PDA

View Full Version : Newby gets emtpy VIDEO_TS folder - Help

Steverino
05-29-2004, 02:00 PM
This is my first time using TyTools, so I must be doing something wrong. I am trying to create a DVD from a Philips Stand Alone TiVo. I'm using version 9r14. I get the show, I edit out the commercials and I click on VOB-MUX and get a VOB file that I can play just fine in PowerDVD. So far, so good, I think.

My problem appears to start when I try to "Create INF files/Dirs". The vob file shows up and when I select it, it shows it's 2.42GB. I click Process, go to the Menu screen and do my title, VOB link and and everything looks fine, but if I click on VOB size Report it says: "there are 0 meg in the 0 vob files currently selected"!

When I click on Make IFO, I get this message: "There is an unused VOB!". The process then completes very quickly(2 seconds) and says DVD completed Sucessfully". But, the VIDEO_TS folder is empty! I've repeated the process several times but these results are the same. It appears the VOB file does not get associated with the title.

I also tried this process with version 8r4, but I started with the "Create INF files/Dirs" and I had the exact same problem. Help - What am I doing wrong?

Steve Smith :confused:

eastwind
05-29-2004, 02:36 PM
This is my first time using TyTools, so I must be doing something wrong. I am trying to create a DVD from a Philips Stand Alone TiVo. I'm using version 9r14. I get the show, I edit out the commercials and I click on VOB-MUX and get a VOB file that I can play just fine in PowerDVD. So far, so good, I think.

My problem appears to start when I try to "Create INF files/Dirs". The vob file shows up and when I select it, it shows it's 2.42GB. I click Process, go to the Menu screen and do my title, VOB link and and everything looks fine, but if I click on VOB size Report it says: "there are 0 meg in the 0 vob files currently selected"!

When I click on Make IFO, I get this message: "There is an unused VOB!". The process then completes very quickly(2 seconds) and says DVD completed Sucessfully". But, the VIDEO_TS folder is empty! I've repeated the process several times but these results are the same. It appears the VOB file does not get associated with the title.

I also tried this process with version 8r4, but I started with the "Create INF files/Dirs" and I had the exact same problem. Help - What am I doing wrong?

Steve Smith :confused:The answer is in this document: TyTool8-Dvd and Menu.doc. It is found in the installation directory (TyTool9r14 or Tytool or TyTool8r4). Basically you didn't assign a VOB to the Menu Element, so nothing got processed. The error message warned you about it (you didn't use the VOB) to give you a clue. More reading is necessary - release notes, FAQ, and this forum when brought all together will round out your education and give you a complete understanding of everything.

ew

Steverino
05-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Basically you didn't assign a VOB to the Menu Element, so nothing got processed.

Thanks for your reply. I just tool another look at the TyTool Dvd and Menu.doc. I'm following those instructions and I believe I'm asigning the Menu Element. My screen looks very much like this: http://themurrays.homeip.net/downloads/tivo/extraction_articles/dvd/53.jpg
I have just one VOB file with its complete path listed in the upper left pane. This file and its complete path are also in the VOB link under the Element Title. Is there something else that needs to be done to assign the VOB to the Element Menu?

Perhaps I'm overlooking a minor detail that is burried somewhere in all the reading, but I would really apprecaite it if you would eleborate on the answer.

Thanks,
Steve Smith

captain_video
05-29-2004, 04:28 PM
Did you click on the Set Item button after assigning the menu element? If not then it never stuck, resulting in an empty VIDEO_TS folder. When you set the item the name of the menu element will change from Menu Element 0 to whatever name you typed into the Element Title block followed by a dash and the full path for the VOB Link. If the menu element is still showing Menu Element 0 when select Make IFO then you won't process anything.

eastwind
05-29-2004, 04:29 PM
Sounds like you're skipping step 5:

5- Either hit return or hit the Set Item button. This will save the changes you made. The 2 listboxes at the top of the display will now change. The vob file will now show as used, and the menu element will have a title "show #1" and will indicate that it is linked to the vob file.

Does that sound about right? That's my best guess.
What about the Preview Step? Does it show what you expect?

ew

P.S. If you're trying it by hitting return, try the Set Item Button instead.

Steverino
05-29-2004, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=eastwind]Sounds like you're skipping step 5:
5- Either hit return or hit the Set Item button.

That's it! I knew it had to be something simple. I wasn't using the set button properly. I used the Set button but I got confused when the title blanked out, so I re-entered the title information each time. I guess that undid the set button's action and I didn't click on the Set button again and that was the cause of the problem. The preview had always worked fine, I just couldn't figure out why TyTools wasn't associating the VOB file. Such a simple mistake, but now I know.

Thanks for the help. :)

Steve Smith