PDA

View Full Version : DVD has no sound in player, but works fine in computer

Steverino
05-29-2004, 07:37 PM
I've just created my first DVD using TyTools. The resulting files play just fine in PowerDVD and so does the DVD. However, when I play the DVD in my Panasonic DVD player, I get no audio. The video looks great but there is no sound. When I play the DVD in my computer with PowerDVD, I get both sound and video just fine. What could be causing this? Is there something I could have done differently to avoid this problem. BTW-I've had no problem playing DVDs of movies I burned using the same equipment. More information follows:

I was unable to get Nero 6 to work. It would get to the end and fail with an unable to finalize disc error. I tried Pinicle Instant Copy and it appeared to work just fine. I have a Phillips stand alone Series one TiVo, a Pioneer DVR-106 burner and a Panasonic RV30 DVD player. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve Smith

Steverino
05-29-2004, 09:25 PM
I think I found the solution here: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=166299&postcount=4

I'll give it a try.

Steve Smith

Steverino
05-29-2004, 10:34 PM
"Before you Mux it, go to Options > Audio
Make sure "Patch Audio Holes" is check and change the other check from "None" to "#4 DVD - 48 @ 160"

Unfortunately, this didn't work. Is there another audio option that will work? Could this problem be caused by the fact that I have an older DVD player that isn't compatible with TyTools?

If I press the audio button on my DVD player, it shows "MPEG". A regular movie DVD shows "Digital". I guess my player won't play MPEG audio. I wonder why my changing the Audio option a DVD standard didn't work. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get audio to play on my DVD player?

Thanks,
Steve Smith

bato
05-30-2004, 10:52 AM
I think you can go to your player's setup then to audio options and change some values there to make it work.

If you don't want to change that, then use option #7 in Options - Audio in TyTool9r14 to convert the audio from mpeg to AC3, this way you will end with the same audio type that you get with commercial dvds and should display digital in your player.

Warpig
05-31-2004, 10:02 AM
I had a similar problem with my Sony DVD player. I knew for a fact that my Sony DVD player Decodes Dolby so I went into tyTool and set the audio to
#7 - Dolby - 48 @ 384. Then I re extracted my Ty streams to reflect the audio change and VOB MUX'ed and created IFO's as usual... Off to DVD we went and all was fine. I had to play with audio options to get a good result. The disc I burned that didn't have sound in my DVD player worked ok in a friends. I also tried a few other audio options and some worked on my player but not my friends. Dolby was the only one that worked on both players.

Nick

Steverino
05-31-2004, 10:07 AM
I think you can go to your player's setup then to audio options and change some values there to make it work.

If you don't want to change that, then use option #7 in Options - Audio in TyTool9r14 to convert the audio from mpeg to AC3, this way you will end with the same audio type that you get with commercial dvds and should display digital in your player.

Thanks for the help. I didn't see any audio option in my player that worked, but option # 7 in TyTool9r14 worked just fine. My DVD player now plays the audio just fine.

I tried the DVDs I made before in a newer DVD player and they played sound just fine. So, I guess it was a compatibility issue. I'd like for my DVDs to be compatible with most, if not all DVD players. It seems that option #7 would be the best choice for compatibility. Is this correct? What the downside? I mean, why not always use option #7. Perhaps is uses more space?

Thanks again for the help.

Steve Smith

eastwind
05-31-2004, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the help. I didn't see any audio option in my player that worked, but option # 7 in TyTool9r14 worked just fine. My DVD player now plays the audio just fine.

I tried the DVDs I made before in a newer DVD player and they played sound just fine. So, I guess it was a compatibility issue. I'd like for my DVDs to be compatible with most, if not all DVD players. It seems that option #7 would be the best choice for compatibility. Is this correct? What the downside? I mean, why not always use option #7. Perhaps is uses more space?

Thanks again for the help.

Steve Smith
Yes, the downside is that it uses more space. Also on the downside--you are re-encoding the data an adding information that isn't there (start with 192kbps and end with 384kpbs). Any time you transcode you will wind up with something less than what you started with because you have to decode from one format and encode into another. Most DVD players cannot handle the audio output from a Series 1 SA because of the format used, so it will have to be transcoded no matter if you're looking for playablity. Most newer players will be able to handle an MPEG - Layer II stream even though it is non-standard, but some of the new ones and a lot of the old ones will choke on it or require you to set something on the DVD player. Option 7 will get you a lot of compatibility.

ew

crazyrat
06-01-2004, 03:14 PM
I'm assuming (but please correct me if I'm wrong) that you all are talking about Standalone Tivo's only. I was under the assumption that in order to extract for DirectTivo Series 2's that you did no Transcoding for the best compatibility.

bato
06-01-2004, 03:40 PM
crazyrat, we are talking about the audio. Some DVD players want the audio in AC3 and not mpa (m2a). I don't know any player that can handle 480x480 (dtivo) resolution that can't handle the audio without changes.

eastwind
06-01-2004, 10:58 PM
I'm assuming (but please correct me if I'm wrong) that you all are talking about Standalone Tivo's only. I was under the assumption that in order to extract for DirectTivo Series 2's that you did no Transcoding for the best compatibility.
Yes, that why I said "Most DVD players cannot handle the audio output from a Series 1 SA." SA = StandAlone.
ew