing it work is a marvelous mystery to me.

I just want to extract and try to make dvds, and have fun learning along the way. (Oh, and if my Tivo still has some basic functionality at the end...well, that'd be nice too, lol). Thanks again.
:)