PDA

View Full Version : Catalog & Playing over Ethernet

rusten
08-28-2001, 07:29 AM
Now that ExactStream is out, does anyone know whether hobbyists are working on a redirect of the file system over Ethernet where TiVo will locate a network file share and catalog the streams / allow them to be played?

I have two TiVo's in the house and my goal is to eventually have a single Network Attached Storage device in a remote area of the house, well cooled, and lots of storage that allows remote TiVo's around the house to play from the same shared file system. This could replace the internal TiVo file store all together as far as I'm concerned.

If anyone knows of a group working on this, I would like to offer my help/participation.

Thank you in advance,
Rusten

Vadim
08-28-2001, 08:42 AM
I think its the guys at #tivo, don't know how to get in contact with them.

embeem
08-28-2001, 06:45 PM
-

KRavEN
08-29-2001, 04:14 PM
Embeem, would you mind sending a PM to either me or Vadim with the information that was recently editied out of an AVS post you made? If you truly believe that TiVO would change the upcoming 2.5 rollout because of that information, then we will keep it under wraps until 2.5 is fully deployed. We have been working on the linuxrc problem for a while now and have gained a great deal of information about the DTivo's in the process, much of which we have not disclosed to anyone. Any help or nudge in the right direction you could give us would be greatly appreciated.

rusten
08-31-2001, 06:44 AM
I wasn't suggesting anything unethical, I was talking about essentially replacing the drives (used as storage devices, not as boot devices) inside the TiVo with a NAS option.

This would allow sharing between all video units in the house, enable you to keep storage the way it was intended (outside some compaq box with inadequate cooling and limited storage potential).

This is a project I would like to lend a hand in - however I can.

Thanks in advance,
Rusten

TroyCarpenter
09-06-2001, 10:29 AM
But I DO want some type of extraction. I want to be able to stream my recordings not only to another TiVo in the home, if I ever get one, but I want to stream the video to any PC on my home network as well.

I want the TiVo to be able to record my analog home video recordings, and be able to extract them for editing on my home computer.

I want the TiVo to be able to play video streamed from the internet.

I want the TiVo to play my MPEG1/MPEG2/DiVX ;)/AVI files from my PC which I have downloaded.

It sounds like I want a ReplayTV 4000.