PDA

View Full Version : Problem using mfs tools?

dave99
06-08-2004, 10:57 AM
I wanted to try grabbing some shows off my tivo with the hard discs in my PC, but decided to try on my original backup disc first (I know, probably not the best idea!). I originally had a 2 disc tivo (UK tivo, 30GB+15GB) so grabbed the 30GB disc out of the loft and tried it with a knoppix 3.4 CD. All the mfs tools seem to say something like "found 2 MFS partitions" and "could not map sector...". Do I need to have both drives in my PC and mounted to be able to do anything? Just asking before I get the ladders out again to get the 2nd drive or before ripping my 120GB out of the tivo and wrecking it :D (tivonet/airnet etc. not possible at the moment)

cheers

dave

eastwind
06-08-2004, 01:57 PM
I wanted to try grabbing some shows off my tivo with the hard discs in my PC, but decided to try on my original backup disc first (I know, probably not the best idea!). I originally had a 2 disc tivo (UK tivo, 30GB+15GB) so grabbed the 30GB disc out of the loft and tried it with a knoppix 3.4 CD. All the mfs tools seem to say something like "found 2 MFS partitions" and "could not map sector...". Do I need to have both drives in my PC and mounted to be able to do anything? Just asking before I get the ladders out again to get the 2nd drive or before ripping my 120GB out of the tivo and wrecking it :D (tivonet/airnet etc. not possible at the moment)

cheers

dave
IIRC, when you start with a 2-disk TiVo you will need them both to make a backup. Seems like the term used was married. The drives were married and you need to divorce them before you can use them separately. By what method are you planning on extracting the shows?

ew

dave99
06-08-2004, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I think I needed to put both drives in my PC when I made a backup (but it was like 18 months ago when I upgraded the discs so I cant remember too well). I was planning to pull the 120GB from my tivo, put it in my PC and just use mfs_tmfstream to grab the shows I want I want to archive before returning the drive to my tivo. I figured it would take a bit of messing around to work out just how the process works so I was going to try it on my original drive first (so my tivo isnt out of action for too long) but it seems maybe I cant do this with them being from an original dual drive machine (and I dont really want to ruin the original drives by divorcing them). Might just have to take a leap of faith and pull the 120GB drive and play with that.

eastwind
06-08-2004, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I think I needed to put both drives in my PC when I made a backup (but it was like 18 months ago when I upgraded the discs so I cant remember too well). I was planning to pull the 120GB from my tivo, put it in my PC and just use mfs_tmfstream to grab the shows I want I want to archive before returning the drive to my tivo. I figured it would take a bit of messing around to work out just how the process works so I was going to try it on my original drive first (so my tivo isnt out of action for too long) but it seems maybe I cant do this with them being from an original dual drive machine (and I dont really want to ruin the original drives by divorcing them). Might just have to take a leap of faith and pull the 120GB drive and play with that.
Yeah, and if you don't want your TiVo out of action while you're extracting you might want to get an ethernet card for it (TiVoNet or CacheCard) from 9th Tee.

ew

dave99
06-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Well I gave in with the original drive and pulled my single 120GB drive to have a play with for 30 minutes. Finally managed to mfs_export 50Megs of a show and converted it to a vob using tytools :). I couldnt get mfs_tmfstream to work though, I used the same fsid as with mfs_export (is that right?) but it just kept saying invalid fsid or something like that.

eastwind
06-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Not sure. There are different kinds of FSIDs (from my understanding). One kind addresses segments of video/audio in the MFS. Another kind addresses a total recording. Might need that one for mfs_tmfstream.

ew