PDA

View Full Version : Switching resolution to 720x480 on a S2 SA (Tivo branded 240080) running 4.01b

mhartman
06-16-2004, 02:13 PM
I have Tivoweb'ed into my tivo, changed the settings to those found in other posts (pressing enter after each entry, pressing the Update Resources button after all entries are changed, and then rebooting).

Unfortunately, after I do all of this, eventhough the bitrates increase (i.e., medium reports as much recording time as best in settings screen), the resolution that I set to the "0" setting (0 supposedly equals 720x480) comes out at 352 x 480. I've read through the other threads on this topic (and done all of the Google searching I can think of), but I can't figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if my box just won't do 720x480.

Any help/insight is appreciated.

BTW, this was my first post. I've been lurking for a few weeks now.

Thanks,
Mike

lart2150
06-16-2004, 08:00 PM
I thought that 5 is 720x480.

mhartman
06-16-2004, 10:59 PM
It could be, but I've been reading that 0=720x480. I've also read not to enter a value higher than 4. Does anyone know the effect of entering 5 as a resolution?

Thanks,
Mike

eastwind
06-17-2004, 11:34 AM
One my SAS1, 0=720x480. S2s could be entirely different. Only way to know if you can't find the info is to try and see. If you report your findings, others might benefit from this information. I thought I'd read that the resource editor didn't work on S2s because the resources were in a different spot. That doesn't seem to be correct, as you have changed at least the bitrate. What was resolution 0 before you attempted to change it? Was it already 352x480 or was it something else?

ew

rung
06-17-2004, 12:17 PM
I had some initial trouble with the interface so I thought I share:

1) Make sure you press enter after entering each number
2) Make sure you hit the "update" resources button
3) Make sure you reboot when done

mhartman
06-17-2004, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the responses. I went back through with the resouces editor last night and pressed enter after each value, updated resources and then rebooted again. No change. After some further reading, I am starting to think that I am getting the lower resolution with the 0 entry because I have my Tivo set up with a satelite dish (it is a SA tivo, but I use DirecTV with it instead of Cable). I read last night that 0=720x480 for Cable and Antenna, but not for Satelite inputs.

So, in order to test this, I was going to change my input source to cable tv on the Tivo. Unfortunately, the TIVO hung when I was making the change (through Guided Setup) and then, upon reboot, would not get past the "Just a few more minutes" screen.

When I get the time, I am going to start over from the original image and try again. I am convinced that my resolution was 352x480 instead of 720x480 on the 0 setting because of the satelite source. Now I just have to find the time to start over and test my theory. Luckily I made a back up of the original drive a week ago.

BTW, the resource editor does work on the series 2. I use tivowebplus and I had to download the resources module for the 4.0 software to get it to work.

Thanks again for the responses,
Mike

mhartman
06-17-2004, 02:34 PM
What was resolution 0 before you attempted to change it? Was it already 352x480 or was it something else?

ew

I use the Medium setting, so it was set to 1 before I made the change. So, it was 352x480 before the change also.

Mike

eastwind
06-17-2004, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the responses. I went back through with the resouces editor last night and pressed enter after each value, updated resources and then rebooted again. No change. After some further reading, I am starting to think that I am getting the lower resolution with the 0 entry because I have my Tivo set up with a satelite dish (it is a SA tivo, but I use DirecTV with it instead of Cable). I read last night that 0=720x480 for Cable and Antenna, but not for Satelite inputs.

So, in order to test this, I was going to change my input source to cable tv on the Tivo. Unfortunately, the TIVO hung when I was making the change (through Guided Setup) and then, upon reboot, would not get past the "Just a few more minutes" screen.

When I get the time, I am going to start over from the original image and try again. I am convinced that my resolution was 352x480 instead of 720x480 on the 0 setting because of the satelite source. Now I just have to find the time to start over and test my theory. Luckily I made a back up of the original drive a week ago.

BTW, the resource editor does work on the series 2. I use tivowebplus and I had to download the resources module for the 4.0 software to get it to work.

Thanks again for the responses,
MikeAre you changing the Resources for Satelite? Does the resource module for S2 give you three sets of resources to change? DBS, CATV, and Rooftop?
ew

mhartman
06-17-2004, 04:13 PM
Yes, I went ahead and changed the resolutions for all three. Here is the thread where I got the idea that the 0 equates to 352x480 for the dish input:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12736&page=2&pp=15&highlight=tivoweb+resources+resolution

It is deep in the threat somewhere, not very specific, but there are indications that this is the case.

Mike

mhartman
06-17-2004, 04:29 PM
Of course, reading through that thread, they could be talking about DTivo's for that portion. I'm not sure, it is pretty confusing.

Mike