PDA

View Full Version : How to keep track of fsids when assembling a .ty file?

rfc
06-18-2004, 07:58 AM
Downloading .tys with tytool and tserver_mfs7. Occasionally, the telnet console reports "can't find fsid xxxxxx", and stops (sometimes it stops the server too, no big deal, just restart).

When this happens, I look at the "log screen" in tytool and see the last fsid that it tried to find, then "get parts" starting with that fsid.

The problem is that the resulting files in the destination directory go something like:

Show.ty
Show-1.ty
Show-2.ty

I am not sure of the exact auto file naming, but they are not necessarily in order in Windows.

I know I can concat files, but how do you keep track of which files have which fsids in them, and does the order matter when you assemble them into one .ty file?

In other words, is:

copy /b part01.ty + part02.ty

the same as:

copy /b part02.ty + part01.ty?

finally, what does the "/b" do?

tia

ronnythunder
06-18-2004, 09:50 AM
i can answer the last part - the /b says that the files are "binary" and that the copy should continue when it encounters an eof character. absolutely critical when concatenating ty files.

ronny

Waruwaru
06-18-2004, 01:37 PM
In other words, is:

copy /b part01.ty + part02.ty

the same as:

copy /b part02.ty + part01.ty?

No, the order matters.
type copy /? at the DOS command prompt to see more instructions

rfc
06-18-2004, 04:05 PM
Is the fsid number itself contained within each of the files? In windows, looking at a number of associated tys, is there any way to know which are which and in what order they go by looking at them with textpad or whatever? This would help knowing you have them all and that they are in the right order.

I know this is no big deal if the ty comes down with all the fsids in it, but so far I am batting about 50% here--half come all at once, half choke on one fsid of the series.

rfc
06-19-2004, 08:08 AM
As an experiment, in windows, I duplicated a .ty file, and added it to itself (copy /b filepart01.ty + filepart01.ty bigfile.ty), then processed it in tytool, to see if it would "eliminate" duplicate parts of the file.

What I found was a key file that showed no duplicate sequences in the movie, but yet the ty file was twice as big.

How the heck do you make sure you have all the parts to a show without having duplicate segments?

rung
06-19-2004, 02:53 PM
Maybe you could solve your problem another way. You could use mfs_ftp to download your ty's and use a ftp client that supports the resume(restart) feature. Then if it crashes halfway through, you can resume right where you left off.

lart2150
06-19-2004, 03:21 PM
you need a program that does not look at the master chunk. what might have happned is tytool looked at the master chunk it said the end of the movie is at chunk x and that's all it looked for. I think tystudio might be convenced in ignoreing the first chunk. or with dd you can skip the first chunk and then most ty converters will figure out what format the ty is.

rfc
06-19-2004, 10:38 PM
Maybe you could solve your problem another way. You could use mfs_ftp to download your ty's and use a ftp client that supports the resume(restart) feature. Then if it crashes halfway through, you can resume right where you left off.

I have read that people have problems getting tytools to use ty files downloaded with mfs_ftp. In any case, I guess I have chosen to stay completely within tytools to do this.

The download isn't "crashing" per se, it just has a problem finding the next fsid on occasion, and that is no big deal if I understood better what the ramifications are.

If I can develop a simple way to keep track of the fsids as they download, I can either marry them into one or have tytool do the homework figuring out when there is a duplicate.

For all of the hundreds of posts on the program, there is precious little on exactly what it does at each step along the way.

Thanks for the suggestion, however. :)

rfc
06-19-2004, 10:41 PM
you need a program that does not look at the master chunk. what might have happned is tytool looked at the master chunk it said the end of the movie is at chunk x and that's all it looked for. I think tystudio might be convenced in ignoreing the first chunk. or with dd you can skip the first chunk and then most ty converters will figure out what format the ty is.

I hope I did not mis type something in an earlier post. I am using tytool, not tystudio. And FWIW, I am about another 3 weeks of reading away from figuring out what a "master chunk" is. :D