PDA

View Full Version : Problems authoring DVD outside of TyTool

Hathar
07-10-2004, 07:32 PM
I use TyTool to do my extraction, but want to use a different app to author the DVD because TyTool's authoring component doesn't have some features I want.

Anyway, I use TyTool right up until the Create IFO step. At that point, I've tried Nero and TMPGEnc to try to bring in the VOB file and author the DVD. The problem is that the VOB file that TyTool ends up with is not supported by either of these tools, even though Nero will burn it perfectly fine if I author it in TyTool.

Is there something I can do to make it so I can use another authoring tool?

captain_video
07-10-2004, 10:37 PM
Create mpegs with TyTools instead of VOBs. Depending on what authoring program you plan on using, mpegs created from ty files can be imported directly into some programs (DVD-Lab) with no header patching while others (Ulead's DVD Movie Factory or DVD Workshop) may require that you patch the first header with DVDPatcher to a DVD-compliant format so the program will import the file. I have used both DVD Workshop and DVD-Lab to create multiple-episode compilations with nice menus, intro videos, chapter stops, etc. I prefer DVD-Lab since it requires no header patching for importing DTivo mpegs (480X480 resolution).

malfunct
07-11-2004, 01:07 AM
I use TyTool to do my extraction, but want to use a different app to author the DVD because TyTool's authoring component doesn't have some features I want.

Anyway, I use TyTool right up until the Create IFO step. At that point, I've tried Nero and TMPGEnc to try to bring in the VOB file and author the DVD. The problem is that the VOB file that TyTool ends up with is not supported by either of these tools, even though Nero will burn it perfectly fine if I author it in TyTool.

Is there something I can do to make it so I can use another authoring tool?

The next couple of versions of tytool may help with this situation. JDiner has been working very hard to make the output of tytool make other mpeg editors and such more happy.

Hathar
07-11-2004, 07:34 PM
> Create mpegs with TyTools instead of VOBs.

I cannot find way to create anything but VOBs with TyTool.

malfunct
07-11-2004, 08:01 PM
> Create mpegs with TyTools instead of VOBs.

I cannot find way to create anything but VOBs with TyTool.

Multiplex the file instead of vob-mux. Different menu item.

doungchak
07-19-2004, 08:41 PM
The next couple of versions of tytool may help with this situation. JDiner has been working very hard to make the output of tytool make other mpeg editors and such more happy.

What type of changes are required. It's an interesting process. I've been trying to figure out how to get things into DVD Workshop. It seems to work fine, but DVD Workshop then tries to re-encode everything. That's pretty annoying.

In any case, I'm just curious. I've figured out that DVD Workshop doesn't like the 480x480 res. When I patch the header, it seems to skip re-encoding, but craps out when I try to play the DVD.

Let me know if I can help.

captain_video
07-19-2004, 10:31 PM
What type of changes are required. It's an interesting process. I've been trying to figure out how to get things into DVD Workshop.
You have to patch the first video header of each mpeg file you import to 352X480 @ 3.5MBit using DVD Patcher. This will keep the file sizes the same and won't transcode anything during the compilation process. When you've compiled to file set, repatch all of the VOB files in their entirety back to 480X480 @ 15MBit. You can then burn the DVD and it should play correctly.

The reason you need to patch the header in the first place is to make the file recognizable to the authoring software as a DVD-compliant mpeg file. If you try and use 720X480 it will try to re-encode the file and you'll end up with a file many times the original size. If you don't repatch the header back to the original setting of 480X480 your DVD player will think your VOBs are all at 352X480 and attempt to display them accordingly. Of course this will only work for the first header and the rest will be displayed erroneously.

DVD Workshop melds all of the mpegs into one continuous set of VOB files rather than breaking them out into individual VOBs for each mpeg file, which is why you need to repatch the entire file. There's no way of knowing exactly where the first header is located so you need to patch the entire file to make sure you pick up the first header of each title.