PDA

View Full Version : Research done, now have a few questions on DTivo to DVD

spaceman1013
05-20-2004, 10:40 PM
A few questions now that I have done my homework and am getting ready to burn all my DTivo ty files to DVD. Please, Correct any of my statements if they are wrong.

1)
FAE Editing Question:
jdliner mentions in FAQ - "FAE...With the cost being a longer editing process and the re-encoding with the loss in quality and extra time needed for that."

How many of you still use FAE even though it does a reencode? How long does this reencode take for an hour show and is the quality loss noticable?

2)
I know many use Ulead and DVD-Lab to create the DVD. However, I think DVD-Lab is out of the question since I want to take several episodes and I believe the 1.3.1 version with the relaxed muxer does not do multi-VTS, so no episodic DVDs. PLEASE, Correct me if I am wrong.

To use Ulead I need to use the DVDpatcher and multiplexed MPG file with Audio Holes patched. And use TyTool9r8 since later versions can cause some problems with DVD-Lab 1.3.1 or Ulead.

Has anyone tried using MyDVD 5 or the newer versions of Ulead products like MovieFactory 3.0 by using DVDPatcher to trick them?

A few things I have narrowed down:
- My DVD Player supports Tivo files 480x480
- I want to put several DTivo Episodes onto a single DVD with a menu
- want to avoid audio-sync issues and keep best quality

But I am confused as to what is the best way to proceed.
- It seems like using Ulead is probably most creative.
- Avoid FAE for best quality
- In Ulead, should avoid any audio-sync problems if I use multiplexed MPG file, audio holes option from TyTool

My other option if I don't want to get too fancy with the menus, is to just use the newest TyTool with DVD creation option.

Any tips on Ulead would be much appreciated.

bato
05-21-2004, 01:24 AM
1) FAE breaks the GOP to use only the frames you want, so it reencodes only the frames in that GOP. Say your GOP is 60 frames (about 2 seconds) and you only need 30 frames, with FAE you reencode only those 30 frames, so in 1 hour with FAE you maybe reencode between 50-300 frames. The transition between FAE - FAE and GOP - GOP is way better with FAE because sometime with GOPs you get non black frames with open GOPs so you get many big blocks in your video with your cut.

2) episodic DVDs, if you mean put 5 or more shows in same DVD with a menu to go to each one and return OR go to each one and continue to the next, DVDlab 1.3.1 can do that (I said OR). You can check a guide from user maa to create a "play all" option with DVDlab 1.3.1 if you want, that way you can call each show and return to menu and keep an option to play everything. Here (http://dvdlab.net/maa_guides/PlayAll/PlayAll.html) is the guide. The limit is that all your shows must have same resolution and audio. Sorry, I don't use Ulead's tools anymore.

spaceman1013
05-21-2004, 09:25 AM
Thanks bato for the info. It sounds like FAE is not going to really effect quality of video and should be very quick to reencode since it only does the GOPS you break at cut points.

I will give DVD-Lab a look and try setting up a menu for my episodes. I assume from what I read that the best way to import these into DVD-Lab is as Multiplexed MPG stream and then use the alternative muxer.

Homer S
05-21-2004, 10:14 AM
Two other things I do for my DVD's from DTivo via DVDLab...

1 - rewrite GOP timecode once imported, helps with getting the chapter points right (I like to put in chapters at the removed commercial breaks)

2 - transcode audio from mp2 to dolby AC3 (NTSC standard in case a future DVD player I buy is picky)

The only issue remaining is that it is 480x480 (SVCD standard but not DVD standard) v. 720x480 (DVD Standard). If I ever buy a DVD player that is picky, I might be stuck.

Later,
Homer Out

malfunct
05-21-2004, 10:44 AM
Two other things I do for my DVD's from DTivo via DVDLab...

1 - rewrite GOP timecode once imported, helps with getting the chapter points right (I like to put in chapters at the removed commercial breaks)

2 - transcode audio from mp2 to dolby AC3 (NTSC standard in case a future DVD player I buy is picky)

The only issue remaining is that it is 480x480 (SVCD standard but not DVD standard) v. 720x480 (DVD Standard). If I ever buy a DVD player that is picky, I might be stuck.

Later,
Homer Out

I guess one bright point for you is that dvd players keep tending to get less picky instead of more.

spaceman1013
05-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the tips. A few questions.

