PDA

View Full Version : Phillips sa series 1 from cable to directv

riccony
05-30-2004, 02:08 PM
I'm about to switch from cable to directv. So I will have both a directv and a tivo reciever. I understand that I can just change the provider in the wizzard, but what other problems should I be on the lookout for?

Also I use tytools to extract and burn programs to dvd. Any difficulty here?

Tnx

ric

captain_video
05-30-2004, 05:36 PM
There should not be any problems with the switchover. Just rerun guided setup and specify that you have a DTV receiver on your S-video inputs. If you're using an antenna or cable to supplement your locals then specify that as well on the coax input. Otherwise indicate no connection for that input. Decide whether you plan on using the serial connection or the IR blaster to control your DTV receiver and select the corresponding codes to control it, as required. Video extraction will be the same as before.

Since you're making the switch to DTV you may want to consider getting a DTivo instead of your SA model. They're dirt cheap and cost less per month to own and operate plus they have dual tuners Plus the picture quality is better than a SA Tivo can record PLUS it records Dolby Digital audio. Video extraction with a DTivo will yield DVDs that look exactly as good as the original DTV feed and will also retain the DD soundtrack. There's a caveat with this - S2 DTivos don't always allow extraction of DD audio without problems; S1 DTivos work fine with DD audio but require a more expensive Turbonet for extraction. If your SA Tivo is a S1 model and you already have a Turbonet then you can use it with a S1 DTivo.

About six weeks ago the S1 DTivos were selling for over $300 on ebay. I just picked up a Sony SAT-T60 for only $72.00 with remote and (possibly unused) P4 card. It was listed as being damaged but it booted right up and shows a recording capacity of 69 hours! Other working S1 DTivos typically sell for under $100 which is less than what a new S2 model sells for.

Waruwaru
05-30-2004, 09:00 PM
Another vote for DTivo. It is a life changing experience. ;) There are deals now where you can get DTivo for $50 if you are a new subscriber.

alanjudy
06-01-2004, 05:11 PM
When I first got my SA Series 1, there was no such thing as a DTivo and I have the SA working with a DirectTV receiver.

Suggestion #1... Go with a DirectTV receiver that can be driven by the serial connection and doesn't require the IR blaster... This is key.

The SA works fine, but to be honest I actually picked up a Series 1 DTivo in addition. The DTivo is MUCH better.

Suggestion #2... Get a series 1 DTivo on Ebay, series 2 if you can't find series 1, but monte takes more investment in understanding :-)

And lastly

Suggestion #3... Get both.. Keep the SA and get a Series 1 DTivo... This way you can use MFTP to transfer files from one DTivo to the other... I don't know about if there are any interoperability problems between Series 1 and Series 2, but if you stick exclusively on Series 1, there are no interoperability problems between SA and DTivo.

=alanjudy