PDA

View Full Version : HEY! TC! This have anything to do with you?

AVD
07-05-2004, 08:08 PM
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=183361

http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:Qj3Im-iQ90AJ:www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php%3Fgoto%3Dlastpost%26t%3D34592+Alarmtronics+TiVo&hl=en

tytyty
07-06-2004, 12:07 AM
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=183361

http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:Qj3Im-iQ90AJ:www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php%3Fgoto%3Dlastpost%26t%3D34592+Alarmtronics+TiVo&hl=en
or this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172463&postcount=8) one?

AVD
07-07-2004, 12:30 AM
im implying that thread closed is alarmtronics

JJBliss
07-07-2004, 12:27 PM

So you're implying that one user is actually another.. yet based on WHAT information?

You guys are hurting my head.

You know, I think AVD is is actually tytyty. Prove you're not. if you can't prove that AVD is not tytyty, you're both banned.

Sound fair?

If not, explain why not, or suffer the consequences of illogical conclusions.

malfunct
07-07-2004, 01:15 PM

I'm fairly certain that TC added alarmtronics to his sig as a jab at sleeper. No need to go further down that path, but I think this is all to try and bug sleeper or make him look bad or something silly like that. I mean its called tivoscript2 and they put alarmtronics name on it, its a direct extension of the silly sleeper ban thread. No need to go any deeper than that.

EDIT: A funny thought, if sleeper and TC were the same person that would make all of this far more humorous to me :)

JJBliss
07-07-2004, 01:25 PM
EDIT: A funny thought, if sleeper and TC were the same person that would make all of this far more humorous to me :)

Wouldn't it be even FUNNIER if malfunct and DB were the same person? Isn't it just like DB to set up an accont, post a few times, lull you into a false sense of security, then post criticizing his other alter ego Thread Closed?

Amazing.. Why didn't I see it before? David Bought is ACTUALLY malfunct AND Sleeper. Harumph.. It's so clear now.

In fact, I think I heard once that David Bought evaded his ban by using the alias AVD. Hmm.. What should we do about this... :mad:

malfunct
07-07-2004, 02:56 PM
Wouldn't it be even FUNNIER if malfunct and DB were the same person? Isn't it just like DB to set up an accont, post a few times, lull you into a false sense of security, then post criticizing his other alter ego Thread Closed?

Amazing.. Why didn't I see it before? David Bought is ACTUALLY malfunct AND Sleeper. Harumph.. It's so clear now.

In fact, I think I heard once that David Bought evaded his ban by using the alias AVD. Hmm.. What should we do about this... :mad:

I think you realize this but I don't care who is who, just like to read the technical posts on here and laugh at the other stuff. I was just trying to point out how alarmtronics and tivoscript and TC are linked based on posts I've read, not based on speculation of who might of posted it. Anything beyond what I saw in black and white is completely unknown to me, the EDIT was just something I laughed at in my head and thought I'd share. Guess my humor wavelength is a bit off today.

I mainly wanted to head of the stupid thread before it got to thousands of posts of speculation but I see that I failed heh.

Alarmtronics
07-07-2004, 06:02 PM

I am not the same person as thread closed, avd, ty, or anyone else. Enough has been said, please end this rediculous discussion at once.

Petition to lock the thread.

tytyty
07-07-2004, 07:21 PM
I only have one personality and its hard enough to keep that one straight.

The alarmtronics refrence was kinda interesting I thought.

JJBliss
07-07-2004, 09:09 PM

Denied.

..at least for now.

AVD
07-07-2004, 10:39 PM
I am not the same person as thread closed, avd, ty, or anyone else. Enough has been said, please end this rediculous discussion at once.

forgive me....

I did a google search on alarmtronics, and all that came up was David....er... "Thread Closed"

Nice script tho...

JJBliss
07-07-2004, 11:07 PM
Since AVD continues to assert that one member of this forum is posing as another member without ever addressing the fact that HE is indeed the same David Bought.

