PDA

View Full Version : Coversion from SVCD to DVD format help please...

dasatelliteguy
06-10-2004, 05:24 PM
I have been recording, editing, and mutiplexing the original Star Trek series for a few months now using the SVCD mux output along with the audio output of SVCD 44.1 @ 192 in TyTool.

My question is... How can I convert these previously muxed 480x480 SVCD shows into the 720x480 DVD standards without re-encoding the entire lot of them?

From what I've read so far, I think I'm SOL but I'm not willing to give up until I know for sure. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Also, Is it a good idea to just mux the rest of my shows into VOB files so I can burn them onto a DVD sometime in the future?

Thanks again for any help you can give me.

FredThompson
06-10-2004, 05:42 PM
Your question is how can you change something without changing it. You already know the answer to that.

If you want to put SVCD format source onto a DVD, that's another issue. There is a header "trick" which is frequently used to handle the video aspect. The audio rates are different. Maybe your destination player will accept the SVCD audio rate just fine. Go to http://www.doom9.org or http://www.videohelp.com for help with this.

dasatelliteguy
06-10-2004, 05:49 PM
Touché Fred. I realized that - I just couldn't bring myself to say it out loud.

So, does this mean if my DVD player (Sony DVP-S7700) plays SVCD's it should handle the header "trick"? I think that's what I'm hearing.

Thanks again.

FredThompson
06-10-2004, 06:08 PM
Yes, your player should work but until you try it or someone with the exact same model and firmware can verify, you won't know for sure. Some disc burning programs will let you record a "mini" DVD onto a CDR so that might be a way to get some idea. I don't remember where I saw that but it is possible.

The header is used to fool the DVD player into thinking the material is full resolution but the MPEG2 decoder parts handles the 480 width just fine. The audio sample frequencies are different between SVCD and DVD. Hopefully, your player will play the SVCD rate and you won't have to transcode the audio.

captain_video
06-10-2004, 06:37 PM
Actually, the header "trick" is used to fool your authoring software into accepting the video file as DVD-compliant. You need to repatch the header back to its original resolution after compiling the fileset or it will confuse the heck out of your DVD player and won't play back properly. If anyone's still using SpruceUp then you need to repatch it after you import it but before you compile the fileset. If you use DVD-Lab there's no patching required as it accepts 480X480 resolution mpegs as is.