PDA

View Full Version : Final Post

BTUx9
07-13-2004, 02:13 AM
After a long discussion with Vadim about the realities of DDB, I find I can no longer stay here. I didn't want to just vanish, so this message is to let people know I'm leaving on ethical grounds, and the closing of my account was entirely my own decision.

Maybe I'll come back some day, if there are rules to stop the abuse of power, but that doesn't seem likely.

Feel free to find me on IRC (#TivoDev on freenode.net) or Yahoo (BTUx) and I hope people will use the developer's wiki on alt.org (I'll try to continue working on it)

Moderators: You're welcome

JJBliss
07-13-2004, 08:22 AM
Thank you for tending to this yourself, before we had to do it. You were headed down a bad path anyway. However, just to make sure you don't go back on your word, your account has been banned.

It is a shame that you bent poor Vadim's ear about your foolishness.

What you perceived as an "abuse of power" was merely excercising it, not abusing it.

Sometimes, the police won't let you blow through the stop sign, no matter how much you want to do it, or complain to the judge. Sorry.

You're not the kind of person we want here at DDB anyway.

Bye.

Sleeper
07-14-2004, 01:10 AM
You're not the kind of person we want here at DDB anyway.

Actually, I think he is/was a great asset to the community. I back that statement up by his posts. Most of them were helping people with their tivo problems.

His other posts, mostly dealing with his postition on the politics of DDB were mostly RIGHT ON. The problem is that authority does not like to be criticized, even when it is constructive and accurate.

alldeadhomiez
07-14-2004, 10:01 AM
His other posts, mostly dealing with his postition on the politics of DDB were mostly RIGHT ON. The problem is that authority does not like to be criticized, even when it is constructive and accurate.

Judging from your recent temper tantrum(s), you don't like to be criticized either, even when it is constructive and accurate. I question why somebody who has made such poor decisions (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=168320&postcount=2) lately would be telling anyone how to run a site. Do the kids in detention tell the principal how to do his job?

We are well aware of your position on how much you think the mods suck, how you think BTUx9 is a great guy, how anyone who is pissed off at us for any reason is "RIGHT ON," etc. You are entitled to your opinion, but I'm getting really sick of hearing it over and over; this board is for hacking, not politics. Please refer to this thread (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=173372#post173372) if you are unclear on what kinds of suggestions will be entertained.

Post just one more message or send one more PM attempting to stir up dissent, and you will join BTUx9 in troll heaven.

If you wish, I will close this thread so that you are not tempted to post something that will get yourself banned (again).

Sleeper
07-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Post just one more message or send one more PM attempting to stir up dissent, and you will join BTUx9 in troll heaven.

Are you reading my PM's? If you are, isn't that a violation of my privacy. If you are not, then how would you know what I have said in PM?

alldeadhomiez
07-14-2004, 11:42 AM
Are you reading my PM's? If you are, isn't that a violation of my privacy. If you are not, then how would you know what I have said in PM?

Sigh... you just don't get it.

We let you say pretty much anything you want. You have more freedom here than TCF members could even dream of. All we ask is that you follow a few common sense rules, and don't bite the hand that feeds you.

If you wish to remain a member here, you will not attack the site, its staff, or our decisions, period. Continue your attempts to disrupt the forum, and you will be banned.

Understood?

Tiros
07-14-2004, 12:39 PM
What is the obsession here that no one can question a mod or how the board is run? This is the sewer. This is the place for this kind of BS. Some of the liveliest conversations occur here. I really don't understand how arguing in the sewer affects anyone except those in the argument. If it occurs "in thread", it can be moved here as done in the past.

Most people here are Americans. Questioning the government is a way of life. When our ability to question authority becomes restricted we fight/revolt. Some have already "died" for the cause. Can someone explain once and for all how questioning a mod, or decision, who a user might be, the content of PM etc. will lead to the demise of this site. Is it a bandwidth/server space issue?Is it really worth it to enforce Gestapo tactics here? Whats the harm?

Please don't attack/flame me for this. It is an honest question that means no disrespect.

alldeadhomiez
07-14-2004, 02:13 PM
What is the obsession here that no one can question a mod or how the board is run? This is the sewer. This is the place for this kind of BS. Some of the liveliest conversations occur here. I really don't understand how arguing in the sewer affects anyone except those in the argument. If it occurs "in thread", it can be moved here as done in the past.

Most people here are Americans. Questioning the government is a way of life. When our ability to question authority becomes restricted we fight/revolt. Some have already "died" for the cause. Can someone explain once and for all how questioning a mod, or decision, who a user might be, the content of PM etc. will lead to the demise of this site. Is it a bandwidth/server space issue?Is it really worth it to enforce Gestapo tactics here? Whats the harm?

Please don't attack/flame me for this. It is an honest question that means no disrespect.

Hmmm.. what's this got to do with hacking? Oh, right.. nothing.

Go play "Paul Revere" somewhere else. Sewer or not, the rules apply to everyone.

-Thread Closed-

oh, sorry...

-Gewinde schlo-

rc3105
07-23-2004, 01:05 PM

the diplomatic answer:

ddb is not a government entity - it's a private club

there are some written rules & some unwritten rules

anyone willing to try & get along is welcome - anyone wishing to stir up trouble is welcome to leave and start their own forum (as vadim did many moons ago)

the mods here have ALL contributed significantly to the hacking community (publicly or privatly) and earned a bit of leeway. (it's a volunteer position and the agravation FAR outweighs the perks) - public criticism is VERY annoying - especially when the "report this post" function and pm are both available

the rude reply:

them's the breaks, deal with it ;)