PDA

View Full Version : Which gives better quality - TiVo's compression or IC's Compression?

Steverino
05-31-2004, 04:25 PM
I'm new to TyTools and I'd like to start archiving some of my programs. I'd like to fit as many programs on one DVD as possible while still keeping decent(not great) quality. After processing with TyTools, I use Pinnacle Instant Copy(IC) to shrink and burn to DVD. I had trouble with Nero and IC works great and it has the added benefit of compressing the programs so they can fit on one DVD if necessary. Here's my question:

Will I end up with better quality if I set my TiVo to "Best Quality", process with TyTools and then use Instant Copy to compress the programs so they will all fit on one DVD? Or, would I get better quality if I set my TiVo to "Medium Quality" and then Instant Copy wouldn't have to do as much compression? Has anyone experimented to find out what yields the best result?

Steve Smith

compwiz312
05-31-2004, 09:03 PM
I'm new to TyTools and I'd like to start archiving some of my programs. I'd like to fit as many programs on one DVD as possible while still keeping decent(not great) quality. After processing with TyTools, I use Pinnacle Instant Copy(IC) to shrink and burn to DVD. I had trouble with Nero and IC works great and it has the added benefit of compressing the programs so they can fit on one DVD if necessary. Here's my question:

Will I end up with better quality if I set my TiVo to "Best Quality", process with TyTools and then use Instant Copy to compress the programs so they will all fit on one DVD? Or, would I get better quality if I set my TiVo to "Medium Quality" and then Instant Copy wouldn't have to do as much compression? Has anyone experimented to find out what yields the best result?

Steve Smith

I haven't tried it, but I would think Instant Copy would give much better results (I personally use DVD Shrink).

malfunct
05-31-2004, 10:36 PM

Steve Smith

Its hard to say, my advice is record the same show at the same time in medium and best quality, then go through the process you use to put it on dvd, and check the results. Use the one you like best and report back to us. My thoughts on the whole thing is that the one recorded at best quality would be higher resolution but suffer from more artifacts because even though the iframes are higher quality, there is much less information between the frames for proper function. The medium would have less info in the iframe but would have more interim info. If you have mostly static scenes the high resolution iframes would give more quality than the interim encoding, but in action scenes I'd rather have my bitrate going to the interim encoding so it doesn't pixelate.

Finally what is your target viewing platform? Is it a fancy HDTV or is it a bog normal TV? If its the normal TV then medium is most certainly the best because its closer to the final viewing resolution and you won't waste bitrate on iframes that are getting scaled anyways and instead spend that bitrate encoding the motion between frames which you will notice.

TheWickedPriest
06-09-2004, 07:34 PM
Will I end up with better quality if I set my TiVo to "Best Quality", process with TyTools and then use Instant Copy to compress the programs so they will all fit on one DVD? Or, would I get better quality if I set my TiVo to "Medium Quality" and then Instant Copy wouldn't have to do as much compression?
Both will look like shit, because of the double lossy compression. What you're doing basically defeats the entire purpose of extraction. But the "Best" source will look better, because Instant Copy does just as much compression either way.

BTW, I use requant when I need to shrink programs to fit on a disc. It's much faster than full reencoding, and generally less destructive to the image quality.

sanderton
06-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Or edit the TiVo bitrates so no re-encoding is needed.

Actually, I've done several disks with DVD Shrink and the degradation is not too bad - but then the TiVo recoding is already a double decode-encode from the MPEG broadcast so what does a third matter!