Since AVD is David Bought, he can spend some time in the penalty box.

Anyone else want to point out who David Bought is and is not? Since it stands to reason that anyone who DOES have this information, must surely be Bought himself (Unless of course they can prove otherwise, which AVD has not)

almontebarnes
07-07-2004, 11:34 PM
Since AVD continues to assert that one member of this forum is posing as another member without ever addressing the fact that HE is indeed the same David Bought.

Since AVD is David Bought, he can spend some time in the penalty box.

Anyone else want to point out who David Bought is and is not? Since it stands to reason that anyone who DOES have this information, must surely be Bought himself (Unless of course they can prove otherwise, which AVD has not)

I am David Bought. And so are you.

JJBliss
07-07-2004, 11:42 PM
I am David Bought. And so are you.

Thank you, David. Which account would you like me to ban?

Hmm... I can't remember, have I banned your almontebarnes account yet? I wonder how long it will take till we ban it permanently.

Tiros
07-10-2004, 03:24 PM
Alarmtronics can simply not be David Bought!

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173068&postcount=55

DB never has and never would "contribute" anything.
Also notice how Alarmtronics admits he is not a developer.
That fact alone should convince anyone here that there is no way these users could possibly be related! :)

BTUx9
07-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Over a week ago, Tivoscripts 2.0 was released as a deliberate attempt to poke fun at Sleeper (supporting information supplied upon request).

If anyone has any valid reasons to believe that these posts were NOT intended to be malicious, speak up.

I wonder if the authors, who released it anonymously, were surprised when the moderators' reaction was not to remove the posts, but to chastise the people commenting on it (for making unsupported accusations), and to eventually just add a single line saying this tivoscripts wasn't related to Sleeper's.

Given the precedent, I imagine anyone who'd like to may post TWP 2.0 or mfs_ftp 1.3 or whatever they like, which don't need to have anything to do with the originals.

As this post touches upon how DDB is run, I won't be surprised if it's deleted or moved to the sewer, as many others have been.

alldeadhomiez
07-12-2004, 09:30 PM
Over a week ago, Tivoscripts 2.0 was released as a deliberate attempt to poke fun at Sleeper (supporting information supplied upon request).

If anyone has any valid reasons to believe that these posts were NOT intended to be malicious, speak up.

I wonder if the authors, who released it anonymously, were surprised when the moderators' reaction was not to remove the posts, but to chastise the people commenting on it (for making unsupported accusations), and to eventually just add a single line saying this tivoscripts wasn't related to Sleeper's.

Given the precedent, I imagine anyone who'd like to may post TWP 2.0 or mfs_ftp 1.3 or whatever they like, which don't need to have anything to do with the originals.

As this post touches upon how DDB is run, I won't be surprised if it's deleted or moved to the sewer, as many others have been.

The threads were renamed and a boldfaced warning was added several days ago. By me. You're welcome, and I accept the apology. Next time you might want to consider using the "report a post" link to submit feedback to the staff, instead of waiting a week and then posting a rant.

If you can provide convincing evidence that these utilities do not perform as advertised, we will pull the files. Otherwise, I encourage you to spend your free time on constructive activities such as TiVo software development.

BTUx9
07-12-2004, 10:24 PM
The threads were renamed and a boldfaced warning was added several days ago. By me. You're welcome, and I accept the apology. Next time you might want to consider using the "report a post" link to submit feedback to the staff, instead of waiting a week and then posting a rant.

If you can provide convincing evidence that these utilities do not perform as advertised, we will pull the files. Otherwise, I encourage you to spend your free time on constructive activities such as TiVo software development.
As I said... ALL that was done was adding a line indicating it wasn't sleeper's. I find this far from sufficient, so I won't be thanking you.

So, is the policy of DDB that anyone can release their code under a previously used and recognized name, and that new code doesn't have to have anything to do with the original?