You mention - "I like to put in chapters at the removed commercial breaks."
I was looking at the chapter points in TyTool and it has a feature to put them every 5 minutes if you want. Will this still work if you cut out commercials? I thought I read somewhere that if you cut you can only use the option to do chapter points at cuts. Also, How do you import into DVD-Lab without it losing the chapter points?

How do you transcode audio from mp2 to dolby AC3 in DVD-Lab? Do you use BeSweet or the TMPEnc Plug-In? I am wondering if doing this may open me up for audio sync issues.

malfunct
05-21-2004, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the tips. A few questions.

You mention - "I like to put in chapters at the removed commercial breaks."
I was looking at the chapter points in TyTool and it has a feature to put them every 5 minutes if you want. Will this still work if you cut out commercials? I thought I read somewhere that if you cut you can only use the option to do chapter points at cuts. Also, How do you import into DVD-Lab without it losing the chapter points?

How do you transcode audio from mp2 to dolby AC3 in DVD-Lab? Do you use BeSweet or the TMPEnc Plug-In? I am wondering if doing this may open me up for audio sync issues.

Last time I verified it (version 8r3 I think actually) the chapters every 5 minutes worked regardless of commercial cuts or not because it was passes as parameters to DVDAuthor. 9r14 has the same support as best I can tell.

You can't (easily) import chapter points from tytool to dvd-lab. It requires massive modification to the chapter fill to put it into a dvd-lab chapter format to be imported.

Use tytool to transcode from mp2 to AC3. There is an audio option that transcodes all mp2 -> AC3 and leaves the AC3 native that will fix your issue. The transcoding will happen during the vob-mux stage.

A final note, though it tends to work well in many cases, there are a number of cases where the output from tytool will not import into dvd-lab (causes an error or maybe a crash, I don't remember), and there are other cases where the import succeeds but the resulting dvd has the audio out of sync. This is mostly in cases where you extracted from a DTivo stream. There are threads covering ways to avoid this but I thought I'd warn you.

The best option (other than the menus are somewhat basic though there are threads on how to spice them up) is to use the DVD creation that is built into tytool to create your dvd set and then use a standard dvd-burning software (nero burning rom works well as does roxio's easy cd creator) to put that dvd set onto a dvd for playback.

blahfern
05-24-2004, 11:40 PM
Seemed like the right place to ask. I was wondering if anyone else has had any problems with the fast forward or rewind on DVD's burned from a DTiVo(HDVR2, using TyTool9r14, cut commercials and muxed to VOB, then went straight to DVD lab with no demuxing(AC3 pull down)). The DVD's play fine on one of three DVD players, and the pause works. Don't get me wrong...I'm happy as @#$% since I got my burner, and able to watch them on DVD. Just curious if anyone had any advice, suggestions, or recommended reading.
Thanks,
Christopher

Waruwaru
05-25-2004, 01:57 AM
Check out this thread (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25261&highlight=dvdlab)... You can fix the timecode to be perfect, but the process is a bit slow...

bato
05-25-2004, 09:45 AM
DVDlab PRO beta multiplexer is not Dtivo friendly, sometimes it can't even compile an imported VOB. DVDlab PRO looks good but Oscar need to make a better multiplexer so we can test some of the features with our files. I'll like to test:
- branching
- playlist
- import VTS (so you can create your DVD structure with TyTool with chapters and import that in DVDlab and keep the chapters without problems)

I'll make more tests, and upload more files to Oscar's site so he can try to make the multiplexer better.

tbellomo
07-01-2004, 12:42 AM
Hi all.

I can compile and burn using DVDLab, and everything seems ok at first. The menus look great and navigation between them is awesome. The problem comes with the chapter points.

My current process:
-Extract TyStream with TyTools
-Cut commercials with TyTools
-"New" VOB-Mux with TyTools
-Import to DVDLab
-Fix GOP Timecode with DVDLab
-Remove asset, and then reimport it (someone suggested that after GOP fix)
-Build and link menus.
-Compile with Alternative, and Burn Baby Burn

The show will play if I just choose the first chapter and don't do anything else, with no problems. BUT... all of the chapters just link back to movie start (even though I told them to link elsewhere) AND if I hit chapter skip, the number on my DVD changes to the next chapter, but it starts the movie over again. I also can't FF, or the DVD player errs out "Disc is dirty"...

I'm hoping I'm just missing a step -- I've tried on two DVD players, WinDVD and PowerDVD... all the same. But they'll all play a TyTools created DVD with no problems (chapters, ff, etc. will all work).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Timo