PDA

View Full Version : Internet Radio Streaming on TiVo?

ygeller
05-21-2004, 03:01 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to stream an internet radio station through my networked Tivo to my stereo system, so I can listen to international radio channels.
I did manage to get my Series1 TiVo to play mp3 files (using madplay) that are shared on my PC, problem is that the radio streams are ASF. I can't find a tool that either does realtime caching and convertion of the ASF stream to MP3, or, what would be much better - an ASF player for the TiVo.

Any ideas?
YG :confused:

cojonesdetoro
05-21-2004, 03:14 PM
You might get MP3 working through a FIFO but ASF?.. that would take a bit of work, I think. There are mp3 recorders that just creat MP3 directly from the sound card output. I'm sure some exist that will create an MP3 stream.

ygeller
06-04-2004, 10:50 AM
OK - I want to play a live stream to the tivo. Maybe have a cache lag of a few secs, but I don't want to play pre recorded stuff. I can't seeme to find a command line app that will play asf files.... :(

AlphaWolf
06-04-2004, 01:23 PM
The most ideal solutoin would be to set up some sort of custom PC side daemon that would stream the audio from the remote source, and convert it from the source format into mpeg audio in real time, and then stream that from a tivo side client that pipes it directly to /dev/mpeg0a.

malfunct
06-04-2004, 02:31 PM
The most ideal solutoin would be to set up some sort of custom PC side daemon that would stream the audio from the remote source, and convert it from the source format into mpeg audio in real time, and then stream that from a tivo side client that pipes it directly to /dev/mpeg0a.

Do you need to have tivoapp shut down in order to stream to /dev/mpag0a? I forgot the issues surrounding that whole bit.

stryugy
06-04-2004, 07:22 PM
There's a device called the Gateway Connected DVD player (also known as the GoVideo connected DVD) that does exactly this.

Nothing I know of for the Tivo though.

Information on the Gateway Device can be read at http://www.media-servers.com

cojonesdetoro
06-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Here's somehting that's crazy enough to work. Use cwingert's ohm to stream an MP3 file. Make this file be on an NFS mounted partition. Make the file be a FIFO and get some software that will take an mp3 stream and write it to the fifo (that last part may get a little complicated :-/ )

erhan
06-05-2004, 11:55 AM
Or use JavaHMO

alldeadhomiez
06-05-2004, 12:23 PM
Here's somehting that's crazy enough to work. Use cwingert's ohm to stream an MP3 file. Make this file be on an NFS mounted partition. Make the file be a FIFO and get some software that will take an mp3 stream and write it to the fifo (that last part may get a little complicated :-/ )

I don't believe NFS will "stream" data through a FIFO between hosts.

lart2150
06-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Or use JavaHMO
while that looks cool I don't think it will help him with his s1 tivo