Furthermore, can someone assume a username (for example wcb) and proceed to make remarks derogatory to the individual who is associated with it?

mrblack51
07-12-2004, 11:28 PM
As I said... ALL that was done was adding a line indicating it wasn't sleeper's. I find this far from sufficient, so I won't be thanking you.

So, is the policy of DDB that anyone can release their code under a previously used and recognized name, and that new code doesn't have to have anything to do with the original?

Furthermore, can someone assume a username (for example wcb) and proceed to make remarks derogatory to the individual who is associated with it?

when it becomes necessary to make those sorts of distinctions, they get made on a case by case basis, as with many of the other decisions that get made behind the scenes.

the reason we have open source is that people can take something that is existing, improve upon it, and release it for others to use. As such, if someone wanted to release a "TWP 2.0", they would be welcome to do so. If the code is purposely destructive, and/or is a blatant misrepresentation of functionality, then somehting will be done as appropriate.

If a user is impersonating someone else, be it another account on DDB or one on another well known board, then those sorts of issues will be dealt with on a case by case basis (as they have been in the past).

AVD
07-12-2004, 11:39 PM
I am the eggman, they are the eggmen.
I am the walrus, goo goo g’joob.

AVD
07-12-2004, 11:42 PM

as long at the software works.. who cares, unless something is copyrighted or does somthing malicious or serendipitous.

....and everyoune knows that the original author has no involvement.

BTUx9
07-13-2004, 12:47 AM
the reason we have open source is that people can take something that is existing, improve upon it, and release it for others to use. As such, if someone wanted to release a "TWP 2.0", they would be welcome to do so. If the code is purposely destructive, and/or is a blatant misrepresentation of functionality, then somehting will be done as appropriate.
Just how is that relevant?

Tivoscripts 2 is not based on Tivoscripts 1 in any way, and is different in almost all ways imaginable.

They do 2 completely different things!

and you say that's not misrepresentation?

alldeadhomiez
07-13-2004, 01:16 AM

Tivoscripts 2 is not based on Tivoscripts 1 in any way, and is different in almost all ways imaginable.

The thread title and description were updated several days ago to accurately reflect the contents of the archive. The only people who will be misled are those who do not read the post or the thread that it links to.

If you have a problem with the name of this software, send the author a polite PM asking him to rename it. I will not intervene in this case.

JJBliss
07-13-2004, 01:32 AM

In fact, the name tivoscripts for Sleeper's Series 2 hacking ISO, is almost a non-issue, since most everyone refers to it as with common nomenclature such as "I Sleepered my tivo", or "I used the sleeper cd", or "I downloaded Sleeper's most excellent ISO". It is almost never refered to as tivoscripts1.02.

In fact, when KRavEN did Tivolater 3.1, it was originally named that way by Digitz, who did the first Tivolater for upgrading to 2.5 instead of re-imaging with Xtreme. Noone got up on their high horse. Nowadays, it seems like the hero worship has gotten out of hand. Why haven't I heard any complaints from Sleeper? Just from his fanboys. (no, I'm not David Bought). Stop fighting other peoples battles. Stop worrying about Sleeper and Thread_Closed, and David Bought, and everyone else. Start worrying about BTUx9!

Get over it. Use the script if you want. It works. It's not detrimental. If you want to boycott it. Do so. Who really gives a rats ass anyway? Most people are just happy to have someone do the work for them, and Alarmtronics' script does just that.

BTW: I am in favor of asking him to modify his sig, which still refers to it as an ISO, since it is misleading to the folks who might try to burn it to a cd. other then that, I can't see any foul.

BTUx9: Why are you pushing everyones buttons on this? Why do you feel that this should be your personal fight? Don't you have anything else to do? Shouldn't you be developing something for the tivo community, as opposed to discussing who named what script what, and who got banned from what thread why? Geez. Move along. Nothing to see here